PDA

View Full Version : How do I use coconot oil? (and other oils..)

ChristinaDK
May 17th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Hello!
I'm new here.
A few months ago I dropped shampoo (sulphate) and silicone. Now I wash with conditioner only.
However, I would like to use oils (especially coconut), but I do not know how I do and how I get it out of my hair again? (normally I would use shampoo).
I also just bought an argan oil, this can be used in your hair every day?

:)

afu
May 17th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I use coconut oil everyday and it always washes out with my conditioner only wash, even heavy oilings. I'm not sure about how easy other oils are to wash out, ive heard olive oil is much harder to get out than coconut. If you are having difficulty washing it out try applying your conditioner about 15mins before your shower to dry hair, then proceed with a normal CO wash

dwell_in_safety
May 17th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I usually do a deep conditioning with coconut oil every other week. I always get it out with a CO wash using light 'cone-free conditioner, such as Suave Naturals. I slather it all over my hair and put it up and wait 30-45 minutes before hopping in the shower, wetting my hair completely, "lathering" it, waiting a couple more minutes while shaving etc. and then rinsing it out. Works like a charm. :) In general, conditioner works better than shampoo at getting oil out.

I use a small bit of jojoba oil as a leave-in after each wash. Jojoba oil is the oil with properties closest to that of sebum, and it coats the shaft of the hair. I always put it on my hair when it is damp. I like to think that seals some moisture in, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is a very penetrative oil, and moisturizes hair from within. That's why I use it as a deep moisturizing treatment.

Vanille_
May 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Could someone link Heidi's video? I can't find it. I do what she does.

PixxieStix
May 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I tend to do deep oil treatments with either EVOO or coconut milk (alone or mixed with a mashed avocado), and use coconut oil on my damp ends after washing my hair to give them slip and seal in some moisture. I have a friend who uses argan oil every day on her hair, just on the ends though and only a drop or two. She adores it.

Conditioner put on your hair after a coconut oil deep treatment and left on for 15 minutes before showering with a regular CO wash should get the oil out no problem.

earthnut
May 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2094528&postcount=117

catamonica
May 17th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I just add two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. And Aloe Vera gel to my conditioner. The Aloe makes it baby soft. The oil is good to. I use it on my
ends mixed with conditioner.

SurferB
May 17th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I put it on at night and wash it out with warm/cold filtered water (no chlorine). It works for me.

OilPaint
May 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I just add two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner.What kind of shampoo/conditioner do you use? And as silly as this sounds, does the olive oil have any noticable smell left over when you're done? I was thinking of experimenting with olive oil in my shampoo routine but still looking at how best to start oiling in general.

Natalia
May 17th, 2012, 09:07 PM
for heavy or stubborn oilings try applying your co to dry hair and let it sit while you shower and rinse out at the end or however you choose as long as it sits for at least 15min

kallarina
May 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I always have coconut oil in my hair. At least for the past month or so. Since it's a solid at what is room temp in my house, I scoop some out, rub it in my hands to melt it, and gently pat it into my hair, starting with the ends.
I would recommend not using it on your scalp if you have acne-prone skin, however. I found that it caused me to have breakouts across my forehead even if I only left it in my hair for a short time.
When I wash it out, I just do a normal CO wash. I find that coconut oil is so light in my hair that I never have a problem getting it out.
When I do olive oil, I generally mix it with some coconut oil (and I usually throw some castor oil in there as well). I don't have much trouble washing it out when I mix it, and I still feel like it gives a really good deep conditioning. And I've never had any problem with a smell with olive oil, either. The smell always seems to be light enough to wash out, and doesn't linger.

catamonica
May 17th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I use mane & tail horse shampoo & aloe Vera shampoo from Wall Mart. There is no smell from
the olive oil, since I only add two capfuls. And I shake the bottle before I put it in my hair. So
the oil does not sit at the bottom. By mixing it in the shampoo & conditioner, there is no smell.
It will make your hair soft.

ChristinaDK
May 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Thank you!
I will start tomorrow.
I am so glad conditioner wash, so it would be a shame to have to stop again! :-)

tigereye
May 18th, 2012, 03:22 AM
As someone asked for it:
http://youtu.be/hjVwPKMQDYk
Link to Heidi's YouTube video :)

OilPaint
May 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the tips! And for that video! :) I'm going to try a little bit of oil treatment today and see how I do with it; there will be lots of experimenting with this for a while, I think.

longNred
May 18th, 2012, 09:18 AM
As someone asked for it:
http://youtu.be/hjVwPKMQDYk
Link to Heidi's YouTube video :)

GREAT video! and whoa, Heidi - your hair is super gorgeous!

HairySherry
May 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I use a ton of coconut oil on my length the night before a wash. I will rub it in my palms, run my palms over the length of my hair, finger comb the oil through all of the length then braid my hair and sleep on it. In the morning I put a crap-load of conditioner on my wet hair from my ears down and finger comb it throughout my length. Then I do all my other shower stuff, rinse out the conditioner and shampoo just my scalp. This method seems to be pretty good at getting most of the oil out but sometimes I still have some at the nape of my neck. After I get out of the shower I use a little bit of the Proclaim Natural 7 oil (just one spray in my palms and then I rub them just on the ends so my length doesn't look greasy).

I will have to try conditioning my hair while it's dry and see if that works better for getting the oil out. My hair can turn limp in an instant so I always worry a little about putting tons of conditioner in it. But oh well, I figure if it doesn't look good I'll just try something new next time and hopefully come up with the perfect routine. :)

heidi w.
May 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Could someone link Heidi's video? I can't find it. I do what she does.

I don't know if some got the link for her, but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

I created this video specifically to share how I oil my hair, and it's demonstrated here, as well as Boar Bristle Brushing, and an updo that I commonly wear. Hope it's useful.

When I simply wash my hair, the coconut oil I applied comes out as well. No extra effort, or step in washing the hair to remove the coconut oil that's been applied.

ETA: I used Coconut Oil that is made by Spectrum Naturals, for use on hair and skin. Not the stuff one finds all liquidy in a jar in the oil or salad dressing food aisle. I also refrigerate my Coconut Oil to better control the amount I apply to my hair. (This is "unrefined" coconut oil with almost no scent at all.)

Link:
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205
Found at website, spectrumnaturals.com, then under PRODUCTS (top, pulldown menu), then under BODY CARE (left sidebar)

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 18th, 2012, 12:19 PM
GREAT video! and whoa, Heidi - your hair is super gorgeous!

Thank you, longNred. Let it be known that now I'm getting into the older years, 52 presently, my hair has a lot less volume and might be considered thin by some. Although dressers tell me otherwise. I think they're just being kind...... So proof that thinner haired gals can grow long.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I use a ton of coconut oil on my length the night before a wash. I will rub it in my palms, run my palms over the length of my hair, finger comb the oil through all of the length then braid my hair and sleep on it. In the morning I put a crap-load of conditioner on my wet hair from my ears down and finger comb it throughout my length. Then I do all my other shower stuff, rinse out the conditioner and shampoo just my scalp. This method seems to be pretty good at getting most of the oil out but sometimes I still have some at the nape of my neck. After I get out of the shower I use a little bit of the Proclaim Natural 7 oil (just one spray in my palms and then I rub them just on the ends so my length doesn't look greasy).

I will have to try conditioning my hair while it's dry and see if that works better for getting the oil out. My hair can turn limp in an instant so I always worry a little about putting tons of conditioner in it. But oh well, I figure if it doesn't look good I'll just try something new next time and hopefully come up with the perfect routine. :)

If you watch my video, I use actually very little oil. In fact, as I state repetitively in this video, I actually used a bit much because I had carried my coconut oil with me to another location to shoot this video (where there was someone who could hold the camera.....) so it was melted and that's why I ended up with a bit more C.O. than usual that I used on my hair. If your hair goes limp easily, then just use very little. Most people comment, upon seeing how I oil my hair, that they think they've been using too much oil. However, I also have straight hair, stick straight hair, no body whatsoever. Curly haired gals have to oil their hair differently than I do. I mean really curly haired folks. Those with just a bit of wave can possibly get away with oiling the way I do.....

heidi w.

HairySherry
May 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I will try the same routine with less oil; hopefully that will help. Thanks!!! :)

:disco:(Disco Banana in memory of Donna Summer... RIP Disco Queen!)