PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Newbe

SurferB
May 16th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Please, educate me about how to help my hair. I'm only 21 and I was vegan for 1.5 years. My hair started thinning, and I started feeling pretty bad... Now I'm vegetarian and feeling 110% better. My hair seems to be growing in thicker now. I naturally have super thick hair and I've always had very long hair, but I never knew how to grow it very healthfully. ALL adivce is welcome!! I cut it maybe 6 months ago up to my sholders, and now I'm growing it back out to my waist.

SeaLamb
May 16th, 2012, 07:57 PM
i'm quite confident that the introduction of dairy back into your diet has nothing to do with you feeling better. in fact 50% of the world is lactose intolerant, so it is essentially poisonous to humans. what i would guess happened is that by cutting out dairy, you also had inadvertently cut out a lot of the variety in your diet and you were becoming malnourished. especially for vegans its important to remain vigilant in eating a wide variety of foods so you can supply your body with all of the necessary vitamins and nutrients you need to keep you and your hair happy and healthy :).

separately, do you oil your hair at all? i used to use organic jojoba oil, but now i mostly just use organic coconut oil (i think my hair likes it better than the jojoba).

however, the best way to learn how to make your hair healthier and longer is to just read through the threads and articles here. they're a lot of help, especially when you're new.

good luck :D

PixxieStix
May 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the LHC. :)

Much of the advice will center around a few things, namely finding a hair are routine that works for you, learning how to detangle gently, wearing protective up-do's, and some people like to do a lot of pampering and some like benign neglect, and usually either way you end up with some pretty rocking LHC hair.

Shermie Girl
May 16th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Good nutrition is definitely big in growing healthy looking hair, protein, especially is beneficial. Other nutrients help, as well. I am not going to comment on vegan as opposed to vegetarian diets, as I am a die hard omnivore with a special affinity for a good steak. :lol: But key to growing your hair is gentler treatment. Low or no heat helps, gentle brushing and combing. Using natural oils is nice, protein treatments, lots of rich. moisture infusing conditioners. A lot of members prefer more natural hair care, whole some of us are chemical and cone heads.

It will take time to research different methods, the boards are packed with thread after thread full of wonderful information. Make friends with the search function and do your reading. :D Experiment with different products and find what works for you and your own hair. Remember, nothing is out of bounds, "bad" or wrong. It is all about what is right for your own hair. Enjoy the journey. Have fun with the trial and error and remember, growing your hair is an odyssey. One that can be very satisfying. :)

Welcome to LHC! :flowers:

Madora
May 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Welcome to LHC, SurferB!

General hints:

Always detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before you brush it. Start at the ends by taking a small section of hair and gently combing, then move the comb up the section and comb out again, until you reach the scalp.

Do not wash the daylights out of your hair. Frequent shampooing can remove the hair's natural oil, leaving the hair like hay.

Eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water, exercise moderately.

Give yourself minute trims every 3 or 4 months. In between, do S and D (Search and Destroy) on any damage you find ..i.e. split ends, white dots. Be SURE and use SHARP shears.

Wear your hair up to protect the delicate ends. You might want to look into a satin pillowcase to protect the ends at night.

Avoid ponytails if at all possible. They are not hair friendly.

If you don't know how to already, learn to braid your hair.

Keep your hair tools squeaky clean.

I believe in brushing with a pure (no nylon) boar bristle brush and you can find my articles on brushing, air drying and detangling (with a wide tooth comb) up in the Articles section (the grey menu bar, above).

Avoid straighteners, hot irons, hot curlers, bleaching, blow frying.

The less stuff you put on your hair, the less chance for buildup on your strands.

Above all, you'll need a LOT of patience. Beautiful hair is a journey of years and nothing you can take or put on your hair will make it grow any faster or thicker than what nature intended.

Find the products that work for you and stick with them. I'm a firm believer in "less is more" but YMMV. Good luck and happy growing!

SurferB
May 16th, 2012, 08:17 PM
i'm quite confident that the introduction of dairy back into your diet has nothing to do with you feeling better. in fact 50% of the world is lactose intolerant, so it is essentially poisonous to humans. what i would guess happened is that by cutting out dairy, you also had inadvertently cut out a lot of the variety in your diet and you were becoming malnourished. especially for vegans its important to remain vigilant in eating a wide variety of foods so you can supply your body with all of the necessary vitamins and nutrients you need to keep you and your hair happy and healthy :).

separately, do you oil your hair at all? i used to use organic jojoba oil, but now i mostly just use organic coconut oil (i think my hair likes it better than the jojoba).

however, the best way to learn how to make your hair healthier and longer is to just read through the threads and articles here. they're a lot of help, especially when you're new.

I didn't add dairy back into my diet at all. I've only added raw goats cheese, raw goats kefir, along with salmon once per week, organic pasture fed eggs, raw goat yogurt. I'm a nutritionist, and I aim for 5 servings of organic veggies per day, at least 3 servings of fruit per day and no grains. I also eat plenty of other things like raw organic nuts. Thank you for your help!!

SurferB
May 16th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Welcome to LHC, SurferB!

General hints:

Always detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb before you brush it. Start at the ends by taking a small section of hair and gently combing, then move the comb up the section and comb out again, until you reach the scalp.

Do not wash the daylights out of your hair. Frequent shampooing can remove the hair's natural oil, leaving the hair like hay.

Give yourself minute trims every 3 or 4 months. In between, do S and D (Search and Destroy) on any damage you find ..i.e. split ends, white dots. Be SURE and use SHARP shears.

Wear your hair up to protect the delicate ends. You might want to look into a satin pillowcase to protect the ends at night.

I believe in brushing with a pure (no nylon) boar bristle brush and you can find my articles on brushing, air drying and detangling (with a wide tooth comb) up in the Articles section (the grey menu bar, above).

The less stuff you put on your hair, the less chance for buildup on your strands.

Above all, you'll need a LOT of patience. Beautiful hair is a journey of years and nothing you can take or put on your hair will make it grow any faster or thicker than what nature intended.

Find the products that work for you and stick with them. I'm a firm believer in "less is more" but YMMV. Good luck and happy growing!

Thank you so much! I'm actually doing every single thing you listed already!! Awesome! It's great to know that my care routine is helping.

SurferB
May 16th, 2012, 08:23 PM

Also, I do use organic unrefined, extra virigin coconut oil once per week as a deep conditioner and sealent. Is this good? I also have jojoba oil, peppermint oil from a high quality source, and ylang ylang oil.

battle_angel
May 17th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Hi SurferB and welcome to the forum! There is lots of information here and I hope it will help you get the thick long hair you're after. And BTW, you look really beautiful in your avatar pic! ^_^

I have one question tough: aren't dairy products generally defined as food produced from the milk of mammals? Don't mean to be rude or anything, just sayin'!

Best of luck with your hair,
-Laetitia

SurferB
May 17th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hi SurferB and welcome to the forum! There is lots of information here and I hope it will help you get the thick long hair you're after. And BTW, you look really beautiful in your avatar pic! ^_^

I have one question tough: aren't dairy products generally defined as food produced from the milk of mammals? Don't mean to be rude or anything, just sayin'!

Best of luck with your hair,
-Laetitia

Thank you! (: Yes, dairy from cows. I meant I don't drink dairy from cows ;P

barely.there
May 17th, 2012, 08:56 AM
I am the same age as you and experimented with being vegan/vegetarian for a year. Id love to go back to being a vegetarian/piscectarian. I found that soy messed me up pretty bad. I love your diet. I wish I had a farm nearby that sold raw milks and cheeses.

Consider everything in your daily routine. Do you take a birth control pill/other medications?

bumblebums
May 17th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Also, I do use organic unrefined, extra virigin coconut oil once per week as a deep conditioner and sealent. Is this good? I also have jojoba oil, peppermint oil from a high quality source, and ylang ylang oil.

Coconut oil works very well for many people--including myself. Not all oils work for everyone, of course; I couldn't get jojoba to work for my hair, but it's great on my skin.

Peppermint and ylang ylang are essential oils, and they won't do much for your length. Some people swear by essential oils on the scalp (diluted in a carrier oil such as jojoba), but you have to be careful; some are very sensitizing.

If you are going to use essential oils on the scalp, research them closely. Rosemary, for example, is supposed to darken hair (I haven't noticed a strong effect though), and it is not recommended for, say, pregnant women. So just because they are natural doesn't mean they are safe.

P.S. Welcome to the LHC :)

bumblebums
May 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Oh, another thought: you are still very young, so it's hard to judge whether the changes you are experiencing in your hair are due to something worrisome (bad diet, nutrient deficiency, etc.) or to something simpler, like the offset of puberty. You may be looking at your "grown-up hair" now, and it might be different from how you remember your hair at age 16.

SurferB
May 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I am the same age as you and experimented with being vegan/vegetarian for a year. Id love to go back to being a vegetarian/piscectarian. I found that soy messed me up pretty bad. I love your diet. I wish I had a farm nearby that sold raw milks and cheeses.

Consider everything in your daily routine. Do you take a birth control pill/other medications?

Yeah, I know what you mean! Soy is a no, no. I don't take Birth Control... haven't for 2+ years. I just do all natur-alll counting days and temp checking.

SurferB
May 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Oh, another thought: you are still very young, so it's hard to judge whether the changes you are experiencing in your hair are due to something worrisome (bad diet, nutrient deficiency, etc.) or to something simpler, like the offset of puberty. You may be looking at your "grown-up hair" now, and it might be different from how you remember your hair at age 16.

Right, well I've only been vegan for 1.5 years and before I was vegan, I was vegetarian eating fish still and goats dairy. My hair looked amazing 1.5 years ago, and it's already getting back after 4 months off the vegan diet. I know for sure it was the diet. I also use all organic, sulfate free, chemical free shampoos and conditioners.

barely.there
May 17th, 2012, 02:14 PM
So then if you know your new diet is working, what kind of answers do you expect from us? :p

SurferB
May 17th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Tips, mainly! Thank you!

constructamane
May 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM
.....careful with detangling....use wide tooth comb only or use your fingers, especially when wet. I also use a detangler spray. Check out products and articles recommended.

kitcatsmeow
May 20th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Dairy is dairy whether it comes from a goat a cow or a hippo! And it is one of the worst things humans can consume. Soy is also definitely a no no. I am a raw foodist and have been for a year and can say my hair has never been better. Most vegans/vegetarians eat a lot of dead food (cooked food). Cooking food kills vitamins, minerals and nutrients which is why you become malnourished. What you were eating was essentially useless to your body.

Years ago I did the same thing. Vegan/vegetarian and I became severely underweight and it wrecked my hair, skin and nails! And I was eating a lot.

I eat mostly fruits and veggies but also some seeds and nuts and even on occasion some sushi.

Try eating more raw, produce and your should notice a difference even if you don't cut anything else out!

Annibelle
May 20th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Kitcatsmeow, I'm a vegetarian (almost completely vegan) and I looooooooove cooked food, but I do want to be healthier. Which vegetables do you think I should definitely try to eat raw? I can't eat everything raw, but I think I could manage to do more. Right now, I routinely eat raw carrots, onions, and celery, but that's about it. :o

Micayla47
May 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
surferb welcome to lhc! i agree with everything madora advised. also, if you are bleaching or coloring your hair please check out those threads. there's lots of advice and tips on here for bleaching/dying in a more careful way than conventional products. if it's blond from surf & sun, you can also find advice about protecting your hair from the elements. you're oiling already, so that's good. good luck!

kitcatsmeow
May 21st, 2012, 05:23 AM
Kitcatsmeow, I'm a vegetarian (almost completely vegan) and I looooooooove cooked food, but I do want to be healthier. Which vegetables do you think I should definitely try to eat raw? I can't eat everything raw, but I think I could manage to do more. Right now, I routinely eat raw carrots, onions, and celery, but that's about it. :o

Well there really is no "super veggie" but I suggest loading up your salad with lots of yummy viggies....zucchini, cucumber, squash, avocado (actually all those are fruits but whatev lol) anything you please! Spouts are as close to a super veggie as yyou can get so eat up! And I'm sure you know to buy organic.

My best advice if you have trouble eating raw veggies is to eat mostly fruit!

Annibelle
May 21st, 2012, 05:47 AM
See, I don't eat salad anymore because I'm soooo tired of having to dig worms out of lettuce. :( All of the organic lettuce I've ever purchased was filled with worms, and it's super gross and they're hard to see and... yeah. Not appetizing.

I do eat avocados every day! And apples. But that's about it for fruit.

I didn't even know you could eat zucchini raw!

Xi
May 21st, 2012, 08:36 AM
My only advice is to enjoy the journey! :)
(And of course -- don't be afraid to take the advice you find helpful and leave the rest -- you will find the LHC tends to be very accepting and respectful of each person's individual way.)

kitcatsmeow
May 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
See, I don't eat salad anymore because I'm soooo tired of having to dig worms out of lettuce. :( All of the organic lettuce I've ever purchased was filled with worms, and it's super gross and they're hard to see and... yeah. Not appetizing.

I do eat avocados every day! And apples. But that's about it for fruit.

I didn't even know you could eat zucchini raw!

Yuck! why not but the pre packaged organic lettuce? I've never seen any worms but I don't eat much lettuce.

Absolutely eat zucchini raw! Actually that's what I make my "salads" with. I rarely use lettuce unless I find some hybrid butter or boston. Also hybrid should sove the problem of worms! Back to the zucchini...get a julienne slicer and julienne your zucchini and cucumbers. Chop up some spinach, onion, fresh garlic maybe some basil, peppers and tomatoes. Then I add either avocado or some raw hemp seed butter and a little flax seed oil. Toss and Voila! No need for lettuce. Also with more savory veggies like broccoli and cauliflower, throw them in the food processor with some carrots and your avocado or oil and whatever else you like you get a nice creamy salad. Yum!

Try smoothies too just don't use any dairy. Dairy does NOT combine well with fruit. Use some coconut or almond milk. I freeze strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to make my smoothies creamy. Frozen bananas work great but I had to quit eating them since they are migraine triggers.

Annibelle
May 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM
It is prepackaged organic lettuce that I got. :( And those worms will live in the fridge, too-- they don't seem to mind the cold! BAH!

Thanks for all of this information! Those are all foods I have in the fridge most of the time, so it should work out! :flower:

SurferB
May 21st, 2012, 07:10 PM
Dairy is dairy whether it comes from a goat a cow or a hippo! And it is one of the worst things humans can consume. Soy is also definitely a no no. I am a raw foodist and have been for a year and can say my hair has never been better. Most vegans/vegetarians eat a lot of dead food (cooked food). Cooking food kills vitamins, minerals and nutrients which is why you become malnourished. What you were eating was essentially useless to your body.

Years ago I did the same thing. Vegan/vegetarian and I became severely underweight and it wrecked my hair, skin and nails! And I was eating a lot.

That's actually only true if you eat pasteurized dairy. Raw dairy especially from goats is VERY beneficial for the body. I'm about to be a registered dietitian and currently I'm a Nutritionist.. I also did raw foods for a year and vegan... However, my hair started falling out. I also never ate soy products, processed meats, only wholesome foods etc. I did EVERYTHING right... I made sure my diet was very clean. Unfortunately, the raw and vegan diet did not work for me and I'm happy with what I'm doing now. My hormones are back to normal, energy is back, I started gaining the muscle that I lost when I was vegan back, my hair is growing in thick/fast, hairs not splitting like it was, my eyes aren't strained anymore, my forehead isn't dry and itchy anymore due to lack of omega 3's that my body wasn't converting properly etc. I could go on and on. I really wanted to vegan diet to work, as it looks so good on paper... Too bad I didn't feel as good as I thought I would.

Thanks for the advice though. I already eat many, many veggies and fruits raw as you listed.:cheese:

kitcatsmeow
May 22nd, 2012, 05:17 AM
That's actually only true if you eat pasteurized dairy. Raw dairy especially from goats is VERY beneficial for the body. I'm about to be a registered dietitian and currently I'm a Nutritionist.. I also did raw foods for a year and vegan... However, my hair started falling out. I also never ate soy products, processed meats, only wholesome foods etc. I did EVERYTHING right... I made sure my diet was very clean. Unfortunately, the raw and vegan diet did not work for me and I'm happy with what I'm doing now. My hormones are back to normal, energy is back, I started gaining the muscle that I lost when I was vegan back, my hair is growing in thick/fast, hairs not splitting like it was, my eyes aren't strained anymore, my forehead isn't dry and itchy anymore due to lack of omega 3's that my body wasn't converting properly etc. I could go on and on. I really wanted to vegan diet to work, as it looks so good on paper... Too bad I didn't feel as good as I thought I would.

Thanks for the advice though. I already eat many, many veggies and fruits raw as you listed.:cheese:

I disagree 100% and my personal belief is that western medicine and "diets" even healthy western diets, are poisonous. BUT, I say to each his (or her !) own. This is only what I believe. Do what makes you feel best and happy and works with your lifestyle. Your body is your temple and there are many different religions. Worship it as you choose and see fit. :) Personally I don't think one has to be raw to reap the benefits of eating an abundance of raw fruits and veggies! Something I'm sure the majority will agree with lol. I'm glad you found what is working for you and wish you continued health and success growing your hair!

One quick thing....you may have been going through a major detox. Everyone detoxes in different ways. For me, I won't get in to details, but I had the urge to use the restroom 5-10 times a day. Horrible gas, bloating and malabsorbtion. I actually visited my doctor. After a couple weeks and some experimenting with wheat grass juice (fixes everthing I swear!) and aloe vera juice I can honestly say my body has never worked more efficiently or predictably. I also had a period of flu like symptoms when I was terribly fatigued.

Remember, over the years humans have "evolved" and our poor digestive systems have adapted to accept gummy candies, fried bread and greasy cheese as food! Not that you've been eating these things but when all at once you start eating pure clean live food, your body is gonna go through some changes. :eek:

SurferB
May 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM
I disagree 100% and my personal belief is that western medicine and "diets" even healthy western diets, are poisonous. BUT, I say to each his (or her !) own. This is only what I believe. Do what makes you feel best and happy and works with your lifestyle. Your body is your temple and there are many different religions. Worship it as you choose and see fit. :) Personally I don't think one has to be raw to reap the benefits of eating an abundance of raw fruits and veggies! Something I'm sure the majority will agree with lol. I'm glad you found what is working for you and wish you continued health and success growing your hair!

One quick thing....you may have been going through a major detox. Everyone detoxes in different ways. For me, I won't get in to details, but I had the urge to use the restroom 5-10 times a day. Horrible gas, bloating and malabsorbtion. I actually visited my doctor. After a couple weeks and some experimenting with wheat grass juice (fixes everthing I swear!) and aloe vera juice I can honestly say my body has never worked more efficiently or predictably. I also had a period of flu like symptoms when I was terribly fatigued.

Remember, over the years humans have "evolved" and our poor digestive systems have adapted to accept gummy candies, fried bread and greasy cheese as food! Not that you've been eating these things but when all at once you start eating pure clean live food, your body is gonna go through some changes. :eek:

So... My hair thinning and falling out, along with all my other terrible feelings after and entire year of being raw vegan was detox? That's not detox. That's what you call malnutrition... Yes, if it was short term I can see that, but long term hair loss is not normal nor healthy.

I want to be honest with you, since I'm seeing a mirror image of what I used to be like... You can't deny the health benefits of raw goats milk/cheese. I did this for soo long, and I was dogmatic. It wasn't until I realized my health was fading away fast!! My body was crying out for some healthy fats, proper ratios of omega 3's between omega 6's. It's extremely beneficial for the body, digestive system, regulation of hormones, dissolving fat soluble vitamins, helps with building strong bones, etc. ONLY RAW milk/cheese though!!

KwaveT
May 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
So... My hair thinning and falling out, along with all my other terrible feelings after and entire year of being raw vegan was detox? That's not detox. That's what you call malnutrition... Yes, if it was short term I can see that, but long term hair loss is not normal nor healthy.

I want to be honest with you, since I'm seeing a mirror image of what I used to be like... You can't deny the health benefits of raw goats milk/cheese. I did this for soo long, and I was dogmatic. It wasn't until I realized my health was fading away fast!! My body was crying out for some healthy fats, proper ratios of omega 3's between omega 6's. It's extremely beneficial for the body, digestive system, regulation of hormones, dissolving fat soluble vitamins, helps with building strong bones, etc. ONLY RAW milk/cheese though!!

You may very well have been having a vitamin D deficiency then. You would not have been consuming foods that did have it. If you were not consuming enough fats then you would not have been able to use it in your body. Also have in your favor living in Florida. Sun should be strong enough year around to get proper amounts of it if you are not getting from your foods. I had a customer that said she had not had a haircut in six years because it had not grown. She went to doctor and they told her that very vitamin D levels were VERY critical. I told here that is the reason for her weak hair and nails.

kitcatsmeow
May 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
You may very well have been having a vitamin D deficiency then. You would not have been consuming foods that did have it. If you were not consuming enough fats then you would not have been able to use it in your body. Also have in your favor living in Florida. Sun should be strong enough year around to get proper amounts of it if you are not getting from your foods. I had a customer that said she had not had a haircut in six years because it had not grown. She went to doctor and they told her that very vitamin D levels were VERY critical. I told here that is the reason for her weak hair and nails.

Exactly. When raw you can definitely get all the vitamins and minerals you need but sometimes it CAN be very tricky figuring out where and which ones you need. You can get all your omegas from nuts and seeds and fatty fruits like avocado and coconut. There are very very few people drinking goats milk and most have never drank it and they are still getting all the nutrition they need!

But like I said...to each his own! I'm so glad you found something that works for you and makes you feel and look good. :)

Tizzles
May 23rd, 2012, 12:41 AM
I do not want to derail this thread, but since we have some very well versed people here in the nutrition department I have a question. I currently drink moo juice and I have been looking for ways to supplement and not drink it anymore. I was going to try Almond milk, but does it have the same nutritional value as goats milk? And when you say "raw goats milk" what does that mean? Room temperature or non pasturized? I'm not going totally raw or anything, but I think the moo juice is reaking havoc on my digestive system. I'm not totally lactose intolerant but my mom did tell me that at a young age if I drank 2% milk it would upset my tummy. I can drink it now, just not all the time and I can't have cheesey stuff all the time.

As is, I've been doing green smoothies for breakfast (no milk) and eating a good healthy salad during the day for lunch with extra fruit or something if I still manage to get hungry. I've been snaking on extra fruit throughout the day too, instead of grabbing chips. I've been doing baked fish and steamed veggies and a salad and the like for dinners, sometimes chicken. I'll never be a vegan or vegetarian, I just like meat too much and while I don't eat beef often, I don't think I could ever NOT eat it, even if it would probably make me feel better, I'm stubborn. I would like to start gradually changing things and a friend of mine totally quit Dairy and swears by it. I don't want to be that drastic so finding a suitable replacement has definitely perked my interests. Any information about this would be greatly appreciated, I think my body would definitely thank me.

ETA- Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to keep this thread on topic with the OP. I just didn't see the need to make a new thread when it was already being discussed here. Thank you :)

BlazingHeart
May 23rd, 2012, 02:15 AM
Em, for a great many of us, particularly caucasians (who are much, much more likely to have the genes that allow production of lactase, the enzyme needed to digest milk into adulthood), milk products are very important sources of nutrients. I personally have trouble digesting a lot of proteins, and when things get really bad, chicken and milk products end up the only proteins I can tolerate. (Red meat, fish, nuts, eggs, and pulses are all sometimes problematic for me; some of them are ALWAYS intolerble. Yeah, I'm an extreme case, but think about how common osteoporosis and other symptoms of undernourishment are in the world today)

It seems to me that most of the worst that diets can do to us is working in absolutes, with a few exceptions for noxious chemically created things like transfats and some preservatives.

~Blaze

meteor
May 23rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
Honestly, the worst thing I ever did to my hair, skin, bones, nails was going vegan. I did it for moral reasons, and I deeply respect vegans but it's just borderline malnourishment. It is extremely hard to keep the proper intake of essential fats and proteins. I took supplements all the time but my hair still shed like crazy and was weak and dull. I don't think supplements absorb as well as whole foods. Fish oil and whey were helpful, but it's not the same as eating good fish or steak. Remember that the best types of protein for hair is from animal sources (whey), rather than beans or soy.

You mentioned that you added eggs (great!) and even salmon once a week to your diet. Since you are a pescetarian now, why not eat fish and seafood more often? Omega 3s are great for hair and many, many other things.

SurferB
May 23rd, 2012, 08:35 PM

I'm living in IL right now and yes I was low in vitamin D as well. I did get my levels checked but they weren't too bad. I was consuming plenty of fats from nut sources mainly, which don't have the proper omega 3 to 6 ratio. Ekk..I'm doing SOO much better now. My levels are perfect. Before, I was lacking in many..

SurferB
May 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Honestly, the worst thing I ever did to my hair, skin, bones, nails was going vegan. I did it for moral reasons, and I deeply respect vegans but it's just borderline malnourishment. It is extremely hard to keep the proper intake of essential fats and proteins. I took supplements all the time but my hair still shed like crazy and was weak and dull. I don't think supplements absorb as well as whole foods. Fish oil and whey were helpful, but it's not the same as eating good fish or steak. Remember that the best types of protein for hair is from animal sources (whey), rather than beans or soy.

You mentioned that you added eggs (great!) and even salmon once a week to your diet. Since you are a pescetarian now, why not eat fish and seafood more often? Omega 3s are great for hair and many, many other things.

Thank you! Yeah, I started eating salmon twice per week as of a few days ago. I've been craving it! Also, I forgot to mention that I eat other fishes, as long as they are high quality. Good point ;P

SurferB
May 23rd, 2012, 08:59 PM
:)

]It sounds like you are more interested in “leaning into” a new lifestyle that’s not too drastic of a change. As a Certified Clinical Nutritionist in IL, I’m licensed to give nutritional advice. All others are not allowed to, by law, unless qualified to do so. I earned my bachelors in nutrition from an accredited state university that also has Registered Dietitian internships which I’m working on obtaining now. [/FONT]

SurferB
May 23rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
TIZZLES----

Now, since I wrote these posts really late at night after work, I noticed that I failed to mention one important factor when it comes to all types of dairy products, which is that they should all be organic (no growth hormones, no pesticides, etc) and from a trusted source. If not, I wouldn’t even touch it if I were you. When you hear about people saying terrible information pertaining to dairy, it’s because it’s pasteurized, non-organic dairy that isn’t good for you. I only eat raw dairy products, which means not heated/pasteurized. Almond milk is definitely GREAT for you, and more so than all pasteurized dairy. It has twice the amount of calcium, on average, than diary milk does from the store. Pasteurized dairy promotes osteoporosis because of the casein (milk protein) that becomes destroyed with heat causes the body to excrete more calcium than input. Go for an organic almond milk, coconut milk, or flax milk. Soy is not great…

SurferB
May 23rd, 2012, 09:04 PM
Exactly. When raw you can definitely get all the vitamins and minerals you need but sometimes it CAN be very tricky figuring out where and which ones you need. You can get all your omegas from nuts and seeds and fatty fruits like avocado and coconut. There are very very few people drinking goats milk and most have never drank it and they are still getting all the nutrition they need!

But like I said...to each his own! I'm so glad you found something that works for you and makes you feel and look good. :)

Yes, but you can't get the proper ratio of omega 3's to omega 6's like I state before. You would need a very concentrated source of omega 3's.

SurferB
May 30th, 2012, 11:13 AM
UPDATE:

Okay everyone! I've been taking fish oil supplements from Whole Foods 2000mg/day for a couple of months. I'm seeing a huge difference in hair growth. The hair I lost when I was vegan is growing back strong like it used to be! I'm eating whole foods brand Salmon 2x per week now too! Also, all the things listed above. I'm using a shower head that filters out the chlorine and flouride, too! I noticed my itchy forehead is now healed! I'll be posting pictures~!

Annibelle
May 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm basically a vegan (but I still eat honey), and I lost a lot of hair thickness when I went veg 8ish years ago. I will not go back to eating animals, but could you give some advice as to what (vegan) sources I could look into to regrow my hair? :flower:

Louise148
May 31st, 2012, 07:08 AM
My daughter is a vegetarian and has been for about 4 years. During the first year we noticed a lot of shedding and I figured it must be due to the drop in her protein intake. So we incorporated whey protein into her diet and all has been fine ever since. She does eat eggs now though so that also helps.

Lou x

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 10:20 AM
I'm going vegan, so I can't do whey or eggs... I hope there's a vegan solution to this! I know there are lots of plant proteins, and I currently get around 40 grams per day, but I'd love any other suggestions... there are sprout protein powders I could try. If you have any suggestions about how to make them not taste/feel disgusting, I'd love to try them. ;)

SurferB
May 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm basically a vegan (but I still eat honey), and I lost a lot of hair thickness when I went veg 8ish years ago. I will not go back to eating animals, but could you give some advice as to what (vegan) sources I could look into to regrow my hair? :flower:

Basically, I know for a fact that no matter how much organic raw walnuts, flax seeds grounded, etc., I would eat my hair still would fall out. I will not go back to eating animals as well. I can't do it, even the thought makes my stomach twist.

However, I have seen such a progression with adding by-products back into my diet minus the salmon I eat 2x per week. I'm a nutritionist, and when I was vegan, I tried my best at perfecting my diet because it's what I do for a living. A common problem I see with vegans is the ratio between omega 3's vs. omega 6's. Even in foods rich in omega 3's, the ratio between the omega 6's is far too high. The best thing is to take a supplement.

Personally, it wasn't until I added high quality fish oil (not rancid like many others are), did I see the most positive change in my health. I started taking 3000 mg of omega 3 in DHA and EPA form per day. My forehead stopped itching, my scalp wasn't dry, and my hair grew much faster/thicker. I highly recommend it!

SurferB
May 31st, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'm going vegan, so I can't do whey or eggs... I hope there's a vegan solution to this! I know there are lots of plant proteins, and I currently get around 40 grams per day, but I'd love any other suggestions... there are sprout protein powders I could try. If you have any suggestions about how to make them not taste/feel disgusting, I'd love to try them. ;)

Try Garden of Life protein. It's 100% vegan and it tastes good! It's full of raw vitamins and minerals (aka it's not made in labs).

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 01:08 PM
I can't do fish oil as I'm vegetarian... are there any other omega 3 things I could do?

I'll look into Garden of Life! :cheese:

heidi w.
May 31st, 2012, 01:15 PM
Welcome to LHC, SurferB!

General hints:

All of what she said. Also, long hair, whatever the end goal is, is an exercise in patience. Growing hair longer can not be done overnight. So, when you get frustrated, ask people here for help. Lots of good ideas on LHC.

Last thing I want to say is it's not one big thing that one does creates pretty hair; it's all the little details that add up, such as not piling hair on the head when washing the hair; using a comb, not a brush, to detangle. Oiling length might be appropriate, but you have to find the technique that works best for your hair type. Satin or slippery fabric pillowcase. Always using conditioner. Not overly detangling wet hair after a fresh hair wash. (Cause hair is it's most stretched out in terms of length when it is wet.) There's a lot to know concerning even the mere basics.

I wish you good luck, and mostly: Welcome to LHC.
heidi w.

heidi w.
May 31st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Vegans can do well on this type of diet; but I am one who does not do well on this type of diet. For one, I gained a boatload of weight, and this was at the height of my workout era in life. I worked out about 2 hours every day at the time.

Eating a diet completely void of any kind of fat is not a good idea because for so many nutrients, fat in the diet is the carrier of these nutrients. Make sure you eat enough protein.

Hair does not stay the same the entirety of one's life. There are approximately 4 times in one's hair life that people tend to notice the changes the most. Around age 27is the first one. (This is covered by George Michael's long hair care book.) It will not maintain its color forever; shed rates can change over time, and especially as a signal to a kind of health problem. IF you're ever pregnant, things will be a little different for a little while. That kind of thing.....

heidi w.

meteor
May 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM
I can't do fish oil as I'm vegetarian... are there any other omega 3 things I could do?

Here's a good article on omega-3 for vegans: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3

You would need to eat lots of different nuts, seeds, oils to try and counteract shedding due to such a limiting diet.
You mentioned that you are breaking the vegan rule for honey. Honey is basically sugar (you can get that stuff elsewhere on a vegan diet). If you choose only 1 product that will be an exception, try to find a protein & oil-rich one, like eggs, seafood, something that your body really needs.

Also, you might want to oil scalp pre-wash with growth promoting herb-infused oils, some Ayurvedic oils can help. Maybe this can counteract the effect of your diet just a bit.

I also recommend VEGA as 100% vegan products - check out their ingredients, I love the quality of the supplements, they helped me a lot when I was vegan. However, no supplements will do you as much good as real food. I just really recommend NOT being 100% vegan. Even doing 1 vegetarian or pescatarian day a week in a vegan diet would be helpful.

Annibelle
May 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
Here's a good article on omega-3 for vegans: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/omega3

You would need to eat lots of different nuts, seeds, oils to try and counteract shedding due to such a limiting diet.
You mentioned that you are breaking the vegan rule for honey. Honey is basically sugar (you can get that stuff elsewhere on a vegan diet). If you choose only 1 product that will be an exception, try to find a protein & oil-rich one, like eggs, seafood, something that your body really needs.

Also, you might want to oil scalp pre-wash with growth promoting herb-infused oils, some Ayurvedic oils can help. Maybe this can counteract the effect of your diet just a bit.

I also recommend VEGA as 100% vegan products - check out their ingredients, I love the quality of the supplements, they helped me a lot when I was vegan. However, no supplements will do you as much good as real food. I just really recommend NOT being 100% vegan. Even doing 1 vegetarian or pescatarian day a week in a vegan diet would be helpful.

The reason I (very occasionally) eat honey is because of ethical reasons, as when it is ethically obtained, it does not harm the bees. But I don't want to sacrifice my morals over this. I don't want animals to suffer over my health, as my health is really not nearly bad enough to justify such a move for me.

Also, I haven't shed much in six years. It was just a sudden thinning and then I've maintained since. I barely shed at all. So maybe I don't need anything I'm not already getting anyway? :confused: I don't really know much about nutrition, admittedly. :o

SurferB
May 31st, 2012, 04:34 PM

Great recommendations and I must say that I agree 100%. Could you please explain why you do not recommend a 100% vegan diet? I know, there are many causes for concern, such as inactive B-12 sources, vD3, zinc, etc. I always ask everyone who states this to know their personal experience while on the diet/lifestyle. Thank you for your help here!