PDA

View Full Version : Top Layer of Hair

jennescence
May 15th, 2012, 12:34 AM
So the top layer of my hair feels weird. It is a mix between dry and coarse feeling. I am trying to give it some tlc. Any of you have this problem? If so, what do you do?

thirstylocks
May 15th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I do! My top layer of hair is more damaged than the layers underneath it, probably because its exposed to the sun more. I've tried all sorts of conditioners and hair cuts. The only thing that relieves it and makes it a bit softer is using oils. Castor oil and argan oil work pretty well for me. I use the castor oil as a treatment and wash it out, and I use the argan oil like a serum.

fridgee
May 15th, 2012, 02:20 AM
Mine is like that too from heat damage :( I don't really have much to suggest unfortunately. Cones can help, but I'm avoiding them because they make everything else nasty. I haven't found anything that really makes a great difference.

SilverDoe
May 15th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Yes! And that's the layer that completely breaks off just below the crown of my head.
Running my hand down my hair I can feel all the damage & breakage, most likely from years of chemical dye as well as poor diet & hair care.

What has helped is using light oils for my fine hair like jojoba & camellia, CO washing & henna/cassia treatments.
And taking supplements to ensure the new hair is stronger like silica, b vitamins, biotin, iron & eating enough protein/good fats/enough water.

afu
May 15th, 2012, 02:45 AM
or me what helped with this is using CO washing and applying normal condiitoner as a leave in to damp hair and a litle coconut oil. i will also add a little conditioner and aloe vera to dry hair if it needs it

Audhumla
May 15th, 2012, 03:56 AM
With me this seems to happen due to the way I wear my hair up.
If you wear your hair in a bun or ponytail often try something like a braid that doesn't fasten onto that part of your hair.
That's helped me in the past.

tgagurl27
May 15th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Yea this happens to me too.. Its soo annoying, I'm trying to catch the layers up but it breaks off all the time grrrr

proo
May 15th, 2012, 05:33 AM
The SO method is the only thing that has really improved my coarse, dry canopy.

marykatz
May 15th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Some leave in conditioner that area can help too.

white.chocolate
May 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mine isn't dry, but it's drier than the rest of the length. That bugs me after a wash, so instead of applying oil from below the ears and down, I use just a little on the top of my head as well. My hair feels so smooth afterwards. v

jennescence
May 15th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I have been applying Panacea and baby oil to my hair after I wash it and it is still damp. I find that after it dries it is very frizzy(only the top layer), but after a few hours it is smooth. I think it is weird how it just smooths out on its own.