PDA

View Full Version : typing thickness of individual hairs

Mely
July 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure whether my hair is fine, medium or coarse. I've taken a picture of a few strands from my brush next to a strand of ordinary sewing thread (Coats All Purpose Duel Duty Plus red).

The things in the picture are magnified to make them larger than life.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/melykin/july282008009.jpg

When I roll a strand of my hair between my fingers, I can barely feel it--it feels much finer than thread.

Riot Crrl
July 28th, 2008, 10:26 PM
It might be a mix. I definitely got a mix going on with my own head.

I'm having a hard time conceptualizing the size of these items, but the bottom strand of hair looks wider than the top strands. Maybe it is F/M?

Tressie
July 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I have the same thing going on too! Sometimes I will find a shed on my arm and it will be thickish and then when I do S&D I will find a split on this baby fine hair! So, I typed my hair as F/M:o

Mely
July 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Here is another picture. The Canadian dime is about the same size as an American dime. The other objects are an Amish pin and a ruler in millimeters. I suppose with a microscope a person could measure the actual width of a hair.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/melykin/july282008014.jpg

Riot Crrl
July 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Dang it, you just made me put my hair next to a dime. :silly:

I think that some might be F and some M.

Mely
July 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM

That's what I was thinking (about my hair).
I sure hope no one in my family ever discovers my photobucket page filled with strange hair and hair toy pics. They will think I'm nuts. :rolleyes:

Ohio Sky
July 28th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I'm mostly M but I alsoso have some F and some C thrown in for good measure. I had a hard time with the individual hair as well so I just compared my hairs to all the other hairs on my head. :shrug:

I laugh at you last post, too, Mely. I can only imagine how crazy the outside world must think us. :crazyq:

AnimaSola3o4
July 29th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I think we all have a variation of thickness of strands. I tend to fall more on the M/C range, but I'm sure if I looked hard enough I'd find quite a few F ones. :)

And, LOL I know everyone thinks I'm nuts, I take photos of my hair ALL the time... and have even put quite a few up on my myspace page lol.:whistle:

AnimaSola3o4
July 29th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I suppose with a microscope a person could measure the actual width of a hair.

I actually had my hair measured once. During middle school math class, for some reason the teacher wanted to show off an instrument that measured such amounts, and asked for a volunteer to have their hair measured. I quickly raised my hand (and everyone in the class thought i was nuts!) and he asked me to pull out a hair. I did, he measured, and said "[a number, which i cannot remember]... so you have pretty thick hair, huh?"

Silver & Gold
July 29th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Dang it, you just made me put my hair next to a dime. :silly:

*Giggling* OK, I only thought about putting my hair next to a dime. However, I have been separating selected strands to feel the variation in thickness between strands.

Must . . . resist . . . urge . . . to find a dime.

bgarrison
July 29th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I have a wide variety on my head, which seems odd and I'm chalking up to aging. Everything from baby fine (which was was I had growing up) to thick, coarse, dark and curly. So weird!

mira-chan
July 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I actually had my hair measured once. During middle school math class, for some reason the teacher wanted to show off an instrument that measured such amounts, and asked for a volunteer to have their hair measured. I quickly raised my hand (and everyone in the class thought i was nuts!) and he asked me to pull out a hair. I did, he measured, and said "[a number, which i cannot remember]... so you have pretty thick hair, huh?"

The instrument was most likely a mircometer. We have one in lab. My hairs range fro 7 to 10 micrometers thickness. 7 micrometers is a thicker Medium, above that it's Coarse.

Yes I get bored in lab sometimes. :o