PDA

View Full Version : Split-Ender Tool

CavyQueen
May 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi! I came across this advertisement for the "Split-Ender" tool. Does anyone think it is a good or bad tool to use? Is it a gimmick? Thank you for your help :) http://www.splitender.com/

Carissamarie08
May 17th, 2012, 07:55 PM
This is really interesting, but I'd like to see a video of how this works... I don't get it.

OilPaint
May 17th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Definitely an interesting idea, but I would be a little worried that this is a gimmick to get your money and sell the oil beads. This would still be trimming only part of the split end if it worked exactly like the diagram shows, so I'm not sure it would solve the problem. It may smooth your hair a bit, but I would worry about it damaging my hair in the long run...

If you try it, let us know. I've never seen it before.

Capybara
May 17th, 2012, 08:02 PM
There are a few threads on this: thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9878)

I remember hearing about this (was it tv? A magazine?) and researching. To my recollection, it didn't receive very good user reviews. It cuts like a razor apparently, which may be something to consider.

Madora
May 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hogwash, pure and simple.

Split ends can occur anywhere on a strand. How is that contraption going to distinguish a split end from a strand that may be shorter than the rest of the hair?

There's a sucker born every minute..and this gimmick proves it.

OilPaint
May 17th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Ouch. There are some really bad reviews of that thing, evidently. Thanks Capybara for providing the thread link!

shirohane
May 17th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Well, S&D seems a lot safer for hair so I'll keep doing that instead.

piffyanne
May 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Well, while wandering around the reviews on various websites, I kept seeing rave review after rave review, which made the ones complaining how it pulls, tugs, and tangles seem particularly jarring (one said that, after using it once, they started marveling about how the actresses were really good at not registering the pain they must have been feeling.)

Anyhow, the "this is the best thing ever invented, go buy it and be sure to get the real one, not the knock-off. Here's the website, just to make it all easier for you" reviews were sounding a little too sappy, if you know what I mean, and then I came across this comment: "Yes it does work for all hair types including afro carribbean hair no matter how tight." That's verbatim, I kid you not. Now, I've never had tightly-curled african/carribean hair myself, but my cousin, who does, has curls that are suuuuper tight, and I just can NOT believe it would work on hers the way it does on all the straightened hair Every Single Person in the infomercials is swishing around. I think they're trying to tell us something, and it's not "this works for curlies, too."

I suspect a lot of the reviews are paid plants (and I don't mean the green, growing kind.)

I may just be paranoid, but I'm gonna get my jumbo-grain-size salt shaker, just in case.

No, I don't own one, I've never used one, and I don't intend to. As the Monk theme song says, "I could be wrong, now, BUT I DON'T THINK SO!"

Carolyn
May 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I've said this before in several of the previous Split Ender threads...how can putting whirling razor blades in your hair be a good thing? :crazyq:

julierockhead
May 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM
:agape:Run, don't walk, away from that thing,

BunnyWabbit
May 17th, 2012, 11:42 PM
I actually have one from about 8 or so years ago. I haven't used it in a long time, but I do remember it let me go longer in between getting trims/hair cuts from a hair dresser. At the time I knew not even a 10th as much about hair as I do now, but for my dry, cheap flat-ironed curly hair, it helped. And it was a lot quicker than search and destroy. I don't remember it tugging on my hair or causing any pain or anything like that. In fact I found it at my parents house recently and was thinking of bringing it home to try it out again. That said, I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it now, but because I already have one, I may try it out again. It didn't do any damage and like I said, it was a really quick and easy microtim device.

BlazingHeart
May 18th, 2012, 02:48 AM
And they're not just whirling razor blades, they're whirling razor blades you have no ability to sharpen. How many times has it been said here that sharp tools are essential to successful hair trims and S&D?

I remember seeing a Youtube review of this thing, and it made a horrible, loud grating noise. It kind of reminded me of a blender with ice cubes in it - not quite that noisy, but a very similar quality to the sound. And while it wasn't blender-with-ice-cubes loud, it was still very loud. Obnoxious, really.

~Blaze

emma907
May 18th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I have one, i've used it a few times, it's not that bad I found it useful for chopping the ends off in my shorter layers - it basically trims off the ends of all of the hair.

I don't use it enough to worry about it getting blunt any time soon.

I still prefer a good old pair of scissors however!!

battle_angel
May 18th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Well, the idea seems good in theory, but I tend to be skeptical when such "miracle" tools appear on the market. The wonderful members of LHC that posted before me made some really good points and I wouldn't buy the thing (despite the one or two positive experiences).
Taking good care of hair and S&D once a month isn't THAT bad. :)

What do you think?
- Laetitia

Littlewing13
May 18th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't touch it. Gimmick at best, destroy your hair at worst! Its not that hard to S&D or get regular trims anyway.

jacqueline101
May 18th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I hate to be negative it looks harsh.

Alvrodul
May 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM
This tool is guaranteed to give you a large and steady crop of split ends.
I've seen a thread or two on this sort of thing here - and the wisdom I brought back from there was that using this would be a fast and easy way to ruin your hair.

pepperminttea
May 18th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Be very, very wary (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1643549#post1643549). shudder:

Miss Catrina
May 18th, 2012, 06:27 PM
No no no no no. I would never trust it. Best case scenario, it looks to me like it would cut the hair in a way similar to a razor, which isn't good for hair.

Dars
May 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Would not touch that thing in a million years!

Shermie Girl
May 18th, 2012, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't let that thing within a mile of my hair. :scared:

CavyQueen
May 19th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Thank you for your responses. I guess it's a big NO!!!!!

Humbug454
May 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Definite no! Wouldn't trust this at all!

Also just running a quick search brings up MANY bad reviews!