PDA

View Full Version : What was your first change?

MonkeyMagic
May 17th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Hi! I'm new here and I've been trying to learn all the amazing tips, trick, and advice you all have but at times it's overwhelming and I don't know where to start. If any of you can remember the beginning of your long hair journeys...what were the first changes or additions to your routines that you made in your hair routine to gain healthier hair? :)

kitcatsmeow
May 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
This is my timeline

I started experimenting with oils and deep treatments. Which I am actually still doing over a year later. I already stretched washes.

Cut 5 inches of really bad, broken hair. Good move.

First BIG change that really made a difference....stopped the heat styling. No blow drying, no curling irons and def no flat irons. Best thing I ever did for my hair.

Then stopped all the harsh styling products.

I wear my hair up or braided all the time now.

Letting my natural color grow out. No more bleaching!

Last thing I did was switch toall natural sulfate free shampoo, silicone free conditioner.

I can honestly say my hair is 100% better than the sad state it was in when I first became active on LHC.

Madora
May 17th, 2012, 08:08 PM
In 1960 I read all about Dr. George Michael's principles for beautiful, healthy hair. That changed my hair outlook forever.

OilPaint
May 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm new here, too; and my first step was to start protecting it by keeping it up in a bun or pulled into a braid, and not washing it to death like I used to.

My first big step in changing my routine is going to be finding the right way to oil my hair and which oils work best for me.
Yay experimentation! :joy:

Five of Five
May 17th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I was quite resistant to adopting full LHC methods at first, because I simply didn't care about my hair that much until lurking around and seeing everyone's stunning hair. I realised it was possible for me to have nice hair too, even though it is so fine.

The first thing I did was give up my almost daily blowfrying. By necessity, this also meant that I had to stop washing my hair every day (as I would have wet or damp hair almost 24/7 otherwise). After I noticed the dramatic difference this change made to my hair, I became more open to other LHC methods.

ETA: you might find this article helpful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=39

Honeyfall
May 17th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Welcome to the LHC, MonkeyMagic!

I would say my first real change was giving up heat styling, I used to take a blowdryer to it at least every other day. That alone made a huge difference. Shortly thereafter I went CO, and that has also been amazing. I've tried a lot of other things, but those are the two that seem to stick best...

Good luck with your growing, I am so excited for you! I remember it being really fun when I first started - looking up threads and finding out all sorts of cool things and all that. :D

Littlewing13
May 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM
tee hee monkey magic is an awesome show! Welcome.

I highly recommend you only change one thing at a time & give it 2-6 weeks in between each change. There are so many variables to hair care & what works for one person may not work for you & may even have negative consequences, so to keep track of this only change one thing at a time.

Keep in mind: hair grows. Its not so much what you do as what you don't do to it that eventually gives you long hair. The more damage your hair has the more often you want to cut it. So try to minimise damage. Damage includes: chemical (colour, perms & relaxers, harsh shampoos etc) & mechanical (brushing roughly, tangles, etc), & heat (blowdryers, irons etc). What you can get away with depends on your hair type. Some people with thick strong coarse hair can bleach & iron their hair & grow very long. My hair for example will only grow to shoulder length that way before breaking.

Read some of the articles in the hair care section for more info.

My 1st change was no heat. At first was just no irons, then no blowdryer. Each stage along the way my hair gets in better condition bit by bit. Next I stopped lightening & used henna instead. This has made the biggest difference for me but if considering henna you need to do tonnes of research. I read up on it & asked questions for months before trying a bit. I've changed many things since then but those were the main things I started with.

julierockhead
May 17th, 2012, 09:52 PM
First change was getting rid of SLS products and trying CO washing. I am still SLS free, and CO wash often, but not exclusively.

Next was oiling the length with coconut oil, then various other oils...my hair loves oil, except for EVOO deep treatments. I want to try broccoli oil, it is supposed to rival silicones as a shine serum.

Then I put my $60 blowfryer in a bag deep, deep in the back of my closet. Haven't missed it.

Then I started experimenting with castor oil on my scalp for faster growth, and have tried a variety of recipes with other oils mixed with castor, including essential oils, almost always with good and fragrant results!

Then, after a lifetime of being too chicken, I went red with henna. No turning back!

Right now I am doing an SMT (on my daughter too), which is probably the best, easiest and cheapest deep treatment there is for moisture. I would actually recommend it as a first step to getting your hair healthy.

TLHC HAS TURNED ME INTO A HAIR CARE/HAIR KNOWLEDGE JUNKIE!

elbow chic
May 17th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Started keeping it contained as much as possible. (either up or braided, day and night, except for "special" occasions.)

Reduces tangles, which means less mechanical damage from combing/brushing tangles out. Helps keep it clean, so stretching washes comes naturally. Prevents most mechanical damage from doors, purse straps, chair-backs, seat belts, curious toddlers, you name it!

Also, if it's in an updo all the time, I am not tempted to blowfry it first. ;)

It's the most important thing I did to grow it out-- previous to this, I was convinced I could NOT grow my hair much past shoulder/apl without it looking horrid. I had tried several times as a teenager and it just never worked before the info I got at LHC. Now I know... I have a huge amount of very fine, fragile hair, not a headful of indestructible coarse hair like my mom's. ;)

I also started using waaayyy more conditioner and significantly less shampoo. I don't shampoo my length much anymore, just a tad bit on my scalp and fringe. I use like two palmfuls of conditioner per wash, though. :D

HumanBean
May 17th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I also already stretched washes (about every 5 days, now I can go a week or more), but the first thing i started doing was airdrying after a wash (or mostly anyway), and I gave up the full shampooing, and now only shampoo the scalp (CWC). I also started ACV rinses.

Immediately my dry scalp issues went away. So I've kept those things up.

Since then I added in oiling the night before a wash, and this has helped the dryness in my ends a lot. I'll be keeping that in my routine too.

I have tried SMT a few times but it hasn't helped much. I might not be doing it right.

Darkessa
May 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I stopped washing my hair every day
Stopped using a paddle brush
Started drying my hair more gently
Stopped combing while wet
Stopped heat styling (This one took a while to truly kick the habit)

Those alone will help immensely with the health of your hair.

A few more that I didnt do immediately...

Wear it up more often
Oil before washing
Went cone free to help stretch washes

ladylowtide
May 17th, 2012, 11:18 PM
1. henna
2. CWC
3. Started using only my BBB and horn comb.
4. Stretched washes to every 4 days
5. Learned updos with the fork.
6. Stopped using bad elastics.
7. Stretched to washing every 6-7 days.
8. Started oiling the ends
9. Finally caved and got scrunchies. I'll never go back...

MonicaJean
May 18th, 2012, 12:32 AM
diluting shampoo! That was my first change, and also the change that has had the biggest impact. :)

luxepiggy
May 18th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Baby steps. The best advice I came across when I first joined LHC was to take things slowly. Make one change at a time, so you can pinpoint what works and what doesn't. Don't try to revamp your whole routine in a week, because it will probably make your hair very angry.

The first thing I did was change the way I use my hair dryer: using only the "cool" setting, and stopping when my hair was 90% dry.

I experimented with oiling next, but realized after a few months that oiling really isn't for me. That's when I started intensively researching the properties of all the different types of silicones, which eventually led to my current amodimethicone-only routine (^(oo)^)v

jeanniet
May 18th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I think oiling was the first thing for me. Then I just started being more gentle with my hair--not using a harsh shampoo, gentle combing, etc. Just make sure you go slowly so you have some idea of what's working and what's not.

MonaLisa
May 18th, 2012, 01:32 AM
First thing was definitely dumping the brush and starting to comp gently..
I think next one was CWC :) And castor and olive oil! Good luck!

schweedie
May 18th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Baby steps. The best advice I came across when I first joined LHC was to take things slowly. Make one change at a time, so you can pinpoint what works and what doesn't. Don't try to revamp your whole routine in a week, because it will probably make your hair very angry.
Amen to that. Start with the small stuff.

I made three relatively significant changes when I found this place - first, I stopped using my blowdrier, when before I would always blowdry all of my hair after every wash.
I also stopped brushing my hair straight out of the shower when it was pretty much completely wet, just briefly toweldried. I still do break the rules, so to speak, and detangle while my hair is still slightly damp (because my hair tends to tangle more if I don't), but I'm much more careful.
And finally I stopped shampooing my length and started doing CWC - put contioner on my length, shampoo my scalp, rinse, and then condition again. I think just ceasing to shampoo and scrub the length of my hair made a big difference.

SilverDoe
May 18th, 2012, 02:41 AM
CO washing, one of the best changes for my hair. No silicones or paraffin/mineral oil.
Completely stopped blowdrying.
Switched to wide seamless combs & gentle wooden brushes without ball ends.
And I just quit chemical dyes a few months ago, I never knew how much damage dye & the damn developer did.
Better diet. Much more protein, vegetables, good fats, supplements especially for hair, iron, silica, biotin. Majorly increased hairgrowth!
Henna. <3 I'll be a hennahead forever.

The new change I'm about to make is wearing my hair up more often, this thanks to flexi 8's. :crush:

battle_angel
May 18th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Hi Monkey Magic and welcome to the forum!!
I think you already got some great answers from the LHC members but as a fellow newbie I'm going to tell you that I've started with Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice and I found it to be perfect! I simplifies things a lot.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)
- Laetitia

Tota
May 18th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Tangle Teezer!

MintChocChip
May 18th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I'm new here too. But in the time that I've been hovering around as a guest (about a month) the first change I've made has been the use of oils on my ends. I use Sweet Almond Oil, and I love it!

My next change will be trying to use -cone free products.

afu
May 18th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I lurked around here for a few months before joining and started by giving up heat (blowfryer and straighteners) in Dec 2011. I also started to stretch washes to no more than every 4 days. I used an intensive deep treatment based on colourless henna (also contained protein) on every wash day for at least a couple of hours. I continued this for about 3 months and it didn't seem to help my hair at all :(

I then started replacing my coney serums with virgin coconut oil and started to see a bit of an improvement. Next I adopted CO washing and this was my major turning point. Right from the first wash it felt like i had different hair, so soft, shiney and manageable :D I will definitly never go back to shampoo. If i feel the need to clarify i just add a little baking soda to my CO.

My current routine consists of CO washing about every 2 days (could stretch but i really like washing my hair!), following with a blob of normal conditioner as a leave in and then a mixture of aloe vera and coconut oil. I airdry.

I also now wear my hair up more, my curls are often quite unpredictable so if they behave - yay i can wear my hair down. If they dont - yay i can try a new updo/bun

auburntressed
May 18th, 2012, 05:39 AM
Most of what I do to my hair, I'd been doing long before LHC. The things that I have changed since, in order of changing:

Stopped using my wooden paddle brush in favor of wide-tooth combing followed by BBB.

Switched from wearing a hanging braid most of the time, with occasional buns, to wearing my hair pinned up most of the time with only occasionally a hanging braid.

Vowed to never darken the door of a salon again - because the constant over-trimming must be responsible for my inability to push past tailbone yet. At least I hope it's that rather than me having a short terminal length.

And finally - hasn't directly helped my hair, but it has done AMAZING wonders for my poor scalp: ACV rinses.

SnowWhite
May 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM
I'm also quite new after lurking around here for a while...

1. The first thing I did is buying SLS free shampoos and avoiding products with cones.
2. Then I started using a wide tooth comb instead of a brush.
3. I let my hair airdy more often
4. At first I never ever used conditioner, but now I use it as pre poo treatment
5. Wearing my hair up
6. Oiling! Made the big difference. I use Coconut oil or EVOO
7. Stretching washes, to every 3 days now.
8. Scalp massages :)

rock007junkie
May 18th, 2012, 06:23 AM
The first thing I started doing was oiling. First I started with coconut oil and after with other oils

hellucy
May 18th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I definately agree the temptation is to try lots of things at once but 1 thing at a time makes it much easier to figure out what works for you & what doesn't.

1 - I switched the hair dryer for air drying
2 - I tried SLS & cone free (my hair didn't like it so SLS & cones are back)
3 - I started using oils
4 - I ditched chemical dye & started using Henna
5 - I started stretching washes

tori93
May 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM
SLS free shampoo and no cones at all
oiling hair and no heat tools
I already used a comb rather than a brush when wet

Kizuna
May 18th, 2012, 06:39 AM
My first change was to switch to conditioner only, CO. My hair had been a mess the last couple of months berfore I started and CO was my first change, and I'm so glad I started it!

MonkeyMagic
May 18th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Wow! Thank you everyone for your welcomes and advice! I appreciate it tremendously. I think the first thing Ill try is giving up sls/cones and see how my hair likes that since I don't really use heat much anyway. Maybe experiment with oils after...off to do research on oils! :D

jacqueline101
May 18th, 2012, 06:41 AM
It would be finding my oil mixture, wear up dos in the past I wore it down, and use a wide tooth comb only.

Laur
May 18th, 2012, 06:48 AM
My first change was switching to CO washing, followed by experimenting with olive oil for my hair (because that's what I had in my kitchen). While I've done other things now, like switched to jojoba and coconut oil, those two changes stuck with me. I highly recommend Ursula's newbie advice article that was linked earlier for keeping track of changes and knowing where to start!

torrilin
May 18th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Around 1997, I started college. I figured out fairly quickly that I could braid or bun my hair wet and save a ton of time getting ready for class. So basically by accident, I stopped using my hair dryer. I don't know if I lost it that year or the year after, but somewhere in there I just couldn't find the silly thing and I gave it up. Since my hairstylists had been telling me for years that blow drying was evil for my fine hair, I didn't really worry about it.

Due to being a broke college student I gradually shifted from trimming every 6-8 weeks to every 3-6 months.

Also due to being a broke college student, I started experimenting with drugstore products, including finding that using scads of conditioner and as little shampoo as possible left my hair behaving better.

Around 2001-2005, my hairstylists gradually started grumping at me for trimming too often. I scaled back to a more like every 6-9 months schedule. Again, very gradually.

Sometime in 2011, I got grumpy with not being able to fit my hair under my bike helmet except in a braid. I also realized that pretty much the number one reason why I'd trim is my hair would get caught between my back and whatever I was sitting on when it was braided. Or possibly my bun would hurt my neck in certain chairs. So clearly, I needed to learn more hairstyles so I could continue comfortably ignoring my hair.

Through most of this time period, I was maintaining my hair somewhere in the shoulder to BSL range, due to those hair styling issues.

Nowadays I have a few different bun styles that fit under a bike helmet, and my hair is hovering around my elbows. That had always been my dream as a little girl, and I like it a lot. But I find that some styles I'm interested in trying would take more length, so mostly I'm hanging around to figure out if there's a point where I should reasonably stop growing :). From experimenting with a paranda, I'd guess a braid down to my butt is about the right goal, but we'll see if it sticks.

fayeelizibeth
May 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM
My first change was months before I found LHC. I was working on finding something inexpensive that worked on my hair, and giving up SLS. I had read about “No Poo” and gave it a shot with baking soda and vinegar. Baking soda and vinegar didn’t work all that well for me…it wasn’t bad, but I knew there had to be something better.

After that I searched and found some ideas about using egg to wash hair. Eggs, as it turns out, work really well on my hair. I have been using some variation of egg wash since then.

So that was the first thing, I gave up shampoo (I still use conditioner occasionally).

I never really did use heat on my hair much, my straighter is more likely to be used to get a shirt collar to lay flat than my hair :p! So giving up heat wasn’t ever a big thing for me.

That being said, I’m still very much a newbie, so everything I’m doing now will, in a few years, all be “the first things” I tried :D

Yosha
May 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM
My first changes were going sulfate free and oiling. I still do both, and like to experiment. I've done experiments with Indian herb washes, rhassoul clay and baking soda. I'm still using sulfate free shampoos, prewash oiling, henna (and indigo) and added proteine treatments. Oh and I do scalp oilings too (prewash).

Iolanthe13
May 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I went sulfate-free long before LHC, in a futile bid to prevent my red hair dye from fading. I found the forum for related reasons - henna doesn't fade, and it seemed like it would give me a similar colour. When I got here, I started using henna/cassia (a really good decision, IMO), wearing my hair up and CWC-ing. That didn't work, and oils were difficult to get right. I'm still new to all this, but so far a routine with no sulfates or cones, minimal oiling, and catnip conditioner is working very well.

HairCareJunkie
May 18th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I stopped bleaching (after six years)

I stopped ripping a brush through my wet hair... fingercombing or using my tangle teazer or a wooden wide tooth comb.

I shampoo my roots & scalp and use conditioner on my hair (cone free!)

Every week I use a deep hair treatment

I stopped rubbing my towel acros my hair like a mad woman

DayDreamerDani
May 18th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hi there! I'm new too :) here are the things I changed:

1. Stopped bleaching/dyeing my hair
2. Gave up the blowfryer/stretch washes
3. Started using wide tooth combs
4. Stopped getting trims. For me, it's seems to be the only way to obtain significant growth
5. Stopped using elastic ponytail holders. I only use scrunchies now. Oh and I gave up bobby pins as well
6. Condition wash conditon- this was huge
7. Moisture+honey
8. invested in some great conditioners and leave ins- this was also HUGE
9. Biotin supplements, prenatal vitamins
10. Coconut oil

I now love my hair care regimen! :)
Good luck on your journey!! Xxx

lapushka
May 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I think the first big change was product knowledge and how that impacted what I got for my hair, to wash & condition it with. I just get the cheapest products I can find now, realizing that it's basically (practically) all the same anyway. You also have to know what sl(e)s is, what silicones are and what clarifying is. Basic hair care is major as far as your hair is concerned.

carolyncasl
May 18th, 2012, 11:36 AM
When I started using henna, I ended up on this site and started lurking around.

So besides henna, my first change was to do CWC.

I also started doing Feye's self-trimming method, and S&Ding. No more expensive salon visits for me.

After that, I tried olive oil, but then I got some coconut oil for Christmas so now I use that. I like the coconut oil better.

I started braiding and bunning my hair more. I hate how my face looks when my hair is up or back, but it does help to protect the ends. I remember when I first joined, I watched someone's tutorial on how to make a certain bun. It looked so simple and quick, but when I tried it, I found out my hair wasn't long enough to complete it. A few months ago, I was able to do it successfully and I was so happy that I could finally do it. But then I realized I can't remember whose video it was, or what the name of the bun is, or anything.

At some point, I hijacked our 1 satin pillowcase and have been using that at night.

Another LHC change that I have made that isn't hair related was the oil-cleansing method.

Amber_Maiden
May 18th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I started using henna way before LHC and way before I started taking proper care of my hair.

I think I first bought wide toothed combs and threw out my old bristle brush. That was the first step for me.

I then started CO washing. It didn't work out, but I did try it.

Henrietta
May 18th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I stopped wiping my hair with a towel after washing. Too much friction. Then came wide tooth comb and oils. And regular trims. And, oh, CWC. And I quit cones, but it was nonsensical, they worked well for me so now I'm back.
I think in retrospect that those technical things- towel wiping, comb- made the biggest difference.

dwell_in_safety
May 18th, 2012, 11:46 AM
I switched from using shampoo and conditioner every other day, with far more shampoo than conditioner, to 'cone-free conditioner twice a week or so before I ever knew LHC existed. Searching for more information on not using shampoo is what led me here, actually. After about 8 weeks of adjustment, I never looked back. Now I just CO wash once a week.

longNred
May 18th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I stopped all heat styling. my life was suddenly much easier and my hair, much healthier. that of course, led to stretching washes, CWC, henna, light oiling, gentle combing, and now trying to keep it in protective styles when possible.

nobeltonya
May 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Several major ones.. started oiling regularly, stopped ripping through knots and learned how to detangle properly, started using conditioners, and stopped leaving my shampoo on for more than a minute or 2. :cheese:

HintOfMint
May 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
My first changes happened all at once. I cut out heat styling, brushing with plastic bristled brushes (although detangling with a boar bristle brush was a bit of a mistake too:o), products with the drying kind of alcohol, and rough drying with a towel. I also added to my routine some sort of leave-in after every wash.

Dovetail
May 18th, 2012, 01:29 PM
My first change is going to be switching to CwC tonight, I want to try it for a month, and see how I like it. my hair gets kind of greesey, so we'll see how it turns out. :) I'm rather excited about it!

UpNorth
May 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
got SLS and cone free

shutterpillar
May 18th, 2012, 01:52 PM
If I recall, the first thing I did was go out and cut 3 inches of damage off of it, and vow off of dye and heat styling. Then I tried to go CO. That didnt work out as well as I anticipated, so now I am doing CO every other day.

My next move was to buy unrefined virgin coconut oil and oil and braid my hair every night. :) So far just those few changes have made a world of difference.

arcane
May 18th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Prior to LHC I had been streching my washes for years and doing CWC.

For me I first made a few simple changes:

1. Put away my flatiron for awhile (I now do use it occasionally, maybe once a month or so).
2. Streched my chemical dyeing and/or bleaching of my hair (I was obcessive and did it every 2 weeks or so)
3. Wore my hair up (Spin Pins are my best friend)
4. Discovered my hair needs to be clarified about once a week. And it loves it. (Best change so far)

I've toyed with oiling/scalp massages/sls free/cone free, but none of those really made a difference in my hair. I do an occasional oil when my ends need it. I also don't stick to CWC only anymore, I go with what I feel it needs on the day I decide to wash it.

battles
May 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
1. Stopped trimming so frequently. I only trim twice a year now.
2. Started oiling and deep treatments.
3. Stopped towel drying so roughly.
4. Stopped using my old brush with the balls on the end.
5. Stopped using clarifying shampoo daily. :doh:

My hair is in much better shape but I haven't quite found "the routine" yet. I've changed a lot, but there's too much to list.

Kelikea
May 18th, 2012, 05:57 PM
My first change was to stop shampooing so much and I tried CO with V05 vanilla mint tea. That helped my scalp, at first. Then I tried some other things, like oil-shamoo, green tea no-poo, oils. I like to shampoo 2x a week now, with organic shampoo(sls-free) instead of every other day. My conditioner of choice is usually V05 strawberry or one that matches the shampoo. I also very rarely wear my hair down anymore and use much less hairspray and other products.

KwaveT
May 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I am not even sure what I started first. I think the first two things I did was quit using the blow dryer and also stop towel drying my hair so roughly. It is a wonder how my hair survived how I used to treat it. After that was when I checked into getting a wide tooth comb and change my shampoo and started using conditioner. I never used conditioner before. I started supplements after that. Finally I got my tangle teezer and boar bristle brush.

tiarefleur
May 18th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I'm still pretty new here too...but my first change was ditching the highlights and constant hair color experimenting. That has been the most damaging to my hair, and my hair is thanking me for it! :D

Ephemeral
May 18th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Stop using box dye and start oiling my hair. It is soooo much healthier.

Kiwiwi
May 18th, 2012, 07:47 PM
First I got rid of harsh sulfate shampoos. I got way milder ones.

Then I added conditioner because I never used that because I didn't like it. Turns out I didn't like silicone conditioners. So I don't use silicones.

Stopped using heat. I didn't use it much at all! But vowed to myself I would never do it again. Wasn't a problem for me.

Found a way to take care of and love my curls (The Curly Girl Method). A lifetime of hating my hair and not enjoying it is now over. But, it's up all the time so I don't really rock my curls. But I plan to do that when I reach waist length (when curled, so wet/stretched it will be longer than waist).

Started wearing my hair up pretty much all the time (it was up a lot before that anyways) to protect my hair so it can grow long and strong.

I got a tangle teezer and started brushing even more carefully (I always was a careful brusher).

I got a satin pilow case.

I started using argan oil. A few drops in damp hair after every wash.

I stretched washing from every day to every 2 days. Can't go further yet. That's ok.

I clarify when needed which is about once a month. After clarifying I will use a protein conditioner and a moisturizing conditioner after that. So clarify and protein about once a month.

I don't do much, really. Basicly my routine is wash every two days with mild shampoo and conditioner. Brush with tangle teezer. Put argan oil in damp hair. Put hair up. Sleep on satin pillow case. Clarify and protein when needed.
My hair is very happy :-)

I don't do deep treatments, or, veeeery rarely.

spidermom
May 18th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I started putting conditioner on my length before shampooing my scalp area.

marykatz
May 18th, 2012, 08:27 PM
1) Stopped using a blow dryer / hot iron

2) Started CO washing

3) Experimented with oiling hair

4) Got a satin pillow case

5) Got a tangle teaser

and somewhere in there I threw away all of my brushes and elastic bands with metal and bought satin
scrunchies. Oh and I stopped dying my hair....that was a tough one. I am trying to be ok with the gray.

ClassicalBlonde
May 19th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I stopped ripping through my hair with a plastic brush and started oiling. I also switched to a gentle shampoo and ditched the conditioners. That did wonders for my hair.

C.H.
May 19th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I threw away my standard issue hairbrush, stopped the harsh, aggressive detangling and and learned to detangle more gently with fingercombing/seamless comb/tangle teezer. I also switched to CO washing shortly after joining THLC and never looked back, really. I also started wearing a sleep cap.

Silverbrumby
May 19th, 2012, 12:43 AM
* stopped flat ironing

* stopped using cones to make it feel better

* stopped brushing it while wet to untangle.

* started taking biotin

* started scalp massages

* got a satin pillow slip and braided for bed

* got a tangle teaser

* Discovered my hair loves leave in conditioner

* Did learn to use only 3 drops of oil to oil my hair each day on the length. Love it.

* Using Sulfate free shampoos

* using conditioner to clarify instead of harsh clarifying shampoos

* using sticks for updos

Diamond.Eyes
May 19th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Here is a timeline of my healthy hair changes:
My first change was the big cut from BSL to SL to get ride of damage.
Then I stopped using heat in my hair.
I stared using shampoo that was SLS-free.
I started incorporating coconut oil into my routine.
I started bunning my hair every day.
I stopped using products that had even the slightest amount of cones in them.
I started using an SMT every time I S&C'd my hair.
I started using the CO method a couple times a week to wash my hair.
I started to wash my hair once a week with a gentle but cleansing shampoo followed by a nightly SMT.

NataschaB.
May 20th, 2012, 11:28 AM
1) Stopped using my flatiron
2) Stretched washes
3) Started experimenting with oils
4) CWC

alex68
May 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I stretched washing from every day to every 3-4 days
Using Shampoo SLS- and Cone free
Using a Tangle Teezer

Rivanariko
May 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Started wearing my hair up or back all of them time, learning how to use hairsticks
Started stretching washes to once a week
CWC
Stopped harsh brushing and started fingercombing.

Things that I tried that failed:
'cone free shampoo/conditioner. Bad idea for my fine hair.
CO
WO
SMT (not a disaster like the others, but I didn't notice a real difference between my hair after the SMT and after normal conditioning, so I don't bother with it)

My routine really isn't complicated, but I'm more of a benign neglect kind of person.

Humbug454
May 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM
LOSING THE HEAT!!! Definitely the first and most important of all that I changed!

Then oiling, using a wide-toothed comb to detangle, trying out Biotin and MSM, stretching washes to 1-2 a week, wearing my hair up/braided a lot more (I still wear it down more often than not though!).

Basically totally completely changed my outlook on growing my hair!

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2012, 03:26 PM
*stretched washes to 2-3 times a week
*discovered Nightblooming Panacea, my holy grail product
*started using a seamless comb
*started putting coconut oil on my hair before highlight touch ups
*significantly reduced heat styling, still working on that one but have almost quit for good
*found heat free method for styling my hair, Caruso steam rollers:crush:
*still trying to get over my tendency to chop when I reach shoulder length. I really DO want long hair!

long&blonde
May 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM
My first change, like many, was stop blowdrying. I also had an on & off thing for a crimping iron, that went with the blowdryer. I stretched washs, now 2 a week at most. And I switched from box dying my hair all shades of blonde, to shades of brunnette, to strawberry blonde;often dyed it over twice a month, often dyed it 2 or 3 times in the same Week, with permanent box dye: to letting the salon dye for me, once every 3 months. This means they concentrate on my roots, much gentler on my ends. That's made the hugest difference I think. That and the giving up heat. I oil, but I always played in oils: I dyed my hair so regularly: I regularly made up deep conditioners to leave on for hours even before LHC. Just because me and hair dye were a handful.

Maelyssa
May 20th, 2012, 08:14 PM
My first step was giving up heat styling.
Then I went sulfate free. After that it's been a mash up of trying cones vs. cone free as well as trying natural and organic products.

Cafe au Lait
May 20th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Very first change was CO-washing with cone-free conditioner.
Next using flatiron less, then using hairdrier less and on cold.
Then using coconut oil.

My goals next are completely cutting out flatironing and blowdrying, and wearing my hair up consistently.

Jing
May 21st, 2012, 12:50 AM
I don't remember, actually... Oh! Rinses! I discovered tea and ACV rinses before I came here. In fact, that discovery is what led me here. I think I started using coconut oil as a leave-in before I started doing deep treatments, but I'm not sure. I only recently (as in, ehm, yesterday) started using SLS-free shampoo.

Dars
May 21st, 2012, 01:41 AM
My first change was forfeiting regular hairdresser cuts and trims, in fact I haven't gone back since I joined LHC. Then came CO washing and going 'cone free. Shortly after that I quit using towels on my hair altogether and quit heat for good a few months after that.

Neneka
May 21st, 2012, 02:19 AM
I quit using sulphates (I have been avoiding cones all my life so didn't use them). I had been WO before (but wasn't anymore) and it was easy for me to stop using shampoo.

The second change was starting to treat my hair more carefully. Before I rubbed it very hard with towel and ribbed through it with a brush. I bought a wooden comb from Body Shop and stopped using my old brush. I have never really used heat so I didn't have to change anything there.

After that I started experimenting with oils. I tried jojoba oil, apricot kernel oil, EVOO (had an EVOO disaster too like many of us have had :D), baby oil and finally coconut oil.

I also stopped using harsh chemical dyes somewhere in there when I joined here. I used henna and henndigo for a while and finally ended up chopping off all the chemical damage I had. Then something like 4 or 5 months later I chopped again because I still had some henna left and I didn't like it.

And then came the hair toy madness...

Ticky
May 21st, 2012, 04:39 AM
My change (when I first found out about LHC, way before I joined) was probably just waiting a few minutes before rinsing out my conditioner. I know that it is written on those bottles to wait before you rinse, but I never payed attention to it :o yaay my hair is brush-able now