PDA

View Full Version : Big Head or Thick Hair?

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 03:51 PM
A thought occurred to me in one of the other threads. I think it's possible I don't have thick hair at all, rather a giant head! More scalp = more hair, right?

So I just measured:

From top of ears, horizontally from the back = 12"

From top of forehead to where neck begins = 12.25"

Whole way around my head, starting at eyebrow line = 22"
^* Most accurate measurement.

I'd be curious to see what some other people measure the whole way around their head at the eyebrow line and what their i/ii/iii classification is. I know this isn't the most accurate way of doing this, so I did include the first two measurements but the third one seems the most accurate to describe.

I know this is goofy, but bear with me. :cheese: If you can think of a better way of doing this (cough, hair math folks, cough) by all means.

ladylowtide
May 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I too have considered this. I am too traumatized about the size of my enormous head to measure it though :D

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I too have considered this. I am too traumatized about the size of my enormous head to measure it though :D

LOL I considered that this might be a "too much" question, but once curiosity set in I had to know!

afu
May 11th, 2012, 04:18 PM
hehe, this post made me giggle! A very good thought.

Mine is 20" if i measured correctly

Ephemeral
May 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Of course i had to jump up and grab the tape! Mine is 22" also...

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM
If you have a bigger head, that requires more hair then normal to cover it, doesn't that mean you also have thick hair?

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 04:24 PM
hehe, this post made me giggle! A very good thought.

Mine is 20" if i measured correctly

That's one vote for me having a GIANT HEAD. Must be all them college brains! LOL

jel
May 11th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I don't quite understand your head measurement, but I know that my hair is actually thin on top - it just grows low down my neck like in a Neanderthal! ;) That's why, on the whole, my nape ponytail measurement is in high ii (3.75 inches)

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 04:27 PM
If you have a bigger head, that requires more hair then normal to cover it, doesn't that mean you also have thick hair?

I did think about this, too! But it seems like it would be spread out more... so you could have a ii/iii or iii classification, but still appear to have thin hair. I honestly have no clue, but I thought it was funny! :D

What I'm really saying is I want to see someone with a less than 20" head with iii hair. I think it would be phenomenal. :D

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I did think about this, too! But it seems like it would be spread out more... so you could have a ii/iii or iii classification, but still appear to have thin hair. I honestly have no clue, but I thought it was funny! :D

What I'm really saying is I want to see someone with a less than 20" head with iii hair. I think it would be phenomenal. :D

I haven't ever measured my head...but I have iii hair? lol
This is such a funny idea for a thread! I still think you have thick hair, regardless of your head size though.

afu
May 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM
That's one vote for me having a GIANT HEAD. Must be all them college brains! LOL

haha, i wouldn't worry - im pretty much tiny all over. Im always being told i resemble an elf/pixie/fairy, you should feel lucky a 22" head probably classes you as a normal human being!

darklyndsea
May 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM
23 1/2"...I always knew I had a big head. Though you have to consider that hair thickness is going to influence the around-the-head measurement, including how it's distributed on the head. Though my hair's less dense at eyebrow level and above than it is at below eyebrow level, so I don't have *that* excuse.

MsBubbles
May 11th, 2012, 05:55 PM
haha, i wouldn't worry - im pretty much tiny all over.

I'm pretty much gigantic all over, except my feet and head. So I'm a bit football/rugby ball shaped there.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately too. Compared to the rest of me, I have a disproportionately small head. I don't think it's 'cute' or 'classic' looking. If you look at cartoon/anime figures, even all the way back at Daphne on Scooby-Doo, heads and hair are so big, and bodies are so small. Hollywood celebs seem to want to comply with this image too, in their lollipop aesthetic. I have always thought it was imposed upon us in the media, from Barbies to cartoons, etc., to have big heads and small bodies. So I've never understood why people with larger heads feel bad about that.

I think head size, nape hairline and distribution of hair growth on your head makes a difference in how the hair hangs down your back, especially if you have dead straight hair.

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm not ashamed (or proud!) of my big head! I just find the whole thing very funny -- all this time we spend fussing over what looks good with what type and circumference and do I have thin hair do I have thick hair, which looks good which way, yadda yadda... I just had to throw out that third variable to be difficult. I think pony circumference is a good personal reference to chart growth, but as far as how thin or thick it makes your hair look, I think it's pretty much bollocks.

(p.s. UK friends, am I using that term right?)

MsBubbles
May 11th, 2012, 06:40 PM
You might not be ashamed, and I wasn't addressing you in particular on that one. But some people are. On the other hand, I am not a fan of having a tiny head, myself. :)

cwarren
May 11th, 2012, 07:13 PM
It would explain why my sister's hair is so much thicker than mine! LOL!

Mesmerise
May 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
My head seems to be fractionally over 21"... I always thought it was big for my size cause I am very short! My best friend in high school was 8" taller and had a smaller head (it fit her frame though, which is very, very narrow).

I was just thinking how I know of small kids with thick hair (at least high ii to iii in thickness) and they have kid sized (ie small) heads! Maybe their hair will thicken up as they grow bigger or will the follicles just errm stretch apart more so their hair isn't so thick (hmm doesn't sound realistic, as a lot of kids have fine hair that thickens as they age :D). My DD has quite thick hair (probably ii/iii... it's extremely fine so she has a LOT of hair follicles... hers are just soooo... close together... makes mine look pitiful). And I noticed a school friend of hers who has CUT what was probably TBL hair (:() to SL and it looks super, super thick now (looked thick before too... but that triangulation that occurs when thick hairs cut their hair into a blunt SL style makes it look really thick).

Anyway... errm if you're worried about the size of your big heads, watch this for a laugh http://www.theonion.com/video/bratz-dolls-may-give-young-girls-unrealistic-expec,14303/

Dorothy
May 11th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I am at 23 and 3/4 at eyebrow level. At hatbrim level - hairline in the front - it's 34. I can't wear women's hats, I need large men's hats. My hair is only medium thick.

florenonite
May 12th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I'm at 22", too. IIRC from when I knitted a hat many moons ago, my head was small to average-sized.

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I'm at 22", too. IIRC from when I knitted a hat many moons ago, my head was small to average-sized.

Many moons ago..love that, I use that phrase also!

auburntressed
May 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
My head is 23 1/2 inches around at eyebrow level.

Kelikea
May 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I don't think 22' is a large head. I always thought my head was rather small, as hats are usually too big, and my head measures between 21.5-22'.

darklyndsea
May 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I don't think 22' is a large head. I always thought my head was rather small, as hats are usually too big, and my head measures between 21.5-22'.
I know you didn't mean it this way, but 22'=22 feet (22"=22 inches), so I cracked up. (I just woke up; I'm not awake enough yet for typos to not be funny)

mzBANGBANG
May 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I know you didn't mean it this way, but 22'=22 feet (22"=22 inches), so I cracked up. (I just woke up; I'm not awake enough yet for typos to not be funny)

Oh my goodness, think of the pony circumference on a 22 ft head! Is this proof LHC has eaten my brains?

Apriori
May 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM
My head also measures 22'' all the way around measured at my eyebrows and my mom always tells me that I have such a small head :D

schweedie
May 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Whole way around my head, starting at eyebrow line = 22"
^* Most accurate measurement.
It might be worth noting that if someone has thick/voluminous hair that's going to add to the circumference of the head, though! ;)

Mine seemed to be around 21 inches, with hair in the lower half of ii. :)

spidermom
May 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Either way, I gotta a lot of hair; there's no denying it.

arcane
May 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'm 22.75" around at the eye brows, but I definatly have a big head (my Mom refers to it as a big Irish head). Most hats don't fit me. When I was a kid no childrens hats fit me from the time I was 5 or so. I still remember my Grade 4 teacher saying I had a big head (it wasn't said in a mean way, I just remember her shock and my laughing, I wish I could remember the context correctly).

Phalaenopsis
May 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Well here's a funny fact to mess it all up. :p The thickness of your hair is also included into the thickness of your head... So it's logical for people with iii thickness to have a bigger head circumference.

mzBANGBANG
May 12th, 2012, 12:15 PM
It might be worth noting that if someone has thick/voluminous hair that's going to add to the circumference of the head, though! ;)

Mine seemed to be around 21 inches, with hair in the lower half of ii. :)

Well here's a funny fact to mess it all up. :p The thickness of your hair is also included into the thickness of your head... So it's logical for people with iii thickness to have a bigger head circumference.

It's not a very accurate point of measurement anyway, I mean unless we're shaving our heads and making plaster molds, we can't really compare LOL. I did put my hair in a half up to get my measurement and pulled as close to the scalp as possible, however in my humor of posting this thread not all of the technicalities translated!

Naphthylamine
May 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mine measures 21" and I'm on the thicker side of ii.

torrilin
May 12th, 2012, 12:32 PM
24" head, 3" ponytail, F strands.

Between 18 and 22" covers most ladies hat sizes, with 20-22" seeming more typical. Most knitted hat patterns assume a "one size fits all" ladies hat can be in the 20-22" range without causing problems... and that means I need a somewhat looser gauge or to add a few stitches in order to have a hat fit comfortably.

Most men's hats are made to fit the same size range btw, and when I've seen knitters do head size surveys, in fact most of the time men don't have notably larger heads.

MagicalMystery
May 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM
My head circumference is 22.25 inches and from my forehead to where the neck begins it's 13 inches. My family is cursed with huge heads. hahaha That AND my hair is thick.