PDA

View Full Version : Trimming ends

Sammie_holms
May 18th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hey so I am new here and really know nothing about caring for your hair. I have a question about trimming your hair on your own. How does one go about doing this? And is there any way to get rid of dye from hair( it is semi-perminate but seems to be stubborn) without killing all the hair in the process?

Thanks ever so much :)

faellen
May 18th, 2012, 07:48 AM
There's some great self-trim instructions here: http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/ :)

What semi-permanent dye did you use? :)

Sammie_holms
May 18th, 2012, 07:51 AM
It was Garnier Herbashine. Only about 3 shades darker and it came out red for some reason.

ps Thanks for the link :)

red-again
May 18th, 2012, 07:59 AM
HI there!
As faellen has already linked for you , the faye's self trim method is good.
The one thing you will nneed to do the trimming yourself is some proper hairdressing scissors, they are super sharp, the blades pass at the right angles and therefore they give you hair strands blunt ends not ragged ones that will result in more damage. I bought mine from ebay they were aboout £12

re the hair dye, seeing as it's a semi the least damaging way to get rid will be to give it time to fade / wash out.

You will get all the help you ask for on this forum though so don't worry!

faellen
May 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM
It was Garnier Herbashine. Only about 3 shades darker and it came out red for some reason.

ps Thanks for the link :)

Ahhh I see, just wondering in case it was a vegetable dye which are sometimes meant to be semi-perm but never are!

I agree with red-again, the least damaging thing to do is to let the colour fade. I've heard that anti-dandruff shampoos can help with fading, though I have no personal experience with this.
I also agree about the hairdressing scissors, plus they come in really cool colours on eBay :D

Sammie_holms
May 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
So another question. Do you condition your hair (like deep condition) before you trim?

faellen
May 19th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I don't personally but I guess you could?

Humbug454
May 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Feye's self trimming is very useful :)

Posted somewhere on LHC, but here is a link because I never seem to find it here!

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

red-again
May 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I don't deep condition my hair b4 as when it is less nourished it is much easier to see the damaged bits. When it is oiled / deep conditioned then I would be worried about cutting off healthy ends too as I would have a hard job differentiating .

You could defo deep condish post trim though

88Marisa
May 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I came across a mention of washing with laundry detergent being an effective way to get rid of stubborn demi-permanent dye. It'll dry your hair out a lot though, so be prepared to do a deep treatment immediately afterward.

Dovetail
May 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I think if you really want to Trim yourself to get rid of damaged hair then I think the self trimming links above are great. But, if you are in between trims like those and you see all kinds of split ends, there is a link on here that talks about twisting sections of hair about 1/2" thick and then sliding your fingers up them a bit to get the ends out, and then meticulously trimming each split end. I only mention this because split ends drive me wild and I'll snip them when watching tv and such.

Sammie_holms
May 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM
Can you self trim at APL hair? I have a hard time seeing what I am doing.

Heatherzilla
May 21st, 2012, 08:17 AM
Mixing a bit of shampoo with some baking soda and washing your hair with that will fade the colour. It'll also get rid of any product buildup and stuff that could be coating your hair and stopping the colour from fading. It can dry your hair out a bit so you'll want to use a ton of conditioner afterwards or do a deep treatment or something.

I've also found that heavily oiling my hair fades dye a bit. Though I was using a veggie dye so I'm not sure if it would work with what you've used.

jacqueline101
June 3rd, 2012, 08:08 PM
The feye method is the one I'm going to try don't trim unless your ends are split micro trim when they are a bit thin.