PDA

View Full Version : No-heat spiral curls

afu
May 12th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I've been looking for a while for a bedtime updo which will preserve my spirals (dutch braids give me lovely S waves, but sometimes i just want to preserve as much natural pattern as possible). I tried normal rope braiding and it gave me a very natural result but only from pony tail level down. I hunted through loads of complicated tutorials for a french style rope braid and finally found one which helped.

It was very fiddley at first but ive just about got it now. When i do it on dry hair it preserves my natural pattern and adds a little extra spiral-ing (see profile pic for result of dry french rope slept on for 6 hours). Last night i did it on very damp hair as i wanted to get to bed, and today i have very extreme spiralling!! (no picture as i over oiled and hair looks a greasy mess!)

Thought i'd share the tutorial i used because it gets excellent results and looks lovely as an updo too (well, when i master it im sure it will!). My hair is naturally about half S waves, half spirals so im not sure how it will come out on straighter hair but i would guess it would work well if done damp. I usually apply a little aloe/coconut mixture before doing my updos to remove frizz....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQLIjmsFuVw&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLar5wq17XT4A7FlNXy0hbog

Hope this helps some people :)

DarkCurls
May 12th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I love the French rope. :) I have 2c/3a hair, spirals like you say, and braid waves look fine but definitely not like my natural curl pattern. I tried rope braiding to get something which was more like it, but when I took the braid out I ended up with three twisted sections of hair that coiled nicely, but that I couldn't separate. :p Definitely very far from my natural pattern.
I wonder if Frenching it would make the curl-separation easier. :p

Anyway, very nice "braid waves" you have there.

jacqueline101
May 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I wish I could try that with my hair.

afu
May 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I love the French rope. :) I have 2c/3a hair, spirals like you say, and braid waves look fine but definitely not like my natural curl pattern. I tried rope braiding to get something which was more like it, but when I took the braid out I ended up with three twisted sections of hair that coiled nicely, but that I couldn't separate. :p Definitely very far from my natural pattern.
I wonder if Frenching it would make the curl-separation easier. :p

Anyway, very nice "braid waves" you have there.

thank you :)

I find that applying the aloe and coconut really helps in being able to seperate the coils without it just resulting in frizz. I think frenching it also helps with the seperation

brave
May 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I'm trying this one today! It wasn't that bad to put in either. The first time I twisted the wrong way so it was a mess but we'll see what I get once this dries.

afu
May 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hope it turns out well brave :) mine was such a mess when i first did it, definitly takes a bit of practice

Littlewing13
May 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Habioku is a member here too btw so any qs u can ask her