PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected waves!

PrairieRose
May 15th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Hey everybody:waving:
With the exception of some braid waves, my hair is quite straight!
Today though, I have these awesome waves on the front/side of my hairline!!
It got me wondering where in the world these came from:hmm:

I came up with a few ideas....
1. I got caught in the rain today, so maybe it was the rain water.
2. Maybe after my hair was soaked from the rain, it dried in a
different way then normal.
3. Maybe my more recent growth is being treated better so it's
acting different.

What are your thoughts?
Has anyone else had an experience like this?
Love to hear from all of you:D

embee
May 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
My hair is very straight and slick. But when it's humid, I've been working outdoors and sweating, or if I take a shower the hair near my temples tends to curl a bit. For me, it's the humidity. My little curls comb right out, sad to say.

spookyghost
May 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Not too long ago, I decided to try and type my hair with the help of the hair typing pictures here on LHC. I washed my hair and left it completely alone. I didnt tough it at all until it was completely dry. I was shocked. I had some wave! I had about one or two S curves on my fine hair. I know thats not alot of wave but I am 44 years old and thought my hair was completely straight! I had no idea that completely straight hair dries completely straight. So I am so pumpled over this that I got a some hair healthy gel to help hold my waves and I let my hair air dry. I am embracing the waves that I never knew I had-I love it!

PrairieRose
May 15th, 2012, 08:21 PM
embee I forgot about the humidity factor, that could be part of it.

spookyghost That's great that you are able to embrace some waves. Who knows maybe I will be able to see these waves again. :)

Iolanthe13
May 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
My hair is 2b/2c but can look more like 2a depending how it dries. If I get caught in the rain it bounces right up to 2c :) I've taken to getting caught in the rain intentionally now...

torrilin
May 16th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Spooky ghost, sounds like you're a 1b or 1c.

I'd always thought my hair was stick straight too. After a few months of less handling and more moisture from CWC, it was clear I had looooong subtle S waves. About 5-6 waves get me to waist, which is a lot less than pretty much any 2a, but it's definitely not 1b either... so I type myself as 1c. (a reasonable argument could be made for 1c/2a, but so far if I stick with CWC I don't get wavier and I don't get frizz, so for now I'm sticking. going to more curl friendly methods doesn't get me a boost either)

Pretty much all of us start off with the wrong hair type. 1a vs 1c isn't all that drastically wrong, but plenty of people come in thinking 1a when really they're more a 2c or a 3a. Hair is pretty malleable so a lot of curlies can get a really straight look just by pretending their hair is straight. The tradeoff is that that kind of treatment can be damaging... so it's usually better to work with the curls as much as you can.

SpinDance
May 16th, 2012, 06:11 AM
What a fun thing to learn about your hair! I love these unexpected surprises. Gratz on your wavies!

PrairieRose
May 16th, 2012, 06:50 AM
My hair is 2b/2c but can look more like 2a depending how it dries. If I get caught in the rain it bounces right up to 2c :) I've taken to getting caught in the rain intentionally now...
That's so funny!:D

I think I should figure out how to accurately find out my hair type.

[quote=SpinDance;2124696]What a fun thing to learn about your hair! I love these unexpected surprises. Gratz on your wavies!
Thanks!

torrilin
May 16th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Fia's hairtyping system (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5) explains how you go about typing your hair.

The visual guide to hairtyping (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227) gives you pictures so you can work things out a bit more easily.

PrairieRose
May 16th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Fia's hairtyping system (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5) explains how you go about typing your hair.

The visual guide to hairtyping (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227) gives you pictures so you can work things out a bit more easily.
Thanks, I will look into it!:D

AdaClare
May 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM
My hair is kind of like that, too! :) Whenever it's humid or rainy, the wispy parts of my hair start to curl.

Chamomile betty
May 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Have fun trying to recreat those waves. My guess is your hair got wet and then dried. If it was humid that may have something to do with it. My wavy/curly hair loves humidity.

spookyghost
May 16th, 2012, 05:13 PM

I'd always thought my hair was stick straight too. After a few months of less handling and more moisture from CWC, it was clear I had looooong subtle S waves. About 5-6 waves get me to waist, which is a lot less than pretty much any 2a, but it's definitely not 1b either... so I type myself as 1c. (a reasonable argument could be made for 1c/2a, but so far if I stick with CWC I don't get wavier and I don't get frizz, so for now I'm sticking. going to more curl friendly methods doesn't get me a boost either)

Pretty much all of us start off with the wrong hair type. 1a vs 1c isn't all that drastically wrong, but plenty of people come in thinking 1a when really they're more a 2c or a 3a. Hair is pretty malleable so a lot of curlies can get a really straight look just by pretending their hair is straight. The tradeoff is that that kind of treatment can be damaging... so it's usually better to work with the curls as much as you can.

You sound pretty smart with hair typing!:) I do think I am 1b or 1c also. Im leaning toward 1c but not positive. Now my hair is fine. So I think I might be a i? If I roll a strand of hair between my fingers, I cant feel it at all.

Prairierose-enjoy your waves!

Tisiloves
May 16th, 2012, 05:16 PM
It might also just be that you have some patches with different hair texture, when I was little may hair went 1b/2a/3b from canopy to underlayer, and my transitional hairs are still pretty curly, but the rest is now stick straight.

PrairieRose
May 16th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Have fun trying to recreat those waves. My guess is your hair got wet and then dried. If it was humid that may have something to do with it. My wavy/curly hair loves humidity.
I'm sure I won't see those waves too often! Even today they are less wavy. My hair never seems to like to do the same thing for to long. Oh well what are you gonna do?:silly: