PDA

View Full Version : hair food?

jadelouise
May 15th, 2012, 04:25 AM
does anyone know of any foods that can help hair to grow/appear healthier?

x

SilverDoe
May 15th, 2012, 04:30 AM
does anyone know of any foods that can help hair to grow/appear healthier?

x

A protein/amino acid rich diet, silica supplements, iron, vegetables, enough B vitamins, water & good fats provide ideal nutrients for hair growth.
Hair supplements containing biotin can also increase hair growth/lessen shedding.
But it all ultimately depends on genes, hormonal balance, hair care & stress levels as well.

jadelouise
May 15th, 2012, 04:34 AM
thanks SilverDoe :)

im anemic so am quite low on the iron side of things...

i struggle knowing what foods are protein rich etc.
could you give any examples? x

SilverDoe
May 15th, 2012, 04:50 AM
thanks SilverDoe :)

im anemic so am quite low on the iron side of things...

i struggle knowing what foods are protein rich etc.
could you give any examples? x

Fish, meat, nuts & seeds, peanut butter, beans, dairy & such, it really depends if you are vegetarian/vegan.
Many use protein powder to make sure they get adequate protein, whey protein is said to have a really quick uptake which is ideal for the hair as well.
I would recommend you try protein powder if you have a hard time including enough in your diet.
There is a thread here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91208

Do you take an iron supplement?
The key here is to choose one with a high uptake of around 20-30% to avoid constipation, there are a few liquid herbal supplements that might be available in your area.
Normally the body has a really hard time absorbing iron, meaning only 5-10% gets absorbed. It's a major issue when it comes to hair loss/thinning.
Take iron supplements/iron rich foods with Vitamin C which aids the uptake, avoid calcium, cocoa, coffee/tea/caffeine & soda for up to 2 hours before/after.

jadelouise
May 15th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Thankyou so much! :D thats amazing advice :)

im pescatarian, so i eat fish but no other meats, i eat egg too so i'll eat more eggs and fish in that case :)

and i LOVE peanut butter haha :)

thankyou for the advice on iron supplements too xx

SilverDoe
May 15th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Just eat a varied healthy diet, get your iron levels up & your hair should follow. :) Hair supplements, multivitamins & silica can also help.
If you have continued issues with thinning/hair loss, there might be thyroid issues, hormonal imbalances & such that will need to be checked.

I suffered with anemia for many years myself without knowing it, I saw massive improvements once it was sorted out.

SnowWhite
May 15th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Peanuts and peanutbutter works for me!

Allychan
May 15th, 2012, 05:28 AM
A protein/amino acid rich diet, silica supplements, iron, vegetables, enough B vitamins, water & good fats provide ideal nutrients for hair growth.
Hair supplements containing biotin can also increase hair growth/lessen shedding.
But it all ultimately depends on genes, hormonal balance, hair care & stress levels as well.

I second this post. My staples for hair growth food are as follows:
The yellow yolk of Eggs contains a natural source of biotin.
Brazil nuts for selenium.
Avocados for their good fats (also in coconuts).
Nuts for protein, good fats and vit E etc
Bananas because they are a supa food and for their potassium

summergreen
May 15th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Nuts and seeds are great for hair :)

Viscountess
May 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I eat a lot of avocados, eggs, salmon on the BBQ and sardines on toast.

My fav snack (almost a meal relplacement) is an avocado smoothie. Flesh of an avocado, a dollop of Greek yogurt, some honey, a squirt of lime juice and top up with milk and blend. Sometimes I throw in a raw egg.

Delicious and great for your health AND hair!

jessa
May 16th, 2012, 12:33 AM
salmon
avocado
any dark green veggies
legumes, beans, lentils
nuts (brazil nuts, walnuts, cashews, pecans, almonds)
eggs
whole grains
low fat milk or yogurt
carrots
tomatoes
bananas

:)