PDA

View Full Version : Best Salon Experience Yet :)

mzBANGBANG
May 14th, 2012, 06:13 PM
...thanks to LHC, which has taught me to express exactly what I want and be assertive!

Why I Went: I messed up my face framers. I've been talking about this for literally weeks and I was tired of it! So I bit the $25 bullet and went to the salon.

What I Got: The stylist not only fixed my framers, but talked me out of bangs based on my hair type and regime. She was so receptive to everything I said! She ended up doing a very subtle side swept fringe (so subtle that if I push it behind my ear, it disappears) that put some use to my cowlick. Now the funny way my hair grows actually looks like a style.

She cut the front of my hair based on what I told her: I wanted to fix it so it didn't bother me, but so that it would look good as the back length continued to grow.

And in 30 seconds, we were done. We spent more time talking than she spent cutting my hair! So after she did that, she asked me if I wanted to get my money's worth and go for a trim. I told her that I wasn't sure and then she took the length of my hair, held it between her fingers and seriously showed me an EIGHTH of an inch! She promised me she wouldn't take off anymore than that. Well, heck yes I'll take a trim from a stylist that gives a crap about what her clients think!

By the end of that, I tipped her generously considering how little she did (in the world of LHC that is a good thing, I think!), and she gave me her card.

I finally have an LHC approved stylist! Jodi, if you're out there, you were awesome!!!

jacqueline101
May 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I'm glad you're happy with your hair stylist and salon experience. There is noting better then finding someone who understands you and your needs.

Carissamarie08
May 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Yay! I'm happy for you.

millyaulait
May 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM
It is SO good to hear about a positive salon experience!

I think I've been totally put off by all the horror stories..

So glad it worked out for you! :)

KAggs
May 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM
It's a beautiful thing when you can find a hairstylist that does exactly what you want them to do. :D

Carrie Ingalls
May 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
That is wonderful! So glad you had such a positive experience!

Jesabel
May 14th, 2012, 07:07 PM
She sounds like a great hair stylist :) mine does the same :)

Unicorn
May 14th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Don't ever let her go! A good stylist is a diamond.

Unicorn

mzBANGBANG
May 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I figured I'd post since there aren't too many positive salon experiences on here. It was even at a salon I had a lackluster experience at, I was really happy when I found out I wouldn't be getting the same stylist. She had an attitude problem :-/ *irrelevant*

BlazingHeart
May 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Where in PA are you? If you're in Philly, I'd love to get the name/address of the salon. I've been thinking about getting some face framing pieces cut, and I need my length trimmed to get rid of old layering (grr, the trouble with growing straight out from a short cut).

I might wait until we visit my parents, because I have a stylist I love out there, but it'd be good to have someone local too.

~Blaze

kitcatsmeow
May 15th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Where'd you go? I've had some SCARY experiences with color but not so much cut. I usually go to Platinum. Love that place!

mzBANGBANG
May 15th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Where in PA are you? If you're in Philly, I'd love to get the name/address of the salon. I've been thinking about getting some face framing pieces cut, and I need my length trimmed to get rid of old layering (grr, the trouble with growing straight out from a short cut).

I might wait until we visit my parents, because I have a stylist I love out there, but it'd be good to have someone local too.

~Blaze

Where'd you go? I've had some SCARY experiences with color but not so much cut. I usually go to Platinum. Love that place!

Oddly enough, I found this great hairdresser at the mall! She works at Holiday Hair, I believe she is the manager. Blaze, probably WAY too far for you ;) Where is Platinum? I might have to check them out if I ever want to get highlights.

Vanilla
May 15th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Congrats on finding an awesome stylist and a cut you love :).

Suze2012
May 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
...thanks to LHC, which has taught me to express exactly what I want and be assertive!

Right! Gotcha!

I'm an 'inbetweener' with my hairdresser..
She has been trimming my curly hair for 2 years..er..so that makes it about 4 appointments! Haha!

I went into the salon initially saying that I had had hair nightmares for two decades and that I wanted someone to cut my hair who would listen but also remember what I had said and not chatter about holidays and work and blah blah and get over excited and cut too much off.

Yes my hair is dry and yes damaged and I deal with that..but I've been growing it..at my own cost..I live with it..I deal with it! :)

The first 3 times I went she was good..but once asked would I like it shaped in at the sides..so I said yes..a bit..
Oh man! It ended up chin length when wet..and I have curls..so it twanged out to the side for ages!

Two times in between..she asked..but I said just trim tiny ends as it still didn't need cutting back. She did..all good.

Last time..she is getting to know me... *grins* I asked for just the ends off all over, she took about 5 minutes..she admitted she didn't touch the layers..I told her to go ahead.

So..I'm nervous now as I want some o the length off and it's v-shaped..plus I co wash and don't want it shampooed..hehehe!

I reckon I will be her most difficult customer tomorrow...but...I figure if I tell her exactly what I want..then I'll go back to her...and she does get recommended to friends by me too.

I still have my fingers crossed for tomorrow though! NERVES!!!!

Glad to hear of your good experience! Your first sentence...will be my bible tomorrow! :).

Alvrodul
May 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
What a wonderful experience - and it is always good to get it confirmed that not all stylists are scissors-happy monsters! ;):cheese:

kitcatsmeow
May 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Oddly enough, I found this great hairdresser at the mall! She works at Holiday Hair, I believe she is the manager. Blaze, probably WAY too far for you ;) Where is Platinum? I might have to check them out if I ever want to get highlights.

LOL That's only 20 minutes from me. Actually one of my good friends works there! I don't know Blaze personally but my friend has mentioned her. I've gotten good trims there in the past.

Platinum is in youngwood on 119. Very nice spa/salon.

spidermom
May 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
How terrific is that!

Faux
May 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I love Regis salons. I've never had a bad cut from anyone there.

afu
May 18th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I love Regis salons. I've never had a bad cut from anyone there.

I used to go to Regis too but i've not been since actively growing my hair (they only coloured and maintained it) I was always happy there. I can't afford to go anymore so ive been going to a trainee for the past year just for highlights topping up, ive never let her cut it. Unfortunatly she just qualified and is super expensive so i need to seek out other options

BlazingHeart
May 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
LOL That's only 20 minutes from me. Actually one of my good friends works there! I don't know Blaze personally but my friend has mentioned her. I've gotten good trims there in the past.

Platinum is in youngwood on 119. Very nice spa/salon.

I'm pretty sure she was telling me, Blaze, that the salon was too far away from me.;)

mzBANGBANG
May 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure she was telling me, Blaze, that the salon was too far away from me.;)

Sorry! I've been tired! Also I see I didn't even bother to clarify what city!!! I live about 40 miles from Pittsburgh, I guess I could have been less rude!

Kit, I totally recommend her if you just want a trim or something basic and simple. I would trust her with other styles too just because she has over 17 years of experience and is a VERY good listener.

spookyghost
May 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Where in Pa are you from? I live in Pa also and I would love to go to her!:D Although Im sure the chances that we live close by are slim to none!:lol: Wow, I would give my right arm for a hairdresser like that. I was ok, just ok , with the one I have now except she dropped the ball big time on the color I just got. I have been upset for three weeks now. I know I should just let it go. Just get over it but I cant. All I wanted was one last color to help grow out highlights and the color is not what I asked for. The dermafication is going to be awful and thats exactly what I didnt want. So I am going to have to try and darken my hair with black tea or something else natural to help hide my roots as they grow out or color again-yeah thats real healthy huh? One bad color can be years of grow-out and damage! I cant get over it. It makes me sick.

spookyghost
May 18th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I live 1 1/2 hours north of Pittsburgh. If your 40 miles north of Pitts. that is a plus! Haha. I left my hairdresser of 18 years about three years ago. The cut she gave me was one for the horror books. She never did seem to listen to what I wanted but I think she just had me thinking that she was the best so I never had the nerve to go somewhere else-weird I know. It was like I was brainwashed! So three more hair dressers after her and they were just as bad. I dont think I was a difficult client. I was very nice and all I would tell them is that I wanted healthy hair down to my waist with a little wisp at the very bottom side ends so just a little would go toward my face. Kinda like Jennifer Aniston when her hair was longer. Just a little sexy wisp at the end on the sides-kinda like a suble fringe. Thats it. So what I got was hair that never grew and kept getting shorter! And that little wisp on the ends just threw everybody off. I actually had a one inch chunk out on one side. Really? No one could do it. The girl I have now looked at my hair and said that it looked like I had two different hairstyles going on and she did fix that which she basically just blended it a little so it didnt look so unatural. So of course I stayed with her. But this color has me devestated. I dont know what she was thinking. How do you get strawberry blonde when I asked for one shade lighter than ash? Anyways, sorry about the rant! I am very happy you found someone awesome! You are very lucky!

PixxieStix
May 18th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hold onto her and never let go, that is awesome! Congrats on finding an LHC approved stylist that works for YOU! :D

Annibelle
May 18th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Oh! I'm so glad to read this. I'm booking an appointment soon for the first time in 5 years, and I needed to read this. ;) I hope my experience goes well, too!

kitcatsmeow
May 18th, 2012, 06:19 PM

woops! lol :o thought she meant the managers name was blaze!

mzBANGBANG
May 18th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I live 1 1/2 hours north of Pittsburgh. If your 40 miles north of Pitts. that is a plus!

The one I went to is in Greensburg at Westmoreland Mall.... if you ever have a reason to head that way, make an appointment with Jodi! Nothing beats an 18 dollar tune up ;)

HintOfMint
May 18th, 2012, 08:56 PM
OP, I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience! She sounds like a gem.

I figured I'd post since there aren't too many positive salon experiences on here. It was even at a salon I had a lackluster experience at, I was really happy when I found out I wouldn't be getting the same stylist. She had an attitude problem :-/ *irrelevant*

It is SO good to hear about a positive salon experience!

I think I've been totally put off by all the horror stories..

So glad it worked out for you! :)

I have had relatively few horrible hairdressers, my experiences at the salon tend to be mostly good. I try to publish my good experiences when I can just to get people to not be so afraid of the salon (and to brag! :p)