PDA

View Full Version : is baking soda harsh?

marlb91
May 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM
i have been mixing baking soda with my sulfate free shampoo because it is the only way to actually wash my hair without it still being damp/greasy constantly. just wondering if anyone knows if baking soda is harsh for the hair/scalp? i wash every other day, thank you :D

spidermom
May 13th, 2012, 03:06 PM
It sounds like it isn't a problem for you. On my hair, it was a disaster. I swear - this is true! I mixed baking soda with my shampoo years ago for clarifying, and my hair matted together like felt. It was dry-dry-dry. The only time I could get a comb through my hair was when it was loaded with conditioner. I honestly thought I would have to get a super-short pixie to get rid of the damage, but with two weeks of daily conditioner soaks (so I could comb my hair) and a rather generous trim, my hair returned to normal.

marlb91
May 13th, 2012, 03:49 PM
It sounds like it isn't a problem for you. On my hair, it was a disaster. I swear - this is true! I mixed baking soda with my shampoo years ago for clarifying, and my hair matted together like felt. It was dry-dry-dry. The only time I could get a comb through my hair was when it was loaded with conditioner. I honestly thought I would have to get a super-short pixie to get rid of the damage, but with two weeks of daily conditioner soaks (so I coulds comb my hair) and a rather generous trim, my hair returned to normal.

wow that sounds horrible!! my hair is pretty fine which is annoying but it doesnt really tangle so i guess there are pros and cons to hair types :D x

afu
May 13th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I use baking soda mixed with conditioner to clarify as my hair goes crazy with shampoo since it transitioned to CO. For me the baking soda/conditioner mix works better than shampoo without dryness - i can't comment on it combined with shampoo though.

One thing i would say is that baking soda is alkali and hair likes to be slightly acidic, so i would recommend following it with an acid rinse (i use diluted lemon juice).

also, some people with greasy/oily hair have found good results if they apply the shampoo/conditioner to dry hair before getting into the shower, might be worth a try

rhosyn_du
May 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM
It sounds like it isn't a problem for you. On my hair, it was a disaster. I swear - this is true! I mixed baking soda with my shampoo years ago for clarifying, and my hair matted together like felt. It was dry-dry-dry. The only time I could get a comb through my hair was when it was loaded with conditioner. I honestly thought I would have to get a super-short pixie to get rid of the damage, but with two weeks of daily conditioner soaks (so I could comb my hair) and a rather generous trim, my hair returned to normal.

My experience wasn't quite that bad, but I got crazy tangles and my hair felt like straw for a couple weeks. I ended up doing SMTs every day until it started feeling like hair again.

earthnut
May 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM
just wondering if anyone knows if baking soda is harsh for the hair/scalp? i wash every other day, thank you :D

Yes, it can be, because baking soda is alkaline, and alkalinity damages hair. It depends on how much you use, the pH of your water, and what other products you use. Shampoos are generally slightly acidic, so that neutralizes the baking soda some. If you're concerned you may want to finish with a mild vinegar rinse. (1-4 tsp vinegar in 4 cups water) As long as your hair is 4.5-5 pH when you walk out of the shower, your hair should be fine.

turtlelover
May 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Baking soda TOTALLY RUINS my hair and it takes like a week to act even semi-normal after using any amount of it. I would much prefer a good clarifying shampoo with sulfates over mixing something with baking soda.

spidermom
May 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I didn't follow with a vinegar rinse, so maybe that's why my hair reacted so badly.

AmandaKoiter
May 13th, 2012, 11:52 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I have only washed with a baking soda rinse twice in my life, but both times my hair felt like silk after I washed it out. I did follow it up with a very diluted vinegar rinse that helped to tone down the silky feel. Strange.

Mina17
May 14th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I use baking soda followed by a vinegar rinse to clarify. It makes my hair soft and silky, unlike the strawlike frizz I get from clarifying shampoos.

I honestly don't know how my hair would be if I did this often though. I've worried about it drying out my hair so I keep the dilution low and only do it when I've got build up.

marlb91
May 14th, 2012, 07:48 AM
thank you for the replies ladies i hadnt thought of baking soda as alkaline i usually use a vinegar rinse but i am at uni for a few more days doing my exams and didnt have room for my massive ACV bottle in my bag :P im still transitioning to using no sulfates and when i did use a sulfate shampoo to ease the transition i had such an itchy scalp! i dont even use conditioner because it makes my hair limp (even a cone free one) and stretching washes too quickly makes my scalp itch soo much. when i get home ill use the ACV normally and go without the baking soda whenever my hair allows me x

pelicano
May 14th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Baking soda TOTALLY RUINS my hair and it takes like a week to act even semi-normal after using any amount of it. I would much prefer a good clarifying shampoo with sulfates over mixing something with baking soda.

I totally agree with this. I've only ever used tiny amounts of it, but it is incredibly drying for me. I'd definitely rather use sulfates if I needed them than this.