PDA

View Full Version : Too good to be true?

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
A friend just gave me a set of these http://www.topstyler.com/about.html. I am going to use them today to get big curls, just to see how they work. If I like the results, will this damage my hair greatly over times (like flat iron or blow frying). or is it actually basically damage free? I know the roller/clamps don't get too hot, but its still heat and I assume it will be bad.

Neneka
May 12th, 2012, 10:52 AM
It might be drying, that comes to my mind as a person who goes to sauna regularly. How hot are they really?

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
It might be drying, that comes to my mind as a person who goes to sauna regularly. How hot are they really?

I just put on in and it was warm on the outside, I could put my finger on it for a few seconds when it was fully heated. The piece I tried with one small clamp had a slight wave, even though I let the clamp cool completly like said...maybe I need to do smaller sections or leave it in longer? Or maybe my hair is more curl resistant to heat curls than I knew...weird, I'll keep trying though, i'm gonna do my whole head with them soon, I just need inspiration for a look..ideas?

afu
May 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
they sound interesting, definitly keep us up to date :) if they are cool enough for you to be able to touch without burning yourself i wouldn't imagine they would be too damaging

p.s. we need pictures or they don't exist :p

Pixie0763
May 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM
You might try putting styling product on your hair for extra hold before trying to curl it?

leslissocool
May 12th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I totally want to try those out, but don't have the $ to buy it...

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM
they sound interesting, definitly keep us up to date :) if they are cool enough for you to be able to touch without burning yourself i wouldn't imagine they would be too damaging

p.s. we need pictures or they don't exist :p

Ooo, me and pictures don't get along..I have plenty (of my hair in general), but their on my phone with no idea how to get them off...but maybe with my digital camera, there are ways! I'm going to try a whole head hair do with them, but I have little to no inspiration, anybody have a picture of Piper with curl and full hair? :D

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I totally want to try those out, but don't have the $ to buy it...

The friend got them at an auction/fundraiser, for like 25.00. she told me the actual price and I was thanking her to no end...she claimed her hair was too thick and long to use them because she has two young kids and no time to take for them. Her hair IS longer than mine, but its not thicker, just straighter, so she figured I have more time to try them, very very nice of her! Its funny because I bidded on them at the auction, but she won...ironic that she gave the curlers to me! Had I not been given these, i would not have had the money to buy them!

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 11:35 AM
You might try putting styling product on your hair for extra hold before trying to curl it?

I think I still have some mousse in my hair from wash day 2 days ago...does it even last that long I wonder? I have some cocoa powder in my hair as dry shampoo (amazing, btw!) but I probably should put some moisturizing heat resistant stuff before trying these things...

leslissocool
May 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
The friend got them at an auction/fundraiser, for like 25.00. she told me the actual price and I was thanking her to no end...she claimed her hair was too thick and long to use them because she has two young kids and no time to take for them. Her hair IS longer than mine, but its not thicker, just straighter, so she figured I have more time to try them, very very nice of her! Its funny because I bidded on them at the auction, but she won...ironic that she gave the curlers to me! Had I not been given these, i would not have had the money to buy them!

That's really cool! I hope it gives you good results. My hair is at TB, I wonder if the it's too long then... I've got very little time though, I'm still waiting to get the Caruso because I know my kids would go insane trying to get their hands on it!

Take pics of your hair though, I'd love to see the result!

Kittyxx
May 12th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I've been thinking about getting some heated rollers and wondered the same thing about how damaging they are
I think to be on the safe side I'd still use with heat protector even if they just get warm

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I've been thinking about getting some heated rollers and wondered the same thing about how damaging they are
I think to be on the safe side I'd still use with heat protector even if they just get warm

I will use heat protectant anyway. I actually still want hot rollers, this was a gift so I figured I would make the best of it. I think rollers are a bit more damaging because the hair is rolled around the heated appliance (like a curling iron) instead of just set into a curl with heat (like these clamps do). I think rollers are more precise and better for special occasions though.