PDA

View Full Version : hidden damage

JessTheMess
July 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I used my first shampoo bar yesterday, as well as using a clarifying conditioner and I finally got rid of all of the build up in my hair. Lo and behold what did I discover... A TON OF SPLITS!!! I can not believe the amount of splits in my hair right now. I didn't even bother oiling my hair. I am going on a serious S&D mission tonight. I am guessing that with all of the cones I have been using, it bonded the split ends together, along with blocking out any type of moisture. At first I was heartbroken to see what was really there, but that was soon followed with relief, because I can nip it in the bud and have fresh healthy ends. No more cones for me!

Monsterkitti
July 29th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Suppose at least now you know about them you can get rid of them.

Ive got a whole load of nice new cone free products but bit scared now to see what a mess Ive got lurking.. *goes off to get the scissors ready* :)

JessTheMess
July 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Suppose at least now you know about them you can get rid of them.

Ive got a whole load of nice new cone free products but bit scared now to see what a mess Ive got lurking.. *goes off to get the scissors ready* :)

I have splits that are literally all the way up to new growth :( There are a lot too :( It's gonna be a good couple of hours, but it's in desperate need of it. Good luck with your mission as well

NurseMama
July 29th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I have splits that are literally all the way up to new growth :( There are a lot too :( It's gonna be a good couple of hours, but it's in desperate need of it. Good luck with your mission as well

Aren't you glad that you found them though? Good luck!

JessTheMess
July 29th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Aren't you glad that you found them though? Good luck!

Very glad!! thank you

bunnii
July 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I find this after the winter when I stop using coney products and switch to Coing, takes me a good few hours to get them all :rolleyes:

thankyousir74
July 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Oh man I'm so glad I got off cones while my hair was uber short! LHC came at the right time in my life :)

Riot Crrl
July 29th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I had a similar experience.

I can bring you some tidings of more good news in addition to being able to trim the splits off. Now, your hair will probably actually drink stuff you put on it. Mine all used to just sit on top of the cones then wash off. Now it soaks in.

jastark84
July 29th, 2008, 03:09 PM
It's an amazing feeling to be able to cut off the splits using S & d. I hve a pair of hair cutting scissors in y car that I keep for when I want to sit in my car at lunch and snip away. I can say that ever since I did the big switch my hair has loved the no cone thing. Welcome!

StrawbryBlondie
July 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
What are cones?:confused:

Riot Crrl
July 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
What are cones?:confused:

Silicones. I'm sure there are more informative links and things I could give you, but here's a very brief overview of these ingredients.

Pros: They can add shine and seal the surface of hair. They can ease detangling because they make the hair slippery. Many people like them for this reason and feel that without silicones they would get more breakage during detangling.

Cons: For some hair, they can seal it up too well so moisture has a hard time getting in too. They can also make curlier hair straighter (though I suppose some might list this in the pro column). And for me, the biggest reason I don't use them is that a lot of them require the detergents of shampoo to remove, and I no longer wish to use it.

JessTheMess
July 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
It took me 2 hours to s&d my hair and there are still a handful of splits hiding in there. :rolleyes: My eyes are crossing so I had to stop. I trimmed half of an inch off my hemline too, because it was looking really rugged. Oh well thats a half inch less of fried hair. Maybe with my hair open to suck in moisture, and clean healthier ends I will hit a growth spurt. Just got done Snowymoon's massage technique and ran a water/condish mixture all over my ends. Right now and for the rest of the night it is going to be up in a bun.