PDA

View Full Version : Dentistry is Bad for your Hair!!!

holothuroidea
May 17th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Just thought you all would like a heads up, this is what happened to me at the dentist today...

She's in there drilling and whatever and my head is up against her lab coat. Then she rolls away on her chair to get another drill or something and RIP out comes a huge chunk of my hair!!! (Well, a huge chunk by LHC standards anyway :D) Apparently my hair got wrapped up in one of her buttons!!!

I'm tempted to wear a hat next time. (I love my dentist, and she would think this was wildly funny so I probably should).

So just a heads up, watch out for dentists with buttons.

Also I'm grieving for my lost strands. It looked like a significant bunch. Like you could roll it up into a ball that would be a half inch in diameter. My scalp is sore. :(

Dragon Faery
May 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
:( !!! :(
Your poor hair!

hazelscythe
May 17th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I'll take anything as an excuse to not go to the dentist ;-)
I hope you feel better!

Falcore
May 17th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ouch!

As if going to a dentist isn't painful enough

jeanniet
May 17th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Ow! I never thought about the buttons, but I wrap my hair up in a Buff when I go to the dentist, mostly so it stays smooth and is comfortable in the head rest. A Buff is very handy for a quick hair cover.

holothuroidea
May 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Thank you everyone!

The buff is a good idea. That's about the 5th or 6th rec for one I've gotten here. I should probably get one at some point.

And YES the dentist is unpleasant enough already! This was a 3 hour appointment just for fillings (yes, that many fillings!). My teeth are like swiss cheese.

PixxieStix
May 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM
As a dental hygienist, I'm very glad my uniform has nothing for anyone's hair to snag on! Granted, if someone did come in with long hair completely loose, I'd probably politely ask for him/her to put their hair up somehow, because as an LHC conscious person, I could easily see accidentally rolling over the strands if they ended up on the floor. EEEK! For me AND the patient! I certainly don't need more people to be afraid of coming in for care.

GeoJ
May 17th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ouch! I hope your scalp feels better soon.

I haven't had hairs ripped out by buttons, but my hair has gotten pretty harshly rubbed against at the dentist, so I tend to wear bandannas, scarves, or buffs when I go to the dentist now (with special updos underneath to allow my head to rest comfortably while I'm getting my teeth cleaned).

Honeyfall
May 17th, 2012, 09:28 PM
That's awful, I am so sorry! I hope at least your scalp feels better soon.

And now, I am going to go have nightmares about visiting the dentist...

jeanniet
May 18th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Holo, I use a merino wool Buff because they're longer and I need that for all my hair, but since your hair is shorter I'm sure you could use a regular one. I do the beanie style (basically, you twist it in the middle and then fold one end over the other)--twist my hair up into a loose bun, and pull the beanie over it all. It holds my hair really well without anything else to keep it up. I do the same thing if I want to put my hair up and out of the way really fast to do something like housework or weeding. Buffs are great!