PDA

View Full Version : Exploding hair!Store bought oil shampoo- will it damage hair?

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Naturigin (I think that's how u spell it) has seseme seed oil and olive oil with aloe vera juice, the ingredients are as follows:
Water, aloe vera juice, ammonium lauryl sulphate,coco.betaine, sea water extract, seseme seed oil, olive oil.
I got this from a 99p/dollar store so I am worried after one use of it should I discontinue as I have heard about oil/shampoo 'hair explosions'
Thank you!

PolarCathy
May 13th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Naturigin (I think that's how u spell it) has seseme seed oil and olive oil with aloe vera juice, the ingredients are as follows:
Water, aloe vera juice, ammonium lauryl sulphate,coco.betaine, sea water extract, seseme seed oil, olive oil.
I got this from a 99p/dollar store so I am worried after one use of it should I discontinue as I have heard about oil/shampoo 'hair explosions'
Thank you!

Excuse me. About what??

Kelikea
May 13th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I think it was from coconut oil, as it penetrates the shaft when in shampoo. Haven't heard anything with those other oils.

pepperminttea
May 13th, 2012, 06:24 AM
The oil is very low down on the ingredients list; oil shampoo was in a much higher ratio, often 1:1, and it was specifically with coconut oil. I wouldn't worry about the oil content in most store bought shampoos. :)

You might find the ammonium lauryl sulphate (ALS) a bit drying though, diluting the shampoo with water might be an option you want to look into if you have trouble.

Excuse me. About what??

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92337&page=4). Don't worry, she doesn't mean exploding as in the bottle acting like dynamite! :lol:

Mayflower
May 13th, 2012, 07:12 AM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92337&page=4). Don't worry, she doesn't mean exploding as in the bottle acting like dynamite! :lol:

Oh my god, seriously? I just bought a shampoobar from etsy (http://www.etsy.com/listing/84209761/neem-amla-shikakai-handmade-natural?ref=sr_gallery_6&ga_search_query=shampoo+bar&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=shampoo+bar) which has these ingredients:

Ingredients: Sage & Rosemary Hydrolats (Salvia officinalis, Rosmarinus officinalis), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Avocado oil (Persea Americana), Castor oil (Ricinus Communis), Palm Kernel Oil (Elaeis Guineensis), Sodium Hydroxide, Sweet Almond oil (Prunus Dulcis), Grapeseed oil (Vitis Vinifera), Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Organic Neem Oil (Azadirachta Indica), Mustard seed oil (Brassica Nigra), Acacia Concinna (Shikakai) Powder, Emblica Officinalis (Amla) powder, Orris Root Powder, Pogostemon cablin (Patchouli) Oil, Salvia sclarea (Clary Sage) oil, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) oil.

Should I even start using it?

pepperminttea
May 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Sorry everyone, didn't mean to start a panic or anything. :flower: Honestly, I think the problems people were having were with the oil shampoo method itself. I doubt using a shampoo with some oils in it as part of a normal routine would cause the same issues. As with everything, YMMV and stop if your hair isn't a fan, but I really wouldn't worry unless you're doing the full method.

Mayflower
May 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Sorry everyone, didn't mean to start a panic or anything. :flower: Honestly, I think the problems people were having were with the oil shampoo method itself. I doubt using a shampoo with some oils in it as part of a normal routine would cause the same issues. As with everything, YMMV and stop if your hair isn't a fan, but I really wouldn't worry unless you're doing the full method.

Oh no, I'm glad you brought it up! I've never even heard of it before (but then again I never looked up the oil shampoo method). I was just so glad to find an all-natural shampoo and didn't think it could have any side effects. I will try it out as soon as I've received it, hope it doesn't do any damage since coconut oil is the second ingredient. :)

pepperminttea
May 13th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Oh no, I'm glad you brought it up! I've never even heard of it before (but then again I never looked up the oil shampoo method). I was just so glad to find an all-natural shampoo and didn't think it could have any side effects. I will try it out as soon as I've received it, hope it doesn't do any damage since coconut oil is the second ingredient. :)

Good luck! If it makes you feel any better, I've used a shampoo which I think had coconut oil as the second ingredient too, it didn't give me any issues. :)

Kelikea
May 13th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I would tend to worry about it more if the weather is cooler. Say, if the temperature is warm enough that the coconut oil would stay liquified, then it would seem safer than if the oil would solidify, maybe causing it to expand and rip the hair shaft? Just a theory of mine...

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I got this shampoo as the beauty brains states that it is the gentlest sulphate, otherwise I use coconut deratives in loreal everstrong, but loreal everstrong makes me itchy!

Thank you no scares people!

MinderMutsig
May 13th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I would tend to worry about it more if the weather is cooler. Say, if the temperature is warm enough that the coconut oil would stay liquified, then it would seem safer than if the oil would solidify, maybe causing it to expand and rip the hair shaft? Just a theory of mine... Well, lauric acid, which is the component of coconut oil that penetrates the hair, is solid below 42C (107F) so it would have to be really really hot outside.

spidermom
May 13th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Solid below 107 degrees Fahrenheit?! My coconut oil liquifies when the temp gets over 70 degrees F.

Kelikea
May 13th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Hmm.. my coconut oil was liquid when I got it and didn't solidify until fall. (I got it last summer.) It is now half-liquid and around 80F here. I was thinking of using oil-shampoo while in AZ this summer, and the temps will probably be close to or over 100F. I was hoping it would help protect my hair from chlorine damage from the pool.

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Because I'm going cone free I'm in a transition period right now which sucks too

MinderMutsig
May 13th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Solid below 107 degrees Fahrenheit?! My coconut oil liquifies when the temp gets over 70 degrees F.Coconut oil as a whole, yes. The lauric acid in the coconut oil, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauric_acid

ravenreed
May 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I have had several methods recommended on LHC give me "exploded ends." SMT's, aloe vera gel, glycerin all led to a head full of split ends just a couple of days after using them. I didn't get exploded ends from oil shampoo, but I did notice an increase in splits. I think that what works for one person may be a disaster for another. That is why hair care is so tricky. The only way to tell if something will work is to try it, but sometimes the things that don't work are a hair disaster.

PolarCathy
May 13th, 2012, 09:25 AM
The oil is very low down on the ingredients list; oil shampoo was in a much higher ratio, often 1:1, and it was specifically with coconut oil. I wouldn't worry about the oil content in most store bought shampoos. :)

You might find the ammonium lauryl sulphate (ALS) a bit drying though, diluting the shampoo with water might be an option you want to look into if you have trouble.

OK! I did take it literally and was so close to writing "too much sci-fi" :D
Sorry (blush)

honeyblonde
May 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM
OK! I did take it literally and was so close to writing "too much sci-fi" :D
Sorry (blush)

Haha, glad I'm no the only one :o

HintOfMint
May 13th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I think the "exploding" happened from using sulfates from what were essentially really harsh clarifying shampoos on a regular basis, even with coconut oil mixed in. They still lifted the cuticle on a routine basis (to allow the lauric acid into the core) and sulfates are pretty harsh.

to the OP, I would still recommend a conditioner to use with the shampoo. The oil in it is too low to have a true conditioning effect, and I don't know if the cleansers are so gentle that you can get away without conditioner. Good luck!

ravenreed
May 13th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Maybe my hair didn't explode because I went against Ktani's advice and followed the oil shampoo with a conditioner?

I think the "exploding" happened from using sulfates from what were essentially really harsh clarifying shampoos on a regular basis, even with coconut oil mixed in. They still lifted the cuticle on a routine basis (to allow the lauric acid into the core) and sulfates are pretty harsh.

to the OP, I would still recommend a conditioner to use with the shampoo. The oil in it is too low to have a true conditioning effect, and I don't know if the cleansers are so gentle that you can get away without conditioner. Good luck!

DragonLady
May 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Off-topic, but where has Ktani gone?

ravenreed
May 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM
I believe she left LHC. I found and am following her blog.

MinderMutsig
May 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM

to the OP, I would still recommend a conditioner to use with the shampoo. The oil in it is too low to have a true conditioning effect, and I don't know if the cleansers are so gentle that you can get away without conditioner. Good luck!My hair was fine with the shampoo I used for oil shampoo before and after my oil shampoo experiment. My hair was also fine with coconut oil before and after my oil shampoo experiment. The only difference was putting the oil in the shampoo, making it easier for the lauric acid to penetrate.

I really think it's a simple case of too much of a good thing. Some lauric acid penetrating the hair = yay. That much lauric acid penetrating the hair shaft = disaster, explosions, famine, locusts and growing a third head.

OK I may have exaggerated a but there, but you get the idea right? :p

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I miss her, she really helped me when I first joined and although I don't personally know her aswell as some other people I feel as if I really owe her my utmost thanks which I sadly never got to give her in time before she left ;(

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Haha thanks for the locusts part that did make me smile :P x