PDA

View Full Version : Cowlick?

Tabihito
May 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
I have a very annoying cowlick in the front of my head that refuses to lie flat. It will stand straight out from my head, whether I want it to lie with the rest of my hair when it's down, or if I want to wear my hair up it makes a funny little bump. The hairs actually want to go forward, and as such are best hidden by bangs, which are difficult to maintain for a wurly, and also I don't have a lot of hair, so I'm really not looking to make the rest of my hair look like even less as a solution.

Is there any way at all to combat a cowlick though? I've tried making it dry flat (it pops up as soon as I remove the pin holding it down), I've tried gel, I've tried oiling, I've tried moving my part, nothing seems to dissuade it from sticking up in all sorts of odd ways. It doesn't help that the hairs in that spot refuse to grow past about three inches.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/meisrunner/IMG_05411.jpg

I apologize for the slightly-greasy hair, tomorrow morning is wash time for me...

lapushka
May 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Actually, I don't think it looks that bad! Looks like a bit of volume at the roots, that's all.

Tabihito
May 14th, 2012, 02:52 PM
It's not wearing it down that it's most annoying, it's when trying to wear it up, mostly. Pins in the front of my head just look silly, and physically holding the hairs down seems so far to be the only method of controlling it. I can't wear my hair up without a part because of it, since lying sideways is less against the "grain" than going straight back would be.

Tota
May 14th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I have a very similar cowlick and it makes me furious because I cant wear a middle part. Mine grows up in the air. I learned that the longer the hair the better because the weight holds the hair down. No more bangs for me - I want a hippie middle part!

The other solution would be to make an even deeper side part. Try putting the hair that sticks out to the other side and see how you like it.

lapushka
May 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Oh well, my cowlicks in the front tend to stick up a bit when my hair's pulled back, but... well, I don't even notice anymore. :lol: But I get why you'd be annoyed, though. Didn't cross my mind what it'd be like pulled back. Sorry.

torrilin
May 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
It's not wearing it down that it's most annoying, it's when trying to wear it up, mostly. Pins in the front of my head just look silly, and physically holding the hairs down seems so far to be the only method of controlling it. I can't wear my hair up without a part because of it, since lying sideways is less against the "grain" than going straight back would be.

Are you trying for a slicked flat against your head look? Because if you're trying for styles where there's a bit of volume at the front, that's going to look fine, or even make it easier to achieve a pretty look. And the more usual complaint is a bun is so slicked back the person looks like a mean librarian...

cuties
May 14th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I also get it sometimes. I have seen that combing wet hair a few times at regular intervals helps it settle down.

mzBANGBANG
May 14th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I turned my cowlick into a long, side swept fringe. Problem solved :) I'm not a fan of bangs but it's the only thing that looks good natural.

Tabihito
May 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Are you trying for a slicked flat against your head look? Because if you're trying for styles where there's a bit of volume at the front, that's going to look fine, or even make it easier to achieve a pretty look. And the more usual complaint is a bun is so slicked back the person looks like a mean librarian...

My baby hairs in front pretty much ensure that I am incapable of the totally slicked-back look, but I seem to be incapable of doing updos with volume in front without looking a bit ridiculous. My hair doesn't cooperate, or I'm just inept at it, or maybe it just looks bad on me.

One reason why I favor braids so much. Yeah, they're thin, but they're so much easier to manage with my hair.

LoveAngelBeauty
May 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM
You could put it up while wet and then tie a scar around it until it dries. It should keep the hair lying down. Many women with really curly, resistant hair do it and it works for them so it should work for you :)

Jing
May 15th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Have you tried swicthing your part to the other side? I have a similar cowlick, and I keep it under control by weighing it down with more wellbehaved hairs on top. Of course if you want to slick your hair straight back that won't help.