PDA

View Full Version : What would you take with you?

DreamingLong
July 28th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I asked this question about 3 years ago................

If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island for 1 year and you could only take 1 hair item with you what would it be and why?

OhioLisa
July 28th, 2008, 08:13 PM
v05 condish, since it is basically all I ever use on my hair anyway. ;)

walkinglady
July 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Conditioner and lots of it! Shampoo would be nice but I can cleanse without it. Comb would be great but my fingers will do. Oil would be missed but not the end of the world. A thick twig could replace a hair stick. Bottom line, I just couldn't replace that ever loved conditioner, how would I get the tangles out and help keep it moist!

Anje
July 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I want an elastic, so I can secure the end of my braid!

I figure I can go WO, I can manage fingercombing (though a real comb works better), but I have to get the hair back and out of my way.

Are there coconuts on this island, by any chance? Items two and three would be oil and sticks. I also might want a bandana or hat, but I'm not considering it a hair item, since the main purpose would be to prevent me from burning my scalp.

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I also vote conditioner and alot of it! I'd hope for head and shoulders conditioner (which amazingly is wonderful on my hair) or aussie 3 min. miracle.

Before i opened the thread, it just saying 'if you could bring one thing with you', the first thing i thought was...
A HOT SEXY MAN!!! lolllllll

DeepRiver
July 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I would have to vote for 3 minute miracle condish....although the pp "Hot Sexy Man" is more than welcome to come along also!!

Chromis
July 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Fresh water!

PseudoScot
July 28th, 2008, 09:24 PM
[Horn] comb. If I can't comb it, after awhile I'll be chewing it off! I figure I can fashion a hair tie out of a thin strip of some sort of plant life.

aprilmay
July 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
If I were stuck on an island or in the woods without the tools necessary for hair care, then I might consider chopping it off. I think I would want a good leatherman or swiss army knife so that option could remain available.

Fortunately, I am in a civilized place with brushes, combs, hair forks, shampoo, and conditioner. Of course, I am on the hunt for better brushes, a wide tooth, sturdy comb, great shampoo and the perfect conditioner. I don't feel the need to cut my hair at this time.

RavenDream
July 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Conditioner. I can use it to cleanse my hair and also smooth it on my skin as a light moisturizer.

julya
July 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM
I would want a nice hair stick. I wear one basically everyday, and would be lost without them!

If I could bring two items, then I would want a comb. Finger detangling is a pain for me.

Cinnamon.locks
July 29th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Just one thing? for a year? on a desert island?

Unless i find that the shea butter i will buy works wonders......i would say conditioner, lots and lots of conditioner. best thing ever invented. could not live without conditioner, hair would become fried and tangled and completely unmanegable.

But if mix i read about works, ( mix of Shea Butter, Oil and Aloe Vera Gel. ) then i would take gallons of this mix, since it can be used for hair and skin. it is supposed to be ultra moisturizing for hair and skin. so right now before trying the shea butter mix i'll go with conditioner.

paper
July 29th, 2008, 04:36 AM
I would have to say conditioner. It would clean my hair and make it soft enough to finger comb it.

anna1850
July 29th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I would want a brush. At first I was thinking of a Ficcare but I could always put it into plaits or tie it in a knot to keep it out the way, but without brushing my hair would be horrible and fingercombing just isn't enough for me.

I wouldn't take a bottle of conditioner or anything because they would run out too soon. I suppose you could always do a coconut milk soak :)

Chrissy
July 29th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I'm assuming this means anything not just hair related? If it means anything it would be my Bible. I'd be lost without it.

WavyGirl
July 29th, 2008, 07:01 AM
A horn comb.

I know WO doesn't agree with me because my scalp gets upset, but I'd have nothing better to do than scritch and wash daily which should help. Then the rest of my time woud be spent weaving hats and fashioning sticks and forks to hold my hair. Being trapped on this island will, of course, make me fantastically arty and able to create masterpieces of design. ;)

Lady Godiva
July 29th, 2008, 07:06 AM
One hair item? I'd choose one of my plastic combs for detangling.

I still could wash in a stream or waterfall, and I could fashion a hair stick out of a thin branch for styling my hair into an Infinity Bun.

MusingFrog
July 29th, 2008, 07:09 AM
My widetoothed comb. Everything else I would need I could find on the island.

JessTheMess
July 29th, 2008, 07:14 AM
definitely conditioner!

Elleyena
July 29th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I would have to say a horn comb. I could find ways to make conditioner and other hair care items, but I need my comb!

bex487
July 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I would say conditioner as well, because hopefully if I had a one-year supply my hair wouldn't be too awful by the time I got back to civilization!

TammySue
July 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM
My Kent Comb.

Meli
July 29th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I don't know - either a hairstick or my S&D scissors. Probably my scissors, because if there are trees or bushes on the island I could make a hairstick from a twig - I wouldn't need to bring any hairstick then. And if this is not an option, I could still get my hair out of the way by braiding it and secure the braid by weaving the ends back up - no hairtoys needed at all. I don't need any commercial products, I can do well with WO or even NW/SO. The latter would probably be my routine if no oil sources (I'm thinking coconuts here) were present on the island - then I would preen a lot to get my sebum down to my ends instead. And even though I prefer to smooth my hair with a comb, I don't actually need it - fingercombing is enough to detangle and also works for preening. So yeah, my hair would probably be fine with only my S&D scissors.

Shanarana
July 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Interesting question....assuming that it is a lush island than perhaps there would be coconuts there? Maybe some other nice things that can be put on the hair. I guess for me I would have to choose conditioner as well.

DarkChocolate
July 29th, 2008, 09:14 AM
conditioner because islands tend to get dry:)

burns_erin
July 29th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I don't know - either a hairstick or my S&D scissors. Probably my scissors, because if there are trees or bushes on the island I could make a hairstick from a twig - I wouldn't need to bring any hairstick then. And if this is not an option, I could still get my hair out of the way by braiding it and secure the braid by weaving the ends back up - no hairtoys needed at all. I don't need any commercial products, I can do well with WO or even NW/SO. The latter would probably be my routine if no oil sources (I'm thinking coconuts here) were present on the island - then I would preen a lot to get my sebum down to my ends instead. And even though I prefer to smooth my hair with a comb, I don't actually need it - fingercombing is enough to detangle and also works for preening. So yeah, my hair would probably be fine with only my S&D scissors.

I second the S&D scissors. I have never tried going WO but I would prefer the greasies to not being able to S&D. And, a deserted island seems like the perfect place to go through WO transition. Plus, if you expect to be alive on this deserted ilsland, there are probably plants, otherwise you'd die so who cares about hair anyway. So, I would imagine with all the "free" time you would have plenty of time to experiment. I think testing plants as a hair care product makes an acceptable substitute for the forarm test for allergies.

Periwinkle
July 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I'd want an elastic, but they always break...either some really, really strong elastic thing, or a comb/brush.

Anathema
July 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I'd definately take a hair stick with me. Having my hair down or even in braid/s are not for me when it's warm. Also, I could practice updo's alot with just a hair stick!

WritingPrincess
July 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
A hair band. I can do WO, although it's not my best look. I can finger comb. I could probably make myself a hairstick with my pocketknife and a stick. And I'll bet I'd have a lot of fun (assuming my mom was with me--she's an herbalist) experimenting with plants and stuff. Coconuts?

wintersun99
July 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM
If you were going to be stuck on a deserted island for 1 year and you could only take 1 hair item with you what would it be and why?

I would want a Buff. I get headaches from the sun so the Buff would double as sun protection and hair protection. I would do a WO wash and a braid. I am assuming that the island is tropical and thus, lots of nice things to put on the hair and to eat/drink (like coconut milk) :)

harpgal
July 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Well, I imagine a desert island to have coconut trees, so there would be conditioner. A hairstick could be made out of practically anything. Even a hat could be made from something there and also some kind of tie for the end of a braid. The one thing that I don't think I could make would be my comb (Madora). That would have to be the one thing I take with me.

thankyousir74
July 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
A scrunchie. I cant stand my loose hair on my sweaty neck. (wow after a year I wonder how long it will be! (and how bad shape it would be in >_<))

Angellen
July 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM
For me, I would say a good hairstick/hairfork probably. Oh! One of those Cygnus Baerreis forks (7 prong or so). Then it would double as fork AND comb. That would be ideal, I think. :)

bohemian
July 29th, 2008, 01:26 PM
The one hair tool I'd take (like alot of ppl I noticed:D) is conditioner!! And a lot of it ideally enough to last me the year.

Isilme
July 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
S&D scissors, and a knife if I could. I could make good hairsticks and even a comb of I had a knife, time wouldn't be a problem so I could practice as much as I would like and try to find some plants to replace shampoo and conditioner.

xrosiex
July 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Being stranded on a island for a year. I think I would take my wide tooth comb. I would use wo. And maybe there would be lots of coconut trees.:)

RedRose
July 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I think i would take a comb, for the tangles! Actually, could someone arrange for me to be put on this desert island? It would definitely break my dye-cycle, and if there are coconuts there too I could come out with some amazing virgin hair after a year....!

ChatoyantLocks
July 29th, 2008, 08:06 PM
My brush. I could probably make do without everything else, but trying to untangle my hair by hand would be beyond annoying.

Aisha25
July 29th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Coconut oil!:Smile:

Speedbump
July 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
A ficcare. I can fingercomb just fine and only a ficcare can comfortably hold my hair up for any length of time. It is also the only hairtoy I would be very sure wouldn't break before the time on the island was up. :lol:

Little_Bird
July 30th, 2008, 05:50 AM
This is the most dificult question...

I think I could manage to tie my hair with something made from plants ? (am I cheatting hehe)

I think the most important for me would be conditioner... I just can't live without it hehe... Specially on a deserted island, full of sun and salt water. I'd have to take tons of conditioner... TONS!

That's what I would take with me =P

eresh
July 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Palmolive antitangle creme

Split branches can serve as combing tool (or my fingers), braided grasses or other natural materials can be made into ribbon/band to tie a ponytail with, a small branch can be used as hairstick, so really all I would need is the Palmolive :-)

sipnsun
July 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM
My coconut oil for sure!

trolleypup
July 30th, 2008, 02:11 PM
My scissors for S&D. I could fake everything else I use.

danacc
August 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Scissors for S&D gets my vote, too. It would help keep my hair in shape, and help pass the time, too.

For the rest, I think I could find a substitute, or a way to get along without it.

Lixie
August 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Another vote for S&D scissors. If I'm alone on this island for a year, I can deal with not washing my hair and finger combing is a pain for me but doable. Assuming I have my penknife with me, I could make my own hairsticks/hair ties out of natural materials on the island.

sahiba
August 3rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Fresh water for me too. Can't live with dirty hair.

Ndnlady
August 3rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
This is a hard one! I would have to say my coconut oil though because I would want to make sure my hair is moisturized in the frying sun.

yldchyld
August 4th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I asked this question about 3 years ago................

razors. Shave myself bald. Hope I have a hat.

willowcandra
August 4th, 2008, 01:53 AM
a rake comb. I seriousely cannot detangle with my fingers- ouch and snap. I could use sticks for sticks and twine to tie.

Cinnia
August 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM
As many before me, I would bring my favorite conditioner.
Hopefully I would be able to clarify before I left ( not totally conefree as for now) and with my fab conditioner I would need no brush, products or treatments.