PDA

View Full Version : Make your own hair sticks?

kallarina
May 13th, 2012, 12:43 AM
I love making hair sticks! I have made a TON, and I got my mom and my sister into doing it, too.
So, does anyone else here do this?

hellucy
May 13th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I've recently started making my own hair sticks & forks too.
There is a long running thread showing off some of the results of the many very talented members over in 'off topic' - crafts & hobbies http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131

Neneka
May 13th, 2012, 05:06 AM
I have done many sticks too while waiting for my hair to grow. I have some pics in my album. :)

Les
May 13th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I've only made one pair, but I think they are rather unique. Steel - made from ground down carriage bolts.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=492&pictureid=4996

StormVixen
May 13th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Woah Les, those bolts are awesome :)

I have made quite a few hair sticks from (British native) tree branches, my favourite tree to work with is Hawthorne, I've also used Oak, Ash and Yew amongst others. I've found that Hazel trees don't work too well because they have a pithy centre hole. The hair sticks are little finger ish thick, some kinda look like rib bones, I look for unusual knobbly bits in the branches to make interesting hair stick endy bits which I carve, round and smooth off using a knife, sometimes I just slant cut the end though. I finish them by sanding then polishing them with wax and nut oil.

kallarina
May 14th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Wow, Les, those are awesome!
We make ours pretty cheaply, but they're still fun to do. We use nail polishes and old jewelry to decorate.
I'll be checking that thread out, I'm very interested in some new ideas for us!

RisaMoe
May 14th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I make alot of hairsticks for myself and my sister. I have a collection of exotic hardwoods that I like to use.

I also make beaded tassles for the end of my braids or to hook onto my hair sticks.

Mine are also in the home made hairsticks thread. (there are tons of people who post there)

lushlocks
May 14th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I should head over there. I've been wondering how to make my own.