PDA

View Full Version : how to get rid of post-oil cruncy ends!!!

LadyHazel
May 18th, 2012, 01:41 AM
How do I get rid of post coconut oil crunchy ends as it is making my hair look like its covered in split ends and frizz but when I seperate the strands ssome of them haave crunched and its doing my head in!

Thanks!

Boulder dash
May 18th, 2012, 04:48 AM
what sort of coconut oil are you using? i think their is a marked difference between virgin and one with added scent etc. Did u C.O wash the oil out? It could also be a protein overload? Hope this helps :)

auburntressed
May 18th, 2012, 04:59 AM
If coconut or any oil was doing that to my hair, I would probably clarify then lay off the oils for a bit.

afu
May 18th, 2012, 05:04 AM
A clarify is probably your best bet. Sometimes oils can build up resulting in crunchiness

LadyHazel
May 18th, 2012, 05:59 AM
It may be due to the protein as some of my ends were going in a zig-zag pattern which is absolutely bizzare. I have clarifying, deep conditioned and smoothed with serum so hopefully the zig-zags are not so zig-zaggy? Anymore. LOL!

Just waiting for my hair to try *.*, thanks girls x

jacqueline101
May 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'd clarify if you have damage trim it off.

Amanah
May 18th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Maybe your hair does not need/like coconut oil, maybe jojoba oil would work better for you?
I personally have stopped using coconut on my hair and use it on my body insead. I love the way it feels on my face/body, it's so silky. I even massage it into my feet, heels especially, it's luxuriant and I feel so pampered after I'm done using it as a body moisturizer.

After I wash my hair I just use a drop of jojoba smeared on my palms and applied to the ends of my hair, never the area near my forehead as that tends to get greasy all by itself. It's the same consistency of sebum and just makes my hair look like it's naturally shiny, but not greasy

catamonica
May 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Well I have not used coconut oil. But after I wash my hair, I mix conditioner & olive oil in a little bottle. I put it on the ends 4 times. About a minute & a half. Then rinse. The ends are really soft. If you put 1-2 capfuls of olive oil in your shampoo & conditioner, it will make your hair soft.
And if you add 1 capful of Aloe Vera gel to your conditioner, it makes your hair baby soft. I hope this will help your hair.

gogirlanime
May 18th, 2012, 01:45 PM
It also could be that you are getting too much moisture and need protein instead

ravenreed
May 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I get crunchy ends from both olive oil and coconut oil. I switched to lighter oils and only use coconut oil as a pre-treatment for when I dye my hair. The oil I use most is a mix of camellia and argon. I don't get crunchy hair from it.

Anje
May 18th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Usually when my ends get zig-zaggy, it's a sign they need moisture. Soaking your hair in your best conditioner or moisture treatment would be useful.

krissykins
May 19th, 2012, 01:54 AM
It sounds like protein overload. Coconut oil helps prevent protein loss, and for some people, that can cause crunchy ends. A moisturizing yet protein-free deep treatment may be in order. In all likelihood, you will not have to trim your ends, but it may help to clarify your hair. If you are using a refined coconut oil, try switching to unrefined for better results. It may also be in your favor to try a different oil altogether.

Littlewing13
May 19th, 2012, 05:32 AM
according to ktani, any conditioner will build up to form a layer, and any use of oil on top of that can cause crunchiness.

my2cats1
May 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Do you put the coconut oil on while your hair is damp? I had crunchiness too until I started to apply it on dry hair only.

ravenreed
May 19th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I don't agree with this. I haven't ever had camellia oil or argon oil cause me crunchiness, and I CO. I think the trick is to find the right oil for your hair.

according to ktani, any conditioner will build up to form a layer, and any use of oil on top of that can cause crunchiness.

jeanniet
May 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM
I don't agree with this. I haven't ever had camellia oil or argon oil cause me crunchiness, and I CO. I think the trick is to find the right oil for your hair.
I think you're right that it depends on what your hair likes. If I use what my hair likes, then I don't get build up from conditioner, and seldom have to clarify.

Amber_Maiden
May 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I think that you should try other types of oil. You can try and revisit coconut oil at a later date.

Dovetail
May 20th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I had this happen when I tried olive oil once before (virgin) on my wet hair. I ended up using conditioner, letting it sit, and rinsing it out. I didn't know then anything at all about hair, and thought for sure the conditioner would ruin the oil treatment. in the end though it was super silky. Maybe if you take a break for a while and let your hair get back to normal before trying again, or like others have said trying other oils might work too.