PDA

View Full Version : Any hairdressers about..?

joflakes
May 16th, 2012, 12:14 PM
...if you are one, can I pick your brains?! :D

I'm looking to start a hairdressing course in September and just wanted to know what the job and training is like.

I know it'll be a long route, but I have a full-time job and can work around it with the course.

I'm really excited; I've always had a passion for hair and have only just had the courage to stand up and go for it!

Thanks in advance
Jo

P.S Mods, if this is in the wrong place, please move it!

Grillz
May 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hey, Jo! I've decided that if I don't get the job I'm hoping for this fall, then I'll be starting cosmetology school in September too! It's something I've always loved and wished I could do so why not start while I've got the free time! I'll be watching this thread :)

joflakes
May 16th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Hey, Jo! I've decided that if I don't get the job I'm hoping for this fall, then I'll be starting cosmetology school in September too! It's something I've always loved and wished I could do so why not start while I've got the free time! I'll be watching this thread :)

I quite agree with you.
I'll be jugging my distance learning degree with my job (which I can study my degree at) with my free time to do the course. =)

Honeyfall
May 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Yay! Future LHC-friendly cosmetologists! This is always a good thing. :D

joflakes
May 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Yay! Future LHC-friendly cosmetologists! This is always a good thing. :D

It sure is. =)

LaurelSpring
May 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM
There is class time when you study the books and information about health, chemicals and safety etc.

Then there is time to learn how to do the rest. You will get a head with long hair and you get to cut style and play with that for awhile.

Then you move to working on volunteers, family, friends and anyone else that will let you. There are a certain amount of hours that you have to spend on various things (at least in my state). For instance you may have to do a certain amount of perms or colors etc. Most of your time is spent in getting in your practice hours and working on people.

Once you have your hours in you then go to state boards and take the written and practical test. I had to do a cut and set and demonstrate how to (pretend) wrap a perm and apply color.

It was alot of fun actually, but beware!!!.... Cosmetology school can be a hazard to your long hair! I did all sorts of things to my hair then to experiment. It was a wonder I had any left after all of that! :poot:

joflakes
May 16th, 2012, 03:10 PM
There is class time when you study the books and information about health, chemicals and safety etc.

Then there is time to learn how to do the rest. You will get a head with long hair and you get to cut style and play with that for awhile.

Then you move to working on volunteers, family, friends and anyone else that will let you. There are a certain amount of hours that you have to spend on various things (at least in my state). For instance you may have to do a certain amount of perms or colors etc. Most of your time is spent in getting in your practice hours and working on people.

Once you have your hours in you then go to state boards and take the written and practical test. I had to do a cut and set and demonstrate how to (pretend) wrap a perm and apply color.

It was alot of fun actually, but beware!!!.... Cosmetology school can be a hazard to your long hair! I did all sorts of things to my hair then to experiment. It was a wonder I had any left after all of that! :poot:

Thank you!
I'm in the UK so not sure how this differs but it gives an insight.
I don't have long hair so that won't be an issue ;) I have chin length at the moment and I am growing it out but I have done all colours under the sun and 'funky' hair cuts so not really interested. I have a sister who is up for it though =)