PDA

View Full Version : Dip Dye!

luxepiggy
May 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Yup, I actually did it. Let none accuse little piggies of being all talk and no action! (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/dipdyetips.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/dipdyetips2a.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/dipdyetipsbun.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/dipdyetipssun.jpg

pepperminttea
May 16th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I love it! The blue ends poking out of your bun looks epic! :bluebiggr

luxepiggy
May 16th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I love it! The blue ends poking out of your bun looks epic! :bluebiggr

Thanks! And you even gave me a blue smiley! Awesome (^(oo)^)v

door72067
May 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
that really looks amazing on you!

pepperminttea
May 16th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks! And you even gave me a blue smiley! Awesome (^(oo)^)v

It was just so appropriate I couldn't resist! :bluesmile

Valfreyja
May 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM
You are SO awesome! I'm speechless...

ladylowtide
May 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I love it! :cheese:

Makes me wish my red ends were intentional.

meishkamooshka
May 16th, 2012, 06:26 PM
That look so great! I'm inspired. I especially love how it looks styled. SO COOL! :thumbsup:

millyaulait
May 16th, 2012, 06:34 PM
That's gorgeous! :D

Amethyste
May 16th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Totally awesome... The blue looks vibrant yet rich!

Kyla
May 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM
That looks amazing with your hair! :D Beautiful!

swearnsue
May 16th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Wow, that looks totally oinkingly great!

Tisiloves
May 16th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Amazing, did you bleach or did you manage that with just direct dye?

Vanilla
May 16th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I love it. :). And I agree the blue ends poking out of your bun are epic :)

luxepiggy
May 16th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Valfreyja, ladylowtide, meishkamooshka, millyaulait, Amethyste, Kyla, swearnsue, Tisiloves & Vanilla - thank you all for the compliments! (^(oo)^)v

Tisiloves - There was definitely bleach involved :wannabe:

Quixii
May 16th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Very cool! Did you have to bleach? It's so wonderfully vibrant! I love it. :)

ETA: Whoops, just saw that you did have to bleach. Still, the results are great!

kallarina
May 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM
WOW! Just WOW. That looks so good! Your hair is just shockingly beautiful!!!

gracenotes
May 16th, 2012, 09:56 PM
That's awesome! I miss my dip dye now.

ApatheticFairy
May 16th, 2012, 10:08 PM
That's awesome-- so bright!. How did you manage to bleach out the black and still look so darn healthy?? I tried going blonde after red and wrecked myself. -.-;;

luckyshot
May 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM
That looks awesome! I think I'm going to try this with my bleached ends when my roots grow out longer.

kidari
May 16th, 2012, 10:28 PM
That is so AWESOME!!! It looks really cool up or down.

Bunnysaur
May 16th, 2012, 10:30 PM
That is so awesome! How did you get the blue so vibrant with such dark hair?

MonicaJean
May 16th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Love love love it! I've been so tempted to do this especially since my hair is blonde, which would be so easy to work with. My hair is too short for it to look good though, IMO. Damn. By the time I get to the length I want it will probably be out of fashion (maybe I won't care though. haha).

Anyway, the blue looks amazing especially in the bun.

PurplePenguin
May 16th, 2012, 11:34 PM
It looks uber awesome Piggy!

anime_length
May 17th, 2012, 01:15 AM
It looks so cool! Did you have to bleach the ends?

EmmaDStrange
May 17th, 2012, 01:21 AM
Ah thats SO COOL! Loving blue atm, been tempted to put dark vibrant blue streaks in my black hair for a while, but now I've decided I'm growing out the unnatural black, so I'm just gonna have to be content with seeing your beautiful hair instead!

joflakes
May 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Ooh, very pretty! I would like to know which dye you used, though! :)

Littlewing13
May 17th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Love it! :)

oktobergoud
May 17th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Awesome! :D

SakuraGirl
May 17th, 2012, 02:32 AM
Love it! Looks so awesome in that bun!

Phexlyn
May 17th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Your blue ends look fantastic, luxepiggy! :D
I love the bun picture!

skaempfer
May 17th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Oooooh! And with blingy bits too! That looks cracking, Piggy! I toast you with a donut :flower: (we don't have donut emoticons, so I give you a flower instead, and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=-PVu3FO05zU), starring the cutest donut ever. I will never, never chew this gum, because I want this donut to hang around me forever.)

Neneka
May 17th, 2012, 03:03 AM
It's gorgeous! You look like a fairy. :)

Hairizona
May 17th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Well curl my tail, it looks fantastic on you, luxepiggy!

afu
May 17th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Looks lovely :)

faellen
May 17th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Oh wooow that looks fantastic! Jealous!
The bun looks especially brilliant :D

BelleBot
May 17th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Oh wow, your hair looks fantastic, I love the blue, such a beautiful shade :)

spidermom
May 17th, 2012, 09:46 AM
It could not look better; awesome, in fact!

luxepiggy
May 17th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Quixii, kallarina, gracenotes, ApatheticFairy, kidari, luckyshot, PurplePenguin, EmmaDStrange, Bunnysaur, MonicaJean, Littlewing13, anime_length, oktobergoud, joflakes, SakuraGirl, Phexlyn, skaempfer, Hairizona, faellen, Neneka, BelleBot, and spidermom:
Thank you all for your incredibly kind words! http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/3heo131.gif

That's awesome-- so bright!. How did you manage to bleach out the black and still look so darn healthy?? I tried going blonde after red and wrecked myself. -.-;;

Immediately before bleaching, I did an ascorbic acid soak to remove any hard water metal ions from my hair. Then I used an amodimethicone conditioner, because amodimethicone has been shown to reduce oxidative hair damage from chemical processing. I also cut my bleach mixture with a bit of conditioner, and did all of my post-bleach washing & rinsing with ascorbic-acid treated water. Keep in mind, though, that I was bleaching out my natural pigment, not artificial colour.

That looks awesome! I think I'm going to try this with my bleached ends when my roots grow out longer.

Pictures! Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

That is so awesome! How did you get the blue so vibrant with such dark hair?

My natural hair colour is actually lighter (level 3), and I use blue deposit dye to make my hair blue-black. So basically I bleached out my natural colour from underneath the existing blue dye (^(oo)^)v

Love love love it! I've been so tempted to do this especially since my hair is blonde, which would be so easy to work with. My hair is too short for it to look good though, IMO. Damn. By the time I get to the length I want it will probably be out of fashion (maybe I won't care though. haha).

Anyway, the blue looks amazing especially in the bun.

I don't think your hair is too short for it to look good! In fact, the tutorial I followed to fade the bleached portion into the rest of my hair was done on hair that was shorter than APL - you should go for it! Take advantage of the fact that you don't have to bleach, you lucky ducky :D

It looks so cool! Did you have to bleach the ends?

I did; thankfully they seem to have survived without catastrophic damage :p

Ooh, very pretty! I would like to know which dye you used, though! :)

Pravana Chromasilk Vivids Blue (^(oo)^)v

Oooooh! And with blingy bits too! That looks cracking, Piggy! I toast you with a donut :flower: (we don't have donut emoticons, so I give you a flower instead, and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=-PVu3FO05zU), starring the cutest donut ever. I will never, never chew this gum, because I want this donut to hang around me forever.)

That is the cutest donut ever!! The turkey leg is a little frightening tho (^(oo)^)`

It's gorgeous! You look like a fairy. :)

Woo! Fairy pig! I like it http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/fairypiggy.gif

joflakes
May 17th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks! It's a shame I can't get it over here as it look fab.

jacqueline101
May 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I love it the color and the bun picture is great. I'd like to know how you did it? Professional or self done.

lapushka
May 17th, 2012, 04:26 PM
That looks totally amazing! Love the bun! :)

bluesnowflake
May 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Ooh, I love it! IT's a pretty shade of blue and it looks awesome with the ends coming out of the bun.

Anywhere
May 17th, 2012, 08:01 PM
It looks awesome. With the black and the hair tinsel, your hair reminds me of a starry night sky. ;)

Carolyn
May 17th, 2012, 08:04 PM
That is absolutely amazing! I love the blue with your oh so dark hair. And that messy bun! I love the blue ends sticking out of it and I admire your messy bun skills.

Capybara
May 17th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Love the blue ends!

I spy some pretty hair tinsel as well :DI

holothuroidea
May 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
:bigeyes: Soooo pretty!

I love it.

rowie
May 17th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I love it! http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/62556d2c.gifAwesome job!

Dragon Faery
May 17th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Perfect color combination! Simply pigtastic! So classy in an in-your-face sort of way. :) love it!

Hairwish
May 17th, 2012, 10:43 PM
It looks awesome!

Faux
May 17th, 2012, 10:54 PM
You're hair is just gorgeous!

Ticky
May 18th, 2012, 04:20 AM
It looks great! Especially when it is in a bun :)

Exodus
May 18th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I like it! I've lately been wanting dip-dyed hair myself, but, my hair is wavy, and my own personal opinion is that it looks better on straight. And I think I'm too clumsy too do it myself :/

gracenotes
May 18th, 2012, 05:50 AM
I like it! I've lately been wanting dip-dyed hair myself, but, my hair is wavy, and my own personal opinion is that it looks better on straight. And I think I'm too clumsy too do it myself :/

I've seen lots of really nice wavy dip dyes :) (I might be a little biased though because I have wavy hair and I had a dip dye a while ago :p) But I think wavy hair is less fussy to dip-dye than straight hair because there's not as much pressure to get the dye demarcation line perfect. :cool:

Bedhead
May 18th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Oooh! Fun! :hifive:

I've always loved that combination of that blue with black hair.

Henrietta
May 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
You made me want to do it. With red, though. Natural looking red. I won't dare (one dying fail is enough), but the very idea is great and the blue looks super cool :) Makes me think of precious stones.

amylou
May 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I also just did a dip dye this week. It was purple. It's fading now though. Yours looks a lot more vibrant and pretty though.

pink.sara
May 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Very nice :-)

theodora
May 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Oh yay you did it and it looks amazing! Makes me want to dip dye again, it's so nice and summery!

Bianca
May 18th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Looks great piggy :D

unknown
May 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Your hair is my dream hair... Oh, the colour...:blossom:

hazelscythe
May 18th, 2012, 03:08 PM
My sister has been debating whether to "dip dye" her hair. I was against it until I saw your pictures. So lovely!
I'm going to send her this link.

luxepiggy
May 19th, 2012, 09:09 PM
jacqueline101, lapushka, bluesnowflake, Anywhere, Carolyn, Capybara, holothuroidea, rowie, Dragon Faery, Hairwish, Faux, Ticky, Exodus, Bedhead, Henrietta, amylou, pink.sara, theodora, Bianca, unknown, hazelscythe - Thank you all for your wonderful comments! I really appreciate each and every one (^(oo)^)`

Thanks! It's a shame I can't get it over here as it look fab.

I think there's an eBay seller that ships to the UK, it was mentioned in the Pravana Vivids thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1964486&postcount=111

It looks awesome. With the black and the hair tinsel, your hair reminds me of a starry night sky. ;)
I love that comparison! What a beautiful mental image :heartbeat

That is absolutely amazing! I love the blue with your oh so dark hair. And that messy bun! I love the blue ends sticking out of it and I admire your messy bun skills.

Thank you Carolyn! I do love messy buns. They distract people from my inability to make tidy ones (^(oo)~)

Love the blue ends!

I spy some pretty hair tinsel as well :DI

Indeed, I'm still a faithful hair-tinsel devotee :D

Perfect color combination! Simply pigtastic! So classy in an in-your-face sort of way. :) love it!

"Classy in an in-your-face sort of way" = best description of my personal style ever b(^(oo)^)d

I've been wanting to dip-dye for nearly a year, but I hesitated because I'd only seen it on wavy/curly hair, and was afraid that it would look odd on straight! How funny that you're suffering the same thing in reverse (^(oo)^)`

I think wavy hair is less fussy to dip-dye than straight hair because there's not as much pressure to get the dye demarcation line perfect. :cool:
So true! I majorly stressed over that, because I knew if my demarcation line was wonky it would be super obvious :p

You made me want to do it. With red, though. Natural looking red. I won't dare (one dying fail is enough), but the very idea is great and the blue looks super cool :) Makes me think of precious stones.

What about a temporary rinse? :D

I also just did a dip dye this week. It was purple. It's fading now though. Yours looks a lot more vibrant and pretty though.

Pictures? Pretty please? With extra bacon? x(^(oo)^)x

Oh yay you did it and it looks amazing! Makes me want to dip dye again, it's so nice and summery!
Why not? (^(oo)~)

My sister has been debating whether to "dip dye" her hair. I was against it until I saw your pictures. So lovely!
I'm going to send her this link.
If your sister is planning to do it at home, this is the technique I used to get a smooth fade between the colours: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSLLD845QT8

SunlightShines
May 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Blue is the perfect color. It looks beautiful! :)

Aimskylove
May 19th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Ahh you did do it and it looks awesome! :) Did you do it over the black or lighten it first?

luxepiggy
May 20th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Blue is the perfect color. It looks beautiful! :)
Thank you!

Ahh you did do it and it looks awesome! :) Did you do it over the black or lighten it first?

I did indeed! After seeing your pics I just couldn't resist the temptation any longer :D I sort of did it under the black, in a way - basically I bleached to remove my natural colour from underneath the blue that was already in my hair. Very convenient (^(oo)^)v

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Your hair is gorgeous, I LOVE the blue ends. And the tinsel:D

Xi
May 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Looks wonderful, luxpiggy!!:cheer:

Desdesdes
May 20th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Gorgeous! I love it.

carloota
May 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
luxepiggy your hair looks great. I'm jelly. I'm contemplating dip-dying my ends, now. You've inspired me. :)

Aimskylove
May 20th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Thank you!

I did indeed! After seeing your pics I just couldn't resist the temptation any longer :D I sort of did it under the black, in a way - basically I bleached to remove my natural colour from underneath the blue that was already in my hair. Very convenient (^(oo)^)v

Awww awesome! I did the same thing. I removed my black with a few washes with vitamin c and then did one bleach wash. After that it was good enough to dye :) I love it, it looks great!

Jing
May 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Oooh, that looks awesome! Do want. :thumbsup:

einna
May 21st, 2012, 01:06 PM
Woooow! It looks fantastic! =)

luxepiggy
May 22nd, 2012, 04:29 PM
BrightEyes, Xi, Desdesdes, carloota, Jing & einna - Thank you! (^(oo)^)

Awww awesome! I did the same thing. I removed my black with a few washes with vitamin c and then did one bleach wash. After that it was good enough to dye :) I love it, it looks great!

I didn't know vitamin C lightens hair?!? I've been using it as a rinse for hard water - eep! (*(oo)*)

luxepiggy
May 22nd, 2012, 04:40 PM
Showing off my dip-dye with some porkbun fireworks today - kaboom! \(^(oo)^)/
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/porkbunfireworks.jpg

seven77
May 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Oh wow, that is gorgeous! I love blue hair!

spookyghost
May 22nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
You are rocking the blue girl! Looks amazing:)

Dragon Faery
May 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/porkbunfireworks.jpg

This is particularly pigtastic!

ravenheather
May 24th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I wanna dip dye!

Slug Yoga
May 24th, 2012, 09:32 PM

OMG, that is awesome! How did you do it, did you just do a couple of bun coils so that you had length left, then arrange them in spikes and pin the bun?

You've also inspired me to consider doing this...never thought I'd dye my hair, but considering I've been meaning to maintain at this length, maybe I can do a dip-dye of the last few inches and then just cut it off after it grows :D

longhairedlady
May 24th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Holy smokes that is one pretty bun!

Aimskylove
May 24th, 2012, 10:48 PM
BrightEyes, Xi, Desdesdes, carloota, Jing & einna - Thank you! (^(oo)^)

I didn't know vitamin C lightens hair?!? I've been using it as a rinse for hard water - eep! (*(oo)*)

lol oh noes! I buy vitamin c tablets and mush em into powder and then mix it with my clarifying shampoo. but I leave that on my hair for about an hour so maybe the time is what lightens the color.

Rini
May 25th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Looooooove it!! :inlove: It look so spectacular with your glossy dark straight hair! What a great look :D

CurlyCurves
June 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
How did you get this colour with such dark hair? :O

Bunnysaur
June 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I'm doing this right now! But with pink!

LaFlor
June 30th, 2012, 03:45 PM
The blue is such a perfect color with your black hair... love it! :blossom:

NataschaB.
June 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Looks pretty cool :D

petali
June 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Your hair is so stylish!

prettykitty
July 4th, 2012, 09:25 PM
So cute piggy! I could squeal with cuteness! :D

jellycatty
July 4th, 2012, 09:46 PM
very pretty!

maborosi
July 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Piggy your hair is just gorgeous and awesome! ^.^ Love the blue!

~maborosi~

11eleven
July 4th, 2012, 09:56 PM
OOH, beautiful!

Kaelee
July 4th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Awesome!!! I'm envious! :D And are those bling strands I see?