PDA

View Full Version : Big Changes! Grace and I cut!

Carrie Ingalls
May 14th, 2012, 02:04 PM
On a side note this month marks my three year anniversary of joining the LHC.

As many of you know I have been maintaining my hair at ankle length since it hit floor in the spring of 2009. My sister “Grace Ingalls” has never had her hair cut. Well, we both got our hair cut this spring. Don’t freak out, these were long contemplated cuts.

Grace mostly just wanted to get her ends cleaned up and evened out a little. When we measured it was nearly nine inches longer than her height (when wet). So, I cut it back to ankle (when wet) for her, a total cut of 11.25 inches. It is still calf length when dry.

I have been contemplating cutting my hair on and off for the last couple years or, but pretty seriously since this past fall. In December I skipped my normal semi-annual trim because I knew I would probably be cutting in the spring. For those of you that are wondering there were a number of factors that contributed to my decision (in no particular order): this fall I am starting an intensive and demanding academic program in the field of healthcare and I didn’t want my hair to be long enough to touch the hospital floor if I had to redo it while there. Similarly I didn’t want my hair to touch the shower floor every time I washed it (dorm style housing). I am staffing a wilderness backpacking program this summer and wanted to easily be able to redo it in in the woods quickly and simply so as to not let the sheds build up. I wanted to see how braiding would change and be different because currently I get a LOT of rebraiding or reverse braiding because it is a whole body chore to separate the hair all the way down (my length was 2+ feet longer than fingertip length). I sorta wanted to be able to wear it down at least around the house without risking stepping on it or getting it caught in the backs of my shoes (forget flipflops). I was just curious what it would be like. I wanted to.

When my hair was measured it was 3.5 inches longer than my height (not surprising since my last trim was in August of 2011 and the skipped Dec trim.) I had been waffling back and forth about exactly how my I wanted cut, but decided on cutting about 11 inches from floor length. I might get a dusting/small trim in August before the start of the school year depending on how I like the cut over the next couple months. So in the end I cut 14.5 inches. I had my mom do the actual cutting.
Now my hair is upper-mid calf length. I know, it didn’t happen unless there are pictures, and I have them cropped resized and ready to upload…but I’m only going to upload them to my albums here…and we all know the uploading it experiencing technical difficulties. So stay tuned.

My hair doesn’t feel dramatically lighter, but I have noticed less pulling on my scalp (cool unexpected bonus) and the ends poke out of pretty much any updo but I was expecting that. I know that it is all in my head but I feel a little freer, which is nice. I am still planning to grow it right back out (though possibly keeping it “short” until I’m done this academic program), which is only about two years of growth to hit floor again (a year and a half to hit ankle again). I’m also hoping to try more different styles as I grow back out.

P.S. No, I am not donating my hair, out of principle: hair does not cure cancer or alopecia, research does. I do not have great confidence in any of the hair donation organizations. I am not caving to the pressure of others, I chose to cut my hair because I wanted to. I know the condition of the ends and they wouldn’t be the best for wigs/extensions. Lastly, I have been tracking all my trims and saving the cut hair so that I can compare the condition of my ends over time.

lapushka
May 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
On a side note this month marks my three year anniversary of joining the LHC.

Congratulations! :)

Good on you for having the courage to cut that much off. I can't even imagine my hair at that length, but certainly floor length must be challenging. :)

spidermom
May 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Hope you enjoy it.

Beatnik Guy
May 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Glad you are both happy with your "trims". :)

Congrats on your 3yearLHCiversary too. :disco:

humble_knight
May 14th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Wishing you well with your hospital work!

jeanniet
May 14th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I find it amazing that you could cut so much off and still have waaaay more length than most of us here! Congrats on your cut, and I hope you find it the right length for all your activities. Eagerly awaiting the pics. :)

Yozhik
May 14th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary, and I'm glad you're so pleased with the cut!

It definitely seems like you're happy with your choice, which is most important.

I've always admired your hair, and I think it's stunning at any length. :flower:

ETA: can't wait for the photos in your album!

leslissocool
May 14th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Yay! Congrats :cheese: Happy 3 year anniversary!

torrilin
May 14th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Sounds like the two of you cut for all the right reasons :).

long&blonde
May 14th, 2012, 05:00 PM
So happy you both are happy with your decisions.
Can't wait to see pictures.

PixxieStix
May 14th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Best of luck with your academic endeavors, and congratulations on doing a cut that was only for YOU. =) So happy to hear you love it.

Vanilla
May 14th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Congrats on the cut. :). It's only hair, and I'm glad that you both thought a lot prior to cutting. Good luck in your new endeavors :)

Carrie Ingalls
May 14th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Glad you are both happy with your "trims". :)

Haha, this is really how we both feel. We didn't really think of them as cuts but rather trims that were slightly more than I normally trim.

Also, I don't want people to think that I cut my hair because it was a ton of work, it wasn't. I spent very little time on my hair, it fact I almost think I was getting too lazy with it. :)

jacqueline101
May 14th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Happy third anniversary. I like your donation idea. I think its very nobel to help others.

LoveAngelBeauty
May 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Woah! Congrats!

Johanna
May 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Both of you would have gorgeous hair at any length. And it's not as though you cut back to shoulder length so if you decide to grow back after your busy schedule it wont take you for-eb-bers like it would otherwise. Enjoy your nice fresh ends! I love playing with my ends just after a trim :D

terylenerose
May 14th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I hope you like it! Congratulations on being here 3 years!

DreadfulWoman
May 14th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Congratulations to you both! I know you've been considering this cut for a long time, so I'm glad that you're happy with the end result.

And now you've just given me one more reason to try to will pictures to work again. Dangit.

BlazingHeart
May 14th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Don't worry, your hair is still at WOW length! ;) Good to hear you're happy with your trim and congratulations :toast: on your 3 year anniversary!

Loreley
May 15th, 2012, 01:19 AM
It's great that you both like the new length and you are brave to cut that much! :) Congrats on your anniversary! :cheer:

Carrie Ingalls
May 15th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I just had to share this because it amused me: Yesterday I had an appointment somewhere and as I was leaving the office I didn't bother putting my hair back up in the office. Well, there was a lady in the waiting room and as I closed the door behind me I heard her saying "I've never seen hair that LONG!" I had to laugh inside thinking "this is really short, you should have seen it last week."

kamikaze hair
May 15th, 2012, 09:31 AM
LOL, thats so funny. Well I'm happy your happy with your trim. Your hair is fabulous :)

Valfreyja
May 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I loved reading that story. You know that many of us live vicariously through your hair experiences. :)

I can't wait to see photos of the haircut!

moon2dove
May 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Congratulations on 3year Anniversary at LHC:toast:

You are so brave to cut so much! Glad you are happy with your decision :)

Looking forward to looking at new pics.

jeanniet
May 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Lol, "long" is all relative, isn't it?

meishkamooshka
May 15th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Way to go! :thumbsup: I'm excited to see pictures, as well!

moxamoll
May 15th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Congratulations on your LHC anniversary! I also love the "relative-ness" of long. The fact that a large trim for you would be a significant chop for a lot of us is both ultra-cool and mind-boggling!

PrairieRose
May 15th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Congratulation on 3 years and the new cut!

kidari
May 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I loved reading your post. Enjoy your new shorter length and the best of luck to you with school and work! I agree about the pressure to donate your hair. I've read some shady things about companies like "lock of love" that most of the donated hair never gets used and the usable ones are actually sold for a huge profit.

Alvrodul
May 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I love the little story! :D I suppose long - and short hair can be a matter of perspective!

Angela_Rose
May 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Aww! While I'm a little sad to hear that you're not at "Beyond Floor-length" anymore, I am thrilled that you're happy with your cuts!

I'm so sorry I won't get to see it in person next month. :-(