PDA

View Full Version : Travel Essentials?

Kelikea
May 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
In four weeks, I will be leaving on a trip to AZ to visit my mom for over a week. Very hot and dry. It is not quite as hot where I live, and also very humid. I am only going to take carry-on luggage, so all my hair essentials will need to fit in a ziplock in bottles under 4oz. I will also be swimming daily in a chlorinated pool. Right now, my routine is wash 2x a week, with either Desert Essences Coconut S & C or CO with v05 strawberries and cream. I'm wondering if I should try oil shampoo to saturate my hair with coconut oil before leaving. I think I will also need to consider changing my routine from 2x a week since we will be in the pool everyday. Any suggestions on products or routines? Anyone traveled from humid to dry climate? Oh, and my hair is about TBL now.

For face and body, I usually do ocm at night, WO in the morning and an all-natural body-wash or soap in the shower. Diluted vinegar rinses. Moisturizer is derma e vitamin a wrinkle gel pm/ MK spf 15 am. Body lotion is either Desert Essences or Nubian Heritage, but they are too big to take with me.

Mom is willing to buy me products to have at her house, but I hate for her to be stuck with whatever I don't use. V05 is easy since it is so cheap, I don't mind her shelling out the 97 cents, even if I don't use it all.

Help please:)

Kelikea
May 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Anyone?

Sorry to have to bump this, but the combination of hot/dry climate with swimming has me a bit worried.

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I would love to help but I went to AZ last year and came back with screwed hair. I say avoid humectants, maybe use some cones to lock in moisture? Soak your hair in oil before swimming, rinse well afterward, cover your hair in a hat or something when in the sun, mist with water and rich but humectant free conditioner during the day? I also recomend just bringing everything you need with you instead of having to buy it all there.

Kelikea
May 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Airline rules say every thing has to fit in 4oz or smaller containers and in a quart-size zip lock bag. And this includes all toiletries, not just hair stuff. That's why I need advice. I have to get streamlined!

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Airline rules say every thing has to fit in 4oz or smaller containers and in a quart-size zip lock bag. And this includes all toiletries, not just hair stuff. That's why I need advice. I have to get streamlined!

Oh sorry, wrong sort of advice...well, you can bring more than one quart sized bag, so go to a store like Walmart or Wlagreens and buy some 4oz containers, put your stuff into them, using as many as necessary, and seperate them into as many zip lock bags as possible. I actually have brought mousse on the airplane and had no problems...i think I just got lucky though....

arcane
May 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
We have a vacation home in Phoenix and I live on the east coast of Canada. Going from a very humid climate to the dry climate of Arizona definatly takes a tool. More so on my skin than my hair.

I typically check my luggage to lessen my hassle with customs so I don't generally take my hair supplies with my carry on.

As for swimming, I find if I saturate my hair before getting in the pool, then generally I can get away a day or two with just rinsing it out after the pool (I tend to swim 2 or 3 times a day when there, plus exercising every day). IF my hair feel particularily horrible after a swim I will wash it properly, but if it feels good enough after a good rinse I just let it be.

If you are really worried, well I would just buy some shampoo/conditioner once you get there and just leave it with your Mother to be used by whoever visits/kept until you visit again. I typically leave a few hair supplies/skin supplies at my Mothers houses because I tend to always forget something when I pack. I like coconut oil to mositurize my hair/to help my dry skin after flying and being in the Arizona heat.

Another thing to get is a wide brimmed hat. Protect your hair and scalp from sun damage. That's what I did last July when I was there, it also helped to keep me cool. Sure I got some funny looks (as I went with an insane large wide brim over the top hat, but that's my style) but I didn't want to "burn" my hair.

Kelikea
May 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I just checked, and it is now containers of 3.4 oz or less packed in one 1-qt. zippered plastic bag. Not a whole lot of room there. Mom says she has BS, vinegar, and honey for me. I am considering packing oil for ocm, lotion, face moisturizer, and one shampoo and conditioner, mouthwash, and deodorant. The oil I use for ocm is sunflower with a touch of castor. Would that work to oil hair and body as well? I could probably get olive or coconut while there, since she would be able to use them for cooking after I leave. These regulations are for liquids, which could include foundation, so I think I will take powder and a bar soap instead of bodywash. Is there something I am forgetting?

Iolanthe13
May 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't try anything too new, right before a week in a difficult climate. I'd say stick with your routine as much as possible, maybe do a deep treatment that has worked for you in the past, and leave it at that. It's probably worth oiling your hair before the flight - that has done wonders on trans-Atlantic flights for me, at least.

As for the luggage concern, this is what I would do:
- Hopefully your mum will have vinegar and olive oil that you can use, and maybe you can borrow some of her body lotion. For a short-ish trip, a change in routine shouldn't be too harmful there.
- Put some shampoo in a travel size container, as you hopefully won't need too much of it.
- The face moisturisers should fit fine into the quart-size bag, unless they come in large bottles. If that's the case, travel size containers might help again.
- Go ahead and buy the V05 there - you'll definitely have to wash more than twice a week if you're in chlorinated water, so you'll get through the bottle most likely.
- If your mum doesn't have castor oil for the ocm, maybe you can find a small bottle? As far as I can tell it doesn't seem too expensive, and it's reasonably useful thing to have around the house.

I travel a lot and find that checking a bag really simplifies things, if you can justify it at all, but I hope my opinion helps anyway...

ETA: Oops, just saw your last post.
Can you use a stick for deodorant? Maybe your mum has mouthwash as well...
I would think you could oil your body at least with the ocm mixture, and maybe hair as well. I use EVOO and coconut oil on my body all the time and it seems fine.
Do you wear makeup other than foundation? In Arizona, you'll probably want lip balm at least, and they count that as liquid. Mascara, liquid/gel eyeliner, and lip products all count :(

If I were you, I'd really just buy small amounts of conditioner and oils there, and try to use them up. Airport security can be rather traumatic if they're in a strict mood that day, and a little wasted product is well worth the peace of mind. Besides, you might visit her again some day!

Beatnik Guy
May 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Yes -- but you can also buy stuff on arrival. :cool:

arcane
May 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I have no reconmendations as you seem to use a lot more products than I do (nothing like trying to plan for a trip to realize how much stuff you use in the course of a day).

Like do you really need facial moisturizer or can you get away with just using your body lotion lightly on your face for a week? Can you get away with just removing your makeup and not do OCM for a week? Consider little things like that will help make your packing a lot easier. Can't you just pick up a little travel bottle of mouthwash from the airport once your arrive? Does your Mom use mouthwash, she might already have it. Same thing with toothpaste. I never pack toothpaste when I visit my Moms because she already has some. Or again, you can buy a little travel sized one from the airport after you get there. Can you get away with just oiling your hair and leave the conditioner at home for a week?

Charybdis
May 12th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I'd buy some cheap condish when you get there and slather your hair in it before getting in the pool. If you can pick up a swim cap at Academy or some place like that, that'll keep most of the chlorinated water off your hair.

If you have *any* tendency towards dry hands, bring (or buy in Phoenix) a tube of heavy moisturizer that has petroleum jelly or mineral oil in it. Something like this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nivea-Extended-Moisture-Hand-Creme-1.7-oz/19199857) or this (http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/vaseline-total-moisture-healthy-hand-%26-nail-conditioning-lotion/ID=prod2560884-product). I get terrible eczema on my hands for the first couple of weeks in a desert climate if I don't slather them in a heavy cream, and it really does need to have petroleum products -- plant-based oils don't create the same kind of barrier against moisture loss.

Other liquids/gels you might need are toothpaste and saline solution (if you wear contacts).

But don't worry! You're just going to Phoenix, so you'll be able to get anything you need there. Have a great trip!

CAPA7
May 12th, 2012, 02:05 PM
What I do is buy empty, tiny travel containers. That way I decant the amount of products I will need, I am able to have all my "essentials" with me, and it all fits in one of those see-through bags. Empty 50ml bottles, I find, are perfect for conditioner and more than enough for shampoo.
For moisturiser and hair gel, for example, a tiny pot like the ones The Body Shops put free samples in, is just the right size. You can pack quite a few of those!

Kelikea
May 12th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Since I remove my makeup with the oil, that's why I was wondering if my ocm (sunflower and castor) could double as a hair and body oil. If I stick to my ocm, I might not need extra face moisturizer, just use a bit of the body moisturizer watered down. I don't usually oil my hair, but thought it might be helpful with the chlorine. I should have a container small enough for the oil so that I don't have to buy any. I will ask my mom to stock the V05 for me. I guess the deodorant is technically a solid(stick) but I still put it in the ziplock to avoid leakage. Yes, and I will have to add lip balm and mascara. All of my other makeup is powder or solid. And my perfume. It is a rollerball. I had no trouble traveling last time with it in my purse. So..in my ziplock:
3oz shampoo
3oz sunflower/castor oil blend for ocm/hair/body
3oz moisturizer for face/body
lip balm
deodorant
mascara
perfume rollerball
I can ask mom to provide V05, sunscreen, mouthwash and she already has BS, vinegar, honey. Am I missing anything? Do you think this will fit in a quart ziplock?

door72067
May 12th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I don't know if this would work, but could you possibly mail full-sized products to your mom's? then, depending on what is left at the end of your visit, either decant into 4oz bottles or mail the larger bottles home to yourself

I don't know what the cost would be to do so, but it might be worth looking into for the peace of mind knowing you will have everything you need and not have to deal with new products and a new climate

arcane
May 12th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I carry my make up in my purse, and it is never counted towards my carry on bag limit (I have done this on many international flights). I bring my foundation, some powder, and a lipstick as my basics. Not once was I questioned about their presence. This could be a second option for you if you can't fit everything into the clear bag. Also you can wrap other things in bags, such as your deorderant and not have it count towards the space for your liquids.

Carolyn
May 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I would buy the least expensive and readily available items on arrival. I'm pretty sure things like mascara don't need to be put into your quart bag. If I was not going to make a return visit for a long time I would mail things home or pay to check a bag on the return trip. You may do some shopping and pick up things to bring home while you are visiting your mom.

swearnsue
May 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Ask Mom to turn on the humidifiers and vaporizors since humidity is about 6% right now! I like the ideas about swim caps and conditioner before swimming. I like to use pure aloe vera gel on wet or dry hair as needed in case of static electricity if the house is too dry. The weather is absolutely beautiful this time of year, you are going to have a blast!

Kelikea
June 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know if glass containers are allowed inside of the quart-size plastic bag? I just made some cold cream, which could double as face/body moisturizer, poured into the Burt's Bees pore-refining mask glass jar, which is sold as 1oz. It really holds 2oz or 1/4 cup of liquids, so it should still be under the 3.4oz requirement, but wondering if glass is ok. I'd hate to have to give it up.

brave
June 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
I routinely put my lipbalms/glosses/lipsticks just in with the rest of my backpack, not separated into a bag, and no one has ever said anything.

Yes, your OCM should be able to double for hair/body oil. Glass containers should be allowed, I've never had an issue with that either.

I think all of that should fit in a ziplock. If not, remove the deodorant and put it in your luggage, if they call you on it just leave it behind.