PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions About Hair Changes

ssjhotau2
May 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM
For a long time I've been desiring changes. I REALLY want to do something new with my hair- what keeps holding me back is that I don't know WHAT to do with my hair. I really like it long- but I don't like the way it just hangs there.
So Question number one: What would be the best hair cut for my face shape/ to frame my face.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG8303.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG8323.jpg

And Question number two: I'm torn between staying with henna or chopping back to my super short hair cut to grow out my natural color. I don't know which one looks better on me. I LOVE the red- but I'm not sure it suits me as well as my natural color did :confused:

Natural
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG4523-1.jpg

Henna
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG5619.jpg

Please help.

I posed this same question to facebook and I got "layer it, curl it, highlights!" So I figured my RL friends can't be trusted with hair questions.

red-again
May 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Well no, your RL friends know Jack S**t, sorry!!
I have never seen anyone suit the henna red you have more than you do in your pics. Unbelievable! Stunning

I would at the VERY most get a few face framing layers just to give lift around your face but you really don't need it. I think it's a grass is greener situation, if you do get to the other side, you will wish you hadn't done anything! I know this all too well. Got bored with my BSL, henndigoed, one length mainly but with a few scattered long layers, bleach bathed (soap cap) twice, applied special effects then bleached streaks (full strength) and added Pravana Vivids Red all over. And now I am over my madness, have discovered this forum and am trying to grow length and get rid of damage.
Not a good idea, take your time please!

Tota
May 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I think you look stunning on the last picture. Henna really complements your eyes. And your hair is just amazing. I'm not the one to give any advice as I hate my layered hair and can't wait to have my hair like yours is.

Honeyfall
May 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM
When I saw the first few pictures of you I thought 'Another natural redhead with super pretty hair...' you really have the skin to carry it off perfectly, I would never have guessed that it wasn't natural at all. You're very lucky!

I say keep the red, I think it looks really flattering on you. I am not so great with hair styles so I don't really have much to offer on that one... Whatever you decide to do, you have gorgeous hair!

Curly Hermione
May 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Keep the red! You are stunning! I would kill for your hair. :) You look amazing.

joflakes
May 16th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Keep the henna! It looks awesome and like others have said, really suits you.
Have you considered getting a side-swept bang cut in? I think that'd suit you. That or some shorter layers around the front?

brave
May 16th, 2012, 03:21 PM
I agree with what others have said -- maybe just have a few wispy side-framing layers cut, ending around an inch below jaw? It would add a little bit more visual interest and be something "new" that won't really effect how you wear your hair at all.

jacqueline101
May 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I like the red.

cmg
May 16th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I liked the natural color very much. Together with the face, the eye colour, the glasses and makeup, the package deal is very very beautiful. But I also think you have a slight warm undertone in your skin and therefore the red note of the henna compliments you also. That looks good too. You can go either way!

Do you like yourself with long hair? I think it suits you very well. I wouldnt do too much fancy stuff with the cut. Some layers perhaps and perhaps highlights, but I think your hair in a shiny, healthy condition is pretty enough without "extras".

Personally I would stay within the natural colour an perhaps just add some red, copper, hazel or even chocolate high/lowlights?

/CMG

cuties
May 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I agree with the layers. I have same face shape as you and layers suit my face a lot.
I like the color on your hair. Looks good.

cmg
May 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
You wanted change?

Alternatives for you could be something like this
(disregard the colour, just look at the cuts)

http://blogg.vk.se/uploads/545/images/nyfrillasommaren3.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSOTereQL2bdALAW_M7GHrOzPnnx9p8g 0hBGhAMpidOREi90Acsjw

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcReL4LePrHyn52FR6iU6ub-J4lHPeL46QzXcQsWcDLdeaIoxll8Rq_6eARI

or perhaps a shorter, more spikey version of this one:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUlVwE9QTrYgF25UmhArhGjP40QTW-SSo8fCsPKNXebAvNjXGhbSniubQKRQ

Probably sacrilege to suggest something like theese on LHC :D but I think these cuts could suit you with not too much upkeep.

/CMG

ssjhotau2
May 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM
cmg- I like the way the hair frames the face on the last picture- but I think that is just a little too short for me. Thank you though, because I like the pictures.
This (http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/youngShelly.jpg) is the shortest my hair has ever been. While I loved the hair cut- I really like growing my hair out and I think I look better with long hair.
I just really want to feel like my hair compliments me- and I don't feel that so much when I just keep it scraped back in a bun.

ssjhotau2
May 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you everyone. I really do like the red- its nice to know that it likes me too. While I did love all the subtle colors of my natural hair, I think I like the various shades of red more, I just didn't know if they went as well with my skin.
I have a horrible time distinguishing my actual skin tone/face shape/coloring from what I WANT my skin tone/face shape/coloring to be. I'm just as terrible when it comes to picking out clothes and makeup lol. I just REALLY don't know what looks good on me.

Faux
May 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Keep the length, but add some face framing layers. I just had some done and I love it (not pictured in avatar).

Faux
May 16th, 2012, 08:32 PM
You could get a feather extension too! A really long one would be awesome!

ssjhotau2
May 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM
You could get a feather extension too! A really long one would be awesome!

Oooh I LOVE feather extensions- I just don't know what colors would look good. I've never gotten them before, but I prefer when the feathers are natural- not dyed. My favorite feathers are peacock, but I haven't seen anyone with peacock feathers in their hair lol.

jeanniet
May 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'm not the person to ask about styling questions, but that red looks amazing on you!

catamonica
May 16th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Keep the red. Its beautiful. And you are very pretty.

MonicaJean
May 17th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I personally think your hair is gorgeous, and that the color looks great on you and I also don't feel like your hair looks like it's just hanging there. However, I know that may be move of the way it feels than the way it looks, or that maybe it's a subtle thing. Anyway, what I usually do when I'm having those same issues (about the all one length hair) is I angle my hair just around my face so that I have a bit of "layering" just around my face to soften things up and play with to change my look a bit. That way it 's super easy to grow out and it also doesn't thin your hair out like full on layering would. :)

julierockhead
May 17th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Your henna shade looks perfect for you, keep!

I get antsy about my hair too. Puppycatmeow, on etsy and artfire, has great hair pieces that can give you a big change with no change at all. Just ask her to send some color samples, and get some toys!

oktobergoud
May 17th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I say stick with the henna! :)

I like your hair long, but it also looked good supershort! I've been craving a change lately as well so I feel you ;) But ehm, yeah, what to do? I don't know! I like your hair now but if you really want a change.. maybe (if you're willing to go a lot shorter) a shoulderlength bob or something?

I think with your face you can pull off anything though!

jessa
May 17th, 2012, 02:06 AM
keep the red! it looks stunning. my suggestion would be to perhaps get some kind of bangs, i recently got short side swept bangs cut with my bsl hair and it made so much of a difference and i love it. it was just what i needed.

ssjhotau2
May 20th, 2012, 03:02 AM

I've been thinking a lot about banks/face framing layers.
What about something like this (http://www.dailymakeover.com/appImages/galleryImages/women_celebrity_hairstyles/Reese_Witherspoon+Oct_26_2010.jpg) ?

I don't know what my face shape is- but I think I have a similar jaw line and cheek bones...

Suze2012
May 20th, 2012, 03:25 AM
The henna is gorgeous on you..I think it brings out your eyes beautifully.
I love the red too...am struggling but I think the henna wins!

I do also love the pic of you in glasses and it looks like your hair is parted higher on your head and more just offside of the middle in that photo and I think it suits you.

The photo with the glasses..I love where the hair skims past your eyes so I'm thinking go for layers at the front but only just under the jaw to start with so that it sweeps around your face to soften it a little.

I can see where you are coming from with the photo of..er..I can't remember her name..but I think in some ways it could spoil your face shape just because where you have it parted higher it sweeps and softens you....plus getting longer layers in at the front - if you don't like it you can then go shorter..hers look pretty long but if I were you I'd try jaw length or just below to begin with.

Too short and too heavy a fringe is such a pain to grow out - I know from experience.:(

Suze2012
May 20th, 2012, 03:31 AM
And just to add...you do have a similar shaped face but yours is softer looking and she has a slightly harder edge to her face shape.
I prefer your face shape to hers and I guess this is where I'm coming from as a fringe can harshen a face shape up - I wouldn't want you to lose the 'softness' in your face shape. It's prettier than hers is.

SnowWhite
May 20th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I think some face framing layers would look lovely!
Just like Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice but without the bangs... You have very soft feminine features and I think it would look great!
But I like your hair as it is now too! The color is also gorgeous, you definitely pull it off!

theodora
May 20th, 2012, 04:11 AM
I like the henna on you and getting rid of it would be a really big sacrifice on your length, although I understand the appeal of natural colour as I'm personally growing out lots of bleach.
I do think some nice side bangs would look good on you and they're less commitment than layers (in my opinion) as you could keep your length mostly one-length (maybe some very slight layering there) while having the nice change of some bangs. I personally cut bangs into my hair every winter and every summer they've grown out enough that they just look like a chin-length layer and don't bother me. They're not that big a commitment unless you get super short ones (which frankly suit just about 1% of the population anyways).

cmg
May 24th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The henna is gorgeous on you..I think it brings out your eyes beautifully.
I love the red too...am struggling but I think the henna wins!

I do also love the pic of you in glasses and it looks like your hair is parted higher on your head and more just offside of the middle in that photo and I think it suits you.

The photo with the glasses..I love where the hair skims past your eyes so I'm thinking go for layers at the front but only just under the jaw to start with so that it sweeps around your face to soften it a little.

I can see where you are coming from with the photo of..er..I can't remember her name..but I think in some ways it could spoil your face shape just because where you have it parted higher it sweeps and softens you....plus getting longer layers in at the front - if you don't like it you can then go shorter..hers look pretty long but if I were you I'd try jaw length or just below to begin with.

Too short and too heavy a fringe is such a pain to grow out - I know from experience.:(

I second that.

/ CMG

ladylowtide
May 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure about the cut, but I obviously you were meant to be a red head. I almost always favor people's natural colors, but you look incredible with the henna!

ravenheather
May 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Definitely stay red. It's gorgeous on you. I think your hair is beautiful. I don't think you "need" to change a thing. If you are bored I'd say a few face framing layers starting at jaw-chin length. But is that going to bug you when your hair is up?

ssjhotau2
June 13th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Thank you everyone :)

I don't think fringe would bug me, and if it is longer fringe than tucking it behind my ears is always an option :p

Mostly I want a change- but it has also been 2 years since I've had a professional cut and my hair needs a good pair of scissors wielded by someone who (hopefully) knows what they're doing. There is a lot of damage and my own attempts at layering have created a deep V when I really wanted a very gradual U shape.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG8368.jpg

I'm thinking I'll probably have to cut back to around Waist to start working towards my ideal hemline. Regardless I have a hair appointment this Saturday morning- wish me luck.

I'm thinking of just explaining my goals to her and then leaving myself into her hands. Since I don't really know what I want.

Nellon
June 13th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Thank you everyone :)

I don't think fringe would bug me, and if it is longer fringe than tucking it behind my ears is always an option :p

Mostly I want a change- but it has also been 2 years since I've had a professional cut and my hair needs a good pair of scissors wielded by someone who (hopefully) knows what they're doing. There is a lot of damage and my own attempts at layering have created a deep V when I really wanted a very gradual U shape.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG8368.jpg

I'm thinking I'll probably have to cut back to around Waist to start working towards my ideal hemline. Regardless I have a hair appointment this Saturday morning- wish me luck.

I'm thinking of just explaining my goals to her and then leaving myself into her hands. Since I don't really know what I want.

Good luck! Hope it turns out really nice! I like both of the colours, I feel you can go either way, but the henna is also very nice on you. :) I'd love love love to have hair like that, it's awesomely beautiful. Best of luck!

spidermom
June 13th, 2012, 07:50 AM
There are only a handful of people here that I like henna color on, and you are one of them. Very pretty! If I were you, I'd go for more of a U-hem and a bit of face-framing, but don't let them take the layering too deep or your ends will become very thin.

ssjhotau2
June 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well the haircut is disappointing for all the wrong reasons LOL.

I went in and explained my goals- how I wanted to work towards a very gradual U shape, but I wanted to lose as little of the length as possible since I was growing it long. I explained that it had been 2 years since I got a real haircut and that a lot of damage needed to be trimmed. Then I said that I wanted something done with the layers around my face something-anything that would look good because I didn't know so I was going to leave it up to her.

I look no different.
She took maybe 2 inches off the very longest point of my V and trimmed a bit to even things up, then she just took the layers around my face and made them less choppy to blend more naturally into the rest of my hair.
I can barely tell a difference in my length. She was amazing and she did everything right, however I was expecting more of my typical hairdresser experiences. Love it or hate it I was looking forwards to emerging with a completely new hair style- not a trim lol.

We chatted a lot about hair and she was very curious about what shampoo/conditioner I used because she admired my hair and said that most of her fine haired clients say that they have a hard time finding products that don't weigh down their hair. I told her that I was on my 3rd day between washings and about my exploration into products.
While she was cutting my hair she announced "I can already tell that your hair hates what I used on it." Because my hair was frizzing up really bad.
She was interested in what kind of henna I used and mentioned that she would be happy to apply it for me if I brought in a batch next time I needed to touch up my roots. She wanted to know about coconut oil and was just overall curious about my hair care routine.

She can also cut hair beautifully because my friend came with me and her hair cut was closer to what I was expecting for myself lol.

cmg
June 17th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I think you can count yourself lucky. She listened to you and didnt overdo anything by the sounds of it.

I was just figuring out what I would do to that hair on your photo, and your hairdresser seemes to have done just that. Just cut of a little of the middle and then evening things out. I think this is the way to go for now. You just need to wait for the rest of the hair to catch up :) Take care.

/ CMG

LadyTheta
June 17th, 2012, 02:52 PM
As I always used to say, "A haircut that doesn't look like I just got a hair cut, is a good one!"

MintChocChip
June 17th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah it sounds like you got a good hairdresser to me! Wish mine was like that!

letibear
June 17th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Natural is nice, and I think the henna looks great on you too. I can't really comment on how you should get layers for your face shape though, I am not very knowledgeable on that.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize you got the hair cut already. I am glad your hairdresser didn't go overboard. If you are bored with having hair all one length, maybe you could wear some cute updos in the meantime :)

KylieAnne
June 17th, 2012, 11:24 PM
you are so pretty, such a great face shape!

personally, I think these bangs that are like softer blunt bangs (angled/rounded to blend into the rest of your hair) would compliment you so well:
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/cm/cosmopolitan/images/zj/cos-nicole-richie-bangs-1011-de.jpg

if you want some body, get just a little layering. have the bangs blended to the rest of your hair.

as for the color, both look good but I love the red.

akilina
June 17th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Well the haircut is disappointing for all the wrong reasons LOL.

I went in and explained my goals- how I wanted to work towards a very gradual U shape, but I wanted to lose as little of the length as possible since I was growing it long. I explained that it had been 2 years since I got a real haircut and that a lot of damage needed to be trimmed. Then I said that I wanted something done with the layers around my face something-anything that would look good because I didn't know so I was going to leave it up to her.

I look no different.
She took maybe 2 inches off the very longest point of my V and trimmed a bit to even things up, then she just took the layers around my face and made them less choppy to blend more naturally into the rest of my hair.
I can barely tell a difference in my length. She was amazing and she did everything right, however I was expecting more of my typical hairdresser experiences. Love it or hate it I was looking forwards to emerging with a completely new hair style- not a trim lol.

We chatted a lot about hair and she was very curious about what shampoo/conditioner I used because she admired my hair and said that most of her fine haired clients say that they have a hard time finding products that don't weigh down their hair. I told her that I was on my 3rd day between washings and about my exploration into products.
While she was cutting my hair she announced "I can already tell that your hair hates what I used on it." Because my hair was frizzing up really bad.
She was interested in what kind of henna I used and mentioned that she would be happy to apply it for me if I brought in a batch next time I needed to touch up my roots. She wanted to know about coconut oil and was just overall curious about my hair care routine.

She can also cut hair beautifully because my friend came with me and her hair cut was closer to what I was expecting for myself lol.
Awesome! I am so happy it went well. I guess it is a bummer though that you wanted a little more of a change and don't feel like you got it. That is really cool to me that another hairdresser was so open minded to henna and the hair care routine that many on here follow.

Nellon
June 18th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Pictures plz! It sounds awesome, although I'm sorry it wasn't exactly what you expected :) How nice with a hairdresser that has that kind of attitude, wish to find a hairdresser like that too :)

ssjhotau2
June 23rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure if it is awesome. I actually don't know if I like it that much- it just looks the same to me :/

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG8488.jpg

Looking at this picture- to get the hemline I want it looks like I might have to cut back to BSL,. but I think I'll wait another month or two before getting my next hair cut.

cmg
June 23rd, 2012, 05:26 PM
I think it looks a lot better. The hemline is much more even and the ends appear much healthier.

/ CMG

ssjhotau2
June 24th, 2012, 01:27 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NgGkLydZsM0/Sw89E6--BZI/AAAAAAAAADk/ndNTJ1fGV6Q/s1600/rednicoleprac.jpg

I'm thinking I want Nicole Kidman's hair from Practical Magic- I just don't know if I can pull off the bangs ::?:

Rufflebutt
June 24th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I think getting some side-swept bangs would look lovely on you. They would give you a whole new look without going to drastic extremes. :)