PDA

View Full Version : Going 'cone free

dawnrader
May 13th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Well i took the plunge last week and invested in some sulphate free shampoo and cone free conditioner.

I've used sulphate free shampoos before and don't really like the lack of bubbles but that's something i can deal with.

Cone free, im not sure of, my hair seems fine, a little wilder than usual but it's not tangled and it's certainly shiny so....

How long should i use this product to see if my hair likes going cone free?
What differences should i be looking for?

Nic
x

Dragon Faery
May 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
For me, the difference was my hair without cones became silkier and smoother to the touch. It also absorbs oils better when cone-free. If I use cones, the oils sit on the surface and look greasy instead of soaking in and doing some good. :)

I don't know if my experience is normal or not, but that's why I'm staying cone-free. :)

Dragon Faery
May 13th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I also notice we're similar hair types. Habe you ever tried or been interested in CO washing? I don't know if your hair needs more moisture or not, but mine certainly likes it. :)

kitcatsmeow
May 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Cones can build up and like the above poster said...prevents moisture from getting in. They can dry on the surface and hide damage you don't realize your doing. My hair is softer and shiner without cones. I use some argan oil in place of my finishing serum. It adds shine and tames frizz and smooths.

dawnrader
May 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
For me, the difference was my hair without cones became silkier and smoother to the touch. It also absorbs oils better when cone-free. If I use cones, the oils sit on the surface and look greasy instead of soaking in and doing some good. :)

I don't know if my experience is normal or not, but that's why I'm staying cone-free. :)

I also notice we're similar hair types. Habe you ever tried or been interested in CO washing? I don't know if your hair needs more moisture or not, but mine certainly likes it. :)

I've never tried CO washing only, my scalp is quite greasy so not sure how that would work out. I can certainly give it a go, see what happens.

My hair needs lots of moisture or it goes bananas, very poofy and frizzy and difficult to manage.

It's a bit like that at the moment, it's not sitting how it should, but then maybe my curls are more pronounced this way and i shouldn't have brushed it.... I dunno, too many variables!

Kitcatsmeow - I agree with you, it's much softer and it feels smoother too, i might oil the ends tonight to see if i can get it in check.

Thanks both of you for the suggestions and information.

nic
x

rowie
May 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM
OMG, I switch back to cones again because I feel like I get so much hair breakage compared to when I use cones. When I'm cone free I notice more hair breakage mixed into the shedding when I use my coconut oil, is this normal when going cone free?

HintOfMint
May 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
My hair refuses to hold a curl when I use cones and they virtually straighten my hair. That's why I'm mostly cone free (I'll use them occasionally, and if they're in a shampoo but low on the ingredients list)

It's hard to explain but, my hair feels more like HAIR, and less like plastic when I'm off of cones. Don't get me wrong, I like the plastic feel every once in a while, but that's another big difference. Keep in mind, I'm comparing a completely cone-free routine with a super-duper cone routine like with Pantene and John Frieda Frizz Ease serum.

dawnrader
May 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hint of Mint, your reply made me smile. I'm not a Pantene person however it's TIGI cones and frizz ease and a little EVOO when needed.... from cone to zero in one wash :)

So i think it's the cone free that's given me puff, will have to remember that and not brush it after next time... i look like a brushed poodle at the minute.... Will give it a couple more washes and see how it fares.

Rowie - I'll keep my eye out for shedding (i do LOTS of that anyway) and listen out for any snaps of hair. I don't want it breaking on me at this stage.

Laylah
May 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I first tried going cone free when I joined LHC about three years ago. It made my hair rough, tangly and dry. So I went back to cones and for the last half year or so I've been cone free again. As I take better care of my hair it doesn't seem to care whether it has cones or not. Cones loosen up the curls and waves and make my hair shinier. No cones makes it softer, curlier, and smoother.

Sillage
May 13th, 2012, 12:54 PM
When I'm cone free I notice more hair breakage mixed into the shedding when I use my coconut oil, is this normal when going cone free?

It was for me! My hair loves cones and going cone free was not a good idea for me. Way more breakage, duller hair, tangles galore... it was really bad.

earthnut
May 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I didn't find a cone-free conditioner that worked for my hair. I used a coney Pantene conditioner and it worked great. I used a little baby shampoo with it and didn't get buildup for several years. Cones aren't necessarily bad, some hair just likes them. They are easily washed out later.

Now I've gone to oils, and am completely replacing conditioner, which works fine too.

Long_hair_bear
May 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I tried going cone free for 6 months.... My hair hated it! It was very dry and tangly. I ended up switching back to cones and my hair loves me again. It's definitely a person to person thing. :D

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I am currently stuck in the middle but I am on the fence about a few things. I went cone free last week and my hair feels softer but hey ho looks like a birds nest, so I may just stop using serums as a a leave in and stick to silicone hair masks that have partially soluable silicones such as amodimethicone and stay away from cyclopentasiloxane for it has had awful results on my hair.