PDA

View Full Version : tlc for the extra neglected hair?

Schnee
May 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Ok, so my hair has been more neglected than ususal the last two years, so it desperatly needs som tlc for the summer. I don't have updated pic, but it's long, about mid calf, but the ends have seen better days and need care and/or trimming (don't have time or energy, really...). My hair is DRY, needs a trim and I need new updos! help help help...

Oh, yeah, did I mention I think I'm going grey? Or at least snow white hairs has been spotted more than once!

ravenreed
May 11th, 2012, 12:30 PM
A small trim can do wonders for the general feel of the hair. I would start with that. I can't offer many suggestions for updos at your length, but my favorites for hotter weather are the nautilus bun and the wraparound crown braid. Have you tried a catnip soak? I notice my hair feels so much smoother and more conditioned when I use it.

I don't know what your routine is, but lately, when my hair is unhappy, I do a clarifying wash. I apply a good amount of argan oil mixed with camellia, and let that sit a few hours. I CO it all out, and then follow with an ACV rinse, and then do catnip as a leave in. My hair has been feeling a lot better. I had some health issues and my hair was just feeling raggedy and icky. It is finally all back to normal.

afu
May 11th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Again, i can't do much in the way up updo suggestions - im just not experience with that amount of hair!

My suggestion would be a small trim and an SMT, have you considered going CO? did wonders for my ends

Madora
May 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Could you try this for an updo?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=90386

1) Dutch braid hair loosely all the way to ends
2) Bring braid up so that it sits flat next to center braid
3) Thread end of braid through top of center braid
4) Coil remaining braid in a bun, perching it above center bun

or

once the hair has been threaded through the center braid, take remaining hair, comb it out, divide in two, and twist one section over other section to the end. Then take the twisted hair and coil in a bun.

Schnee
May 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Thank you for your input. :) I'll have to look into COing again. Didn't work for me before, might now though. And a SMT is probably a good idea, just need som time to let it work, not easy with 18 months old twins.. ;)

leilasahhar
May 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Fenugreek! Mix the powder with hot water and it turns into soft gel like paste..I leave it on my hair for an hour then rinse. It has really helped my hair. I finally have soft hair again like when I was younger. The only drawback is the oniony smell. But I put a few drops of rosemary oil and it masks it well.

"Lady Sahhar of the night jeweled desert in the order of the Long Haired Knights"

mzBANGBANG
May 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM
My dry ends are always resolved by clarifying, if that helps! I spritz vinegar on the ends while I'm in the shower and it clears it up. Tiny trims never hurt, either.

My best hair has been with using olive oil before I shower. I can't do CO so I do CWC instead, using the oil as my first C. Followed by a nice cold water rinse, and oooh there's the shine.

swearnsue
May 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
There is a great video by heidi w. and her hair is as long or longer as yours. She shows how to gently detangle, oil and do an updo with details on the video so they are easy to follow.

Beatnik Guy
May 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Good to see you here, Schnee! Your twins are 18 months old already?

I have no tips other than regular oiling, but I'm sure your hair at mid-calf is looking pretty great anyhow. :)

Schnee
May 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Good to see you here, Schnee! Your twins are 18 months old already?

I have no tips other than regular oiling, but I'm sure your hair at mid-calf is looking pretty great anyhow. :)

Thank you! It's been a long time!

It's been 18 months since my hair got any tlc beyond occasional wash, condition and maybe detangling... Just had a closer look at my hair tonight and yeah, it's not great, but a new and more regular routine might help. Will rummage through kitchen cabinets tomorrow for some oil. I believe I have some avocado oil and my hair used to love that. :)