PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner Confusion

anime_length
May 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Hello LHC,

I have waist length, curly hair (I'm also in Arizona, so naturally, my hair is very dry). And I'm completely out of shampoo and conditioner. So I want to know what you guys think I should get since I'd have to buy something new anyway. ^___^

I've used tons of stuff, but what I liked best was Frederic Fekkai's Reconstructor but it is so expensive and I know there must be something you like better.

So any advice?

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Well, say more moisture because of where you are, but what does your hair like? Protien, moisture, silicones, heavy products, light products? Is is curly, wavy, straight? all of these are factors. Just saw your hair is curly, I suggest some moisture rich conditioner and shampoo, maybe sulfate free? Have you tried CO yet? it might help with dryness and making the curls nice.

Dragon Faery
May 11th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Nature's Gate and Desert Essences make some nice moisturizing stuff. I can't speak for their shampoos, as I only use conditioner, but they're good brands, especially if you're interested in being silicone and sulfate-free. A lot of people also like Aubrey Organics. I've not tried it, so I can't say yea or nay. I'm in a low-population area, but I can find all of those brands at health food stores.

There are a lot of people on here who use products by Garnier Fructis, Tresemme, Herbal Essences, and Organix. Those should be easy to find in almost any Walmart.

I'm sure others will chime in with what works for them. :)
Happy hunting!

Dragon Faery
May 11th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Also, welcome to LHC! :) :flower:

Tabihito
May 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM
A big thing in Arizona is probably going to be avoiding humectants, since they're going to actually draw moisture out of your hair in the arid climate, since they're obviously not getting much moisture from the air. Humectants will basically take in moisture from whichever happens to be 'wettest'.

For this reason, you may be better off with silicones, if your hair doesn't hate them too much. If you're interested in CO, I'd try avoiding humectant ingredients, since they're likely to do you more harm than good.

From personal experience, humectants generally work quite well for me, as I live in a very wet semi-tropical climate. However, last summer we had a severe drought and much lower humidity than normal, and I actually had to start avoiding them.

darklyndsea
May 11th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Once you decide what you want and don't want to be in your conditioner (e.g. humectants), here's (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products) a list of ingredients so you can check if the products contain them.

anime_length
May 12th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Also, welcome to LHC! :) :flower:
Thanks! ^__^ I can't wait to get my hair back to the way it was in NJ lol

anime_length
May 12th, 2012, 04:48 PM
A big thing in Arizona is probably going to be avoiding humectants, since they're going to actually draw moisture out of your hair in the arid climate, since they're obviously not getting much moisture from the air. Humectants will basically take in moisture from whichever happens to be 'wettest'.

For this reason, you may be better off with silicones, if your hair doesn't hate them too much. If you're interested in CO, I'd try avoiding humectant ingredients, since they're likely to do you more harm than good.

From personal experience, humectants generally work quite well for me, as I live in a very wet semi-tropical climate. However, last summer we had a severe drought and much lower humidity than normal, and I actually had to start avoiding them.
Yeah, my hair likes things that weigh it down because it is... a force of nature. lol I'm a 2c. (it gets harder to see the curls as it gets longer). My hair is a little longer than waist length, but I want to grow it to classic or mid-thigh length.

I've never had anything bad happen with silicones, but I always heard they were bad for your hair, so I avoided them.

My hair is also brittle, so I think I need something that is really moisturizing. I'm going to get a deep treatment too. I haven't really set up a firm routine yet.

To some level I don't care about price. But as my hair gets longer and needs more product, I'm going to want to switch to a conditioner that is cheaper than the $35 Fekkai. Because there are people starving in Trenton. [O__O ...lol didn't mean to make things get quite so real...]

luxepiggy
May 12th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I've never had anything bad happen with silicones, but I always heard they were bad for your hair, so I avoided them.

Just so you know, the Fekkai reconstructor does have silicones in it.

Having looked at the rest of the ingredients list, it looks like your hair likes products that contain a high proportion of fatty alcohols, along with protein, panthenol, some oils, and mostly cyclic silicones combined with a heavy linear silicone (dimethiconol).

Vampyria
May 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Hello!

I'm in love with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. It's really rich and moisturizing and it's suppose to be for brittle and dry hair. It's natural so it doesn't contain silicons, but it still leaves my hair soft.

anime_length
May 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Just so you know, the Fekkai reconstructor does have silicones in it.

Having looked at the rest of the ingredients list, it looks like your hair likes products that contain a high proportion of fatty alcohols, along with protein, panthenol, some oils, and mostly cyclic silicones combined with a heavy linear silicone (dimethiconol).

Oh. You.. are completely right. It does.

& That is a very technical explanation. Honestly, I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like what you're saying is that I should be fine with a conventional conditioner. Am I wrong?

luxepiggy
May 12th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Oh. You.. are completely right. It does.

& That is a very technical explanation. Honestly, I'm not sure I understand. It sounds like what you're saying is that I should be fine with a conventional conditioner. Am I wrong?

LOL! Sorry about that . . . my inner chemistry nerd snuck out (^(oo)^)`

Look for conditioners that are designed for dry or damaged hair. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner (http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-triple-moisture-daily-deep-conditioner/qxp86554?catid=183400) might be a good one to try - the ingredients list has a lot in common with the Fekkai product you like.

anime_length
May 12th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Look for conditioners that are designed for dry or damaged hair. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner (http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-triple-moisture-daily-deep-conditioner/qxp86554?catid=183400) might be a good one to try - the ingredients list has a lot in common with the Fekkai product you like.
You are a godsend! I think I'll get that then. ^__^ Never be ashamed to be a chem nerd, they're the sexiest people on earth!

HappyHair87
May 12th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Okay my top fave brand is Oyin Handmade (online retailer) but lately i've been using v05 moisture milks shampoo and its pretty darn decent if i must say so myself...and i have kinky/curly hair and it doesn't leave my hair feeling stripped...i also like to use their conditioners to CO wash.

Herbal Essence Totally Twisted is also really good if you don't mine 'cones. I know ppl also like the Hello Hydration one but i can't tolerate the scent...it does work really good i just hate the smell personally. I haven't used HE in a while bc of the cones....i try to only use cones whenever i straighten my hair.

anime_length
May 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM

I just wanted to let you know that I did buy it and yeah, it works just as well as the really expensive stuff. lol [i'm kind of bursting with joy right now!] Thanks so much for all of your help.

luxepiggy
May 12th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I did buy it and yeah, it works just as well as the really expensive stuff. lol [i'm kind of bursting with joy right now!] Thanks so much for all of your help.

Wow you are fast! :p Glad to hear it worked out for you! (^(oo)^)v