PDA

View Full Version : Mixing shampoo and coconut oil together?

SopphireGem
May 12th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I'd like to mix my shampoo and coconut oil together to see if it will make my hair feel soft. How much should I mix together?

afu
May 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Just experiment, it differs for different hair. For me (and a lot of others) it results in frizz and sometimes damage if your hair can't take large amounts of lauric acid, so my advice would be DO NOT put the coconut oil in your shampoo bottle, make the mixture as you use it. and keep a careful eye on how your hair reacts

spidermom
May 12th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I think you'll have to mix it as you use it anyway because coconut oil solidifies.

I was really underwhelmed when I tried this. A lot of shampoos contain oil already so check your label. Mine has argan oil.

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 09:49 AM
There's an oil shampoo thread around here somewhere...its a whole method of washing in which you use a simple shampoo (neutrogena anti-residue, aussie awsome volume...there's a whole list) mix in the same amount of coconut oil and wash then use no conditioner and a acidic rinse of some sort (if you want to or have hard water), I tried it only once, it made my hair coaser feeling and too staight. I personally didn't even give it a chance, but maybe you'll love it?

catamonica
May 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I have not used coconut oil. But I use olive oil in my shampoo & conditioner. I add a capful or two. Also a capful of Aloe Vera gel to my conditioner. It makes your hair baby soft.

Siiri
May 13th, 2012, 02:46 AM
You can find more information about the oil shampoo method in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

The general advice with that particular method is that you start with 1:1 and if it's too much, use less. Personally I use 1 part (solid) coconut oil and 2 parts shampoo.

If you don't want to start using the method described in the thread, you can simply add any oil into your shampoo, and it would work as a surface conditioner. If you follow the shampoo with a conditioner, you'd probably need much less oil than what I use, but that would depend on the condition/type of your hair. Probably about one or two tablespoons of oil mixed with a bottle of shampoo would be enough.

I usually mix the liquid coconut oil and shampoo every time I wash my hair, but if I'm travelling I mix some into an empty shampoo bottle and before using it warm it up in the shower with hot water, although to me it doesn't seem to re-solidify in room temperature very easily.

LadyHazel
May 13th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hold on- how can coconut oil be damaging? Really curious as I just went and bought some now I'm hesitant! Thank you

pepperminttea
May 13th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Hold on- how can coconut oil be damaging? Really curious as I just went and bought some now I'm hesitant! Thank you

You might find this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92337&page=4) interesting. I've never had trouble using coconut oil as a deep wash pre-treatment, there's no need to worry about using it like that if your hair enjoys it. :) But mixing the oil with the shampoo... not so much. Do please treat that method with caution.

But to answer your question OP, I microwaved the coconut oil on low to liquefy it, and then stirred the shampoo in. Make sure it doesn't go cold, and keep stirring it to stop it from separating. I used to make a fresh one-wash mix before each shower, rather than a batch that would last several. The ratio I used was around 1:1 too.

MinderMutsig
May 13th, 2012, 06:29 AM
You might find this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92337&page=4) interesting. I've never had trouble using coconut oil as a deep wash pre-treatment, there's no need to worry about using it like that if your hair enjoys it. :) But mixing the oil with the shampoo... not so much. Do please treat that method with caution.

But to answer your question OP, I microwaved the coconut oil on low to liquefy it, and then stirred the shampoo in. Make sure it doesn't go cold, and keep stirring it to stop it from separating. I used to make a fresh one-wash mix before each shower, rather than a batch that would last several. The ratio I used was around 1:1 too. I agree.

What worked for me was to melt the oil in my large jar of coconut oil and poor some in a smaller squeeze bottle. Then I would just put that small bottle on the hot part of the thermostat faucet (?) of my shower every time I wanted to wash. Because it's such a small amount and you only need a little it only takes a couple of minutes to melt enough coconut oil for a wash. And the squeeze bottle made it easier to measure out the right amount for my mix.