PDA

View Full Version : styling question for curly girls

anime_length
May 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Hello.... so I have pretty curly hair and it's getting nice and long but i feel like it only looks good curly after I CO wash/rinse it in the morning. And even still, I feel like I'm constantly messing with my hair to get it to look good.

Sometimes I commit the cardinal sin of straightening because then I can leave it alone all week. All week! And it just looks better and better.

But when it's curly i feel like all I can do is enjoy it the first day and deal with it from then on. Which is sad because I feel like all the fussing with my hair damages it.

When I put it in braids [because my hair is curly] it takes the shape of the braid too much so when I take it out my hair looks down right weird.

What do you girls do to get pretty hair all week so you don't have to mess with it?

kitschy
May 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I've gotten my CO wash process down to a point were I can do it everyday if I want. Sometimes I want - other times I can go a week without rewetting.

princesitamaria
May 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
if your hair looks bad the next day and u have curly hair you need a trim badly- I started trimming my hair at the salon to help it grow better since I have bleach damage and now it curls right up and the next day I will brush it to get the nots out that accrued over night and then it curls up again! its awesome- I go every 8 weeks and its growing finally since it doesnt just keep breaking be'ause the damage

lapushka
May 14th, 2012, 01:08 PM
If it looks a little frizzy the second day, spritz it or re-wet it slightly, then put some conditioner or leave in into it. Should be fine then. Dealing with it curly is entirely different from dealing with straight hair, but you can learn to deal with it.

anime_length
May 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
if your hair looks bad the next day and u have curly hair you need a trim badly- I started trimming my hair at the salon to help it grow better since I have bleach damage and now it curls right up and the next day I will brush it to get the nots out that accrued over night and then it curls up again! its awesome- I go every 8 weeks and its growing finally since it doesnt just keep breaking be'ause the damage

You think? I don't know, i just did a Search & Destroy.

It isn't like it's frizzy, it's just.... slept on and too curly. Because when it dries after being wet, the weight of it pulls it straighter, longer, more wavy. and then when I sleep it just... gets into the shape of an "s" and i just.... don't like it.

anime_length
May 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I was thinking maybe I could style it in a way so that when I sleep I can wake up with it looking nice... like maybe a low pony and soft curlers? and that way i'll know what it will look like in the morning.

bumblebums
May 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
This site talks about protecting and refreshing the curls on non-wash days (look towards the bottom of the page):

http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Kittyxx
May 14th, 2012, 01:52 PM
When my curls start to look funny and I don't want to wash I slightly dampen my hair and sleep in a sock bun
obviously it's not the same curl pattern as my natural hair but it still looks nice [in my opinion anyway lol]

anime_length
May 14th, 2012, 02:18 PM
When my curls start to look funny and I don't want to wash I slightly dampen my hair and sleep in a sock bun
obviously it's not the same curl pattern as my natural hair but it still looks nice [in my opinion anyway lol]
i think my hair might be too long for a sock bun, but I like that idea.

afu
May 14th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I find that the best way to keep my natural curl pattern over a few days is to french rope braid it at night, it gives spirals instead of S waves and doesn't spring up so much (my profile picture is from sleeping on a french rope braid done on dry hair). It might be worth a try. I was the same in the past, straightened hair behaved so much better for me! I think sometimes it has to be all or nothing, promise yourself you'll give up the heat and it will be less tempting to go for the quick fix. Also try to appreciate updos, before i joined LHC i always liked wearing my hair loose. Now if my hair is misbehaving i quite like it because it challenges me to practice nice updos :) always a positive out of a negative

anime_length
May 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I find that the best way to keep my natural curl pattern over a few days is to french rope braid it at night, it gives spirals instead of S waves and doesn't spring up so much (my profile picture is from sleeping on a french rope braid done on dry hair). It might be worth a try. I was the same in the past, straightened hair behaved so much better for me! I think sometimes it has to be all or nothing, promise yourself you'll give up the heat and it will be less tempting to go for the quick fix. Also try to appreciate updos, before i joined LHC i always liked wearing my hair loose. Now if my hair is misbehaving i quite like it because it challenges me to practice nice updos :) always a positive out of a negative

That's such a wonderful outlook. You're right.

I really do want to give up the heat. I think part of the reason for wanting to grow my hair down to thigh length is that it will weigh itself down and maybe just be wavy. Embracing my curls is an obstacle.

Thank you so much. ^__^

Laur
May 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
A mister bottle with water and a bit of lavender essential oil is my rescue for slept on curls. It's almost as good as starting fresh, and with a little extra gel you can get them to spring back up again. Sometimes I even hit the front pieces with a low-heat diffuser to sproingy them up again. I can't comb my hair and expect it to curl again at all, so I think that will depend on your hair texture and level of curliness.

anime_length
May 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
A mister bottle with water and a bit of lavender essential oil is my rescue for slept on curls. It's almost as good as starting fresh, and with a little extra gel you can get them to spring back up again. Sometimes I even hit the front pieces with a low-heat diffuser to sproingy them up again. I can't comb my hair and expect it to curl again at all, so I think that will depend on your hair texture and level of curliness.

Yeah, DivaCurl makes something with the same ingredients...right here (http://www.mydevacurl.com/products/style/mister_right). I didn't think to get it at the time but maybe I should. It smells so soothing. ^__^

katsrevenge
May 14th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'd check out the curly thread and maybe the kinky haired thread..

www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369

I plop it at night if I will be wearing it down the next day. I pretty much live in braids and buns though...And they've already covered misting and recurling...

That's all I have for you as my texture is such I can brush it to a sort of poofy straight if I really want to.

afu
May 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
As well as what i put about the rope braid curls, i find that just smooshing a bit more thin conditioner through the lengths helps to revive curls. I use a very thin cone free conditioner with some aloe vera gel added. This also adds great shine

longhairedleah
May 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I find the best ways to keep my curls lasting a few days are:

1. spritzing with diluted conditioner, and topping up on oil
2. sleeping with my hair in a 'pineapple' do (i think that's what it's called, basically a ponytail at your forehead)
3. sleeping on a silk pillowcase (byebye frizzees!)

without the pineappling though, i'm definitely looking at tops 1 nice day of curls, and then suffering with different hairstyles til my next wash haha

hope that helps!

heidi w.
May 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I was thinking maybe I could style it in a way so that when I sleep I can wake up with it looking nice... like maybe a low pony and soft curlers? and that way i'll know what it will look like in the morning.

Lots of people sleep in some kind of sleep cap. Maybe that will help?

Uh, if you trim for any reason, trim dry, not wet. That way you can see instantly what the hair will really look like rather than trimming dry an inch, say, and then upon drying it appears as though too much was removed because curly hair when it dries doesn't hang as long....less weight on the coil so it coils up even more.

heidi w.