PDA

View Full Version : Self trimming question/evil slippery hair

Ticky
May 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I have been self trimming for close to two years now. When I started, I had fairytale ends, so it was obviously easier to cut and took a minute to get over with.

Since then, i continued trimming almost every month and now my ends are quite thick, which makes it a bit challenging to trim. No matter how I hold them, they seem to wiggle around and I have to fix my hemline because it ends up a little crooked :doh:

So my question is, does it happen to you? Any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

ETA: I used Feye's method, and it worked well in the past, but not so well lately

jacqueline101
May 18th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I'm not there yet but I'm going to try the feye self trim method. To hold hair still you might invest in a crea clip.

Ticky
May 18th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Unfortunately, I can't order online, but thank you for the suggestion :)

BlazingHeart
May 18th, 2012, 04:02 PM
If the creaclip idea interests you, at least one of our own made a home-made version. The thread is here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69398

lapushka
May 18th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I have thick ends too, and it's a challenge for trimming! Getting the scissors through it, for one. My mom cuts it for me and complains every time. It's not a quick snip, that's for sure. One thing, don't do the straight across cut. You will end up with crooked ends if your hair is thick. Pick one of the shaped hemlines and then finish off with the straight across cut, as Feye's method suggests. Far less chance of it ending up crooked.

Ticky
May 19th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I think I will try Feye's method next time I trim, but the way you suggested, lapushka. And if it doesn't work, I'll probably look into the crea clip idea. Thank you both, great suggestions :)

spidermom
May 19th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I'm having success with dividing my hair down the middle, then combing/brushing each side very smooth as I bring it around to the front. I make a single ponytail out of both sides right under my chin, then close a book over my length and slide the book down toward the ends, then cut straight across the ends. It gives the hem you see in my sig pic.

embee
May 19th, 2012, 09:30 AM
spidermom, you are *so* clever to even think of this technique. :)

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I make a single ponytail out of both sides right under my chin, then close a book over my length and slide the book down toward the ends, then cut straight across the ends.

That's really clever! :thumbsup:

Ticky
May 19th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I agree, what a clever technique spidermom :D Thank you for sharing

MissManda
May 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I have also been using Feye's Method to create my shallow U-shaped hemline for a couple of years now and that has worked very well. One thing that I prefer to do to get my ends to cooperate better while trimming is to do it on dirty hair as opposed to wet or dry and freshly washed. My hair is much flatter and sticks to itself a bit better so there are less stray hairs. There's just too much frizz and slipperiness to deal with if I were to try to cut my hair when it is clean, while wet or damp hair will not stay in place AT ALL.

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
One thing that I prefer to do to get my ends to cooperate better while trimming is to do it on dirty hair as opposed to wet or dry and freshly washed. My hair is much flatter and sticks to itself a bit better so there are less stray hairs. There's just too much frizz and slipperiness to deal with if I were to try to cut my hair when it is clean, while wet or damp hair will not stay in place AT ALL.

Same here, also on dirty hair. Dirty, dry hair. Then after a wash, the cut seems very new, very fresh, with a new, neat hem.

Ticky
May 20th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Yup, I find that too. When it's dirty it is easier and escapes less. *Absorbing all the tips like a sponge :D*

white.chocolate
May 20th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I don't cut mine with dirty, oily hair, because I find my hair easier to manage after a wash. Not wet, but slightly damp so only about 5 inches from the ends are already dry. I don't know what kind of hair style you have. If you have some layers, I can't help you there; I don't have the experience. I have a blunt hemline, and this is what I do:

Take a small section of hair (vertical sections, from the top of the head to the bottom) for each cut, separating and securing the rest with a clip or ponytail holder. Basically, follow the hemline from the previous cut. Keep in mind how much you want to cut. If, say, 1 cm is to be cut off, follow that amount for each section of hair. Bring that section of hair in front of you. The angle you're holding it does not matter of course. Holding the section with 2 fingers, make sure that the ends are lying even. Cut with a ~45 degree angle. Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqXNwcvJgMI&feature=related Please don't mind the talking, and skip to 1:06. It's for cutting bangs, but it's the same idea.

I hope my explanation was clear, and I hope it helps. My hair is slippery, too, but I don't find that a problem when cutting using this method. Also, this is the only method I have tried to cut hair. It works for me so far.

Ticky
May 20th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I don't have layers either. Yes, the explanation is clear and it sure will help :) thank you!

jojo
May 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I have slippy, fine hair so totally get where your coming from. I use a creaclip, but i comb all my hair over my head and then trim the whispy bits off, i get a straight hem everytime and the creaclip holds even my hair down well!

Amapola
May 20th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Well... I don't do this on human hair, I do it on horsehair, but there are times I need to get some horsehair really, really even. What I do is use these extremely sharp scissors. They say "J A Henckels" and "Polyester Double Knits" on them, and I believe they are made in Brazil. They are the type of scissor that does not have two cutting edges; instead they have one very sharp cutting edge, and a sort of ridged holding blade or anvil on the other edge. These babies are *SHARP*. You can snip right through a 1/2" thick piece of leather with the last 1/4" of the tips of the blades. Before you ask, yes, I've cut myself with them... they are that sharp. It's like getting cut with a scalpel.

Anyway, I think those ridges on the one blade really help to hold the hair still, and not let it slide and make your cut uneven. I bought these shears years ago at a very fine knife/cutlery shop. If you could find scissors like that it might really help.

Ticky
May 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
My scissors are pretty sharp now, just ask my (poor, poor) fingers :o they haven't been sharpened in a while though, maybe it is time.

white.chocolate
May 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM
You are welcome! :) Glad that it will be helpful.