PDA

View Full Version : Bobby pins damage?

lilliemer
May 13th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Just wondering if bobby pins are considered to be damaging to the hair? I'm trying my best to avoid any possible damage, have given up hair elastics entirely, and would like to know if I need to worry about bobby pins too. I usually use them to pin up the parts of my hair that overhang my face for a half-up and to hold buns in place. I have tried the mini-claw clips but the hold from bobby pins seems more secure and feels better especially for working out. A flexi-8 is on its way to me as well...

thanks!

Annibelle
May 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM
When I'm not very careful, bobby pins pull out my hair, so I'm sure they can be damaging. I use them sometimes, anyway. Just try to be careful. I've found that the ones without grippy stuff on the ends come out of hair easier, so maybe they're less damaging.

Madora
May 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
No, bobby pins are not damaging to your hair, provided that you are careful inserting them and when taking them out.

They can be damaging if you resort to criss crossing them (X) to hold up hair. One pin may be all right, but double pins can put too much pressure on one spot.

Be sure that the ends of your bobby pins are tipped with a covering. Bobby pins that are "naked" can scrape your scalp.

earthnut
May 13th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Anything that pulls on your hair can damage your hair. That includes combs, brushes, elastics, bobbie pins, barrettes, fingers, anything really that touches your hair.

However, all of the above can also be used carefully and gently so that they don't pull on your hair, and are therefore not damaging.

It's not the products you use, it's how you use them.

holothuroidea
May 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I disagree that bobby pins do not cause damage. I was always very careful inserting and removing them, but I wore them in the same place every day (to pin my fringe back while growing it out), and the hair would break right off where I put the pins. It took weeks of me moving the pin closer and closer to my part to keep the hairs back until I realized what was going on.

I'm currently growing out the resulting cockatoo crest.

It really depends on your hair type. Some people have iron strands, and some have candy floss. If you do not have very strong hair, I would only use bobby pins for special occasions and definitely not for every day.

jacqueline101
May 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Make sure you exercise caution when you use them take them out and apply them. I'd look for the ones with the rubber tips and don't cris cross them. That's how hair gets broken the pressure in one area.

JellyBene
May 13th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I feel like bobby pins do damage my hair. I often accidentally snap hairs when removing (and sometimes inserting) the pins.

Phexlyn
May 14th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I disagree that bobby pins do not cause damage. I was always very careful inserting and removing them, but I wore them in the same place every day (to pin my fringe back while growing it out), and the hair would break right off where I put the pins. It took weeks of me moving the pin closer and closer to my part to keep the hairs back until I realized what was going on.

I'm currently growing out the resulting cockatoo crest.

It really depends on your hair type. Some people have iron strands, and some have candy floss. If you do not have very strong hair, I would only use bobby pins for special occasions and definitely not for every day.
This. Bobby pins can damage by pressure and pull out hairs easily if you're not extremely careful. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you don't use them on a daily basis and don't put too much other stress on your hair, but I'd try to cut down on usage if possible.

catamonica
May 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I wear a braided bun. And I use bobby pins. They hold my hair in place. They also have wide bobby pins that go easy in the hair. They do not hurt my hair.

Neneka
May 14th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I think it really depends on your hair type and the way you use them. :)

They very often pull my hair when I take them out and that surely causes damage. I use them "temporarily" to hold my growing out bangs and hairs that are not yet long enough to reach ponytail and I am okay with the damage they might cause.

MinderMutsig
May 14th, 2012, 05:30 AM
User error or not, bobby pins will not go near my hair ever again. They are actually pretty high on my list of things that damage my hair and should be avoided as much as possible.

#1 ripping trough hair with ball tipped paddle brush
#2 heatstyling on high heat
#3 Bobby pins
#4 Elastics with metal
#5 Elastics without metal

If something is damaging or not depends a lot on your hairtype though. I have very fine hair which as a result is pretty fragile. Bobby pins are too tight and the friction of putting them in and especially pulling them out damages it.

FancyFrantic
May 14th, 2012, 05:56 AM
I say just watch out when putting them in. I don't have any trouble with bobby pins other than them just falling out of my hair, just like everything else that touches my hair. :D

katiejune
May 14th, 2012, 06:17 AM
For buns I now use "spin pins". Heard about them on this site then bought some. They are so awesome!!

lilliemer
May 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM
Interesting perspectives, thanks all who replied. I kind of suspected they might do a bit of damage particularly when not used carefully...but sometimes you just need a bobby pin. My hair is curly and a bit fragile so I will just keep an eye on the areas where I use bobby pins often.

jeanniet
May 21st, 2012, 12:20 PM
I am extremely careful with pins, clips, and barrettes. Bobby pins do damage my hair, and so do snap clips and french barrettes. You might look into getting some tige boule barrettes. They have a fold-over clasp and their hold is gentle. http://www.franceluxe.com/c/tigeBoule/tigeBoule.html. France Luxe is expensive, but they're very good quality.

Changling
May 21st, 2012, 01:01 PM
I am extremely careful with pins, clips, and barrettes. Bobby pins do damage my hair, and so do snap clips and french barrettes. You might look into getting some tige boule barrettes. They have a fold-over clasp and their hold is gentle. http://www.franceluxe.com/c/tigeBoule/tigeBoule.html. France Luxe is expensive, but they're very good quality.

I have some barrettes like that, but when I use them, some hair always gets caught in the clasp (the ball-part that fits into the tighter end of the wire), and I'm afraid it's bad for my hair in that way. How do you avoid this?

HintOfMint
May 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM
For buns I actually strongly recommend Spin Pins. Goody makes them and I absolutely love them. I hardly ever use bobby pins on buns anymore, I only use them to tuck back my bangs or when I have some unwieldy parts of a more elaborate bun.

DayDreamerDani
May 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM
User error or not, bobby pins will not go near my hair ever again. They are actually pretty high on my list of things that damage my hair and should be avoided as much as possible.

#1 ripping trough hair with ball tipped paddle brush
#2 heatstyling on high heat
#3 Bobby pins
#4 Elastics with metal
#5 Elastics without metal

If something is damaging or not depends a lot on your hairtype though. I have very fine hair which as a result is pretty fragile. Bobby pins are too tight and the friction of putting them in and especially pulling them out damages it.

That list is exactly the same as the things I avoid at all costs. I am very against using Bobby pins and any form of elastic holder. I only use scrunchies moderately. I'm growing out Bobby pin and elastic hair tie damage. I use to be very reckless with these items. If your not careful you can really hurt your hair when using elastics and bobby pins. I learned my lesson, and still paying for it.

ladylowtide
May 21st, 2012, 02:39 PM
I agree with some of the others in this thread that breakage due to bobby pins (as opposed to hairs being yanked out from careless removal) depends on hair type.

About 15% of my hair is fine. The rest is a hearty medium.

I could put bobby pins all day in the sections of my hair that are M and not see any broken strands. But if I put them in round the front where I have lots of patches of mostly fine hair, tons of hairs get broken off.

My fine hairs are however, extremely fragile. One dose of bleach will melt them off completely whereas the rest of my hair could be lifted 4 to 5 times and still be standing...

So depends on the hair right?

jeanniet
May 21st, 2012, 04:11 PM
I have some barrettes like that, but when I use them, some hair always gets caught in the clasp (the ball-part that fits into the tighter end of the wire), and I'm afraid it's bad for my hair in that way. How do you avoid this?
My hair is notorious for getting caught in things. I just have to be careful to make sure the clasp is clear before fastening.

Dovetail
May 21st, 2012, 04:14 PM
I don't really user bobby pins often, but it seems like when ever I do the curvy bit always slides to the left or right of the bottom part and it always gets stuck.

I'm usually pretty careful with them though. I do have a pair with some cute buttons on them, but I don't really have a way to use decorative ones. Hm.. Maybe I'll make them into earrings?

heidi w.
May 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
I feel like bobby pins do damage my hair. I often accidentally snap hairs when removing (and sometimes inserting) the pins.

There will be times when taking a bobby pin or similar out of the hair becomes difficult for some reason, often not known (the why). In this instance, do not tug at the pin to remove the pin. Instead, remove the hair itself, FIRST, then take out the pin. For example, to remove the hair --- and admittedly, it's a hassle, but it does work --- open the pin fairly wide, and then remove the hair, then remove the pin. No snapping or breakage then. I've done this a number of times over the decades of having long hair.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 21st, 2012, 04:23 PM
Bobby pins are too tight and the friction of putting them in and especially pulling them out damages it.

I am sorry to say that I have to agree. When I resided in California, I found comfortable enough hair roller pins (the long bobby pins -- that's what I use). Then I moved to Illinois, and I have discovered that something different is going on with the design of hair roller pins or even bobby pins. The tension on them feels tighter. I have to use them a number of times to get them to be slightly less tense, and then those pins I really hang on to. I won't overnight and leave them somewhere. I've been known to collect them, hanging all the pins on the length of one pin and stuffing them in my purse til I get home.

This is one of those areas that I wish I could be a designer consultant about. I can't find my good ole goody pins that worked quite well for around 12 years (give or take). Can't find 'em anywhere.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM

I can second France Luxe brand. Although on occasion, I have found a bad clip mechanism, so you just have to watch it. Unfortunately a lot of online sites do now show the back of barrettes (same with eBay). That's another one of those things I would advise a big change on: show the backside or up close somehow the mechanism that's the clipping device. (Those are cute little barrettes; they would merely be a decoration in my hair, and wouldn't offer actual hold for my length.)

heidi w.

Anlbe
May 21st, 2012, 04:53 PM
Depends on your hair. The only way to know if it will damage your hair is to try and see.

The overwhelming majority of people don't have any problems with bobby pins if they use them carefully, fingers crossed your one of them.

henné
May 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM
Bobby pins don't damage my hair in the slightest ...

purple_omelette
May 21st, 2020, 01:07 AM
I used bobby pins every day last year for my go-to style (a pinned crown braid), and I am missing a narrow chunk of hair from the point I used to pin the most :( not hugely noticeable unless my hair is down, but it was a little said to see.

I'm wondering: what are the best alternatives to bobby pins for braided styles (i.e. styles that are entirely updos, but do not incorporate buns?)

Lucy McLucyFace
May 21st, 2020, 02:06 AM
As someone who has had bangs all her life: be careful how you use them along the hairline. I've pulled and broken a great deal of hair by using bobby pins around my temples

Lucy McLucyFace
May 21st, 2020, 02:11 AM
I used bobby pins every day last year for my go-to style (a pinned crown braid), and I am missing a narrow chunk of hair from the point I used to pin the most :( not hugely noticeable unless my hair is down, but it was a little said to see.

I'm wondering: what are the best alternatives to bobby pins for braided styles (i.e. styles that are entirely updos, but do not incorporate buns?)

Have you tried using U pins instead of bobby pins? I personally haven't but it's what has been used since ancient times to hold hair up and youtuber Morgan Donner uses them on the exact updo you mentioned. Not sure if she has any video on it though

Sweet_Decadence
May 21st, 2020, 09:55 AM
I've got fine hair and I do find they cause a bit of damage but sometimes for me I need to chose whats going to cause the least damage. e.g. the hair on the nape of my neck is super prone to friction damage, it would be better to out it in a bobby pin. A blowy day vs my flyaways. Bobby pins. I just try not to use them if every day if I can avoid it.

purple_omelette
May 21st, 2020, 11:51 PM
Have you tried using U pins instead of bobby pins? I personally haven't but it's what has been used since ancient times to hold hair up and youtuber Morgan Donner uses them on the exact updo you mentioned. Not sure if she has any video on it though

Thank you! Yes, I'm going to buy some U pins now. I think I'll limit my bobby pin use to flyaways and perhaps pinning my flimsy ends under a bun, but certainly not for structural support anymore. At one stage, I was using around 12-13 bobby pins every day to hold up my crown braid, and I did this for months :(