PDA

View Full Version : Any LHCers better off with conventional products?

wendylai
May 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'd like to hear everyone's opinnion on this subject!

My old routine (pre LHC) was regular volumizing SLS & silicone shampoo & conditioner. Then Rescue repair conditioner for ends, maybe some mousse or volumizing product and possibly light blow dry.

Now as I discovered LHC and my goal is waist, I've shifted to non silicone products, non sulfate..etc. Currently I've discovered CO-wash which to my suprise works pretty well! Also oiling (jojoba & coconut), sometimes white vinegar rinse.. the usual.

Thus far, I've noticed my hair is slightly less dry, and it has "natural" volume without products. Only thing I'm worried about, is if I damage my hair with this new routine :stirpot:

What I'm saying, is if I managed to have quite pretty and good condition hair with old method - I'm inclined to be wary of this new one. For one, I've read that vnegar rinse can denaturate hair protein, and make hair prone to breakage. Has this occurred to anyone?

Yesterday I oiled my hair with coconut, aloe, glyserine etc mix and then some coconut, after few hours I rubbed in humectan body cream, followed w/ co-wash and vinegar rince.

Now my hair is soft, shiny, clean and..light. I may be paranoid, but maybe too light to my liking. Has organic routine & ACV rinse damaged any of yours locks?

:pins:

Johanna
May 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I can't say that my hair was damaged by more natural products, but it was far my tangly and felt really dry when I tried them.

The bottom of my hair is damaged from being dyed a few times over 4 years ago, it reacts well to silicones. When my dyed hair is washed with more natural products it tangles quicker than headphones in a handbag and clings to me horribly. I've tried a few kinds of oils and mineral oils which left my hair incredibly crunchy, no matter how little I used.

My routine would terrify some of the natural routine LHCers here. Head and shoulders shampoo, Herbal essence conditioner and a little bit of jojoba maybe once every week and a half to two weeks.

Raiscake
May 15th, 2012, 12:06 AM
The only "LHC" thing I've been doing is coconut oil after I wash, and wash my hair only every three days. All my other products are typical drugstore brands. SLS shampoo, coney conditioner, I even use hairspray after I curl my hair (not too often though). My hair is in great condition, plus my routine is fast and cheap. Works for me. :D

TheMechaGinger
May 15th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I went cone and sls free for a while and my hair was super dry and always tangley despite oiling. Now I use cones and sls products again in addition to the oiling and other techniques I've learned here and my hair is in great shape. I use suave sleek s&c, the one that's supposed to be a knock off of matrix. Love it :)

leslissocool
May 15th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Honestly my hair does better with cones, with hot oils as pre-wash. Acidic rinses are horrible for me.

I guess I think what really helped my hair was the henna, without it my hair would have literally broken off from all the bleach damage it had. So I do better with cones, but henna saved my hair.

88Marisa
May 15th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I currently am on a Water-only routine, and it's been working great for me so far. But in the past, I have not always had good experiences with natural products. My hair would tangle and dry out. After I switched to conditioner only, I used V05 for the longest time, but I did eventually find a natural line of products (Natural Curls/Everyday Shea/Alaffia) that worked better for me, but of course after awhile I dropped those too.

My point is that if you have products that work for you, stick with them. Don't be afraid to experiment with other products, but don't change your routine just for the sake of changing it unless you get better results with the new stuff. There are lots of people with very long hair who use cones, and I've noticed those with the best results from conventional products tend to be straight haired, so do what works best for you!

hellucy
May 15th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Unfortunately SLS & cone free seemed to make my hair very dry & straw like, not sure if it was just down to the Aloe in the range my hair seems to hate Aloe Vera in all products, no matter how humid it is the Aloe sucks the moisture from my hair.
Oils in small amounts are ok my hair loves Sweet Almond Oil & Baby Oil, unfortunately I can't use Coconut Oil more than once a week as it causes protein overload if I use it everyday.
Egg shampoo/wash my hair hates with a passion.
So currently its bog standard high street brand SLS & cones for me, may try more natural products again in the future.
Next on my to try list is ACV.

wandlimb
May 15th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I tried cone-free shampoo etc., but went back to cones because my hair felt awful. And I use a hairdryer most of the time too. If it ain't broke don't fix it :-)

white.chocolate
May 15th, 2012, 06:28 AM
I'd like to hear everyone's opinnion on this subject!

My old routine (pre LHC) was regular volumizing SLS & silicone shampoo & conditioner. Then Rescue repair conditioner for ends, maybe some mousse or volumizing product and possibly light blow dry.

Now as I discovered LHC and my goal is waist, I've shifted to non silicone products, non sulfate..etc. Currently I've discovered CO-wash which to my suprise works pretty well! Also oiling (jojoba & coconut), sometimes white vinegar rinse.. the usual.

Thus far, I've noticed my hair is slightly less dry, and it has "natural" volume without products. Only thing I'm worried about, is if I damage my hair with this new routine :stirpot:

What I'm saying, is if I managed to have quite pretty and good condition hair with old method - I'm inclined to be wary of this new one. For one, I've read that vnegar rinse can denaturate hair protein, and make hair prone to breakage. Has this occurred to anyone?

Yesterday I oiled my hair with coconut, aloe, glyserine etc mix and then some coconut, after few hours I rubbed in humectan body cream, followed w/ co-wash and vinegar rince.

Now my hair is soft, shiny, clean and..light. I may be paranoid, but maybe too light to my liking. Has organic routine & ACV rinse damaged any of yours locks?

:pins:

What I've learned here since joining is that whatever method works for you, continue with it. So if you're happy with sulfate-free, cone-free products, I see no reason to go back to the old products. I don't do vinegar rinses. I did clarify my hair before though. Just once and for the first time in my life. It was horribly drying afterwards, as it's expected to be, but I needed it because of really bad build up due to the hair products I was using. Now I've switched to much milder products, so I don't think I'll have build up for a very, very long time. How often do you do a vinegar rinse?

afu
May 15th, 2012, 06:30 AM
My hair is much better after adopting LHC methods, but not just due to natural products. I converted to CO which made the biggest difference to me, i avoid cones and due to not using shampoo im SLS free. I use regular conditioner, coconut oil and aloe vera gel as leave ins and they work better than my old coney serums and alcohol filled mousse. Natural products such as coconut oil, aloe vera and honey work really well for me - but as of yet i wouldn't go totally natural as i love conditioner. Oh and i also use lemon juice rinses, not seen any damage yet.

wendylai
May 15th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Thank you all for your input!

My problem is hard to explain.. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that I'm afraid for some reason my hair getting more fragile when I give up conventional products. And what I want to know, is whether natural products can really damage the hair severely before you notice the difference?

For example I kind of like aloe vera, but sometimes when I put it in my ends the feel sort of dryish and hard. I cannot tell if this is because I feel the ends as I'm putting on the product when it's moist and it feels extra moisturized or if really MAKES ends dry..

This is mostly just pondering. I have only recently started to intentionally "grow" so it's a new territory for me and I'm afraid I'll ruin my hair by trying too hard and trying too make treatments or routines :D

We should have some sort of excel etc by which you could figure out which treatmets chemically should go together and which probably wont. If anyone knows what I mean.. kind of spreadsheet with two categories like "moisture" and "protein" up and left and you could navigate from there on :)

MonaMayfair
May 15th, 2012, 07:11 AM
The only "natural" product that's done more for my hair than conventional products is henna, which made my hair thicker (after a massive shed)

I've been experimenting with catnip, which DOES make my hair feel smooth and silky, but so do ordinary conditioners with far less effort!

I've used both coney and natural shampoos at different times and I've never noticed any difference at all.

I think some people like the IDEA of natural products and that has a major influence on what they use.

Laur
May 15th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Your ends may get drying and hard from aloe if you're using enough for it to dry like a gel (it'll get crunchy just like gel will if left to dry on your hair). Natural products are generally gentler than commercial ones, but you should do what works for your hair. If it looks nice and feels nice using natural products (or some combination), that's what you should do.

There is no magical "all natural/commercial products are damaging" rule, unfortunately. Some things are known to cause damage (frequent high heat blow drying, bleaching) but how much damage depends on the individual hair. My hair hates silicones, some people swear by them. My hair hates protein, some people need it. There's no magic formula, unfortunately, so a spreadsheet of "for fine hair do X" isnt going to work. There's just too many variables (hard or soft water? Oily or dry scalp? How much time can you spend? Curly or straight hair).

As for vinegar, using it straight on your hair might cause damage if it's not rinsed out, but a diluted vinegar or lemon juice rinse restores the natural acid mantle to your scalp and hair. Your scalp is naturally slightly acidic, so a rinse with a tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water helps restore that balance and smooth the cuticle of your hair. It should not cause damage if done that way.

MonaMayfair
May 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Yes, as Laur says, we're all so different that there's no way we can know how our hair will respond to new things until we try them.

My hair doesn't like oil (makes the ends dry and crunchy and the rest oily, no matter how little I use) Except for Argan oil - in TINY quantities.

Some people find cassia makes their hair smooth, others (including me) find it makes their hair drier and "rougher" - but also more volumized, which is why I use it.

Lots of people love CO washing - I tried it, and it made me shed terribly.

It's all trial and error I'm afraid!

Rosetta
May 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I am :)

I use & have used different kinds of stuff, also many so-called natural products, but my hair seems to do best with sulfate shampoos and coney conditioners :)

jeanniet
May 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM
It just really depends on your hair. Many people here have great results with conventional products. I don't, and believe me, I've tried--I have a whole shelf of stuff I can't use. It would be so easy and convenient (not to mention cheaper) if I could use conventional shampoo and conditioner, but it just doesn't work for me. I suspect much of it has to do with my well water. Anyway, you could continue using your products and maybe add oiling or whatever.

Hollyfire3
May 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I use SLS shampoo and regular conditioner with some cones, use TONS (like an applaing amount) of mousse...but I also use aloe gel and olive oil for leave in, I like my routine, it works, my curls and volume are FINALLY getting back to normal with this new shampoo and conditioner (Nuance volumizing) and I have no intention of changing it. I experiment with LHC methods when I can, but don't think one is better than another.

racrane
May 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I have an odd unconventional hair routine, but it works best. The last four inches of my hair are very dry and been exposed to heat styling the most. The love cones so I condition that with a coney conditioner every time I shower. I shampoo with no cones twice a week (just my head, not the length) It's weird, but it works. So, I'm unconventional either way, but it's best for me.

jacqueline101
May 15th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I use a mix of lhc and my old products. I found you have to work on your hair and try things to find the right combo for your hair. I found out by trying things my hair grew with monistat and oils.

ravenreed
May 15th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Aloe Vera is one of the most damaging things I ever put on my hair. OTOH, I use vinegar at every wash (very diluted of course) and my hair is longer and stronger than ever. You have to figure out what works for you. It is different for everyone. Some natural products work well for me, such as catnip, and some don't. I haven't yet found a natural shampoo or conditioner that work for my hair, but SLS shampoos are a disaster for my skin. I use a "traditional" conditioner, Suave, in a non-traditional way, i.e. in place of shampoo.

Thank you all for your input!

My problem is hard to explain.. I guess what I'm trying to say is, that I'm afraid for some reason my hair getting more fragile when I give up conventional products. And what I want to know, is whether natural products can really damage the hair severely before you notice the difference?

For example I kind of like aloe vera, but sometimes when I put it in my ends the feel sort of dryish and hard. I cannot tell if this is because I feel the ends as I'm putting on the product when it's moist and it feels extra moisturized or if really MAKES ends dry..

This is mostly just pondering. I have only recently started to intentionally "grow" so it's a new territory for me and I'm afraid I'll ruin my hair by trying too hard and trying too make treatments or routines :D

We should have some sort of excel etc by which you could figure out which treatmets chemically should go together and which probably wont. If anyone knows what I mean.. kind of spreadsheet with two categories like "moisture" and "protein" up and left and you could navigate from there on :)

Hollyfire3
May 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Aloe Vera is one of the most damaging things I ever put on my hair. OTOH, I use vinegar at every wash (very diluted of course) and my hair is longer and stronger than ever. You have to figure out what works for you. It is different for everyone. Some natural products work well for me, such as catnip, and some don't. I haven't yet found a natural shampoo or conditioner that work for my hair, but SLS shampoos are a disaster for my skin. I use a "traditional" conditioner, Suave, in a non-traditional way, i.e. in place of shampoo.

How did AVG damage your hair!?:confused: Worried...I use it quite often...

ravenreed
May 15th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Every time I use aloe vera gel or glycerin, I end up with split ends on just about every hair just a day or two later. I live in an area with very, very low humidity and certain products that act as humectants can be really bad to use here. Since the product cannot suck moisture out of the air, it takes it out of the hair itself. I don't even use anything with honey on my hair. It doesn't matter if they are applied to wet hair and washed out, either. It really is a challenge.

However, my mom lives in this same climate, and she uses AVG with success. However, her hair is only a couple of inches long and she gets it cut all the time. If there is any damage, it gets taken right off.

If it is working for you, I wouldn't worry.

How did AVG damage your hair!?:confused: Worried...I use it quite often...

Tota
May 15th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Conventional products make my hair look better (more shine and volume) but also cause damage and dryness in the long run. I try to follow the "less is more" rule but sometimes I treat myself with a super cony Elseve shine conditioner because seriously - its instant shine effect is just amazing.

Hollyfire3
May 15th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Every time I use aloe vera gel or glycerin, I end up with split ends on just about every hair just a day or two later. I live in an area with very, very low humidity and certain products that act as humectants can be really bad to use here. Since the product cannot suck moisture out of the air, it takes it out of the hair itself. I don't even use anything with honey on my hair. It doesn't matter if they are applied to wet hair and washed out, either. It really is a challenge.

However, my mom lives in this same climate, and she uses AVG with success. However, her hair is only a couple of inches long and she gets it cut all the time. If there is any damage, it gets taken right off.

If it is working for you, I wouldn't worry.

our climate is humid so I think I'm fine, good to know:)

Servana
May 17th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Although I currently use a sulfate-free, 99% natural shampoo, I notice no difference in the look or health of my hair. I use it because it's the cheapest shampoo at the supermarket. I use a conventional conditioner with cones & it's the only conditioner that can detangle my hair. Seriously, the only one. I also wash my hair every day.

My hair has always been very healthy. I never get split ends & my hair grows very quickly. I don't see any need to stop using conventional products...