PDA

View Full Version : How hair color and bleach works (Wisdom from my years of experience with home color)

misspurdy06
May 12th, 2012, 04:45 PM
How hair color and bleach works.

Yes they are two different things.

Bleach removes color, Dye adds color.

1. "Dyeing your hair blonde" is an oxymoron.

Dyeing means adding color
To achieve blonde hair from dark you must bleach.

2. Using the same color and toner twice won't result in the same color.

Here's why....

Box color has a developer and toner....

Developer lightens, toner adds color. After the developer lightens the toner sets in and adds color.

When you repeat the process the developer lightens the previously added color and turns it golder (as all lightening agents do.) Then you add more color on top the gold. Making it golder and darker.

3. The best way to achieve the color you want is by processing your hair twice.

By this I mean bleach to slightly lighter level than desired, then add the tone you want.

If you are starting from black - medium brown hair you may have to bleach more than once then tone for desired result.

Read this to save yourself some grief.

I posted this in my blog also

terylenerose
May 13th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Thank you for posting this information. I'm sure some people will find it helpful. :)

jacqueline101
May 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I found it interesting.

Katze
May 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM
People misuse these words all the time. Thanks for the short-and-sweet clarification (I knew this, but many people do not).

Here in Germany there is a common thing that people say, 'oh, I don't dye my hair, I just use a toner.' Um, you are putting dye on your hair. Even without bleaching it first, you are dyeing.

Or the use of the words 'highlights', 'lowlights,' 'streaks', 'foils' etc - yes, this is professional jargon, but it is nice to know what they REALLY mean.

Tomorrow I am going to get streaks, i.e. a very dilute bleach solution, in my hair. Subtle lightening (bleaching) for the first time since coming to LHC. I figure if I can't have long hair, I can at least have brighter and more interesting hair. :D

Chetanlaiho
May 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
1. "Dying your hair hair blonde" is an oxymoron.

Dying means adding color
I have been saying this for so long! Everytime someone asks me why I don't dye my hair blonde (which happens more often than I'd like) I halfway yell that you cannot "dye" your hair blonde, you bleach your hair blonde >_<

Thanks for the info, very helpful =)

Tizzles
May 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Good stuff. That's one of the first things I learned in hair school "Color doesn't lift color" meaning only bleach lifts color -aka - lightening.

Micayla47
May 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
i've done all of these things more than once and i'd have to agree with you completely! wish i had discovered lhc a long time ago.

ravenreed
May 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM
However, once you bleach your hair, you might end up with an odd, unnatural looking yellowy orange, which you then have to dye to get to a proper blond. I think natural blonds might be able to just use bleach and go lighter, but I don't think a brunette could manage it.

misspurdy06
May 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM
People misuse these words all the time. Thanks for the short-and-sweet clarification (I knew this, but many people do not).

Here in Germany there is a common thing that people say, 'oh, I don't dye my hair, I just use a toner.' Um, you are putting dye on your hair. Even without bleaching it first, you are dyeing.

Or the use of the words 'highlights', 'lowlights,' 'streaks', 'foils' etc - yes, this is professional jargon, but it is nice to know what they REALLY mean.

Tomorrow I am going to get streaks, i.e. a very dilute bleach solution, in my hair. Subtle lightening (bleaching) for the first time since coming to LHC. I figure if I can't have long hair, I can at least have brighter and more interesting hair. :D
That toner thing is funny.

Shermie Girl
May 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM
1. "Dying your hair blonde" is an oxymoron.

Dying means adding color

1. Dying means that you are about to be dead. Dyeing is adding colour to your hair. ;)

2. Dyeing blonde is not necessarily an oxymoron. I use high lift dye and developer to lift and tone my natural level 5/6 hair to a 8/9. I do a second toning with a slightly darker, cooler blonde to get the soft, golden honey blonde shade I have decided I really love. I don't pre lighten with bleach. :D

misspurdy06
May 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
1. Forgive me the typo :)

2. It is an oxymoron;)
Dye implies adding color. To blonde something you must bleach.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dye?s=t

Source: http://dezsiree.hubpages.com/hub/Whats-Hair-Toner

3. It sounds like your hair is somewhat light so you don't really need a separate double process. But home color lightens as well as adds color so you do double process your hair.

And like I said in my post....:p

If you are starting from black - medium brown hair you may have to bleach more than once then tone for desired result.

Thank you for your comment:)

BlazingHeart
May 14th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I think it would be a good idea to stick this in the articles section!

~Blaze

Faux
May 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM
You can dye your (natural) dark hair blonde in one step by using 30 volume developer. If you've dyed your hair a dark color and want to go light, then you need to bleach it out, possibly more than once. I dyed my SIL's dyed dark red hair light blonde and it took 9 hours! We had to bleach it out twice.