PDA

View Full Version : Summer hair protection

constructamane
May 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Since this is my first summer with LHC, I want to know EVERYTHING about protecting my hair in the summer months. What works and what doesn't work etc. Right now my hair would still be considered short, and above shoulder length through the summer. I do not ordinarily sunbathe, but do go to the shore occasionally. I use an umbrella. I do go outdoors...bike riding, out on the veranda, walking, etc. I have a straw hat, but it is not specific for sun protection.

jacqueline101
May 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I found wearing it up at all times is good for ends and keep sweat off of your back. Straw hat is good. I cocoa nut oil and use a deep treatment conditioner to replenish moisture and for salt water swimming I'd wear a swimming hat. I'd make an oil mixture or spray on mister bottle of your essentials to take with you. Pay attention to your ends make sure they're not damaged from the sun and heat.

ispeakinriddles
May 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Yes, I am very curious about this as well! Of course there are all the normal measures--keeping your hair up and/or covered with a hat or scarf. Maybe consider investing in a good quality hat that has UV protection. I have a Tilley and worse it every day while I was on a month-long survival course and it did a pretty good job protecting my scalp and hair. I think I am going to get a UV protection hair product for the summer. Either this (http://www.amazon.com/Rene-Furterer-Protective-Summer-Oil/dp/B0016P32VM/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp) one by Rene Furterer or this (http://www.amazon.com/Aveda-Care-Protective-Hair-Veil/dp/B002UBKMS2/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp) one by Aveda.

Madora
May 15th, 2012, 03:26 PM
A WHITE cotton scarf helps! No use getting a burned scalp! That straw hat of yours might help too.

katsrevenge
May 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Silk scarves. I have a few that I use like bandannas. Nothing blocks the sun like silk does.

katsrevenge
May 15th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Silk scarves. I have a few that I use like bandannas. Nothing blocks the sun like silk does.

GlennaGirl
May 15th, 2012, 06:13 PM
A big ol' floppy hat!

constructamane
May 16th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Hummmm.....madora, any name brands on that white cotton scarf.......katsrevenge....silk scarf...how do you keep it from falling off in the wind?ispeakinriddles.....thanks for the products! better straw hat and swimming hat....OK. I hope they make better swimming hats than in the 1950s.....they probably do!

Angela_Rose
May 16th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I do a lot outdoors, especially during the summer.
Specifically I do a lot of swimming in salt water and chlorinated pools. The salt water is the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine, where we have a vacation home; the chlorinated pool is at home in Massachusetts. I keep a jar of coconut oil at each house and slather on a good coat of it before I go swimming.

For other outdoor pursuits such as gardening, boating, beachgoing, etc, I put my hair in a bun and cover with a cotton bandanna and a big floppy straw hat. Obviously the hat doesn't work out in the boat, but that's what baseball caps are for.
I got that straw hat on vacation in the Dominican Republic and along with 100spf sunscreen it kept me almost as pale as I was when I went down there.

white.chocolate
May 16th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Ooh! Good question! It'll be my first summer since joining here, as well. I was thinking of doing the usual routine. Have hair up in crowded places to avoid it getting tangled in weird places and oil as usual. I don't have to worry about the lack of moisture so much either, so I'll be wearing my hair down more often. Under the sun, I always use an umbrella anyway, so I'm fine. Interested to hear what other LHC'ers do.

GrowingGlory
May 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I just noticed that my Desert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil bottle says that it "may be used as a leave-in hair treatment while in the sun..." HTH

I've used it pre- and post-shampoo on the tips of my hair and it absorbs nicely and works well.

SilverDoe
May 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I just noticed that my Desert Essence Organic Jojoba Oil bottle says that it "may be used as a leave-in hair treatment while in the sun..." HTH

I've used it pre- and post-shampoo on the tips of my hair and it absorbs nicely and works well.

Jojoba oil has a natural SPF of about 4. :cool: I use it myself as I'm against commercial sunscreen, especially in children.