PDA

View Full Version : Jojoba Oil

Amanah
May 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Wow!!! I've found an oil that I like much better then Coconut Oil, or Sweet Almond Oil for my Hair.

Jojoba Oil makes my hairy shiny and gives it slip, but does not weigh it down. I love it. It is suppose to be the oil that is closest to sebum, the skin's natural oil.

My Coconut Oil will not go to waste as it is my favorite skin moisturizer. It really does have antibacterial properties. When I use it all over on my skin, after my shower, I can skip using deodorant as I don't get BO.

The Sweet Almond Oil, well, I think I'm going to use it up and not repurchase it.

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Jojoba oil sounds intresting, so far, my hair hates coconut oil (no clue why...) but I have never tried jojoba, what would it do different from coconut oil? is it a penetrating oil?

catamonica
May 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
It sounds like Jojoba oil would be good for your hair. I use olive oil in my shamapoo & conditioner.

onlyforhim
May 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I can't really find jojoba oil so I have no experience (hardly one month and a half here) but I think olive oil works like magic.. I tried things like snake oil (mixture of oils) and braids oil (also mixture of oils)
So far olive oil is the best
My roommates (when i was a student) were from india and they ALWAYS used coconutoil and said it's the best however.

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I can't really find jojoba oil so I have no experience (hardly one month and a half here) but I think olive oil works like magic.. I tried things like snake oil (mixture of oils) and braids oil (also mixture of oils)
So far olive oil is the best
My roommates (when i was a student) were from india and they ALWAYS used coconutoil and said it's the best however.

Oils are such a matter of personal hair preferance. I have seen people with my hair type say they love coconut oil but my hair goes crunchy and icky, even when freshly clarified, when using the stuff. I think its all trial and error with oils, i figure one of them must work!:)

Amanah
May 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Jojoba oil does not penetrate the hair shaft (from what I have read).
It is a sealant, in that it seals moisture in your hair.

What I like is that Jojoba makes my hair moist and shiny, but my hair does not look greasy.

Coconut oil makes my hair look greasy, I have a hard time using the right amount, then it soaks into my hair and makes it feel a little dry.

Almond Oil does not make my hair dry at all, but it also tends to make my hair look oily, It's hard for me to use the right amount.

Jojoba oil is just right, my hair feels moist, looks shiny, but does not oily.

I found it at the health food store. It cost $17.00 USD for 4 ounces.

catamonica
May 12th, 2012, 11:10 AM
onlyforhim, welcome to LHC. I also add Aloe Vera Gel to my conditioner. About a capful. It makes your hair baby soft.

allycat
May 12th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Amanah, do you put it on wet, damp, or dry hair?

emma907
May 12th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I tried Jojoba oil on my hair and it hates it, weighs it down terribly - even with tiny amounts, BUT I find its the best oil to use as a moisturiser for my skin whereas I cant use coconut oil for that.

I think that it has alot to do with pourosity of hair maybe, I have very dry hair that drinks coconut oil (and its the only oil i know that actualy penetrates the hair to be absorbed) but jojoba just lays on the surface preventing moisture in making my hair lank and dry.

curlyhair
May 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I use Jojoba oil as a carrier for other oils for my scalp massage and my scalp just love it.

earthnut
May 12th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Jojoba oil sounds intresting, so far, my hair hates coconut oil (no clue why...) but I have never tried jojoba, what would it do different from coconut oil? is it a penetrating oil?
Jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax. Much like sebum, it has a high wax component. Like other waxes, it doesn't penetrate the hair much. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is very penetrating. So they have very different properties.

cnd0020
May 12th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I didn't realize jojoba oil was liquid wax until I found out for myself after leaving a bottle of it in the car overnight. The next morning was cold and the oil partially solidified in the bottle. Leave it at room temperature and it re-liquifies, though.

dwell_in_safety
May 12th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I love jojoba oil as a leave-in after every wash. It gives my hair slip that it wouldn't have otherwise, with my texture, and I think it makes it shinier but I don't know if that's purely from the oil. :p

Wildcat Diva
May 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I am currently trying both, but I think I am going to favor coconut oil over jojoba. I have the "wrong" kind of coconut oil, I discovered, I have the refined kind. I have ordered the unrefined kind off of Amazon. I will also keep trying jojoba oil also here and there, as an experiment. I hear that it's perfect for skin as a moisturizer. I am glad that it is working for your hair.

lidapida
August 12th, 2012, 05:53 AM
My scalp absolutely loves jojoba oil!! I've been struggling with a dry and sore scalp for months - all problems gone with this stuff. Love it. And it also gives my hair a nice shine which I like :)

SoulOfTheSea
August 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I found it at the health food store. It cost $17.00 USD for 4 ounces.

You can 4 ounces of Organic Jojoba Oil from Amazon for only 9 or 10 dollars. That's where I got mine. :)