PDA

View Full Version : Shedding, never had this before!

vintage88
May 13th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Hey Everyone

I've been pretty stressed the last few weeks, and my hair is suffering as a result. Apart from noticing more sparkles (i'm a renegray so this doesn't bother me!:)) i'm shedding loads of hairs everyday. I've never had this before, it's pretty scary combing my hair in a morning to find loads of hair stuck in the comb when i've finished (I wear a sleep cap so don't have tangles when I comb in the mornings, so I know i'm not pulling my hair out!) also my hair just falls out when I wash it.

I'm a lot less stressed now, things are getting sorted and i'm more chilled! I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about shedding, how long will it last? Is there anything I can do to stop it? (apart from not being stressed!) I don't want to lose my hair, it has always been thick and i've never experienced this before.

Any advice would be much appreciated!:)

bo-peep
May 13th, 2012, 06:31 AM
This happened to me last summer when my husband and I separated (we work in the same office so having to be around each other every day just tripled the level of stress). It felt like I lost about 20% of my hair over the course of three months! I have no idea if that's even accurate, but there was a LOT of hair coming out every day (like you I have very thick hair).

It's difficult to say when the hair-loss stopped, though I feel it ended about the same time my stress-level subsided (I took control of the situation - which helped me stop feeling so depressed).

kiwiang
May 13th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I know to well what your feeling:confused:Mine has just stopped after about 3months..... Just started one day and scared me big time:( I have always had thick hair and. Shed a normal amount but it seemed to come out every time I touched it.... All over the house....I stopped using irons /hairdryers and found this forum. So now I am learning to care for my hair. I think mine was a combination of losing my grandmother and my marriage falling apart:(
I hope yours gets better soon to :)

Madora
May 13th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hair loss can be a sign of anemia. To be on the safe side, have your doctor do a full blood screen..and get a thyroid check too.

Good luck!

vintage88
May 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hair loss can be a sign of anemia. To be on the safe side, have your doctor do a full blood screen..and get a thyroid check too.

Good luck!

Oh really? I had a blood test a few weeks ago and was told i'm slightly anaemic, can't believe I didn't link it to the hair loss?! I've changed my diet so hopefully it will improve, i'm sure this combined with stress is what is causing the shedding. Thanks Madora I didn't realise this was also a symptom of anaemia.

Also thanks for the other replies too:)

SilverDoe
May 13th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Oh really? I had a blood test a few weeks ago and was told i'm slightly anaemic, can't believe I didn't link it to the hair loss?! I've changed my diet so hopefully it will improve, i'm sure this combined with stress is what is causing the shedding. Thanks Madora I didn't realise this was also a symptom of anaemia.

Also thanks for the other replies too:)

I recently had the same issue with increased hairloss, and sure enough, I also got my usual mysterious bruises on my legs that indicate anemia.
The issue is that the body has an extremely hard time absorbing iron, and only get around 5-10%.
Vitamin C will aid the iron uptake, while calcium, coffee/tea/caffeine/soda & cocoa prevents it for up to 2 hours before & after.

I would suggest finding a liquid plant/herb based iron supplement with a high uptake percentage of around 20-25%, especially to prevent constipation.

vintage88
May 13th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I recently had the same issue with increased hairloss, and sure enough, I also got my usual mysterious bruises on my legs that indicate anemia.
The issue is that the body has an extremely hard time absorbing iron, and only get around 5-10%.
Vitamin C will aid the iron uptake, while calcium, coffee/tea/caffeine/soda & cocoa prevents it for up to 2 hours before & after.

I would suggest finding a liquid plant/herb based iron supplement with a high uptake percentage of around 20-25%, especially to prevent constipation.

Thanks so much for your reply:) I will try and find a good supplement and hopefully things will improve!

MiamiPineapple
May 13th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I swear by taking Biotin everyday. When my grandmother started to lose her hair due to illness, I told her to take biotin and it made her hair regrow. By the time she got to the doctor a few weeks later it was starting to get better and the doctor told her also to take Biotin! You can buy it at any drugstore. It is a watersoluble vitamin so you cannot overdose. It is also very cheap which is kind of nice.

Madora
May 13th, 2012, 09:48 AM
If you do take Biotin, be careful and don't overdo it.

Some members here have complained of acne breakouts because of it.

Also, I may sound like a worrywart, but consult with your doctor before taking supplements. I have nothing against supplements (I take several myself)..but I cleared them with my physician to be sure they were compatible with the medications I take.