PDA

View Full Version : Perplexed..desire or ????

tweetylonghair
May 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Why is it when we are waiting for our hair to grow, we want to cut it.....I find about every 3 months I get the urge to cut. I have always admired the all one length about shoulder...I have wanted manyyyyyy times to cut my hair like this..the only time my hair has been short is all layers not one length...So i'm asking everyones opinion.I am almost at my goal and love playing with and braiding but this desire has never gone away...what to do??? P.S Hubby of course loves my hair has it gets longer and I dont deny so do I.. Up to this point I have always used the 2 week rule and my hubby and part of me always wins.....But I know this forum will give me honest thoughts and please give me more either way to think of...........I feel this is long But I hope I have conveyed my inner delima? Thanks LHC sorry this was long. perplexed

Madora
May 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
One length shoulder length hair can look beautiful too. The only thing is, you're severely limited in what you can do with it at that length.

If you enjoy experimenting with your current locks, then I'd advise you to channel your need to cut by trying to learn new styles with your current length.

However, if you feel that you'd be happier with shorter hair, then go for it. It will always grow again.

spidermom
May 16th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I don't know about you, but I think I get urges to cut because I want a change. I've been growing it for so long (14 years), and it takes such a long time to reach new lengths. I feel like my hair always looks the same - pulled back in some way. I know a variety of buns, but to me a bun is a bun is a bun, and I don't care all that much for new styling tools (forks, sticks, etc). I have a few pretty and functional pieces, but once my hair is up and secured, I forget about it. I know I used a stick today, but I can't tell you which one right off the top of my head.

Also sometimes I get tired of all the hassle - the combing, the washing, the drying - and want something super-quick and easy.

MissAlida
May 16th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I think we all have these urges sometimes. For me they last 3-4 days. I always want to cut to a pixie. But after the urge passes, I'm always glad I didn't cut. It is a rule that we always want what we cannot have. I suggest you do a trim, or s&d. It will make you feel like you've done something, and keep your toughts off the cutting.:) Also, experimenting with a new product or updo helps for me.

EmmaDStrange
May 16th, 2012, 11:49 AM
The only time I ever get the urge to cut is when I know my ends are damaged, but I hate to lose length, thats always my inner dilemma. But I know the hairstyle you want can be gorgeous too! It's all personal preference, but I love my hair long so much I dont know if I'll ever cut it (apart from trims) ever again! Haha! But my hair atm is the shortest its been in years and I cant WAIT for it to grow. I find my hair is easier to care for the longer it gets because it dries straight and smooth, when its short I HAVE to kill with styling tools because it flicks and curls and all sorts in the most annoying ways!

door72067
May 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM
when I see Claire Danes' pictures from My So-Called Life I want a sleek, Very Red bob

but then I think "been there/done that have the t-shirt"

it's old to me now...and I am so over coloring my hair

it takes minutes to cut, but years to grow

maybe make a list of pros/cons about why you grew your hair in the first place and why you think you'd like to cut it?

heidi w.
May 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
One length shoulder length hair can look beautiful too. The only thing is, you're severely limited in what you can do with it at that length.

If you enjoy experimenting with your current locks, then I'd advise you to channel your need to cut by trying to learn new styles with your current length.

However, if you feel that you'd be happier with shorter hair, then go for it. It will always grow again.

What she said. Think about what matters to you more: ability to have long hair that you can do more variety with, or shorter, all one length hair that you can do less with? When you get the urge, think of the priority system you have. Cutting never gets you to long hair. heidi w.

Vanille_
May 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe change the color or style it differently? Like spidermom said, you probably really just want a change. Rearrange the furniture in your house. Redecorate. Buy some new clothes. Get your nails done - see if some of these other changes help alleviate your dilemma on whether or not to cut your hair.

jacqueline101
May 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I think its because we are bored. We are humans we desire change and sometimes we give in to our urges.

Laur
May 16th, 2012, 01:30 PM
The other big reason I get the urge to cut (which I'm wishing I hadn't given in to last year) is because I want control of something when my life feels like its gotten out of hand. I've had some big stresses and changes in the last year, and when things have just seemed beyond me, that's when I want to cut or color my hair. If I can't control all thus other crap, at least I can control my hair! Learning a new style or doing something else like doing my nails sometimes helps, but usually I just have to tell myself that this too shall pass.

Slug Yoga
May 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Honestly, if you've consistently wanted to try this for so long, I'd probably do it if I were you. If you kept deferring the desire and, a couple years down the road you *still* want shoulder-length hair, and get it cut, that's basically time you've invested in growing long(er)hair that's "gone to waste," so to speak. Whereas if you cut it in the near future and don't like it, you can start growing again, and be back to your current long-haired goal sooner.

And you won't have this constant "what if" in your head. You'll know what it's like to have shoulder-length hair and know the pros and cons versus long hair, so you can decide which you want, as opposed to never knowing. It could be great, it could be something you regret. But if you regret it, it will grow back.

HintOfMint
May 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I remind myself that whenever I want a pixie, it comes from irrational overconfidence in the strength of my beauty and bone structure. When I settle down, I realize I'm no Audrey Hepburn/Natalie Portman and pixies are not for me.
Long hair is a crutch, and I'm fine with that :)

moxamoll
May 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
If you like playing with your hair, maybe try to learn some of the faux-bob hairstyles, so you can feel and look like you have a one length style without actually losing the length? That might help you figure out if you really want to cut it.

It might help to think about your original motivations for growing it as well. How long did you think wanted it? Did you want it that way because you thought it would feel cool swishing against you or because you saw someone else with long hair and thought it was pretty? Looking at your original thoughts might help you figure out just how committed you are to growing it (or not!)

cuties
May 16th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I get a urge to cut because I am bored of my hair. Also I'm trying to grow out layers and now that they are growing, I want that layered look again. This time it has been 4 months since my last haircut and that is the longest I have ever gone for last 7 years. Once my hair gets some thickness back, I think I will get layers again. stupid me.

terylenerose
May 16th, 2012, 06:39 PM
If you have had this desire for a long time, then maybe you should cut it just to see how you feel. (I probably shouldn't be telling you this, because I have also done a "see how you feel" type cut and missed the length so much I couldn't enjoy it.) But if you always want to cut and never do, then it could detract from your appreciation of your hair and attachment to it.

If you like playing with your hair, maybe try to learn some of the faux-bob hairstyles, so you can feel and look like you have a one length style without actually losing the length? That might help you figure out if you really want to cut it.

It might help to think about your original motivations for growing it as well. How long did you think wanted it? Did you want it that way because you thought it would feel cool swishing against you or because you saw someone else with long hair and thought it was pretty? Looking at your original thoughts might help you figure out just how committed you are to growing it (or not!)
This, too.

ravenheather
May 16th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I'd try the faux bob look and see how you feel. Like others have said think about what you like or don't about your hair long v. the "new" look. The problem with new looks is that they don't stay new. That's how I ended up with a pixie. It just got shorter and shorter and shorter.

Sakuracha
May 16th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Wigs could be a good investment if you want something different for a short while and still keep your longer length.

Jesabel
May 16th, 2012, 09:36 PM
When I get bored with my hair I change my fringe/bangs. I was growing them longer but then I decided to cut them into a shorter side fringe. I love it, but if I didn't, they always grow out quickly and can be braided or pinned back :)

tweetylonghair
May 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Thank you all sooooo much for your valued input. I would like to say even though the desire is there to cut and all, its going to stay long and growing.. I did look at some wigs though last night and I need to find some updo's for sure. I do like it better long and swishing..I did put it up all day yesterday and funny how many ppl around me mostly kids said no way dont cut it! well here is to learning updo's. Can anyone explain or put me the direction for a french twist and crown braid..please? those 2 I would like to learn.

door72067
May 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM
check out the Hairstyle of the Month board here

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

lots of ideas, examples and links to tutorials!

I've already learned 3 new 'dos this week :)

Micayla47
May 17th, 2012, 08:38 AM
tweetylonghair, you've gotten all good advice but i'd like to add my 2 cents. a shoulder length bob is pretty and flattering on almost everyone, BUT it's very ordinary and common. long hair, on the other hand, is extraordinary and unique. imho :)