PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Bobby Pins?

carolinaberry
May 16th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Hi...so I just read that bobby pins are damaging to hair. I'm growing out razored layers, which fall between my ears and shoulders. Most of my hair now will go up in a butterfly/jaw clip, but I have a couple of sections on each side that are too short and end up falling out. I have been using bobby pins to keep these back...so what are my alternatives? I want to wear my hair up daily so I can leave it alone and let it grow out. Thanks!

Neneka
May 16th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I have similar layers and I too use bobby pins to hold them when I wear my hair up. I just try to use them as carefully as possible and I haven't noticed any damage yet. I have used different headbands too and different pins/clips.

Tota
May 16th, 2012, 04:57 AM
I use these (http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2009/05/15/thing-i-like-small-hair-clips/) in the smallest form I could find in the drugstore. I found beige ones so they're almost invisible in my hair.

They do break often but better them than my hair ;)

CareBear
May 16th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendy-hair-clips-1-3-4-inch-silvertone-metal-package-12-/360439752165

afu
May 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I use those to Tota, not for the same reason as you want them though

wishywashy
May 16th, 2012, 06:52 AM
when I was growing my pixie I think I may have only used 2 - 4 bobby pins at a time. In an x shape.

When it was just long enough to put into piggy tails, I only used a thicker head band to keep the front hairs off of my face and two hair binders for the pig tails....that was all that I used for 8-9 months while my hair was getting longer.

Just be careful when putting them in and taking them out...or you could try using those metal snap clips (dont know what they are officially called...) but they might be easier to remove without pulling on any hairs.

EDIT- Yes! those "bendy hair clips". That's what I'm talking about :)

Madora
May 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM
If at all possible, avoid the bobby pin "x". It puts too much pressure on one point.

Better to use a barrette to do the holding.

lapushka
May 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I'd use the little claw clips, like Tota suggested!

swearnsue
May 16th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I think if you are careful when pulling the bobby pins out, you are OK. Also be sure to use a regular brand of bobby pins and not the cheapy ones that are painted and sprinked with glitter (yes I bought some). Once I got those pretty ones home I noticed that the sides are not polished smooth. Like Madora said, don't put in a X. It would be better to put two side by side parallel and just redo them from time to time since nothing holds as well as the X!

catamonica
May 16th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I use bobby pins. They have not hurt my hair. They hold good.

xoerincolleen
May 16th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I think as long as you're careful with bobby pins you'll be okay. Don't yank them out, or use them if they have a sharp edge. My hair is almost hip length and I've been using bobby pins with no trouble or damage yet! :)

carolinaberry
May 16th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I haven't noticed any damage from them and I'm careful, but these razored layers are so delicate, since they are the same hair with bleach damage I'm growing out. I used to do the bobby pin x for my bangs and it held awesome...I hate that that's a no-no.

julya
May 17th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I found gel to be very helpful when I was growing out my pixie, but I did use bobby pins too.

Bagginslover
May 17th, 2012, 02:50 AM
I use the snappy, bendy metal clips too, bobby pins just won't hold my sideburn hair no matter how I put them in! You can get them in lots of colours, from naturals to blend with your hair, to fun, bright colours. They come in lots of sizes too-I love the tiny ones that ate less than ain inch long.
I do use bobby pins in other areas of my hair-I currently have 4 holding my sock bun more securely, I don't find them at all damaging, just pesky to keep in sometimes!

Lize
May 17th, 2012, 04:09 AM
I use bobby pins occasionally and I have never noticed any damage.

marykatz
May 17th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I saw a YouTube video where she purchased "Good Hair Days Magic Grip Hair Pins" from Sally's.
She mentions she got the idea for buying them from this forum. I have been thinking of trying them myself as an alternative to bobby pins.

In2wishin
May 17th, 2012, 07:39 AM
When I use bobby pins I use the flat rather than crinkled ones and make sure I throw away any that have lost the plastic tips.

I have become a total convert to spin pins and amish pins to hold my buns.

wishywashy
May 17th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I agree that using to many bobby pins for too long will most likely cause some damage...

but luckily the pixie phase doesn't last very long and before you know it you can use other tools to keep your hair up. :eyebrows:

Anje
May 17th, 2012, 07:59 AM
For your situation, I'd say small snappy barrettes or an elastic headband can be good alternatives. But if you're gentle with bobby pins and make sure they're not sharp, they're not likely to kill your hair.

When it's longer and you're trying to bun it, bobby pins are what a lot of people use and they're really not good tools for it. Stiff U-shaped pins work much better, but they're used with a different motion, which confuses people who don't realize that they're not meant to be used as wide bobby pins.

Iolanthe13
May 17th, 2012, 08:09 AM
If that hair is already razored and bleach-damaged, you'll probably have to keep trimming it anyway as it grows out. Bobby pins will be the least of your problems, if you don't mind my saying so - especially if you're gentle. My mum has fine, fragile hip-length hair, and she rarely even uses conditioner. Nevertheless, the two flat bobby pins she uses in her bun every day are clearly not doing any damage.

Altariel
May 17th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Stiff U-shaped pins work much better, but they're used with a different motion, which confuses people who don't realize that they're not meant to be used as wide bobby pins.

I have them and I don't know how to use them (actually i bought them by mistake) so the are lying somewhere in my room...

moxamoll
May 17th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I saw a YouTube video where she purchased "Good Hair Days Magic Grip Hair Pins" from Sally's.
She mentions she got the idea for buying them from this forum. I have been thinking of trying them myself as an alternative to bobby pins.
I love those pins, but they aren't meant to just hold a section of hair against your head like the OP is looking for. They are a version for holding buns, etc. similar to the Amish pins.

In2wishin
May 17th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I have them and I don't know how to use them (actually i bought them by mistake) so the are lying somewhere in my room...

I hope this makes sense :) :

place one into the very edge of the bun with the points against your scalp like you are going to push it straight into your head
Tip it so it is parallel to your head with the points towards the center of the bun
Push in, tipping the pointed end slightly away from the scalp

The idea is to catch both bun hair and scalp hair at the closed end of the "U" but anchoring the points in the bun

Altariel
May 17th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Oh! Now i understand!
It makes sense!
thank you! :)

silverpiper
May 17th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I use little jaw clips. Bobby pins won't stay in my hair, crossed or un crossed. lol

Madora
May 17th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I hope this makes sense :) :
place one into the very edge of the bun with the points against your scalp like you are going to push it straight into your head
Tip it so it is parallel to your head with the points towards the center of the bun
Push in, tipping the pointed end slightly away from the scalp
The idea is to catch both bun hair and scalp hair at the closed end of the "U" but anchoring the points in the bun

You might find the hairpin holds better if you put one "leg" down through the edge of whatever you're trying to pin and have the other "leg" just outside the bun/braid. Then catch a bit of scalp hair and then pivot the pin back into the bun, but WEAVE it back in with an up and down motion.

I've found that just sticking it into the bun doesn't keep the hairpin from popping out after a while. The "weaving" motion makes it more secure.

I use 3 inch crimped pins from Sally's Beauty Supply. Have used Good Days plastic pins too but they aren't as flexible as the metal hairpins.

In2wishin
May 17th, 2012, 04:02 PM
You might find the hairpin holds better if you put one "leg" down through the edge of whatever you're trying to pin and have the other "leg" just outside the bun/braid. Then catch a bit of scalp hair and then pivot the pin back into the bun, but WEAVE it back in with an up and down motion.

I've found that just sticking it into the bun doesn't keep the hairpin from popping out after a while. The "weaving" motion makes it more secure.

I use 3 inch crimped pins from Sally's Beauty Supply. Have used Good Days plastic pins too but they aren't as flexible as the metal hairpins.

I do the weaving but not the straddling. I use 2-1/2" straight amish pins and one will hold a basic cinnabun unless I expect to be active, then I will use two.

BlazingHeart
May 17th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I much prefer snap clips like these http://www.amazon.com/48pc-Small-Silver-Clips-L99-30mm/dp/B005FDGDO4 to bobby pins. I've got mega thick hair, and my forelock is one of the thickest parts of my hair, so I need about 4 bobby pins to even attempt to secure it. One of the mega-big snap clips will do it on its own, and be more secure. The huge ones are a little hard to find (the standard size will work for most people!), but I love them for pulling my front pieces back. I wear a fairly deep side part, so I use a mega one on the bigger side and a normal sized one (in the same color, natch) on the small side.

~Blaze

Lady Neeva
May 17th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I've heard of Amish pins that work (they're stainless steel), as well as bending double pointed needles into u pins.

SurferB
May 17th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Clips? I use those and bobby pins!

heidi w.
May 17th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Bobby pins with tips that are peeled of that little plastic bubble, or the plastic tip is peeling or lifted. Now that may cause some damage, but if one's bobby pins are in good health, then it's essentially okay to use them. I have had some bobby pins that pinned too tightly, such as some I purchased from private hair dressers. Man, those were hard to get out of my hair. I also no longer use bobby pins. If I use any pins, I use long bobby pins or what are technically terms hair roller pins.

Like hair sticks, hair anything, just don't clip in the exact same place every single day.

heidi w.

jacqueline101
April 21st, 2013, 08:05 PM
I use the claw clips too.

catamonica
April 22nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
I use bobby pins. They hold my bun really good. No damage. The wide open bobby pins are good to. The real large bobby pins
really hold.

Kaelee
April 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I use small (they're about 1" long) bobby pins. I'm very careful to spread the pin open before I pull it out.