PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Tips for Celiac Disease Hair

Vapunzel91
May 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Hi, everyone!

It's been a while since I've been on, but I really need some hair help. One of my best friends was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and is trying to grow her hair to her shoulders. My new stepmother has also been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and wants healthy, longish hair. Both want to have hair that is long enough to put in a ponytail with an extra five inches hanging from the pony tailer.

Unfortunately, both have hair that is chin length and doesn't seem to grow! My stepmother and friend have finally gotten the B-12 vitamin up, take Biotin, and are trying to get their blood cell count higher from anemia. I think both are doing pretty well, but I'd really like to help them, but I'm no hair expert except for my own hair.

If anyone can give me hair tips for people with Celiac Disease, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's a site for more about Celiac Disease: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001280/

Innes&Swan
May 17th, 2012, 07:37 AM
I was just about to post, and ask about others with Celiac! I have been diagnosed for 5 years. I experienced tremendous hair loss, before finding out that I have Celiac. The first step is to heal the intestines, which may take 1+ yrs. If you are super vigilant with a no gluten diet, it may happen sooner. Hair growth will not be optimal until the intestines are healed, and the body is absorbing vitamins and minerals again.
I recommend a following a 'Nourishing Traditions' type diet, with a focus on bone broths, to speed healing.
Hope this is helpful:)

UpNorth
May 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Well, I´m sitting right beside a girl with celiac now. She has hip length hair that seem to grow like weed, What I know is that she avoid everything with gluten, never cheats. My cousin and aunt are the same, but both keep their hair short nowadays. I actually don´t think celiac disease will affect hair if you just eat right. But for fun, since I stopped eating gluten (I´m not allergic, but probably IBS) I have lots of new growth

EndlessSunshine
May 17th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Look at the ingredients of all of your products in your house. I am talking cleaning,body stuff, hair stuff, toothpaste, etc. Look for anything derived from oats, hydrolyzed proteins, and gluten related thing and get them out of the house. A healthy GF diet isn"t that difficult as long as your careful about ingredient. Concentrate on what you can have and not what you can't have. Fresh fruit, vegetables, legumes,dairy,nuts, and lean unseasoned (make your own season blends) meats and poultry. Invest in a mandoline and a spiralizer. The mandoline will enable you to easily slice fruits and veggies making them more convenient, like making strips of zuchinni squash to replace noodles in a lasagna. The spiralizer can make hard veggies into "noodle" like strings. I replace a lot of grain products with legumes because they contain iron, B vitamins,protein, and fiber that sometimes a GF diet can lack. Crustless quiches, eggs and refried beans, You can even make a chocolate cake out of chickpeas. Using romaine lettuce for wraps and sandwiches is good. Make a PB sandwich by slicing a banana lengthwise and spreading the PB in between. Watch out for caramel coloring in soda, soy sauce, and other brown liquids. Gravy can be made by using potato flakes as the thickener.
Sorry for going on so long. GF is not the end of the world but in order to have great healthy hair a person needs to eat well.

Suze2012
May 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm coeliac.

My hair is waist length at the longest point.

I am sitting thinking..and I possibly noticed a change in length when I was diagnosed 11 plus years ago..but not long after I did quit a hairdresser who loved to chop any growth..and also told me never to condition my hair..'ahem'

Since then I do cheat sometimes with gluten but only get a trim every six months or so..changing as of this weekend as it's now too long for me so some of the length is coming off.