PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Henna

BrianaFineHair
March 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I saw the Rainbow Henna at the local Whole Foods store. I came back to the hotel room (I'm out of town right now) to look at their web site. Now, why do they say their henna gradually washes out? This is what I thought henna was until I read differently here. Would this not be true henna (Rainbow)? They say no additives, chemicals, or pestisides. Can one trust that? What are your thoughts? You can google the name to find the site. I do not know if I should include the website here.

"Rainbow Henna has no additives, chemicals, or pesticides. Rainbow Henna coats each hair shaft with color. Blends naturally. Fades gradually. Lasts 4-6 weeks. Smooths and seals the hair's cuticle for greater shine and body. Our custom-tailored recipes can be used for special effects, covering grey, and improving texture."

khyricat
March 15th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I know rainbow isn't pure henna.. if I remember right it has metallic salts in it, making it even worse than it sounds on their website.. true henna ONLY comes in red... other colors can be made from mixes with other herbs- like indigo and Cassia, but those aren't pure henna. their site is full of false information and advertising.

BrianaFineHair
March 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I know rainbow isn't pure henna.. if I remember right it has metallic salts in it, making it even worse than it sounds on their website.. true henna ONLY comes in red... other colors can be made from mixes with other herbs- like indigo and Cassia, but those aren't pure henna. their site is full of false information and advertising.

That is a SHAME! :taz:
I really hate dishonesty.

mellie
March 16th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I use Rainbow Henna. It works very nicely for me. I tried the mehandi.com henna but my husband and I both had an allergic reaction because the powder is so fine. So I have been using Rainbow. I would recommend it. I actually don't think there are metallic salts in it, because I was thinking of bleaching my hair once, so I did a test with a cutting, and it just lightened as usual.

I emailed the company a while back and they said it contains henna and a mix of other herbs, and it is all natural. I am inclined to believe this for a few reasons, one is that I am extremely sensitive to chemicals (can't do hair salons or commercial products) and I can use Rainbow henna with no problems. Also, I use some of their other products (baby lotion and shampoo) and they list all of the ingredients and they are good ingredients.

Re: gradually washes out; no, it doesn't, at least not in my experience.

Hope this helps! :-)

prosperina
March 16th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I use Rainbow Henna. It works very nicely for me. I tried the mehandi.com henna but my husband and I both had an allergic reaction because the powder is so fine. So I have been using Rainbow. I would recommend it. I actually don't think there are metallic salts in it, because I was thinking of bleaching my hair once, so I did a test with a cutting, and it just lightened as usual.

I emailed the company a while back and they said it contains henna and a mix of other herbs, and it is all natural. I am inclined to believe this for a few reasons, one is that I am extremely sensitive to chemicals (can't do hair salons or commercial products) and I can use Rainbow henna with no problems. Also, I use some of their other products (baby lotion and shampoo) and they list all of the ingredients and they are good ingredients.

Yeah, I didn't think it had metallic salts in it either especially since everyone seems to say it will gradually wash out (depending of course on your hair and texture and that sort of thing) and the metallic salts work as fixatives to get the color to stick to the hair. And I did find the ingredients listed somewhere and they were just herbs. This is just speculation of course, but I've been meaning to strand test their blond 'hennas' and neutral colors.

Blueglass
March 16th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have test stranded with rainbow henna both Persian blonde, and Neutral. A hennaed the strand, and later lighted it with hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. The strand lighted without incident. I have repeated this test with Avigal Ash blonde, and Morrocco method marigold , and light brown, and even with all that henna, (I reused the strand) it lighted without incident. Now the strand is a beautiful pale blonde. Rainbow Persia is a mix of chamile and what they claim is neutral henna. It is safe to use, even if you think you may highlight in the future. No reason to demonize this henna, cassia? product.

beledigrrl
March 16th, 2008, 03:53 PM
My experience with Rainbow Henna was rather traumatic because it took me literally hours to completely wash out all of the little bits of twig, leaves, etc. that was left in my hair from the treatment.

On the brightside, I did wind up learning the importance of looking for finely sifted henna :)

prosperina
March 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I have test stranded with rainbow henna both Persian blonde, and Neutral. A hennaed the strand, and later lighted it with hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. The strand lighted without incident. I have repeated this test with Avigal Ash blonde, and Morrocco method marigold , and light brown, and even with all that henna, (I reused the strand) it lighted without incident. Now the strand is a beautiful pale blonde. Rainbow Persia is a mix of chamile and what they claim is neutral henna. It is safe to use, even if you think you may highlight in the future. No reason to demonize this henna, cassia? product.

That's really good to know, Bluegrass. I might start buying some Rainbow blond or neutral henna to tone my BAQ hennaed hair. Welcome, btw!

BrianaFineHair
March 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM

Yes, it's very helpful! ;) From hair care, skin care, food, and in household cleaning products I do my best to use natural products. I feel pretty convicted about it for many reasons.

I don't mean to demonize; I only want truth in advertising. :o