PDA

View Full Version : I've been pretty lucky up until my Vacation....

AspenSong
May 13th, 2012, 10:10 PM
As far as getting negative hair comments. =P
I obviously ignored anything I heard, but it's still irksome!
My brother upon giving me a hug one night, started in on what was a surprisingly candid commentary on me cutting my hair. It went from how it's just too long, to what am I going to do next, turn it all into dreadlocks and be a hippie? To him telling me how much better I'd look with one of those short cuts that's shorter in the back that all the women wear now (I'm guessing he's talking a stacked bob and heck no I wouldn't look good in one!) to berating me for having my hair long and keeping it up all the time and what was the use in that. Then he added in a few "You really should cut it, it's just too long" side comments. lol. I just told him to zip his lip since it's my hair and as much as I love him, he can just deal with his opinions since it's on my head.
My grandma was the same way....Last time she saw me it was BSL and she just can't understand why I want it like this again. (She was co-conspirator in hounding me about cutting it when it was TB length many years ago). Just sad that something like hair can bother some people that much!!
However, credit goes to my MIL who was with me and who stuck up for me and repeatedly talked about how beautiful she thought my hair was. :blossom:

On another good note - I was forced to get some of the new L'Oreal Ever Sleek cone-free conditioner while I was in TN visiting, because I couldn't find ANY V05 or any of the cone free conditioners I use - and sadly and happily, I LOVE it. Sadly because I just can't make myself spend $7 on a small bottle of conditioner the way I go through it. But happy because my hair is lovely on it. :)

DakarNick
May 13th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear they keep hounding you. My dad does that to DW but I give him an evil look. Just because he likes short hair on women doesn't mean I or DW does!

Hello from Parker/Lone Tree!

Phexlyn
May 14th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear your family keeps bugging you with your hair length. I've had it off and on again with my mother, so I try to keep it up around her as she absolutely hates my thin ends. She doesn't object to updos generally, though, so you're in a far worse position than me.
Your MIL is great for sticking up for you!!

I just took a look at your album and I think your hair looks perfectly fine, silky and healthy. Some people just don't understand that having long hair can be a personal decision without the need to show it off to others all the time (although there's nothing wrong with that either). I hope they will just shut up about it and leave you be. :flower:

hellucy
May 14th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous in your album pic's, silky, shiny & healthy, everything long hair should be.
Don't let your brother get you down what you do with your hair is entirely up to you & as long as you are happy with your hair then nothing he says is of any importance to you.
He can have his opinions - but he should keep them to himself as they are neither asked for or wanted.

Charybdis
May 14th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Give that MIL of yours a hug, AspenSong! Sounds like time for a little boundary-setting with your family. Make sure they understand that their opinions of your hair are none of your business. ;)

Tota
May 14th, 2012, 04:20 AM
Your hair is beautiful. Ignore them.

I used to have to listen to similar comments from my mum, grandmum and my best friend. I told them all that to me my hair is not a fashion accessory but a part of my body and that I intend to treat it that way as long as it's healthy. I also added that to me people who are bothered by other people's hair are sad, pathetic and shallow. Now I just try to keep my hair in an updo or a braid when I'm around people who are bothered by it and that's that ;)

summergreen
May 14th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Just looked in your album and you have beautiful hair - I can't believe anyone could find anything negative to say about it!!

FireFromWithin
May 14th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I have a similar problem with my mum. She doesn't normally comment unless I mention my hair or wear it down and I can see her looking at it with this specific look and I can just tell that she's biting her lip. But it all evens out because my friends always comment on how lucky I am to have long hair (to me it's not that long at BSL but many of them are trying to grow out horribly heat damaged hair) and my boyfriends always looks half panicked whenever I joke about cutting it.
Although the look on my mum's face when she saw me putting oil in it was a picture.
You just have to focus on the good comments and ignore all the people who don't understand

silverpiper
May 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I don't think this is so much about hair as it is about control. I meet lots of people whose hair styles I really don't like but I would never dream of telling another adult what they should be doing with their hair.

jacqueline101
May 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Your hair is beautiful don't cut it to please them. If I was you I'd tell them its my hair and I want it long.

Sisgoldenhair65
May 14th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Ohmigosh, I LOVE your hair and it's exactly the length I hope to be this time next year!! Wear it proud, girl....it looks great on you!!

LoveAngelBeauty
May 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Great hair :)

AspenSong
May 15th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Well thank you all for the incredibly kind comments... *blush*

Oh, don't worry....my hair isn't going anywhere as far as I'm concerned! I just brushed my Gma off because she's getting older and there's no use in arguing with her anyway. My brother, I just let him know it's my hair and I'll do with it what I want anyway. lol
I've taken the peer pressure road and cut before and I will NOT be doing it again. On one hand while I don't care what they think, it's also flustering that it's such a big deal to them and they can have such strong opinions about it.....I mean, it's HAIR! I got less flack from my family when it had blue streaks in it and dyed it every other day!
And I get so dang tired of the comments in general about why I have it long if I wear it up all the time. I TRY to wear my hair down at times and it's so fine that unless it's oiled to a point it LOOKS oily, it's just all over the place like a spiderweb and tangled horribly. I just don't have the hair type that can deal with being down *shrug*.

Oh people.....lol

AspenSong
May 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
And I Do have a great MIL! I felt bad for her, she was trying so hard I felt like to get my Gma to compliment me, telling her how pretty my hair was, or how she thought I had great eyebrows because they framed my eyes so well....just very nice things...but that part of the family is just not ones to tell you things like that! haha.