PDA

View Full Version : How long must I wait after a psoriasis outbreak before I can dye my hair.

Venefica
May 15th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I have psoriasis which come and go, I do not loose any hair but scalp just go itchy with a few scales here and there, I have had it on and off since I was a child. Now I am having a outbreak, however my hair is in desperate need to be dyed again as my black is starting to become pretty blond near the scalp. What I am wondering is how long must I wait after the outbreak ends until it is safe to dye my hair again?

torrilin
May 16th, 2012, 08:11 AM
You're going to have to talk to your dermatologist. For my partner, the answer would be never, but his psoriasis is quite severe and he has about 15-20% body coverage even with treatment in the winter. It sounds like your health situation is quite different, so your answer might not be as strict... so it's best to see a doctor.

Soltimus
May 16th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I think you should talk to your doctor about it if you're in doubt. I also have psoriasis on my scalp. The intensity of it varies, but there's always a little there. I've dyed my hair regardless. There was a discussion about this on a Danish forum once and loads of people with psoriasis said that dying their hair actually somehow helped their outbreaks. That's been my experience, too. I don't know if it's in our minds or maybe the chemicals in the dyes are so evil that they just burn the outbreaks off, ha ha ha. I still dye my hair, though, but I've switched to henna for good now. No more chemicals for me. Hope you find out what works for you :)

Xandergrammy
May 16th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I agree that you should ask your doctor. The idea of putting all those chemicals on inflamed skin sounds painful.

lapushka
May 16th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I'd also talk to the doctor about it. I'm thinking that dyeing during an outbreak is a big no-no.

Shermie Girl
May 16th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I have to echo the rest of my fellow board members, here. You really need to discuss it with your doctor/dermatologist. Chances are, once this flair up settles down and clears up, you should be good to go, since you have have successfully dyed your hair in the past. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Venefica
May 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I have asked my doctor and he says I should wait two weeks after the inflammation ends. I do not have it to badly and only now and again and he said I would be okey to dye my hair once I am sure the inflammation is gone.

Zindell
May 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM
How long must I waist after a psoriasis outbreak before I can dye my hair.

Sorry, no advice here buuut... I read the thread title as "How long must I wait after a PRISON BREAKOUT before I can dye my hair."

I thought it was kinda funny :D

nyia
May 19th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I've had psoriasis for almost 55 years, and for most of that time, I had it in my scalp constantly, regardless of whether I had it anywhere else. Please note, anything I say here is NOT advice, I'm not a medical professional, and my results may not be right for everyone.

Dying my hair seems to help decrease the amount of acreage of scalp lesions. The dyes do have things in them that are actually used in a lot of prescription psoriasis medications for the scalp, so there is some reason why this is so.

However, the biggest improvement was caused by switching to Conditioner-only washing of my hair and scalp. I've been doing this for five years, and after the first year, the psoriasis in my scalp, even in winter, has reduced to just around my hairline, with virtually no persistent lesions anywhere else on my scalp.

But, I've found, after living with psoriasis since 2 years of age, that life has to go on. We do our best to make the disease less painful, less obvious, and make our skin healthier so that we can sometime in our lives approach normal skin behavior. We follow the advice of multiple doctors, anyone else we know with the problem (usually family members), and hope this is one gene we don't pass on to our kids. But, mostly, we have to live with it.

The good news is that during the Human Genome Project, it has been discovered which chromosome and gene that psoriasis lives on. Will this help us? Our children? Probably not. But it may be that our grandchildrens' children won't have to worry about this.

Littlewing13
May 20th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Depends on whats in your colour. Peroxide & bleach are actually brilliant for your scalp, some other colours may not be.

gogirlanime
May 20th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I am not a doctor and you always should ask your doctor, my two cents: henna and herbs might not irritate as much and from what I've read some people have helped to heal their psoriasis with henna (it is good for the skin) so maybe research into natural alternatives to dye for people with psoriasis. In the end, do it just for the sake of your hair, henna, indigo, and other things like that are healthy on the hair and don't damage it. Or if you are lightening, honey or lemon in the sun.

Venefica
June 1st, 2012, 03:19 AM
My scalp irritation completely vanished when I stopped eating things I am food intolerant to, namely milk. I have now dyed my hair again with no problems. I did not need to use the cure the doctor had prescribed me, it was to strong and just irritated my scalp more. It seams like the problem might be allergy and by avoiding what I should not eat the problem takes care of itself.