PDA

View Full Version : To those who are growing from a Pixie

Sisyphus
May 16th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I might be going out on a limb here, but I was wondering if there are any others out there who are currently growing out from a pixie? It has been a real struggle for me to keep from caving and cutting my hair again - especially once it starts to reach the awkward mullet stage. I thought it might help me and others like me out there to have others who are going through the same thing. Or even just people who have grown out pixies before, who might have some wisdom to share. I'd really appreciate hearing from others on their experiences with this.

camara
May 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Me, me! :waving:

I am strictly avoiding the mullet stage by getting trims every couple weeks. It makes my growth progress slower, but I have been sporting a mullet as a kid, and...no, I don't think I'll have a mullet ever again. :lol:

Charybdis
May 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I've grown out a pixie a couple of times, and I agree with camara about getting regular trims. If you can, find a hairdresser you like and trust, and get your hair trimmed every time you get about an inch or an inch and a half of growth. For me the easiest way to do it is to grow the top layers, keeping the neckline short, until you finally get to the short bob stage. Once you've gotten to a short bob shape, you can start going a lot longer between trims. It takes longer to gain length this way, but you don't go through that horrible post-pixie mullet phase.

Zesty
May 16th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I grew out from a pixie. :) Like others, I frankly just recommend getting trims/cuts in between. I went that route and got to experience lots of different styles and lengths before finally getting into "real" longhair territory, at which point I could trim my own hair and therefore worry less about losing length. Trims make the growing journey more fun! Plus, if you're after an even hemline, like most people are, you're going to have to cut it later anyway.

battle_angel
May 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hi Sisyphus! I'm with you on this journey; having hair that is between lengths and lacking style can be a total pain and hard to live with! On my bad days, I can't stand looking at mine and have to remind me to have patience and stop obsessing over it, because it's going to pay out in the end!

But, in spite of all this, I must admit that I discovered a good side to growing out hair! For me at least... You see, I've cut my hair short when I turned 13, kept it into a cut like this: http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2007/galleries/070607_portman_400X400.jpg (didn't require more than blow-drying and a little bit of gel to maintain) for 15 years and when I finally decided to grow my hair long I discovered that I didn't know much about hair. And I didn't pay any attention to "hair" in general, never noticed other people's hair, always felt like it was something that just was there.

So, for me it was also an opportunity to learn about hair, to buy hair tools and accessories, flowers, scarves and cute bandannas. Also, if you are curious and a little bit adventurous you can find hair styling methods for pretty much every length - youtube is an invaluable resource!
Plus, playing with my hair helped me discover what type of hair styles enhance my beauty and which ones don't work for my face shape and why.

I have contemplated at some point wearing clip-in extensions but later reconsidered, as I don't want to miss out on what hair needs at different lengths and also I must say that looking through older pictures I sometimes miss the shorter styles that I've outgrown! My last visit to the hairdresser was almost 2 years ago, I'm now at collarbone length and still can hardly wait for my hair to reach BSL, but I wouldn't want to miss out on the journey! ^_^

Best of luck with your hair
- Laetitia

Pixie0763
May 16th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm growing out from a pixie, but don't do trims. My hair is very course & thick, and grows wide before it grows long. My avatar was taken two months ago. It looks more like a long shag than a mullet.

dulce
May 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I grew out a pixie 3 plus years ago,I found going with layers and keeping layers helped disguise the uneven lengths during the grow out.

Mairéad
May 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Clips and headbands helped me disguise the funny bits. You get as cute of ones as you like. I didn't frequently trim, only when the mullet-y bits were getting too obvious to hide.

sarahbrownie
May 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
A couple a years ago, this was my hair.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/shorthair.jpg

It's possible, but god did I curse a lot growing it out. One of my tricks was when it was growing out was I took rubber bands like these (http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Classics-Elastic-Polybands-0-079/dp/B005HT3PBA/ref=sr_1_9?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1337190077&sr=1-9) and tied the bottom of my hair into tiny pigtails. I was much younger, but I imagine with the right attitude you could get away with it. It helped get over that awkward mullet stage without cutting.

I also wore a lot of berets and bandanas. I actually got away with at school since they knew I was growing out my hair and was really embarrassed by it state sometimes. Then, because it was really short, I went on a manic panic binge. My mom was really sure not to take pictures (since I don't have any of my blue/red/green hair apparently!) I went through a lot of damage that I eventually had to cut off when I got to BSL.

It got cute once it got around 4-5 inches long. Everyone loved it. I got more comfortable, though I was DYING to have shoulder length hair again. It grows, it just takes time and a lot of patience. I wish I knew about all the growing out tricks back then, would have saved a lot of tears being shed. Eventually, the awkward growing out stage passes. Once it gets one length it's like, BAM, hair starts getting long. But once I realized that it will happen and it will be long, it was easy to deal with. It's just about time (and making sure you don't give up and cut your hair, lol).

tinfoilsally
May 16th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I grew out a pixie, and I don't agree that trims are the best way. I actually had problems with compulsively trimming my hair every time I didn't like the way it looked, and the only way I eventually got out of that was staying the course and experimenting with clips and pins, etc. My go-to hair fix was to sweep the sides up into two little ponytails which then flipped inside out... I know there's a name for those things, but I've forgotten, haha :(
Anyway point is, I'd reccommend just putting up with it for a while, the payoff will come quicker!

joflakes
May 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I might be going out on a limb here, but I was wondering if there are any others out there who are currently growing out from a pixie? It has been a real struggle for me to keep from caving and cutting my hair again - especially once it starts to reach the awkward mullet stage. I thought it might help me and others like me out there to have others who are going through the same thing. Or even just people who have grown out pixies before, who might have some wisdom to share. I'd really appreciate hearing from others on their experiences with this.

I've been growing out from a pixie since last May. It's a total nightmare! I feel your pain. I have found the only way to keep sane is to trim the back mullet bit up. I did it once every 4 months...but my hair doesn't grow very fast!

Tips - stick with it. Don't get hair extensions - I had them and it was an expensive mistake! Look after your hair and get into good habits now before it gets much longer. Try not to obsess about it, even though it is hard! Bobby pins will be your friend.

Good luck!

oktobergoud
May 16th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I'm growing out a pixie! It's currently chin length and it took about a year to get to a decent length/shape. You can always join us at the SuperShorties thread if you feel discouraged! :) (here's a link http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&page=966 ;))

But yeah, it's a pain to grow out a pixie.. but it is impossible. It just takes a LOT of patience. And awkward stages :P

Oh and if you're curious, here's a link to the monthly pictures I took in a year! http://myboringhair.tumblr.com/tagged/monthly-picture :)

BlazingHeart
May 16th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I've grown out a pixie once, and ear-length cuts several times. For me, it really was practically painless. My hair is very thick and grows very fast. I never trimmed it. I just brushed it so it flipped out while it was drying after a wash, and I had a cute shag-type cut rather than a mullet-y look.

~Blaze

Jing
May 16th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I'm growing from a pixie, but I'm halfway to APL already. Hang in there, the awkward passes! I dodged the mullet by trimming the hair that reached my neck as it got there. I got away with it not being very even since my hair has so much wave when it's short, it's impossible to tell if it's even or not.

Louise148
May 17th, 2012, 02:30 AM
I'm growing out a pixie at the moment. My layers are currently about 3" although the neckline is a little shorter as I am trying to avoid the mullet.

I have very fine hair and because I'm trying to not blowdry it very often so it grows as healthy as possible I am having trouble with it being flat to my head. I am hoping this stage will pass and it will start to feel fuller as the layers get longer.

Anyboy have any experience with growing out very fine hair? Does this stage pass? I had longer hair when I was a bit younger and don't remember it feeling this fine I am hoping it hasn't thinned too much with age. Thankfully it does plump up on the occasions I do blow dry it.

Lou x

battle_angel
May 17th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Hi Louise! My hair is fine and I've grown patiently down to collarbone. Not blow-drying makes my hair stay limp and flat, so I very, very rarely wear it down. It's mostly buns, braids and scarves for me!
When it was the same length as yours tough, I blow dried it with a BBB and styled it with mousse, hairspray and a little bit of gel every other day. I didn't notice any split ends and white dots up until very recently and I didn't get any hair cuts/trims for the last 2 years either, maybe you could blow-dry from time to time and not feel that guilty? ;)
I must mention that I haven't dyed my hair and maybe that also helped keep it healthy.

But don't listen to me, you can find many other beautiful fine-haired ladies on the forum and particularly under the fine hair thread.

Hang on in there!
-Laetitia

PixieKitten
May 17th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Meeeeeeeeee! I had a bright red pixie for a few months, and last had it cut that way on christmas eve, 2010. It's now back to it's natural colour and about 2-3 inches away from APL!

Growing it out was awful for me, as apparently my self-confidence cannot take that much of a bashing. I wore a hat every day until I could put it up in a ponytail, and if I accidentally left the house without one, I'd have a panic attack and have to run back. Thankfully that was only once! I had to wean myself off them as my hair got longer, for ages I'd go out with it up but I'd have a choice of hats in my bag, just in case I got insecure!

I only had it cut once between pixie and shoulder, and that was just to even it up, as I had it cut on a side parting, so when I had it in a centre parting, there was a 2-inch difference and it looked terrible xD The way I saw it, the more I trimmed it, the longer it would take to get to shoulder! I'm also aiming for a V hemline, so letting the layers grow out naturally seemed sensible.

Good luck with your growing!

Sisyphus
May 20th, 2012, 01:58 PM
It's great for me to be able to hear everyone's experiences. :) Right now my hair is just too short to justify "trims" at the moment, but I'll think about it for when my hair starts growing out a bit more. Right now my way of sort "dealing" with the growing experience is to wear a hat. It's too short even for bobby pins at this point. :( Mostly, my problem is just waiting out the growing period, and not trimming my hair - which is difficult as it's almost a compulsion for me. I'll be glad once I reach chin length, which is my first growth goal.

Miss Catrina
May 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM
What's wrong with cutting to handle the mullet? I've done it so many times already and I'm not done yet. The tail is gonna have to come off sooner or later, after all.

oktobergoud
May 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
What's wrong with cutting to handle the mullet? I've done it so many times already and I'm not done yet. The tail is gonna have to come off sooner or later, after all.

Nothing!! It's all I've been doing while growing out my pixie and I do not regret it a single second!! Sure, it would have been way longer now but at least I liked my hair the whole time while growing it out. It is now like an angled chin length bob that I really like and it will be sooooo much easier to grow this out!

But to each their own :)

seven77
May 20th, 2012, 06:26 PM
^ yes it's definitely a personal decision.
Some people are not into layers and would rather keep trimming until all their hair is one length.
Some people don't like one length hair and will put up with the mullet phase to have the end result of layered/shaggy hair. It's all personal preference :)
For now I'm keeping the mullet, I like layered hair.. but my mullet is just a baby right now.. if I start looking like Joe Dirt- then I'll cut it! ;)

mrs_coffee
May 20th, 2012, 06:37 PM
It's been about a year and a half for me, with lots of trims, and I'm about APL...maybe a little more. I cut the back off whenever it started to mullet until it was more of a bob and then let it go. I am still a compulsive trimmer, though. I hate dry ends so whenever I get the feeling that my ends need a trim, I trim.

Faux
May 20th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I grew out the Pob (Posh Spice inverted bob) and that was miserable! My front layers were almost shoulder length, but the back was like an inch! Sadly, I did not have the right hair type for that haircut and styling took me 45 minutes! Everyone kept going on about how good it looked, but it was so miserable to style (and I like long hair a little bit more too) that I grew it out almost right away. I'm so happy to be at BSL right now and my hair takes like 15-20 minutes to iron and I'm good for a few days.

Louise148
May 21st, 2012, 05:23 AM
Yep...I'm definitely one for trimming the back. i've grown long then cut short and grown back again a few times also and have always done it the no mullet way. But each to their own and you just do what suits.

I just wish my hair grew faster and a bit thicker. I want long hair and the wait is driving me nuts. I think I am becoming a little too obsessed and measuring far too often. :rolleyes:

Lou x

elisam
September 11th, 2020, 01:49 AM
Here I am! I'm growing out from a very short pixie, my longest hair on the front are 12cm...
Now I manage to up them using a lot of pins, but it's really hard! I can't wait to cut them in a bob that I can braid!

strawberryfine
June 3rd, 2021, 05:29 PM
Hi, mine is not exactly a pixie growing out but this thread seems the closest to my hair "situation ". Currently I have a shot jaw length bob with growing out undercut sides that are about an inch and a half long. I'm also growing out my bangs. They are just past eyebrow length. They were really short. Sides and bangs are about an inch and a half inches away from tucking behind my ear on one side, the side my hair is parted on. I'm trying to get to an-all-one-length, even hemline. Slow growing! I'm trying to wait until the left side will all go behind the ear before cutting length in the back. Otherwise I'm thinking of cutting to neckline length at least in the back. Is anyone here in this same predicament? Or perhaps you've already gone through this stage. Do you have any advice ( or sympathy) for me? Sign me,"Very Frustrated"! TIA

meepster
June 3rd, 2021, 06:23 PM
I grew out a pixie with no trims. For me, I just wanted to get to the ponytail stage as quickly as I could, and any trims would slow that down. Once I could finally tie my hair up in a ponytail, I celebrated profusely and never looked back.

My advice would be to just accept that you’ll look awful during the awkward stage and do all you can to shorten that stage by not getting trims.

aloewurly
June 3rd, 2021, 10:52 PM
Hello there! I grew my hair out from a full shave. Like dolphin level of hairless. The worst part was patience, I think. I didn't really get much of a mullet stage (perks of wurly hair) but until my hair got to my jawline it was an absolute nightmare. I looked like an entire herd of cows took turns one by one to lick on my head!
But seeing how now I have shoulder length hair (collarbone if i stretch the wurls out) my only tip would be: it wont last forever. Bandanas were my best friend and the little hairs flipping/sticking out looked super cute. Hang in there my unintentional mullet warriors!

Bat
June 4th, 2021, 05:50 AM
Hi, mine is not exactly a pixie growing out but this thread seems the closest to my hair "situation ". Currently I have a shot jaw length bob with growing out undercut sides that are about an inch and a half long. I'm also growing out my bangs. They are just past eyebrow length. They were really short. Sides and bangs are about an inch and a half inches away from tucking behind my ear on one side, the side my hair is parted on. I'm trying to get to an-all-one-length, even hemline. Slow growing! I'm trying to wait until the left side will all go behind the ear before cutting length in the back. Otherwise I'm thinking of cutting to neckline length at least in the back. Is anyone here in this same predicament? Or perhaps you've already gone through this stage. Do you have any advice ( or sympathy) for me? Sign me,"Very Frustrated"! TIA

We have a growing out layers thread somewhere too it might be helpful too

Some people maintain
Others let it do it’s thing until their longest layer reaches a certain milestone (usually chin/shoulder) then cut back.

It’s all about what’s most important to you

CuteCrow
June 4th, 2021, 08:43 AM
Here's the growing out layers thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351

I've seen a lot of people here who has grown from bald/shaved. It makes me wonder if it's something about extreme "lengths" that we like, either really short or really long, nothing in between. Also, I think those who are currently growing from pixie/shaved would appreciate the thread started by Bat Buzz to Chin Length (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=153692)

Bat
June 4th, 2021, 08:52 PM
Here's the growing out layers thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47351

I've seen a lot of people here who has grown from bald/shaved. It makes me wonder if it's something about extreme "lengths" that we like, either really short or really long, nothing in between. Also, I think those who are currently growing from pixie/shaved would appreciate the thread started by Bat Buzz to Chin Length (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=153692)

I’d say it’s the extremes of both spectrums seems to be my case, super short or super long anything in between is “Boring” or “Normal”

UP Lisa
June 5th, 2021, 10:56 AM
I grew mine out from a Pixie. I guess I just wanted long hair badly enough that I was willing to put up with whatever it took to get there. In my case it took a lot of time and patience. I have to be extremely gentle with my hair since it tangles and breaks so easily. I did regular trims along the way since I like a blunt look.