PDA

View Full Version : First grays

getoffmyskittle
May 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM
So, this has probably been discussed before, but how old were you when you found your first gray hair?

I found my first a couple months ago, and since then I've found two more. I'm kind of weirded out by this since nobody in my family started to go gray before 35.

vintage88
May 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM
3 years ago when I was 20. I have learnt to love them now and would never dye my hair but at the time a family member made me feel very embarrassed about it. I don't really care what other people think now, I have dark hair and love how they sparkle:D

Charybdis
May 17th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I got my first white hair at 21, but I still have only a light sprinkling 17 years later and most people don't even realize they're there (as in, they ask what I'm talking about when I mention my white hairs). I don't think there's a super-close correlation between how early you get your first gray hair and how old you are when you become noticeably gray. One of those things where there seems to be huge individual variation. :shrug: My DH didn't get his first grays until he was nearly 30, and he has a lot more visible white hair than I do now (and he's a little younger than I).

RobieFlakes
May 17th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I started a threat about this a couple months ago when I found my first long grey hair and since then have come to terms. I am definitely not dying my hair until it gets really noticeable.

My consolation is that when that time comes, I will go blonde. Looks like it will be happening in my thirties so just in time for the early mid life crisis.

Might as well if my hair will be naturally lightening itself anyway, right?

Teazel
May 17th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Congratulations! :cheese:

My first sparkly appeared in my teens; don't remember when exactly, it was a long time ago now.

Firefly
May 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I'm 43 and had my first two appear this year. My sister who is 11 months younger than me, started graying heavily in college. Go figure! :shrug:

pepperminttea
May 17th, 2012, 08:51 AM
In my late teens. Now at 24, I think I literally have two or three silver hairs at the moment, so it's not noticeable at all.

auroraclio
May 17th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Last summer, I was 25. I have 3 or 4 through my crown section

moxamoll
May 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Mine started arriving in my late teens. There's been a slow and steady infiltration, so 20 years later I'm at about 35% sparklies. They've never bothered me and I kind of wish the rest would just change already!

Alva
May 17th, 2012, 09:04 AM
My first ones found when I was around 23, but they haven't increased. Still just 2 or 3 in total, and I am soon turning 32.

longNred
May 17th, 2012, 09:08 AM
first white hairs in my 20s (only a couple) first sparkly SILVER hairs in my 30s. I started to henna when I could start noticing them in the crown area.

Faux
May 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I've had random gray hairs since I was a teenager. Thankfully, there would only be like one on my whole head, but it was still weird. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis at age 21. :(

Shermie Girl
May 18th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I got my first sparklers when I was your age, Skitts. They slowly but steadily reproduced and I am now about 40% or so grey and I see more coming in all the time. :D

Ticky
May 18th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Well I noticed a patch of white hairs when I was 12 or so, if that counts. They never grew longer than the baby-ish length, but they are still here.

BlazingHeart
May 18th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I got my first before I graduated from college...either my sophomore year or my senior year, I don't remember which, but that would have made me 17 or 19. Mine aren't grey, they're true colorless, which will probably register as shimmery white when I have a lot of them. That's how the great-grandmother and grandmother I most closely resemble went. (Though my hair is kind of a little bit like everyone's - it's thicker than either side of the family, the medium/coarse (with a sprinkle of fine) mixture shows up in my Dad's family, but the color is more like my mother's family. I'm not sure who the waviness resembles most closely, because both sides have people with wurly hair but not so much with just waviness.

I'm 28 now, and I have a sprinkling of them, but nobody notices. One of the nice things about chestnut hair is that I have enough color variation to hide them. My hair already went to very bright blonde highlights naturally, especially when I catch a lot of sun, so the few strands (none of which are clumped together) just kind of blend in. I suspect I'll need to approach 20% before it's really obvious. Hopefully I'll fade the way my mother has - at 53 her hair is very lightly threaded with white. Everyone used to assume she dyed because she had no noticeable white hairs, but now she's got a bunch of small clumps, just enough to be visible (though if they were more dispersed, they probably wouldn't be visible).

~Blaze

Kristin
May 18th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I got my first ones in my late teens, so I thought I'd be completely grey/white by now, but I don't have that many. I use henna and indigo, so they glow red anyway. :)

Lize
May 18th, 2012, 02:59 AM
I was 25 when I found my first two. Now I am 29 and I have maybe 10. So it doesn't have to be a fast transition just because you have found a few silvers. Both of my parents have gone somewhat silver now that they have passed 50, but they both still have mostly their original color.

Charybdis
May 18th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I got my first before I graduated from college...either my sophomore year or my senior year, I don't remember which, but that would have made me 17 or 19. Mine aren't grey, they're true colorless, which will probably register as shimmery white when I have a lot of them.
I'm 28 now, and I have a sprinkling of them, but nobody notices. One of the nice things about chestnut hair is that I have enough color variation to hide them. My hair already went to very bright blonde highlights naturally, especially when I catch a lot of sun, so the few strands (none of which are clumped together) just kind of blend in. I suspect I'll need to approach 20% before it's really obvious.

BlazingHeart, I think that's kind of the deal with my "gray" hairs as well. A few are more of an opaque white, but most of them are just colorlessly translucent and are only clearly visible if the light hits them and makes them sparkle. I can see a fair number of them if I look for them up close in the mirror, but they tend to blend in with the natural hair color variation otherwise (even though my hair is likely darker than yours). That's probably why people claim they can't see my white hairs when I mention that part of the reason I stopped dying was to let them come in naturally!

My DH's nonpigmented hairs, on the other hand, are an opaque pearly white, and so all of his are really clearly visible. (I think they're cute.)

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I think it's hard to predict how fast you'll really start to gray from the time you get your first couple of gray hairs. I found a couple at about 21, but didn't really see too many more for the next few years. I'd say by late 20s when I'd had my kids they started to come in faster. I am not sure what % gray I am now because I henna :D. I seem to have a lot coming up on the top and sides, though. The sides (temple area) particularly.

Neneka
May 18th, 2012, 04:09 AM
I don't have any grays but I would be so excited if I found even just one! I would love to go gray early for some reason. I propably wont though. No one in my family has had significant amount of grays before 50....

getoffmyskittle
May 18th, 2012, 06:38 AM
I don't have any grays but I would be so excited if I found even just one! I would love to go gray early for some reason. I propably wont though. No one in my family has had significant amount of grays before 50....

Ha ha, you sound just like me a couple years ago. Be careful what you wish for. :p

Neneka
May 18th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Ha ha, you sound just like me a couple years ago. Be careful what you wish for. :p

Haha, yeah, hopefully I really will be that happy when it actually happens. :D

amanda_the_tall
May 18th, 2012, 07:02 AM
15. i had just come out of the dentist office and was looking in the rearview mirror in my car. *sigh* keep finding more and more. my dad was 80% gray in his 30s. he gets senior discounts offered to him all the time, and he just turned 50. lol

papera
May 18th, 2012, 07:16 AM
I found my first gray hair couple of weeks after my 29th birthday. 1 1/2 years later I have one or two more, but they're "hiding" underneath the other hair. I pluck the one I found first, because it's just at my parting, but the others I let be ...

Has anybody ever heart of the myth that when you pluck one gray hair, more will grow after? My aunt keeps saying that ..:rolleyes:

BrightEyes
May 18th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I am 31 and I have found 2 or 3 gray hairs. My DH has two patches of gray hair, each about an inch in circumference. I think they are sexy:D