PDA

View Full Version : Almond Oil?

letibear
May 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone,
If you have used it, will you please tell me your experiences with almond oil? I am trying to stay away from leave-in conditioners and wanting to take a more natural route; the scent of coconut oil is too strong for me. Any input is appreciated ^_^ thank you!

furnival
May 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi, I like sweet almond oil- it's nice and light. There are quite a few threads on it- it seems to be popular-
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=88473&highlight=Almond
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25788&highlight=Almond
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65231&highlight=Almond
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=48152&highlight=Almond
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46633&highlight=Almond
I have read that it doesn't penetrate into the hair shaft like coconut or olive oil but it's good for sealing in moisture. Hope that helps! :)
ETA: If you don't like the smell of coconut oil, the refined stuff doesn't smell ;)

midsummernight
May 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I love almond oil as a leave in. It leave my hair smooth and soft. But it doesnt really help in styling my hair, so I use aloe vera gel first and then a little almond oil in the ends. I also started used a recipie someone posted (I forgot who) about mixing aloe vera gel and coconut oil. I tried this and I love the results. Plus I dont smell the coconut oil this way.

Elenna
May 13th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Almond oil is great for "slip" and easily washes out of fine hair. It's a light oil that I mix with
small amounts of heavier oils. Almond oil doesn't heal or penetrate the hair, but it is great for alleviating tangles and knots.

Sillage
May 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I prefer argan, tamanu (this smells like leather and butter pecan ice cream --probably too smelly for you), avocado, and rose hip seed oils over almond.

earthnut
May 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Almond oil is a lot like olive oil, with similar fatty acid content, and penetrates about as much. (not as much as coconut oil but more than jojoba or mineral oil) Almond oil has no smell, unlike olive oil, however it's more expensive and not as readily available.

I used to use almond oil, but now I use olive oil because it's always available in my house (and other houses) and since it gets used for cooking, gets used faster and is less likely to go rancid.

TiffanieJean
May 13th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I use Sweet Almond Oil in hair masks. My hair is fine, so I have never used it as a leave in. As long as you don't use a lot it should work pretty well. For hair it's not as thick as any other other oil I have tried. It soaks in faster. I really love the stuff.

I also replaced my sons baby lotion with Almond Oil and I use it instead of lotion now too. I've really been trying to take the natural route and limit the chemicals I expose my son (2 years old) to this year. Especially after looking up his old baby lotion on Skindeep.org .... Almond Oil works so much better, I'm glad I switched. Anyways, if you end up hating it for a leave in you can always find a different use so it doesn't go to waste..

QMacrocarpa
May 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I'm using some almond oil that I got in the cooking oils section at Whole Foods. I store most of it in the fridge because I worried that it might go rancid if left at room temperature for a long while. It seems fine, though I think I liked jojoba oil just a little bit better (not enough to spend the extra it costs, though). I add a little lavender essential oil to the small bottle of almond oil I keep in the bathroom.

letibear
May 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all of your responses, I'm gonna try it out. TiffanieJean, good point about being able to use it for other things.

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 03:10 PM
My Sweet almond oil mix is amazing, I use it as a leave in as a replacement for my old silicone serums and my almond oil is mixed as a 2:1 ratio with coconut oil (coconut oil having the larger proportion) and I find that this mixture works well for me (as otherwise its too heavy). I can see the difference in the bottle where the almond oil is far more viscous as coconut oil is a solid in the bottle until I drop it in a jug of hot water, thus more suitable for fine hair imo. Give it a try and if you don't like it then, welll.. There's plenty more oils in the sea (haha?) X

Anlbe
May 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Doesn't do anything amazing for my hair that distilled coconut oil doesn't do better. On the other hand it is the best thing in the world for hands, nails and cuticles.

cuties
May 14th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I am using it instead of lotion right now i.e. body oil after shower. I should probably try it as leave-in as well, as I have found it to be non greasy.

jacqueline101
May 14th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I mixed mine with argan coconut and brazilian nut mineral and vitamin e oils in very small amounts. I diluted it with water and mist on my entire length daily.

spookyghost
May 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I originally bought sweet almond oil for my eyelashes. I saw an Indian woman on you tube with the most gorgous lashes I have ever seen! She use almond oil. So I bought it and used castor oil on my lashes!:lol: I know-what? So I havent used it. I knew it was good for hair too but I have been experimenting with coconut oil, which my hair hates, and evoo. I havent formed an opinion yet on the evoo. My hair doesnt hate it like the coconut but my hair isnt impressed either:p So Im sitting here with the almond oil on my damp hair. I have jamaican black castor oil and argon oil on my scalp and the almond on the length and ends. I really want a nice moisturizing affect to happen. So Im keeping my fingers crossed. I will post tomarrow to say how it went.