PDA

View Full Version : Bangs - do I or don't I.

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I am in a bit of inner turmoil right now. Now that I am actively trying to grow my hair and am doing all the necessary precautions to keep it safe (keeping it up, oiling it at night, using cone-free shampoos, etc) I am having some problems with my bang/forehead area.

I have a rather broad forehead. It is easily 4 and 1/2 fingers stacked on top of each other, if that gives you a visual. I also have fairly recent photos in my albums, though they are from the time when I actually styled my hair. I have not been able to put up any very recent ones due to the problems with the photo uploader.
- Anyway - my current dilemma is that I have a broad forehead, and fairly fine/thin hair. My ponytail is just barely 2.5 inches around. Because my hair is so fine, it falls flat very easily and that is especially the case now that I am not styling it. Also, in my opinion, my larger forehead and fine hair make all of my updos look harsh when I really would like to go for a softer look. I also have crazy cowlicks in the front that I just cannot style without heat. :(

It was easy for me to style my hair to cover my forehead, make my hair look fuller, etc when I was actually styling it and using hair spray, mousse, creams, blow-fryer, etc. But right now I would really prefer to stay away from all of that stuff as I grow out my dye and heat damage.

AND if that weren't enough - since my hair is fine and I have oily skin, my hair gets VERY greasy looking after only one day. If I did cut bangs, then I would need to wash my hair daily, which I do anyway. I am just not sure I would be able to continue with my CO every other day like I have been. I notice my hair is greasier on CO days.

I'm just not sure what to do. I have had bangs before and I always liked them a lot... the only thing I do not like is maintenance. My hair grows pretty quick and I need to trim them every 3-4 weeks.

PROS :
- softer looking updos
- hide my large forehead and unflattering hairline
- Since they will be trimmed frequently, I feel I will be able to heat style JUST my bangs, which makes my thin hair look better. (They would need to be heat styled anyway due to my cowlick in the front)
- having bangs makes my actual length appear longer. :P

CONS:
- my hair gets greasy very easily, so I would need to wash my hair (or at least my bangs) daily. I have never used dry shampoo, so I am not sure if it would work well for me.
- my bangs are actually past my chin now from the last time I cut them. If I did decide to cut them and I didn't like them, then it would probably be another year before they are back to where they are now.
- bangs in my face when I exercise. I can put them back with a headband, but they always seem to slip out.
- maintenance

What do you think? I can provide pictures of myself with and without bangs, but I know i like them on myself so that is not the issue. The issue is not being able to do much with my hair in regards to hiding my flaws/greasy flat hair now that I am not using styling products.
Is there anything out there that is not damaging that would help me style my hair and make it look fuller?

I guess I am just not sure what I want. To me, bangs seem the way to go. But I am just so reluctant to cut any length off of my hair because I cant immediately have it back if I want it.

Sorry for the novel. I just don't know what to do. My husband is no help either... he just says do what makes to feel happy. :P Which I guess makes sence, but I want facts to back up my decision! lol.

cfreya
May 14th, 2012, 09:50 AM
It seems to me you are definitely pro bangs and you just want some persuading why to do it

I am the same as you, thin fine hair and a big forehead, I really do look awful with no fringe

I stretch my washes about 4 days to a week and CO wash but I tie my hair back and wash my bangs/fringe over the sink every day and blow dry them with a round brush to give volume, it really helps and even gives the impression the rest of my hair is cleaner than it really is, as people are seeing the freshly washed bangs

If I were you I would definitely go for it

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I think my main problem is that since joining LHC, I have this irrational fear of cutting my hair. LOL. I want it long and beautiful like all of these ladies, so I dont want to cut any of it. I also see all these women with lovely hair that are able to stretch their washes for days, and I SO wish I could do that. I just need to keep in mind that everyone is different and I am just not able to follow the crowd with that one.

Thank you, cfreya. I am glad there is someone else in my shoes that feels the same way about their hair. Yours is lovely, by the way. :)

spidermom
May 14th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I looked at your pictures, and I vote "don't". You don't "need" bangs. Of course if you really want them, then of course ignore me.

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
No no, I will take your thoughts into consideration! thats why I made this thread (and perhaps to get some tips on how to make my hair look fuller if I do decide to keep it how it is.)

Vanille_
May 14th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I looked at your pictures, and I vote "don't". You don't "need" bangs. Of course if you really want them, then of course ignore me.

I have the same sentiment. :)

jacqueline101
May 14th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I like bangs myself so I say go for it. If you really want and miss them do it to please yourself no one else.

Changling
May 14th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I also vote "don't" for these reasons:

1) I think you look great without bangs! You totally, definitely do not need them.

2) I find bangs to be an enormous pain in the butt. Especially during exercise!!

3) Bangs *suck* to grow out. I hate growing out bangs.

4) SO MANY PEOPLE get bangs, and just *instantly* hate them, to their own surprise, then spend months/years growing them back out, agonizing the whole time.

5) Fake bangs exist! They look real and are not that expensive. They are all over the internet.

Scarlet_Heart
May 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
As someone with a large forehead, I feel you. I would say if you want them go for it, but here's a little fore-warning. Every time I start to consider bangs I recall a few things.

1. I have a widow's peak, which makes things difficult.
2. My hair has natural wave, so if I give myself bangs, I will have to heat style them somehow... every. day.
3. Right at the beginning of summer is the worst time to cut bangs because when it's hot they sit on your forehead and make you sweat. Sweat = damp bangs = they get kinky and lose straightness.
4. It's hard to just get up and go if you have to style them. So if you're running late, you're screwed or it's a headband day.

If you don't have these issues, as your hair looks rather straight in your pics, then go for it. I think they'd look cute on you.

Micayla47
May 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
shutterpillar, i have the exact same issue. it's been an on-going battle my whole adult life. i grow my bangs out cuz i really like one length, then i see a picture of myself and think "why hasn't anyone ever told me i have a GIANT forehead?" and then i cut bangs and i like them for a bit and then i hate them and have to wait 6 months for them to grow long enough to put behind my ears!!! it's exhausting:mad: unfortunately i don't have any advice for you. i just wanted to commiserate :)

spookyghost
May 14th, 2012, 10:56 AM

I completely agree! I also looked at your pics and I think your hair is beautiful. I never thought I would look good without bangs-my actual hair dressser always told me this. I dont go to her anymore!:lol: Anyways, I hated to keep trimming them and it seemed that my bangs never got trimmed nicely either. So they are now about 2-3 inches past my chin and I cant believe I waited so long to grow them out. I have fine hair also and about four fingertips of forehead too!:p I will never have bangs again. But thats me. If you really want them-go for it. They are a pain to grow back but they will grow back;)

TiffanieJean
May 14th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I say do it! You will never know unless you try, and the greatest part is that if you hate it you can always pin it back until it grows. I personally love bangs, but I have a round face and look horrible with them.. I've tried a couple different styles and finally had to give up on the idea.

As for the oily scalp issue, have you ever tried using Jojoba Oil? It's very similar to the sebum your skin naturally produces, so when used over time it can actually regulate the amount of oil you make. I did a blog post on my LHC page if you want to read more about it.. Might be worth a try!

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Ok, those that are saying no.... can anyone tell me how to achieve a softer look when I have my hair pulled back in my hair sticks? It just looks so harsh to me because my hair is so thin, and I always want to wear my hair down because of it. I have tried pulling a few stray hairs out from the sides of the bun to kind of frame my face and make it seem less harsh, but I dont think that quite does it either.

And there is the problem with volume... how to achieve it without heat and styling products. All the pictures (except for the length photo) in my album are me after I have styled my hair with product/heat. They are fairly old photos. If only I could figure out what to do with my hair to get it how I like it without completely killing it. :(

Thank you everyone for your opinions so far. They have been very helpful. :) And thank you to those that chimed in with sympathies. :)

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
If anyone is interested in visual reference... here I am with bangs. This was in 2009.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad351/ashmey86/Hair/6828_104222799588455_100000022069649_115415_120749 9_n.jpg

spookyghost
May 14th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Ok, those that are saying no.... can anyone tell me how to achieve a softer look when I have my hair pulled back in my hair sticks? It just looks so harsh to me because my hair is so thin, and I always want to wear my hair down because of it. I have tried pulling a few stray hairs out from the sides of the bun to kind of frame my face and make it seem less harsh, but I dont think that quite does it either.

And there is the problem with volume... how to achieve it without heat and styling products. All the pictures (except for the length photo) in my album are me after I have styled my hair with product/heat. They are fairly old photos. If only I could figure out what to do with my hair to get it how I like it without completely killing it. :(

Thank you everyone for your opinions so far. They have been very helpful. :) And thank you to those that chimed in with sympathies. :)

Unfortunately I have no suggestions for your hair when you wear it up because I almost always wear mine down. I have stopped using heat, cones, and I am as gentle as I can be with my hair but I almost always wear it down. Except for when I am working out because it gets in my face. Thats the one thing I cant do to help my hair-wear it up in protective do's to protect the ends:( I love my hair down and I just enjoy it so much like that. Hopefully someone with great up-do expertise will join in!;)

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Spookyghost. :) I love wearing mine down as well, but it gets so hot where I live that I need to keep it off my neck in the summer.

Changling
May 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I always liked messy buns/claw up-dos for a soft, voluminous look. Try to encourage some curl (plopping/scrunching), then just sort of scoop all your hair up without combing it. That's how I made it look fuller when I had longer hair.

I always pulled long strands around my temples about the size of a quarter at the base away from my up-dos to frame my face...again, encouraging wave/curl is good here.

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thank you, Changling. I will give your suggestions a go and see what happens. I have never tried scrunching or plopping before (though I probably should since there is a slight wave in my hair).

AcornMystic
May 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I feel you, Shutterpillar, boy do I. I have a big forehead too, and I know people notice because my mother pointed it out to me one day, just musing. I had blunt bangs when I first joined LHC, as can be seen in my album. I loved how they shortened my face and made me look more playful. I also have an underbite and a pointy chin, so it doesn't help at all. It elongates my face even more and I usually hold my jaw ajar in an attempt to line up my upper and lower jaws.

I will say though... I have a cowlick on the side of my forehead. The curl it posseses is enough to mess up any blunt bangs without having to flat iron it. You see that little wispy bit of hair on the side of my face in my avatar; that's the bugger I'm talking about. That's its natural curl. That thing, around my eyebrow height, is the devil, and even now, having grown it out to my cheek (that's where it will allow itself to sit even though it's actually a little longer than that) still tends to have a mind off its own from the hair around it. I'm the kinda person that prefers low maintenance, so I just couldn't keep it, washing it every day (I also suffer from the greasies.. my greasiness is quite waxie). I was also trying to move away from heat, but I just didn't have the straight hair to enjoy bangs without heat styling them.

I'm not totally sad though. I have clip in blunt bangs from my wedding that I can wear. I'll be able to wear them when I do an updo and want to make it a soft look. I may even get some side-swept clip-in bangs to go with my blunt ones. That is the one suggestion that I can give you. To leave all this complicated thinking aside weighing the pros and cons and make it simple. You can even wash clip in extensions or dye them if you ever feel the need. Whatever you do though, I hope you enjoy it.:)

ETA: You look so cute with bangs! You can definitely rock them and they do give you a softer look. I still suggest clip-ins though. That way you don't lose thickness that you desperately need since you are thin-haired and you can still enjoy bang of your own design when it suits you (blunt, side-swept etc)

cfreya
May 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I think my main problem is that since joining LHC, I have this irrational fear of cutting my hair. LOL. I want it long and beautiful like all of these ladies, so I dont want to cut any of it. I also see all these women with lovely hair that are able to stretch their washes for days, and I SO wish I could do that. I just need to keep in mind that everyone is different and I am just not able to follow the crowd with that one.

Thank you, cfreya. I am glad there is someone else in my shoes that feels the same way about their hair. Yours is lovely, by the way. :)

Thank you very much, I just looked at your albums, you don't have a big forehead at all! Honestly you look so much better than I do with no fringe:p

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 01:17 PM
We are our own worst critics. ;)

longNred
May 14th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I think you should get some clip in bangs and try it out for a while. bangs w/out the commitment. personally, I think you look fantastic w/out the bangs. at least with clip in ones, you can just wear them when you need to soften an updo.

spookyghost
May 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
You really do rock bangs! You look great with and without bangs-thats awesome. I guess its just on what you prefer. But dont forget that hair is meant to be enjoyed and if you decide to cut your bangs and then miss them-they'll grow back. At least you like them both ways. I wish my bangs looked as good as yours!;)

summergreen
May 14th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Looked in album, with/without bangs both look good - I think you should do whichever you feel happier with and not worry about having to heat style them and whatever (if you do choose bangs) because the main thing is to enjoy your hair!

AmandaKoiter
May 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
I agree..... DON'T!!! I have had these very same battles off and on for years and every time I cave and cut bangs, I like them for a few days and then hate hate hate. Just think about the nightmare of trying to grow them out once you decide you don't want them anymore.

shutterpillar
May 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Amanda, i have been doing that off and on for years except i've never hated them. I have always liked my bangs, and I dont mind not having them either. Just with this new hair care routine I have picked up, it is a little awkward to not have them. lol.

I still have no idea what I will do. I'll try a few different things suggested on this thread first regarding the volume and trying to find a softer look when I have my hair pulled back, then I will make my decision.

Thank you so much for your replies so far, everyone. They have been very helpful. :)

LoveAngelBeauty
May 14th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I think you could go either or :) whatever makes you happy

kindacowboy
May 14th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I think you really want bangs and now that we are on this thread I do to. So I am going to fetch the scissors....

Johanna
May 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Is it possible to do a temporary fringe with clip in bangs for a while? At least then you can trial it and see if you're enjoying the look without the commitment. I'm considering getting a set for myself just to have a bit of fun :)

DarkSky
May 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Is it possible to do a temporary fringe with clip in bangs for a while? At least then you can trial it and see if you're enjoying the look without the commitment. I'm considering getting a set for myself just to have a bit of fun :)

Where do you get these? This thread it making me want my bangs back too :) I also have a high forehead (although I do think yours, shutterpillar, looks fine) and I struggle with the side swept long bang every day. :headache:

Johanna
May 14th, 2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Hairdo-Clip-In-Bangs-Jessica-Simpson/dp/B004IM8IB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337051550&sr=8-1

I found these on amazon, they've got quite a few different colours too. Right now I'm realising how overpriced Australia is, these go for $45 in stores here :/

shutterpillar
May 15th, 2012, 04:44 AM

I suppose I could, but right now my biggest reason for holding back isnt so much my fear of not enjoying the look - I know I like how I look in bangs, as I have had them quite a few times in the past - I am just wary about cutting them because I have never had them with this new hair routine. I am not sure how they will play out when I do CO washings since my hair is already oil-prone and when I CO I have noticed that it looks a bit more oily and limp by the end of the day, compared to washing with shampoo and conditioner. I would probably have to shampoo and condition my bangs only, then CO the rest of my hair.

:shrug: this thread has definitely given me a lot to think about and try before I decide to cut them. Though I am not sure the clip-in stuff is for me.

SnowWhite
May 15th, 2012, 04:54 AM
You look pretty with AND without bangs...
If you really like them you should do it! That´s the most important thing It guess...

joflakes
May 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
You're gorgeous without. Which probably means you could work them as well! Haha.

The way I could tell if I should get them was, what do I do with the hair in the front? For me, I used to just french braid it up out the way and it was annoying. So I got bangs.

Would recommend the fake bangs though! :)

BlondieHepburn
May 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'd been considering bangs for months, and was terrified of both the change in look and the cut itself. Finally I gathered up the courage to do it, and it has totally changed my outlook on my appearance. I feel younger and happier with my hair. I cut them about 1 month ago and haven't regretted it for a second. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93222) is my thread, if you want to see the difference in my look.

As for your cons, let's see:

- my hair gets greasy very easily, so I would need to wash my hair (or at least my bangs) daily. I have never used dry shampoo, so I am not sure if it would work well for me.

I use an inexpensive dry shampoo that works quite well if my hair isn't extraordinarily oily.

- my bangs are actually past my chin now from the last time I cut them. If I did decide to cut them and I didn't like them, then it would probably be another year before they are back to where they are now.

It can be annoying to grow them out, but with the use of cute little braids and hairpins, it's not bad. And if you absolutely loved them wear they are now, you wouldn't be considering cutting them.

- bangs in my face when I exercise. I can put them back with a headband, but they always seem to slip out.

Cute little braids and hairpins.

- maintenance

Water, dry shampoo, a comb, hairpins.

Bangs are certainly not for everyone, but I'd say that if you've considered it for over 2 weeks, and still want to, then do it. It's hair, it grows back, enjoy it.

Good luck! :)

cremenoir
May 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I went through the same dilemma recently and ended up going with bangs, and although they can be a pain at times (exercising, like you mentioned) overall I'm really glad I did it. I grew them out for a year and a half wondering when I would start liking how it looked, which turned out to be never, haha so I went for it.

I do have to wash them more often, but I find I can stretch washes for the rest of my hair that way because when my bangs look clean, the rest of my hair looks much better. I use dry shampoo too, it's a lifesaver when I don't have time to wash. The non-aerosol kind isn't bad for your hair.

I would say if you're going to heat-style the front of your hair everyday anyway, it's probably better to have bangs, because at least then any damage will be trimmed off in a few weeks. But I think you'd look equally pretty with or without.

Also, if you're having issues with CO, have you tried leaving the conditioner on longer? It seems like that would make it greasier, but it doesn't. I leave mine on my scalp for about 5 minutes before rinsing, and rinse thoroughly with really warm water. I've found that this really helps keep the grease at bay.

Macaroni
May 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I vote for bangs for all the pros you listed.

Have you tried shampooing your bangs with Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo? It's very inexpensive and you might be able to go two days without shampooing your bangs. Just a thought.

shutterpillar
May 15th, 2012, 02:23 PM
- maintenance

Water, dry shampoo, a comb, hairpins.

I was talking more about needing to trim them every 3-4 weeks since my hair grows quickly, lol.

And if you dont mind, could you please tell me which dry shampoo you use?

Same goes for the rest of you that commented about dry shampoo.

BlondieHepburn
May 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I was talking more about needing to trim them every 3-4 weeks since my hair grows quickly, lol.

And if you dont mind, could you please tell me which dry shampoo you use?

Same goes for the rest of you that commented about dry shampoo.

I use Klorane oatmeal dry shampoo because it is the cheapest I can find in Paris.
As for trimming, I totally understand. I'm having to trim every 1.5 weeks. But it's worth it to me. :shrug:

shutterpillar
May 15th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I totally didnt see that you were from Paris. That might be a bit of a conflict then, since I live in the US! lol. Though I'm sure I can find something similar and equally as inexpensive here.

terylenerose
May 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Before you read this, keep in mind that my hairtype is really far away from yours and I've never seriously had bangs. I'm also biased toward no bangs. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.
As others have said, you don't need bangs. No one does, of course, because this need is based solely on opinion. Yes, trust me, it is. But especially in your case, because your forehead really isn't that high. It's not like half of your scalp is forehead.
Also, we don't have any pictures of you wearing updos. (Of course, maybe you have some here that I haven't seen, in which case I will be :o.) If we did, then we could get a better idea of whether you "need" bangs. As with the aforementioned fake bangs, which will also never get greasy as would real hair.
One question, too - if your hair is fine, why is it listed as coarse? :)

shutterpillar
May 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Before you read this, keep in mind that my hairtype is really far away from yours and I've never seriously had bangs. I'm also biased toward no bangs. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.
As others have said, you don't need bangs. No one does, of course, because this need is based solely on opinion. Yes, trust me, it is. But especially in your case, because your forehead really isn't that high. It's not like half of your scalp is forehead.
Also, we don't have any pictures of you wearing updos. (Of course, maybe you have some here that I haven't seen, in which case I will be :o.) If we did, then we could get a better idea of whether you "need" bangs. As with the aforementioned fake bangs, which will also never get greasy as would real hair.
One question, too - if your hair is fine, why is it listed as coarse? :)

Yes, I have been waiting for someone to mention that. Can it not be fine AND coarse? I guess that is where I am confused. When I read the hairtyping article, it said that if I put my hair between my fingers and rolled it around, it would be categorized as coarse if I could hear it. I did so, and I could hear my hair when I rolled it between my fingers. Maybe it is just dry due to all the heat and dye damage? Perhaps I should have said I have thin hair? But to me, when I say I have thin hair that means the quantity of my hair. I do have a lot of hair, it is just fine (and apparently it is also coarse, according to the article). There was no F/C option when I went to choose my type, so I chose Coarse over Fine. Should I not have done that? Can you clear this up for me?

About having pictures of my updos - I have posted one here before. It was my first hairstick bun, but it was a picture of the back of my head, so I don't think it could have given you an accurate view in which to make a decision about whether or not you think I need bangs. (Also, the upload feature in the photo albums has not been working for over a month now, so I have not been able to upload any recent updo or length photos).

I agree.... no one NEEDS bangs, but some people - such as myself - feel a little less self conscious when they have them. In fact, I usually do feel more confident with them, but I really did want to avoid cutting them if I could find a different solution to give my hair more volume and make my updos less harsh looking. *I* feel they look harsh, and that is enough for me because I am uncomfortable with my appearance when I wear them. People can tell me I look nice until the cows come home, but if I don't FEEL nice, then its pointless.

beachgirlla
May 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
shutterpillar: you have beautiful face and big expressive eyes, you can look good in both bang or no bang, I feel your pain, I'm in same dilemma, but I do not have big forehead to cover but I thought I will look softer with a bang, but I dread cutting my bang, I hardly made my hair healthier for the last 5 month since I joined this forum and my bang now is 1 inch below my jaw line, I do not think I can deal with the daily maintenance of the bang.
You do not have big forehead, your face is balanced out beautifully, you can style your hair in a way to cover part of the forehead if it bothers you that much, like side swept or something like that, LOL, I vote mostly for no bang.
I do not see think hair at all, heck do I have eyes problems or what, I see very beautiful hair and face, LOL, also the red hair looked amazing on you :), may be you can do henna, this will thicken your hair around 30% that if you have fine & thin hair which I do not see in your pics :)
Keep us updated.

shutterpillar
May 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Thank you, beachgirlla. I do think I am able to pull off both styles, and I really love that about my face shape which is why I am trying so hard to find a happy medium.

I agree though... growing out bangs is a pain, which is one reason why I want to be absolutely sure that I want them before I cut them.

I would love to do henna, but I am worried that the upkeep would be too much for me. I am also looking very forward to having completely virgin hair. :) (probably in 5+ years lol).

beachgirlla
May 15th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I would love to do henna, but I am worried that the upkeep would be too much for me. I am also looking very forward to having completely virgin hair. :) (probably in 5+ years lol).

Right now i do the henna every 3 weeks as I started getting some gray hair :(, I got used to it and I actually look forward to it, the more I do it the less time consuming it takes, my hair was damaged and i still have the damage hair only the first 4 inches are virgin and healthy, the rest are dry and damaged, can't do anything about it now until it grows past my waist then I will do some big trim. But you seem to have pretty good hair, not sure what your natural hair color, if its dark then you do not need much up keep, you can do it as often as you want or every few months its up to you :)
Thanks for your comments on my scrunchies, lol, I love them, they help me doing some nice updos

battles
May 15th, 2012, 06:42 PM
From my own experience: My hair is about 3" and F/M and I find that my bangs are still very thin looking. It seems that they become greasy and kind of stringy looking by the end of the day. It's really not something I enjoy, which is why I'm trying to grow mine out now. There is absolutely no way I can go 2 days in a row without washing my bangs. Not a chance.

If your hair (or skin) is naturally oily, they'll probably tend to do the same thing.

I also must add that you look lovely without bangs. :D

bumblebums
May 15th, 2012, 08:00 PM
1. It is better to regret something you did do than something you did not do. (that's a vote for bangs :) )

2. I am considering the same dilemma right now, and I am frankly leaning towards no bangs... My hair is wavier than yours, so caveat emptor applies. But whenever I've had bangs, they were such a pain in the a$$ that I ended up growing them out. I live in a humid climate, and even loose hairs around the hairline annoy me when they cling to my skin. So I can't imagine what it would feel like to have hair on my forehead all the time.

Plus I don't want to look like an imitation Katy Perry/Zooey Dechanel.

3. A compromise: I know others have mentioned it before, but have you looked at clip in bangs? There are both real hair ones and synthetic ones for sale, not to expensive.

HumanBean
May 15th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi. I had bangs all my life growing up, then grew them out because my husband asked me to. After being without for years, I decided to cut them back in. I do heat style them everyday.

I will definitely keep them now that I am doing updos. Otherwise I just look way too matronly/severe (but then I'm in my 40s). I may grow them a little longer and more sideswept than my current blunt look.

Anyway, I don't think you should be turned off by the maintainance of them. I don't need to wash my bangs everyday, but I do need to wash them more often than the rest of my length, and really it only takes an extra minute in the shower. And a quick blow dry after with a styling brush and you are done. I really ignore the heat rules with bangs!

luckyshot
May 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I will never be without bangs. I just feel like they add something softer to my look. I have a large forehead too, and I just feel like I look better with them. It sounds to me like you also like having bangs, and so I'm in the yes camp.

I really don't find maintenance to be an issue. But I have to wash my hair at least every second day. I've never been able to stretch washes. Partly because I have very oily skin, and partly because I work in a pretty dirty environment and my hair just gets yucky if it isn't washed. If the rest of my hair looks good and my bangs look greasy I just tie my hair back and wash the bangs. I also like dry shampoo. I heat style my bangs most days, it's great to be able to play with them without worrying about damage. I also do my own trims, it's pretty easy for me since I just cut them straight across. And if I mess up I just pin them back for a few weeks and they've usually grown out far enough to look good again.

As far as exercise goes, I just pin them back and have never had an issue. If I'm going to be doing something really strenuous I will braid them back into the rest of my hair.

This is the dry shampoo I use right now. I've also used Klorane and it works good as well. I didn't like the Got2Be stuff, it left a lot of residue and didn't seem to suck up much oil.
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod1450308
One thing about dry shampoo, if you have dark hair you may want to look into a darker tinted dry shampoo. I have dark blonde roots and I have to do a lot of brushing with my BBB to blend it in. An added bonus is that it helps blend my grown out roots with my bleached ends, lol.

shutterpillar
May 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM
3. A compromise: I know others have mentioned it before, but have you looked at clip in bangs? There are both real hair ones and synthetic ones for sale, not to expensive.

I had mentioned earlier in this thread that I did not think clip-in bangs are for me. I have used extensions before, and the whole time I was wearing them I just felt uncomfortable and fake. I know a lot of people I have met LOVE extensions, and its actually getting to the point where I second guess who actually has real hair when I meet them. LOL. They arent for me though.

shutterpillar
May 16th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Luckyshot - I was wondering about the coloring of the dry shampoo and whether or not it would blend with my hair. My natural color is a dark ashy brown. Right now it is more of an auburn color (except for at my roots) due to dying my hair red back in March.

bumblebums
May 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Luckyshot - I was wondering about the coloring of the dry shampoo and whether or not it would blend with my hair. My natural color is a dark ashy brown. Right now it is more of an auburn color (except for at my roots) due to dying my hair red back in March.

Some people use cornstarch mixed with cocoa powder for dark hair. I haven't tried it myself.

ravenheather
May 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I've used cocoa powder alone. It worked pretty well. I'm doing water only in between shampoos to stretch washes currently though.

I had the same dilemma as you do. My pony is only 2 though. I decided to grow out the bangs for more thickness and to avoid heat styling. I think you look great either way, so really it's more about what you want to deal with and how you are the most comfortable. I know big help.

luckyshot
May 16th, 2012, 08:43 PM
My roots are more of a dark ashy blonde, or light ashy brown (blondette I guess), and with the white dry shampoo I have to do a bit of brushing but it blends. With darker hair I think you could get it to blend with more brushing, and only using a little bit at a time. But something like this would probably work for you.
http://www.folica.com/hair-care/dry-shampoos/ambiance-brunette-volumizing-dry-shampoo

Faux
May 16th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I personally don't like bangs on people with long hair. I have seen a few people who could pull it off though. But as always, its up to you. You could also try clip on bangs to see if you like the look.

fairystar32
May 17th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I think you look great with or without ;) I personally love bangs and HAVE to have them myself as my face is really round. If I grow them out, it makes my face look even rounder, so I need them too break the shape up...