PDA

View Full Version : Duchess of Cambridge "elaborate updo" - I've seen more impressive on LHC

Tabitha
May 11th, 2012, 03:34 PM
She is as famed for her long flowing locks as she is for her impeccable dress sense.

But tonight the Duchess of Cambridge showed off an elegant chignon that is bound to send ladies running to their hairdressers for an elaborate 'up do'.

Her brunette locks had been curled and coiffed to within an inch of their life by a team from the Richard Ward salon in London's Chelsea into intricate knotted bun that showed off her swan-like shoulders.(It's the Daily Fail, they don't realise that swans are famed for their necks, not their "shoulders" :rolleyes:)

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9145/docfront.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/docfront.jpg/)

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9529/docback.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/docback.jpg/)

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9881/docside.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/docside.jpg/)

Loads more pics and "full story" (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2143134/Kate-Middleton-Duchess-Cambridge-stunning-teal-dress-London-Olympic-gala-concert.html#ixzz1ubB72xKy)

Honestly though, I think this looks decidedly unfocussed, untidily done and amateurish! for once, there are decent-sized back of head photos if anyone wants to replicate it.

Curly Hermione
May 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM
It's perfectly fine, and looks lovely on her, but I have definitely seen better on LHCers, and they haven't needed hair that has been "curled and coiffed to within an inch of its life" by some fancy salon. Honestly, so many people here (not me, but still!) can do a lot more with a lot less hassle. I still like Kate, but I just think maybe she should join us and learn to do her own amazing updos!

Beatnik Guy
May 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
A very mediocre updo. Dress looks more unusual though.

afu
May 11th, 2012, 03:49 PM
it's nice but i do agree - LHC'ers do it better :)

Her dress is stunning though

Honeyfall
May 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I want that dress!!

She has such lovely hair in general - so thick and shiny - but I agree with everyone about the updo.

pepperminttea
May 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I quite like it, it reminds me a lot of the kind of updos LetsMakeitUp1 on youtube (www.youtube.com/user/LetsMakeitUp1) does, but she's better at hiding the pins than Kate's stylists were. :p

But for me, the real wow is the dress; that is beautiful!

Madora
May 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Well, give her an "A" for trying to look chic and not shaggy..or what have you.

Sure beats the heck out of the recent shots of Helena B. Carter's horrific hairstyling during several DARK SHADOWS interviews! God, talk about ghastly!

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Good style, poor execution. Looks like something I'd produce without a mirror...

pepperminttea
May 11th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Sure beats the heck out of the recent shots of Helena B. Carter's horrific hairstyling during several DARK SHADOWS interviews! God, talk about ghastly!

I don't know, I think she works it, going by this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDZLC6RSLpI). She seems to have naturally curly or at least wurly hair (not just going by that video), and the wildness of it suits her pleasant eccentricity. And look (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acpITxNcYQ), her husband matches! ;) It's clear she doesn't fit the "Hollywood mould" and that endears me more to her, if anything. I'm kind of bored of "polished" styles and flat-ironed hair.

Bianca
May 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM
It looks just fine !

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM
It looks just fine !

I agree, but the accompanying text is so over the top!

earthnut
May 11th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Hair is OK, but I love that dress!

trillian
May 11th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Is anyone else tempted to have a "hairstyle in?" Where we all band together, select a day, and re-create the attempted hairstyle of the oft-photographed?

didrash
May 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I like it... I really do not understand why you guys hate it so, but everyone has a right to have an opinion and express it.

shutterpillar
May 11th, 2012, 04:23 PM
ooooohh.... forget the updo. i'll take the dress!

Madora
May 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I don't know, I think she works it, going by this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDZLC6RSLpI). She seems to have naturally curly or at least wurly hair (not just going by that video), and the wildness of it suits her pleasant eccentricity. And look (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acpITxNcYQ), her husband matches! ;) It's clear she doesn't fit the "Hollywood mould" and that endears me more to her, if anything. I'm kind of bored of "polished" styles and flat-ironed hair.

Thank you for the HBC link, Pepperminttea.

If she's going for the eccentric artist look, she's certainly nailed it.

But I prefer my Tinseltown celebrities to look like at least they ran a comb through their hair. Give me the days when stars REALLY looked like stars..i.e. Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn!

Tabitha
May 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I like it... I really do not understand why you guys hate it so, but everyone has a right to have an opinion and express it.
I didn't say I "hated" it. My view is that for all the hyperbole and fuss about it, I've seen more elegant better-executed updos here.

WaterMusic
May 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
I really like it, I'm not going to judge the hairstyle based on how annoying the accompanying article is. I think it's cute, and frankly I do think it is well executed. I don't understand what about it looks amateurish...

PrincessIdril
May 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I like it, certainly a lot better than anything I could produce!
But I will admit I was paying more attention to the dress than her hair...

didrash
May 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah, but this is the reporters' fault, not hers. It seems a lot of reporters are obsessed with her - or trying to create an artificial hype, I don't know which. She is charming, and one would expect in her position to have pretentious and stunning hair. The updo is something a regular woman could also have, and that is why I like it.

I didn't say I "hated" it. My view is that for all the hyperbole and fuss about it, I've seen more elegant better-executed updos here.

torrilin
Actually, that looks remarkably like Torrin's LHC Combo Bun video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuvMCv-HIao&list=PLF3508F6411A91FDE&index=82&feature=plpp_video). There's a similar thread. The inspiration picture was a side view only, so some ladies went for only one braid the way the Duchess's hair is, and others went Torrin's route with two. There's a fairly long thread relating to it, but I'm not sure what to search on to dig it out, and Torrin doesn't link it in her video info. (maybe someone else has it bookmarked?)

Either way, it's a cute idea, and totally attainable for us mere mortals. Very nice, and the Duchess and her hairdresser both deserve brownie points.

zombi
Well, I think it's very pretty and I really like this type of style.

HintOfMint
May 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM
What are you guys talking about? Amateurish? I think it looks gorgeous! It might take me a while to figure out exactly how it was done, which I think qualifies it as elaborate. Besides, it's not sloppy at all! There are flyaways, sure, but that's because it's natural hair and humidity happens.

I plan to replicate this style as soon as I have the time.

Jesus, what a bunch of haters. It's the LHC, such behavior is really unbecoming:rolleyes:.

Wavelength
May 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Personally I think it looks really good! But y'know, to each their own I guess.

I think the style is somewhat asymmetrical, which can look like it's a bit off from random photos. But in this case I think that's a feature, not a bug. ;)

Anyway, I like it. It's nice to see a celebrity hairstyle that looks like it's real hair in a classy updo, rather than bunch of extensions slicked down with tons of product.

TheMechaGinger
May 11th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Her hair is very pretty but not jaw-dropping for me. I'm still way more impressed with the things Torrin manages with her hair, that lady rocks. I'm loving the dress though!

Kathie
May 11th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I don’t think it looks bad. But a little more attention to detail e.g., hiding the pins and making some of the sections more defined and glossy would of made it great.

Wavelength
May 11th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I agree that the hairpins are a bit too visible, but I wonder if that's more to do with the Duchess' hair than the intended style. Some of us on LHC have hair that likes to spit out pins.

skraprchik
May 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Love the dress! That's all I would have noticed from her overall look.

Johanna
May 11th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I like it, I'd also love it a lot more if it brings elegant updos back into popular society :) Some of the girls I see around where I live would look gorgeous with a nice sleek feminine updo.

Nenwing
May 11th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I think it is very pretty! Its nice to see her with a pretty updo that looks on the more natural side. I like how she never looks too "processed".

MonicaJean
May 11th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I personally think it is beautiful and doesn't look sloppy at all... but I really adore that style of updo. It doesn't look pulled so tight and harsh.

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Oh please! The Duchess of Cambridge cares far more of other things then what I think of her hairstyle! I stand by my opinion, it's sloppy. The dress is much better. And the article is ridiculous.

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Oh please! The Duchess of Cambridge cares far more of other things then what I think of her hairstyle! I stand by my opinion, it's sloppy. The dress is much better. And the article is ridiculous.

Lol! I agree with this! So truely and hilariously said. I think the updo is merely "alright". The only reason I can't replicate it (and its not because its too elaborate...) is because it is so darn messy, I can't see clearly what is going on! I see how some like it and I respect their opinions also.

xoerincolleen
May 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I like it, I think it's very pretty! And that dress is GORGEOUS! She always looks very pretty and put together.

Kaelee
May 11th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I like it, and think it's beautiful! I've seen better on LHC though, as well.

AnqeIicDemise
May 11th, 2012, 10:46 PM
What are you guys talking about? Amateurish? I think it looks gorgeous! It might take me a while to figure out exactly how it was done, which I think qualifies it as elaborate. Besides, it's not sloppy at all! There are flyaways, sure, but that's because it's natural hair and humidity happens.

I plan to replicate this style as soon as I have the time.

Jesus, what a bunch of haters. It's the LHC, such behavior is really unbecoming:rolleyes:.

I've been dying to respond to this all day. Stupid phone. xD

Anyhow, its not so much about 'hating' the duchess or anything of the sort. We're just calling the 'do for what it is -- a gorgeous, *amateur* up do. Its good, its presentable, but for someone of Kate's stature, she really deserves better. Whether she cares two hoots about how 'perfect' her hair is is beyond me. She seems like a sweet, down to earth girl.

Yes, her hair could be spitting out pins left and right, but really.. the stylist could've done a better job at finding pins that match her hair better.

So, over all, the style is very pretty and I will replicate it (maybe. I really do hate pins) but for what I suspect she paid for, the woman was jipped. Unless she did it herself.. and in that case, that's pretty damned good for someone whose living ISN'T made on styling a persons' hair.

AnqeIicDemise
May 11th, 2012, 10:49 PM
PS: I adore that dress.. wow

Hairwish
May 11th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I think it looks fine. But the dress is absolutely gorgeous!

Blond On Blond
May 11th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Guess I'm the minority here: I don't like the dress at all :D
The updo is OK.

Phexlyn
May 12th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I think this looks like the average "elaborate" red carpet updo. They could have done a lot worse, actually, and in my opinion it suits her very well. I like how the front turned out, it accentuates her face, but the back could have been a bit more tidy (but I think she likes that little touch of messyness).

The dress, however, is absolutely stunning *drools* I would totally wear that for a wedding gown (except that I already have one).

What I don't like, though, are the dark red painted toenails. I mean, really? A teal dress, silver sparkly heels and red polish just don't match.

Mrs.Witherup
May 12th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I like the front but like someone else already said, for a woman of her stature she deserved better. I mean come on, I can hide my pins (they pop out occasionally, lol) You know she was charged an astronomical amount of money for that!

Jing
May 12th, 2012, 02:16 AM
It has a rather strange profile in the back. The fact that it's a bit messy might be deliberate (apart from the obvious pins, that's just sloppy). I'm not a fan of highly elaborate updos, anyway.

maria_asa
May 12th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I really like the dress and I think the hair is ok. Not amazing in any way but not too bad either. I don't like that you can see the hair pins in places though.

DragonLady
May 12th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Wowza, but that dress is gorgeous!

/me wants

Gogobaby
May 12th, 2012, 03:21 AM
It's slightly messy but it's nice. Yes I agree with everyone RE the dress! The two go together very well. The teal and lace help to pull off the look (do I sound like a celebrity stylist yet??)

Jing
May 12th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Is anyone else tempted to have a "hairstyle in?" Where we all band together, select a day, and re-create the attempted hairstyle of the oft-photographed?

That sounds awesome! Not that I have the length or skill to participate. But it would be immense fun to see? :o

Viola88
May 12th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Maybe the stylist was going for a hair look that was a little messy since the dress is so elegant...and yes, I watch too much Fashion Police :D

newbeginning
May 12th, 2012, 03:57 AM
I think it looks really nice. I couldn't do that updo on myself.

PrincessIdril
May 12th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Loads of you are complaining about visible pins... Can I just say that I can't see them?

faellen
May 12th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Swan-like shoulders???! Lol, oh Daily Fail, you never cease to amuse me.

It seems to me that, like Diana, Kate is not much more than a clothes horse.

Libbylou
May 12th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Yes that dress is something great. The hair is pretty, needs a hair toy.
This article was obviously written by someone who is not very long hair savvy. Some non long hair's think a quick bun or twist is an elaborate updo.
Wonder what they would write if arc691 worked some of her braid magic on the Duchess?

Syrena
May 12th, 2012, 04:49 AM
I love the dress! the cut, the colour, the way it fits on her figure! I agree, the hair stylist could do better job and play more with braids in her hair and with the actual "chignon".

Tisiloves
May 12th, 2012, 04:51 AM
That sounds awesome! Not that I have the length or skill to participate. But it would be immense fun to see? :o

We could try Quinn's prom hairstyle from Glee, she's only UBL and I want to see if it can be done without a ton of product.

florenonite
May 12th, 2012, 05:31 AM
I like the style. I think I read somewhere that she did her own make-up for her wedding, so it wouldn't surprise me if she'd done the style herself, in which case I think it's quite well-done. Never mind, I see in the article she had it done professionally.

The article is too tame by the Fail's standards for me to get worked up about it :shrug:

It seems to me that, like Diana, Kate is not much more than a clothes horse.

I'm assuming you mean that the media sees her as just a clothes horse, not that she herself is, in which case I agree. She strikes me a reasonably intelligent, but, of course, as far as the Fail is concerned women's intelligence isn't important, it's their looks that matter.

Unofficial_Rose
May 12th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Style is lovely, dress is beautiful.

But dear God, the standard of writing. It is so bad it actually sounds as if the journalist is taking the p1ss. "Ladies", "updo", "coiffed" "flowing locks", ugh - is this the Hyacinth Bouquet school of twee, anachronistic journalism?

Beaglebuddy
May 12th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Her hair looks beautiful, just as beautiful as any style I have seen.

julliams
May 12th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I think her hair looks beautiful although I can see pins which is a pet hate of mine personally. But I really like her hair and it suits her well.

Carolyn
May 12th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I like it except for the pins showing. I'm a big fan of the slightly messy styles that are so in right now. I think Kate has fabulous hair and I've always wished she would branch out into some other styles. I adore her signature styles but I've always wondered why she didn't vary it a little more often. That dress! OMG that dress! It's absolutely stunning and so is she.

Shimmy
May 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
She could wear a potato sack and still look beautiful :)

florenonite
May 12th, 2012, 08:33 AM
OK, I've been staring at this style, and I've got the front bit worked out: French braid on the "small" side of the part, slight poof at the back on the other side, swoopy bangs. What I can't for the life of me work out is the bun. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't care if it's the same or not, but I can't think of any buns that would yield a similar effect in that style.

Alvrodul
May 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I think the hairstyle is quite nice - but it pales in comparison to the gown. That was completely gorgeous!! :thudpile:
As for the media swooning over her updo, and describing it as "elaborate" - for most, such an updo is elaborate, but then, anything more involved than, say, a French braid would probably be described so. Here on LHC, though, we are used to each others' lovely updos and pretty hairtoys. :)

racrane
May 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I think it looks pretty, but you are right that there are very accomplished people here with amazing skills at doing updos.

I like her hair, but I think it would look even better long. :D

Jing
May 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
We could try Quinn's prom hairstyle from Glee, she's only UBL and I want to see if it can be done without a ton of product.

I don't want TV. Which is kind of detrimental to keeping up with celebrity hair styles. :p

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I don't want TV. Which is kind of detrimental to keeping up with celebrity hair styles. :p
I don't want TV, but I have it, lol, and with a family adicted to Glee, I sadly know who Quinn is....what was her prom style again?

lushlocks
May 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Guess I'm the minority here: I don't like the dress at all :D
The updo is OK.
I was starting to think I was alone on this. Glad I'm not the only one. I usually see her in pics with her hair down so compared to that, I suppose this does seem elaborate.

Neneka
May 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
She looks gorgeous. Her legs look super long! The up do is nice and looks good on her.

pepperminttea
May 12th, 2012, 11:32 AM
But dear God, the standard of writing. It is so bad it actually sounds as if the journalist is taking the p1ss. "Ladies", "updo", "coiffed" "flowing locks", ugh - is this the Hyacinth Bouquet school of twee, anachronistic journalism?

It's the Daily Mail, and they're talking about a royal, so yes. :p

woolyleprechaun
May 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM
*sighs* She looks simply radiant! When I saw the pics, all I could think of is how much like a fairytale princess she looks. OK, so its a tad imperfect, but I feel it adds to the overall look of easy elegance.
That girl was BORN in a floor length gown. Incase you havent guessed, I love the royal couple something rotten ;)

spidermom
May 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Oh my goodness; I think her hair looks lovely, also the dress.

Ishje
May 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I like the updo, but it does not look like it was done by a team of hairstylists.
it kinda looks like she did it herself, and that is probably why I like it.
but knowing that it was done by a team of hairstylists, it is a bit disappointing because well, I would expect them to do a better job.

she looks stunning in her dress though, and the hairstyle really suits her!

Tisiloves
May 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I don't want TV, but I have it, lol, and with a family adicted to Glee, I sadly know who Quinn is....what was her prom style again?

It was a swooshy French twist, it just looked a little overdone. There was a really good shot of the back of her head but I can't find a screen shot.

morrigan*
May 12th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I love the back of her dress :D

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
It was a swooshy French twist, it just looked a little overdone. There was a really good shot of the back of her head but I can't find a screen shot.

Oh, right, now I think i remeber...it was a bit overdone, the one on that show that has good hair IMO is Rachel and I think she wears extentions....

Shesta
May 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I love the back of her dress :D

This exactly!

Tisiloves
May 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Oh, right, now I think i remeber...it was a bit overdone, the one on that show that has good hair IMO is Rachel and I think she wears extentions....

She definitly has a clip in fringe. I just picked Quinn because she's the only one I can think of who has hair as short as mine.

xoxophelia
May 12th, 2012, 01:49 PM
:shrug: not really interested. The dress is nice but the raccoon eye makeup is really doing no favors.

ladyofrohan
May 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I think it's a pretty updo, but I'd be interested in seeing what that kind of braid-and-loopies style would look like with really long hair.

Mommyof4
May 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I like it.. It wouldn't take me more than 20 minutes to style someone's hair like that, but maybe that was what she was going for? A classic and easy-to-wear updo?

rock007junkie
May 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
It looks absolutely beautiful! Let's not hate. Let's keep in mind that Kate does not spend as much time as we do on TLHC. So with that into account this might actually be "elaborate"

HobbitMopHead
May 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM
It's actually very beautiful. If you think about it, it is pretty elaborate compared to how she normally wears it.

It really just depends on personal preference, though. I have seen way more complicated stuff on this site and they are all well done but I'd take this one over all of them, but that's just because I don't really like intricate hairstyling.

terylenerose
May 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
This isn't elaborate?? I could never do something like this! Have a little respect for people like me who can't even do French braids right unless they keep up the practicing. The style does look a bit messy and skewed, yes, but at least it's staying up. If you would call it "amateurish" you have very high standards. Of course, it's much easier to do it on someone else, so you have to allow for that too.
The part I can't understand is why they had to do anything to her hair besides comb it beforehand and hairspray it after. Why are you going to curl someone's hair if it's just getting put up? That's dumb, IMHO.

Valfreyja
May 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Whatever, I think it looks stunning. The dress and earring are gorgeous, too. I just love the whole thing and I love her.

She looks like how I wish the girls on the red carpet would look, or how I wish I could look.

florenonite
May 13th, 2012, 04:32 AM
. Why are you going to curl someone's hair if it's just getting put up? That's dumb, IMHO.

I suspect that the bun is actually just pinned up curls, though I'm not entirely sure.

At any rate, if you're going for a soft, romantic bun it often does look better if you curl it first, because straight hair will look too sleek and neat, and I don't think that's the effect she was going for.

hazelscythe
May 13th, 2012, 04:40 AM
I personally think it is elaborate because I can not make intricate buns and braids. My hair is no where near as nice as hers.
That dress is gorgeous.

Denebi
May 13th, 2012, 04:49 AM
She can wear anything and look stunning... The updo is quite nice it suits her and the style, but yes, it could have been a bit more in the middle and without showing the pins. However, I agree that it is elaborate. And that dress! Wow!

Carissamarie08
May 13th, 2012, 05:03 AM
I love it! Looks pretty!

Celtic Morla
May 13th, 2012, 06:22 AM
It's quite nice and I think it may give women with lOng hair in the UK the inspiration to dare to wear their hair up. The sad thing is I remebr Di growing her hair out when she was PG with Harry and trying to go this route and pwople were so negative she ended up cutting it back into the lady Di she made so famous. If anything in retrospect it showed how much she was dependent on people's opinion ; I quite liked her hair long.

What does make me laughis princess Anne has always worn her hair up the majority of the time andnone goes ape over her! She always got my respect because she never made excuses for herself even when the press would catch her swearing up a storm!

Grillz
May 13th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I love this. I think I'm going to have to try it and do it myself

torrilin
May 13th, 2012, 08:15 AM
The part I can't understand is why they had to do anything to her hair besides comb it beforehand and hairspray it after. Why are you going to curl someone's hair if it's just getting put up? That's dumb, IMHO.

A lot of hairstylists find straight hair very slippery to work with, and they don't actually know how to put it up without "texturizing" it. That's hairstylist-speak for curling iron and hair spray.

On some kinds of straight hair, this does actually improve their odds, which is why they keep doing it.

On fine hair like mine, it really doesn't do much for the tendency to spit pins. So if I have a hair stylist do anything "fancy" on me it's a plain French braid, because I know from experience that they don't have to do anything with heat to make it stay. I can take care of turning it into a "real" updo after.

That's why I'm not criticizing the Duchess's hairstylist for having pins show. If you use poor technique for a given hair type, pretty much anyone's hair will spit hair toys. No matter how good a job you thought you did, poor technique shows. And since she basically never chooses to wear her hair up... the poor stylist never gets any practice to develop good technique.

I'm really hoping she liked this updo and will repeat it fairly often for evening or hatted events... that way the practice effect can kick in, and when we finally get to see it under a tiara, it'll be amazing :).

white.chocolate
May 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I think it looks very elegant. I can't do this style with my hair, but it's something I would do on a friend's. I'm guessing that it requires a lot of bobby pins and ... hairspray...? I'll skip that last part.

see_turtle
May 13th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I love it! And the dress is too die for! And maybe it's my lousy eyes but I don't see pins....and who cares if pins show a little we all know they are there. Kate is always so beautiful.

Arya
May 13th, 2012, 05:18 PM
A lot of hairstylists find straight hair very slippery to work with, and they don't actually know how to put it up without "texturizing" it. That's hairstylist-speak for curling iron and hair spray.

On some kinds of straight hair, this does actually improve their odds, which is why they keep doing it.

On fine hair like mine, it really doesn't do much for the tendency to spit pins. So if I have a hair stylist do anything "fancy" on me it's a plain French braid, because I know from experience that they don't have to do anything with heat to make it stay. I can take care of turning it into a "real" updo after.

That's why I'm not criticizing the Duchess's hairstylist for having pins show. If you use poor technique for a given hair type, pretty much anyone's hair will spit hair toys. No matter how good a job you thought you did, poor technique shows. And since she basically never chooses to wear her hair up... the poor stylist never gets any practice to develop good technique.

I'm really hoping she liked this updo and will repeat it fairly often for evening or hatted events... that way the practice effect can kick in, and when we finally get to see it under a tiara, it'll be amazing :).

Hm.. that explains a lot of things. I've got 1b/c fine hair, and lots of it. My hair spits pins like no one's business, and even spraying and curling doesn't help. The only hairstyle that doesn't undo itself during the day is done on very damp hair. Updos have always been beyond me.

torrilin
May 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hm.. that explains a lot of things. I've got 1b/c fine hair, and lots of it. My hair spits pins like no one's business, and even spraying and curling doesn't help. The only hairstyle that doesn't undo itself during the day is done on very damp hair. Updos have always been beyond me.

Nah, they're not beyond you. Really! Just you happen to have a hair type where the common styling advice is about as wrong as it's possible to get.

As a ii/iii, your hair is pretty thick. It's harder to do updos on thick hair since it takes more length to do any given style than someone who is a ii or a i would need. In some cases, we're talking like half a meter more than a i would need. To dodge this, a lot of ii/iii's and iii's section their hair to make buns. Either several small ones arranged decoratively, or one large one where the hair is wrapped around itself. Most rose bun or vortex bun tutorials show that second method.

Most styling advice I've seen for fine hair says you should use small bobby pins. I actually use the huge 3" long roller pins if I'm using something like a bobby pin, or the regular size Goody spin pins (buy 3 packs... while you can probably get away with 2 to anchor a bun with practice, it never hurts to have spares), or U pins that are 3-3.5" long. They don't actually mean small at all... you want smaller toys for THIN hair, not fine hair. If you want to make claw clips work, try ones that are about 1" long, and use something like 3-5 around the edges of a bun to anchor it. There's nothing wrong with using more hair toys if you need to too.

Then, straight hair is slippery. When you start out trying to put it up, if the person says the style will hold with 1 hair stick, use 3-4 pins instead. Most of the buns that work with a short length (like the pencil/nautilus/lazy wrap bun family) can be held with either pins or sticks. Just use more pins. The motion to anchor things is the same - angle through the bun and away from your head to catch bun hair, then flip the toy so it's pointing straight at the bun and has caught some scalp hair, then insert the rest of the way. You can do this maneuver with spin pins too. Screw down into the bun, then flip and screw in the rest of the way along the scalp.

The one time you *should* use bobby pins is for pin curls. They're not an art I've mastered, but they can work really well for us straight haired types to fake more conventional looking hairdresser style updos.

<3OnHerSleeve
May 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I love the dress! I like the hair too but it definitely is not the most 'elaborate' thing I've ever seen.

lw8666
May 13th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Wow, she is stunning. The hair looks good to me and the dress is amazing.

Teazel
May 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
She's very beautiful, and that gown is stunning. I also like her shoes and jewellery!

My opinion on the hair: it looks okay (not great) from the front and back (apart from visible pins), but from the side doesn't please me at all. I hope her hairstyling "team" (LOL, wish I had one of those) do better in future.

BrightEyes
May 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I think she looks beautiful, her hair and dress. Coming from someone who has yet not been able to wear anything more elaborate than a french twist, I think her updo is very elegant and beautiful. I would love to be able to do it someday.

AlannaMaria
May 13th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Ametureish? I think it's gorgeous. No, not quite as impressive as some on LHC, but I think it's beautiful.

ravenreed
May 13th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I really like it from the front. I am meh about the back, but the side kind of bugs me. It looks lumpy and the proportions look odd to me. I can't explain it better than that. I would be impressed if someone managed that hairstyle for themselves, but for a professionally done hairstyle, I am not that blown away. However, I do like seeing an attempt at more elegant updo in the media.

And yes the dress outshines everything.

She's very beautiful, and that gown is stunning. I also like her shoes and jewellery!

My opinion on the hair: it looks okay (not great) from the front and back (apart from visible pins), but from the side doesn't please me at all. I hope her hairstyling "team" (LOL, wish I had one of those) do better in future.

Shermie Girl
May 13th, 2012, 11:43 PM
It is a pretty 'do. Elaborate? Eh... Depends on your point of view. It would be elaborate, to me, the Updo Challenged One but to someone who is used to doing beautiful, truly elaborate updos, probably not so much.

Looking carefully at it, it looks as if her hair was parted on the side and curled and sprayed to give it some oomph and grab. Her long, side swept fringe was separated, then two lace braids were done, one on each side, just above her ears, going back then the length was braided on down and fastened off. It looks as if her fringe was then pouffed a bit then swooped back and anchored at the back of her head. Then the bulk of her length was sectioned into multiple pieces, twisted and coiled onto the back of her head and pinned into place with the ends left out in curls. After that, the braids from each side were brought back, kind of "stacked" on top of the rest of the updo and anchored into place with more pins. Then the whole thing was sprayed to help keep it in place.

That's how it looks to me, anyway. :D

If I could figure out how to do lace braids, I'd give that 'do a try. :p

Kira94
May 14th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I think it's pretty. :)

piffyanne
May 14th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Style is lovely, dress is beautiful.

Oh, it's sparklies like this that make me LOVE the LHC. I almost fell off my chair laughing.

I love the dress, and I wish we could set TorrinPaige or one of our other hairstylers (I know Torrin's name better because her videos are my lifeblood) loose on her just ONCE, and see whether the media start calling for an overhaul of the entire fashion system. :D

kidari
May 14th, 2012, 01:02 AM
I think her updo is gorgeous. It's crazy how hair is heat styled and then teased and hair sprayed for updos but I do understand the necessity for it to come out amazing on the first try and last through an event without any mishaps.

wandlimb
May 14th, 2012, 04:28 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw this, but one of the Mail columnists wrote (last week?) moaning about how Kate's hair was too long and dragging her down etc... Diana's was much better... too old for it... she (the columnist) had just had her shoulder-length hair cut short and it was so much better.... :rolleyes: Philistine. I think she'd die of fright if she came on here!

I'd like to see Kate do more updos, they suit her.

Xandergrammy
May 14th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Remember, to most people, that IS an elaborate updo. And I think she looks lovely, as usual. I'm very impressed with her dress. It's perfect in every way. :inlove:

Nae
May 14th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I thought it was quite pretty. "Elaborate" is hard to quantify. It is a little like "tall," line up a whole bunch of people and the tallest ones could be labeled tall, but where along the line is the break from average to tall? What happens when an NBA basketball player walks in? Then everyone is short comparatively.

I think it is a pretty updo. It might not be elaborate compared to some LHC styles.....but come on people. We ARE the NBA players of the updo world you know.;)

bunzfan
May 14th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I agree with pepperminttea lets make it up has a tutorial virtually the same as that, but i also think it looks very pretty and that dress is gorgeous :crush:

spidermom
May 14th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I wonder if people would be so critical about her "amateur" up-do if she were a member and posted a "what do you think of my new up-do" thread.

moon2dove
May 14th, 2012, 10:00 AM
She looked gorgeous in her 'elaborate updo' and her dress was stunning too :p

10 out of 10 to her hairdresser/stylist!

kamikaze hair
May 14th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I really liked the updo, I loved the dress, but her shoes, HER SHOES!!!!!! I LOVE JIMMY CHOOS.

But seriously, I actually thought the hair looked really nice. maybe not as smooth as what I would have pictured on her, but she still wore it well. It would be nice to know if it can be done minus the teasing and curling and texturising before hand.

I also like the idea of making up some sort of look at this pic, lets see how many of us can recreate it on ourselves thread.

Rosetta
May 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Remember, to most people, that IS an elaborate updo.
Exactly! By today's standards it's actually very elaborate... And I know I couldn't do that :wink:

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but one of the Mail columnists wrote (last week?) moaning about how Kate's hair was too long and dragging her down etc... Diana's was much better... too old for it... she (the columnist) had just had her shoulder-length hair cut short and it was so much better.... :rolleyes:

This "long hair dragging you down" is something I just can't understand... And "too old for it", isn't she just 29 or something; I've seen women over 50 rocking long hair (long by non-LHC standards)...

ravenreed
May 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM
As I said, I would be impressed if someone did it herself. It is much harder to work on the back of your own head. But presumably professionals did this one?

It is kind of like if you make a dress yourself, even if it isn't seamstress quality, that is really impressive and worthy of positive feedback to most people. But if you are wearing something made by seamstress and show up with raggedy hems and an askew button, people might be more critical.

I wonder if people would be so critical about her "amateur" up-do if she were a member and posted a "what do you think of my new up-do" thread.

jacqueline101
May 14th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think its pretty.

Andreeaea
May 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Beautiful!

heidi w.
May 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Not a bad attempt. It looks to me that some strands of the bun somehow got out of whack. It looked to me that her stylist made kind of 3 smaller poofy loops of hair. Those stylists would do well to take a class from Maria at the NYC GM salon!! LOL

I like the dress overall, but I don't like the V on the front of the fabric that hides her boobs. Not that I'd have her in lace showing off the ladies. It's a pretty dress, but I find the V bit distracting from the overall beauty of the dress.

Oh, well, I wasn't consulted ahead of time. LOL

heidi w.

Capybara
May 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I think it's a very flattering updo. I may be alone in thinking this, but having a few loops of hair or pins out of place doesn't make a bad updo. They all don't have to be sleek and perfectly in place - a little dosorder is welcome in my books, and hers is pretty near perfect if you ask me it doesn't look awkward or uncomfortable, but natural . If I'd seen that hairdo on a different person (say in daily life) I'd have been super impressed :) I like it a lot.