PDA

View Full Version : Daily Mail DIY haircut article

carmac21
May 17th, 2012, 03:32 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2145423/Is-DIY-hairdo-shortcut-disaster-As-women-skip-salon-save-money-brave-volunteer-tries-cutting-hair.html

Thoughts on this?:rolleyes:

Bunnysaur
May 17th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I honestly don't see much of a difference. All I could see was that it looks like her hair is in pretty bad shape. :p

joflakes
May 17th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Thoughts...it looks in bad condition! :lol:

I'd never do this myself. It would scare the life out of me.

Bene
May 17th, 2012, 03:45 AM
This is how I cut my own hair. It gives layers and that's basically why I use this method rather than Feye's. It's not that big of a deal. Then again, I have enough length to play around with. :D

My last trim (about 2 weeks ago) took me from tailbone to just above buttcrack.

millyaulait
May 17th, 2012, 03:47 AM
It's okay - I've seen this way to cut hair before.

In fact - I used to cut layers into my hair that way a few years ago!

It doesn't look amazing on her but, hey, it's a recession.

It does look in horrible condition though... !

Bunnysaur
May 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM
What confuses me is the part where she says, "it’s more Suzi Quattro than Chrissie Hynde," when it actually makes her look more like Chrissie Hynde! I used to have that EXACT cut, and people were constantly telling me that I looked like her.

Bene
May 17th, 2012, 03:54 AM
What bugs me is that he says:

The equipment you need is simple: an elastic hair tie, a pair of scissors, and a spare half hour.
‘Kitchen scissors will do as well as hairdressing scissors,’ says Lee Stafford. ‘With practice, you can do this cut in five minutes but when you’re learning, you will want to take your time, so allow half an hour.’

There's no way I'm hacking at my hair with kitchen scissors.

oktobergoud
May 17th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I honestly don't see how it's in bad condition?? Her hair, I mean.. it just looks a bit frizzy to me, that is all? :s I mean, if her hair is in bad condition, I don't even want to know how bad mine is! :P

Edit: okay okay it could use a bit of oil or conditioner, but it doesn't look that bad on the pictures where she's actually cutting it? :P

PrincessIdril
May 17th, 2012, 04:02 AM
urgh the Daily Fail strikes again.
Personally I'm not brave enough to try that and I don't want layers anyway. The only bit I have issues with is telling people they can use kitchen scissors on their hair. I firmly believe that scissors should only be used for the job you brought them for, so hair scissors just for hair, sewing scissors for fabric etc. That way you know the scissors are sharp enough!

marykatz
May 17th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I couldn't really follow when she stuck the scissor into the ponytail and started randomly snipping. I would be nervous to try this.

Bagginslover
May 17th, 2012, 04:24 AM
This is exactly how I cut my hair back in December, minus the hacking at the end part! Once you flip the hair back, there are no hard lines anymore, so that step is pointless IMO.

I cut mine about twice as long as she did, and it was BSL when I flipped it back, I did then straighten the hem line though, as it gives a bit of a v-shape, which I didn't want, which lose me another inch or so. I also cut the front a little more after flipping it back, as I like shorter pieces round my face.

It really does work very well if you like layers all through your hair.

Tota
May 17th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I used to cut my hair like this and it's no big deal. It looks better at longer lengths though. Now I follow the Faye's technique because I don't want layers anymore.

Neneka
May 17th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Well, I think the result actually looks nice. :) The article is not that good but the method is really simple. I woud have done that if I saw that three years ago...

Carolyn
May 17th, 2012, 04:42 AM
:shrug: That cutting method is nothing new. I first read about it in Glamour back in the 70s. I'm sure it wasn't anything new back then. I thought her hair looked better before. I am so sick of the heavy bangs look and I think the color is really brassy looking.

faellen
May 17th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't try this as I don't want layers anymore, but I think the result looks good and not much different to what you'd expect at a hairdressers. Don't know why she thinks her fringe is too short though, I'd class that as long!

clairenewcastle
May 17th, 2012, 09:10 AM
What really puzzles me is why she is gripping a good six inches of hair in her left hand in the "after" photo when the length of her hair in it was exactly the same as in the "before" photo?
Surely that can't be her hair in her hand?

Unicorn
May 17th, 2012, 09:21 AM
What really puzzles me is why she is gripping a good six inches of hair in her left hand in the "after" photo when the length of her hair in it was exactly the same as in the "before" photo?
Surely that can't be her hair in her hand?
Much of that length is the shortened layers rather than the actual length of the hair. In the third clipping picture you can get a better idea of how much was cut off.

Unicorn

spidermom
May 17th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I do that, except I put the ponytail right in the center on the top of my head, and I only cut off about 1 inch from the ends. Then I let my hair down, make a center part from forehead to nape, comb/brush both sides very smooth as I bring them forward, make a single ponytail right under my chin, close a book over my hair and slide it down my hair toward the ends, and cut off about 1/2 inch. It gives me the hem you see in my sig pic. Easy peasy! (but I'd never use kitchen scissors for this!)

Tisiloves
May 17th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I'm pretty sure kitchen scissors are a bad idea, unless they're like my mum's (razor sharp, they make the good knife look blunt). Also I'm pretty sure snipping into your ponytail is pointless, pulling your hair up automatically eliminates hard lines.

pink.sara
May 17th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Kitchen scissors. KITCHEN SCISSORS?

Bad Lee Stafford.

pepperminttea
May 17th, 2012, 11:33 AM
*facepalm*

Do they ever write anything good?

jacqueline101
May 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't do it no way.

lapushka
May 17th, 2012, 12:58 PM
This is an old method of cutting hair. It's mentioned even in the "Haircutting for dummies" book, together with the other ponytailing method (right on the top of your head instead of on top of your forehead). We've used both methods for years around here and they are awesome for cutting shorter or longer layers, depending on the method you use, into your hair.

Macaroni
May 17th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I've seen this cut on YouTube but the results were much better than hers. The layers in the videos were very smoothly blended, no demarcation lines.

She needs a deep condition.

RapunzelKat
May 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Kitchen scissors. KITCHEN SCISSORS?

Bad Lee Stafford.

This!!! :bigeyes:

Other than that, I'm all for cutting your own hair :) I cut mine now, although mine's much simpler ;)

elbow chic
May 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah, her hair's in pretty rough shape-- she says herself it's dry!-- but the cut itself is actually pretty cute, imo.

I've definitely paid more for worse cuts! ;)

Faux
May 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM
My self haircuts have always ended badly. I get my hair cut 2-3 times a year at a nice salon.

PolarCathy
May 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I'm all-in for DIY things incl. haircuts but I think this is not very flattering. (And this is why stylists still have a job.) The cut I simply just... hate (was thinking for a minute, trying to find a milder word..), also I think her hair looks really dry.

No. This cut, this method, no.

lapushka
May 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm all-in for DIY things incl. haircuts but I think this is not very flattering. (And this is why stylists still have a job.) The cut I simply just... hate (was thinking for a minute, trying to find a milder word..), also I think her hair looks really dry.

No. This cut, this method, no.

I think it's only less flattering because she cut it so short. This same method, left longer, much better! So for me, this method, and the other ponytailing method: yes. :)

PolarCathy
May 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I think it's only less flattering because she cut it so short. This same method, left longer, much better! So for me, this method, and the other ponytailing method: yes. :)

Probably. But my problem is not the length :) it's the way it's cut plus the quality of her hair resulting in as we say in my country "hair chewn by a dog". Well of course it's just one opinion. ;)

earthnut
May 17th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I agree her hair's in terrible condition - obviously dry and colored and formerly bleached. I also think the "before" style looks better than the "after" style, but I'm no fan of bangs.

The haircut idea itself isn't bad, though I also agree that the second hacking step is needless. I cut my hair in a ponytail, but since I don't want bangs, my ponytail is in the upper back of my head and I bring the end over my head to the front to cut it.

lapushka
May 17th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Probably. But my problem is not the length :) it's the way it's cut plus the quality of her hair resulting in as we say in my country "hair chewn by a dog". Well of course it's just one opinion. ;)

There are tutorials on Youtube with this method (creaclip clips for instance), with obvious better results. :)

momofmadeleine
May 17th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I got inspired to save money on a cut by the article, but didn't like the cut shown, so I just used Feye's method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) mentioned in the comments here and some youtube videos for layers in the front!

It was so fast and easy and it was free! Thanks for the inspiration.

Beckstar
May 17th, 2012, 06:01 PM
DIY works for me. I can cut my hair better than most salons and I don't even have to tip myself! Of course this is after many years of trial and error.

Ticky
May 17th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have heard of that way of cutting before, seemed to work for some people. Don't think I would be able to make it look decent, and being a bit clumsy, I would most likely accidentally cut my nose off.

manderly
May 17th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I've cut this way before - it's how to cut layers. The further forward you go on your head, the deeper the layers. And most of the length lost is just the layers, not actual length.

I'm viewing this on my phone, so I may not be seeing as well as you all, but her hair does not look that bad to me at all. :confused:

turtlelover
May 17th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I actually think its a cute cut. I like the bangs and layers.

lapushka
May 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I've cut this way before - it's how to cut layers. The further forward you go on your head, the deeper the layers.

*nods* Yep, tried both methods many times and loved the layering effect it gave. The ponytail on the top/middle of the head gives longer layers than the ponytail on top of the forehead method, the layers there are quite short, especially the more you go towards the front, it's kind of a gradation towards the back. The key with both methods is not to cut the hair off too short, or you'll end up with stubby short layers no matter what layering technique you used. The example in the DM is quite short, in fact! You can measure this out, how short the shortest layer will be by taking one strand of hair, and pulling it up (arms stretched), then taking it back down again to measure where that layer will be if you cut the ponytail off at that point. Not sure if I'm explaining this clearly enough.

Miss Catrina
May 18th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I don't see how it's in bad condition, either.

Things like this really bother me. I think encouraging people to do something like this is downright irresponsible.

Bagginslover
May 19th, 2012, 01:22 AM
<--- that is the result of cutting this way, but without the chopping into the end. ;)

Mirsha
May 19th, 2012, 02:11 AM
I kind of think the whole haircut is wrong for her face, it makes her look so much older in my opinion. That was under supervision of Lee Stafford?!

Raiscake
May 19th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I think the haircut's cute, whatever makes her happy. I love cutting my own hair myself. :)

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 06:44 AM
<--- that is the result of cutting this way, but without the chopping into the end. ;)

Gorgeous!!!

CareBear
May 19th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I'm sure he says kitchen shears are fine so that women will throng to the salons to fix the damage the dull scissors created...lol, am I being snarky??

lapushka
May 19th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I'm sure he says kitchen shears are fine so that women will throng to the salons to fix the damage the dull scissors created...lol, am I being snarky??

Yeah, I partly agree with you. That's one way of getting 'em back into the salon, bad cuts. ;) Except, it's a good technique if executed right!

Dreamers91
May 19th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I love my layers, but would never try this! No thank you! lol